OtakuBoards

Bleach Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Guest Juice Boy

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Not a bad chapter, but then not a great chapter either. Kishi's gigantic open panels which only ever focus on one character or one object take a story could've been condensed into five/six pages without any loss as per usual which is slightly annoying.

Fullbring felt like a bit of an ass-pull as well initially but actually makes quite a bit of sense. I don't agree with the idea that objects have "souls" but I do agree that there is some level of spiritual energy within them. Remember that Quincy fight by gathering spirit energy, it's higher in Soul Society and even higher again in Hueco Mundo but there is still a distinct level of spiritual energy in the Living World. When Uryuu released his Quincy Final Form in Seireitei against Kurotsuchi he was literally able to break down distinct physical stone structures into spirit particles (Particle Subjugation as Mayuri termed it) and I would guess that a powerful enough Quincy could do something similar on a much smaller scale to Living World objects and structures.

Therefore Fullbring to me seems like an off-shoot Quincy ability (albeit a Bankai-tier one) to manipulate the spirit particles/energy within objects to their own benefit. Small stuff like making alcohol flow from a glass into the mouth while impressive-looking probably isn't that difficult, but completely warping and expanding a small cross into a zweihander is probably more difficult and may even require the pumping of one's own spiritual energy into the object to keep it from becoming unstable (assuming Kubo has any respect for the laws of conservation of energy and matter).

I'm actually kind of curious whether this hints at the origins of the Shinigami themselves too, because there is a lot of stuff here which seems like proto-Shinigami abilities.

...Or of course Kubo could be just ripping off FMA this week instead of Psyren and the Fullbringers are alchemists. [/size][/font]

• Replies 1.2k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Err... Fullbring, hard to say. I see a bit of Fullmetal and Hunter x Hunter when it comes to comparing that type of ability. You can throw Psyren in the mix there as well with the shape manipulation (and the cream stuff with the drink).

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]*Shrugs*

Apparently the title is pretty explicit about the "souls" part but it still makes no sense to me. Souls are something living beings have, part of an overall consciousness and to say inanimate objects possess a soul sounds weird, unless I guess you're looking at it from a Taoist/Jedi perspective and then the overall soul which everything is a part of makes a bit of sense. Still prefer my spirit particles theory.

Raises an interesting question regarding the Spirit King as well though, Urahara and Aizen referring to it as "it" and "that thing" doesn't seem so...off. Could be the Spirit King isn't a person but some sort of regulatory device.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1293409177' post='703322']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"] unless I guess you're looking at it from a Taoist/Jedi perspective and then the overall soul which everything is a part of makes a bit of sense.
[/size][/font]
[/quote]
Believe it or not, the first thing that came to mind when I saw fullbring was "The Force". I do think it's a bit stupid as well. Alcohol having a soul.... I rather Kubo used a different way of wording that or something instead of saying that non-living objects have a soul. Hell, he's been redoing events and powers through and through, he could've just came out and said all things are control-able or something, much like Zommari's ability.

• 4 weeks later...
Personally, i love bleach coz its unique in its genre, like death gods and their unique soul reaping blades and all. But i dun see much character development, i mean the main character is still that reckless shounen with too much power to handle. But still great anime.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Ugh, yet another new training arc. Riruka is a dumbass who's even less likeable than all of the other girls with a crush on Ichigo. I seriously worry how long this arc is going to take to either make sense or introduce anything even vaguely related to advancing a plot outside of "Ichigo gets new powahs".

Spoilers tomorrow better thrill me or I'm considering dropping Bleach for a few months, even Kishi with all his Uchiha-wank at least know how to create some interest for a while.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1296568197' post='704585']
[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Ugh, yet another new training arc. Riruka is a dumbass who's even less likeable than all of the other girls with a crush on Ichigo. I seriously worry how long this arc is going to take to either make sense or introduce anything even vaguely related to advancing a plot outside of "Ichigo gets new powahs".

