OtakuBoards

Random Facts

Guest Syrius

Well, i thought to make this new thread in the hopes of some interesting, possibly amusing replys. You just simply post true stuff randomly, whether it is a not very well known fact, or just stating the obvious. Each time you post one, you start off by typing in Random Fact #whatever the next nuber in line is, get it? Good.

I think i'll start it off then.

Random Fact #1: The sport rugby is an all amateur sport, you do not get paid to play it, because their is no "going pro" You actually have to pay to play it. Pay for all of your gear, etc... And if you happen to get hurt, which chances are you will, you better hope you have good insurance, because they will not pay for your hospital bill.
However there is a league in England and soley in England where you are paid to play it as a career type of thing, but It has its own rules, and is different.

Random Fact #2: There is a law in the states, though no longer enforced, and pretty much forgotten, is still however in the books: It is illegal to sell alcohol to indians or part indians. In which case, if it was still in affect, no matter what my age, i'd never be able to purchase it.

• Replies 51
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=chobits743]Oh, I have a really creepy and gross fact!

Once in your lifetime, you have swallowed a spider.

EEEEWWWW!!!I hate spiders, and there you have it.Hehe... :animeswea[/QUOTE][FONT=Times New Roman][COLOR=Sienna]

Once in a lifetime? It's significantly more than that... and other bugs, too. You swallow bugs in your sleep all the time, and they're in the food we eat despite whatever sanitation procedures we use. Sorry to gross you out ;)

[/COLOR][/FONT]

[quote name='Wikipedia][FONT=Trebuchet MS']Pigs lack sweat glands, thus they must have access to water or mud to cool themselves during hot weather. They also use mud as a form of sunscreen to protect their skin from sunburn.[/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]As far as I know, they're also one of the only animals able to see the wind.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Farto the Magic']In Iowa, if three indians are walking down the street, they are considered a war party and can legally be shot.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I have but one word: damn.[/SIZE]

-The original Volkswagen Beetle was commissioned by Aldof Hitler and designed by Ferdinand Porsche.

-Ostriches cannot fly, but they are the fastest animal on two legs and can outrun a racehorse.

-A dime has 118 ridges around the edge

-M&M's were endorsed (and owe most of ther sucess) the the US Military during WW2 who needed a candy that could hold up in their pockets and backpacks and could b e eaten without getting their trigger fingers sticky.

-A slinky comprises 80 feet of wire

-The Rubik's Cube can be twisted and turned into over 43,252,003,274,489,856,000 (around fourty-three quintillion) configurations in the attempt to line up one solid color on all six sides.

-The man who commisioned the Mona Lisa refused it

I love random facts... can you tell?

[QUOTE=Drix D'Zanth]-The original Volkswagen Beetle was commissioned by Aldof Hitler and designed by Ferdinand Porsche.

[/QUOTE][FONT=Arial][COLOR=Sienna]

To expand on that, the original Beetle was rather ugly. Adolf was the one who gave it the cute features and curves that make it the greatest selling car in existance.

Funny, inn't.

And no, the fastest animal on two legs is obviously Speedy Gonzalas.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Oh God, I love these.

A hospital in Las Vegas had to fire some of it's workers because they were betting on whether patients would live or die.

Pearls melt in water.

A koala bear isn't a real bear. It's a squirrel.

There are 3000 pimps in Las Vegas.

Women digest more lipstick than they apply.

1/3 of snake bite victims are drunk. 1/5 of them have tatoos.

And I have more than this.[/SIZE]

Going great so far, hope this thread stays for a long time.

Another random fact, Adolf hitler was responsible for ordering the deaths of over 11 thousand of his own people (jews, mentally handicapped, not blond haired blue eyed, etc.) Joseph Stalin however was responsible for about 25-27 thousand of his own people. Anyone know why HE wasn't considered the worst?

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]
-a "jiffy" is an actual unit of time for 1/100th of a second
-it's physically impossible to lick your elbow
-typewriter is the longest word that can be made by only using the letters on one row of the keyboard
-average life span of a major league baseball: 7 pitches :animesmil [/FONT]

[QUOTE=Syrius]
Random Fact #1: The sport rugby is an all amateur sport, you do not get paid to play it, because their is no "going pro" You actually have to pay to play it. Pay for all of your gear, etc... And if you happen to get hurt, which chances are you will, you better hope you have good insurance, because they will not pay for your hospital bill.
However there is a league in England and soley in England where you are paid to play it as a career type of thing, but It has its own rules, and is different.
[/QUOTE] [color=crimson] Actually, players in New Zealand, South Africa, and Australia [i]do[/i] get paid for 1st XV and representational Rugby. Rugby is a professional sport where I come from, and it's big business. I'm pretty sure that players in the top teams get medical as well.