Spoilers tomorrow better thrill me or I'm considering dropping Bleach for a few months, even Kishi with all his Uchiha-wank at least know how to create some interest for a while.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
Hey, I'm doing that with One Piece and am very tempted to do that with this as well, especially seeing that Ichigo's training in a dollhouse.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Yup. The whole Fullbring thing is such a departure from Bleach it's pretty ridiculous. I mean Shinigami have had what, several thousand years to refine their powers. Quincies had hundreds/thousands and we're supposed to believe that just getting attacked by a Hollow empowers a soul with huge power ? I mean yeah, Urahara said souls get stronger if they're placed in danger but the variety of powers commanded by the Fullbringers is kinda silly, on top of the fact if they're such goodie-goodies where were they when Aizen was planning on trashing the place ?

Nothing from Soul Society, or Hueco Mundo, or even an acknowledgement that Ichigo went to Urahara about restoring his powers (because Urahara knows everything supposedly). Just feels like Kubo decided "wiping the slate clean, restarting with a training arc that makes no sense and expect people to roll with it". Sorry, but I want to know what's happened with Soul Society in the meanwhile (aside from that Neo Central 46 bullshit), how Hueco Mundo is coping now that Aizen and his cronies have been removed from the picture (Grimmjow alive or dead ? New Hollow King ?), have the Vizards reintegrated into Soul Society and the Gotei or are they still hiding out in the real world. Did Ichigo have any kind of conversation with Isshin about who is is/was ? (Clearly not)

Sure, we're probably going to lead into all of that in six months once the Fullbrings origins, identities and aims are revealed (along with a new villain who kidnaps someone leading to a new rescue arc) but compared to other mangas Bleach always feels so dragged out at the beginning of a new arc. Can't believe Psyren was canned and we have to settle for this instead.[/size][/font]

([size=1]I'm getting flak for not liking this so I'm about to go on a rant. You've been warned. Might even see some language I haven't used in a long time[/size]).

I agree with everything Gavin said, but while he wants to know that, I want to know how Aizen knew about Ichigo from the beginning. I want to know how Isshin fits into all that and why no one else knew about Isshin except Aizen, which might be coming soon or later but, honestly, my patience has pretty much ran out. How the hell did Aizen get Ulquiorra to join him? Basically everything I want to know revolves around Aizen and yet there's this big ass void stretching from the end of the last arc to the bullshit I've been seeing in this arc.

The only thing I've found interesting with this arc is the conversation between the new guy and Ichigo. This dollhouse, Mr. Piggy and the rest of these new characters pisses me off as well. Originally I thought the guy with the hat was interesting or going to be, but that interest diminished as soon as he opened his mouth. Riruka is definately another Hiyori which is quite annoying (I didn't like Hiyori either) because all I've seen from her is a bunch of yelling and blushing. How people can excuse this and continuously come up with excuse after excuse for Kubo with bullshit is beyond me. How patient must one continue to be to get these answers? 6 months? Outside of fanboys, who the hell is going to do that? Hell, I don't even know if I can edge out 3 let alone 2.

[strike][size=1]I have no issues with people liking this arc whatsoever. Continue doing so, but stop assuming that if I don't like this arc it's because I miss the action.[/size][/strike]

Had to get that off my chest.

With that being said, no I didn't like this chapter either. (I'm probably banned already from this other place) Edited by Magus

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Agreed, this chapter felt like a complete waste. As per usual he's doing 5 pages of storytelling with 20 pages of art. Riruka is indeed another Hiyori, except Hiyori at least had the common decency to not develop an attraction to Ichigo so we didn't need to deal with stupid blushes and "Of course I don't like him" that takes up valuable page time. At least when Chad showed up he cut through all the bullshit and just said "Ichigo, use your Badge", and seemingly Ramen Guy was of the same mentality. If Kubo is that desperate to recreate the Ichigo/Hiyori training sessions, let him do it through her showing up to help Urahara restore his powers which leads to a bit more story on what the Vizards are doing now, and Soul Society's state, but no that would be too sensible and easy.