[quote=Ziggy Stardust][font=Arial][color=Sienna] To expand on that, the original Beetle was rather ugly. Adolf was the one who gave it the cute features and curves that make it the greatest selling car in existance.
[/quote] Adolf Herbie? Whoever designed the beetle, despot or otherwise, the thing's still cute.

[quote][/color][/font]In Iowa, if three indians are walking down the street, they are considered a war party and can legally be shot.[/quote] Wow, I wonder why, in the days when the "Indian" is now the Native American, some of these laws haven't been amended, I'd would not be living in Iowa if I was one of "dem injuns!"[/color]

[quote name='myst][FONT=Comic Sans MS']-it's physically impossible to lick your elbow[/FONT][/quote]
[SIZE=1]For a majority of people this rings true, but I have seen it done.

And after a quick search for something interesting: There is a giant mushroom in Oregon that is over 2,400 years old, covers 3.4 square miles of land, and is still growing!

Anyone else heard of this?[/SIZE]

J. Gordon Whitehead delivered three punches to Harry Houdini's abdomen--later considered a contributing factor in Houdini's death.

The last letter George Harrison ever wrote went to Mike Myers of Austin Powers fame. He requested a Mini-Me doll. The letter was delivered by a private investigator on the day he died.

Charlie Chaplin once won third prize in a Charlie Chaplin look-alike contest.

The turkeys pardoned by U.S. presidents usually die within a matter of weeks; they are bred to be eaten. They usually don't live longer than 18 months.

I have too much free time.

George Washington's false teeth were hand-carved from hippopotamus ivory and cow?s teeth, then fastened to his mouth with a set of metal springs.

It's illegal in Alabama to wear a fake moustache that causes laughter in church.

And now you know, and knowing is half the battle.
GO JOE!

[SIZE=1]In response to Gavin: Pigs can have orgasms up to two hours long! I got that one from Xion. >_>

-In the olde days (like Elizabethen times in England) it was considered fasionable to have rotten teeth, because it meant you could afford sugar which was highly expensive.

-Female Bed Bugs have no reproductive organs, so when it is time for them to breed, they fill their abdomens with blood so that the male can pierce it and fertilize her eggs. Usually, the female is too large to move and ends up 'mating' with three males at the same time. Talk about a violent society, heh.

And that's all I got. I refuse to find a site that tells me these things.[/SIZE]

[font=Trebuchet MS]Walt Disney had wooden teeth and hated Jews.

And old, outmoded laws nobody's bothered to revoke yet are always amusing:

Technically all English taxis are required by law to carry a bale of hay, to feed the horse that would have pulled them when they were Hansom cabs.

And this one may be an urban myth because I've heard so many different versions of it, but I think it's legal to kill a Scotsman, as long as you do it in York town centre, with a bow and arrow.
[quote name='Ezekiel][/font][size=1]Pigs can have orgasms up to two hours long![/size'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] Well, if we're going to go into animal coitus, the genitalia of the male pig is the same shape as his tail: curly like a spring.
[/font]

[COLOR=#004a6f]There are over 100 (or was it 1000?) names for "camel" in Arabic, each name describing the camel in a different state, position or mood.

Although I'm arabic, I'm ahamed to say I only know two of them: The orignal word, simply meaning "Camel", which is "Jamal", and the "female camel", which is "Ibil".[/COLOR]

[size=1][font=georgia]Gotta love the piggies.

[list]Pigs can run a mile in 7 1/2 minutes.[/list]
[list]If you sleep in a cold room, you are more likely to have a bad dream/nightmare.[/list]
[list]A can of SPAM is opened every four seconds.[/list]

I rememberthose from the BuddyProfile Random Facts that are in some peoples' AIM profiles.[/size][/font]

[SIZE=1]Eh....

20% of the deaths in the world are caused by vending machines.

You can fit 36 drops of water on the face of a penny.

The average person spends 3 years on the toilet.

I think it was, it's illegal to fish in the Mississipp River in Illinois without an Indiana fishing license. Or the other way around. I don't remember.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Garamond]Starcraft was the first thing ever to use the word "pwned," which came about after a game designer misspelled it.

In Oregon it's illegal to whisper dirty things in your lover?s ear during intercourse. It's also illegal to towel dry your dishes.

It's illegal to go whaling in Oklahoma.

It's illegal to molest a butterfly in California.[/FONT][/COLOR]