One of Bleach's biggest problems has always been it has a huge amount of secondary characters who lack development, and now that the Aizen storyline is finished it would've been the perfect opportunity to take all those characters and flesh them out a bit more leading to the Royal Guard arc. I mean obviously, if Aizen can get perilously close to actually creating the King's Key, only to be stopped by a very short margin and a power-up of godlike levels for Ichigo, then someone upstairs should notice. Have Hikifune return bearing a message from the Soul King saying that for its failure Soul Society and the current Shinigami are to be cleansed (because they like the death penalty and it would make an interesting twist) thereby forcing Ichigo to try to regain his powers to save everyone. No need to introduce the Fullbringers and their BS, Chad can have been sent to Hueco Mundo, given the nature of his powers its to his own benefit to develop and be just returning as the plot kicks off.

Of course we could also do something other than a Training Arc -> Rescue Arc.[/size][/font]

[quote name='Gavin' timestamp='1296724266' post='704659'][font="Tahoma"][size="2"]One of Bleach's biggest problems has always been it has a huge amount of secondary characters who lack development, and now that the Aizen storyline is finished it would've been the perfect opportunity to take all those characters and flesh them out a bit more leading to the Royal Guard arc. I mean obviously, if Aizen can get perilously close to actually creating the King's Key, only to be stopped by a very short margin and a power-up of godlike levels for Ichigo, then someone upstairs should notice. Have Hikifune return bearing a message from the Soul King saying that for its failure Soul Society and the current Shinigami are to be cleansed (because they like the death penalty and it would make an interesting twist) thereby forcing Ichigo to try to regain his powers to save everyone. No need to introduce the Fullbringers and their BS, Chad can have been sent to Hueco Mundo, given the nature of his powers its to his own benefit to develop and be just returning as the plot kicks off.[/size][/font]
[/quote]
The killing part is I usually don't have a problem with the development of Bleach's secondary characters. As long as they were awesome it didn't matter to me (my issue was how they went out). Now that we're into this arc I find myself caring about that stuff more and more as of late. Hell, I didn't care for plot until this giant hole. I just knew we were going to get those answers or see how everything fell into place when Aizen was defeated. Kubo usually reveals the plot when it comes to Aizen (oh how the plot just fell into place when he betrayed SS and it was great). Anyway, now I'm just repeating what I've already ranted about.

While I'm not defending this chapter of Bleach, I can't say I had much of an issue with it either. It's the most excitment I've seen of Bleach since Aizen's end so I'm kind of intrigued now. Although, I will say that Ichigo's weapon is corny. For one, I don't really understand what it's suppose to be. Two, if his weapon is going to look like that until he get his powers back I will be disappointed. I'd much rather see his badge turn into a sword or an actual weapon than continue looking like Zangetsu's hinge. But I definately agree. Psyren shouldn't have been canned for this current arc of Bleach.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]Agreed, even if the sword hadn't been Zangetsu proper, having it morph into an actual Shinigami weapon as opposed to some Naruto knock-off would've been infinitely preferable. Basically he seems to be able to throw the expanded manji of the guard and it acts like some kind of shuriken which can then fire out a weaker version of his Getsuga Tenshou (or as others have pointed out it's Kubo's take on the FRS).

I'll give a look at next weeks chapter but the crawl the story has been reduced to is pretty agonising. Back when it was slice of life it was tolerable because it was at least funny/entertaining, now it's just "get to the ******* point already Fullbringers plox", and that Kubo seems to forget he did exactly this kind of "dangerous training" three, four times already. I'd honestly have rathered Urahara turning up mysteriously and saying he'd found a way to restore Ichigo's powers (say by stimulating his Hollow's regeneration) and while that was taking place have the manga switch over to Karen and detail her development until the point where she's trying to fight off a much more powerful enemy only to have Ichigo step in with his restored powers and defeat it, immensely cliché but Kubo doesn't really do original anymore. Introducing yet another set of good and bad guys and the inevitable rescue (Orihime you'd better ******* beat that guy) arc will be just tedious as hell.[/size][/font]

Oh no, HELL no. If Orihime gets captured again, I'm done. I refuse to put up with her being kidnapped once more. I don't know if I can put up with anyone being kidnapped, honestly, especially if they're just going to sit there and do nothing.

[font="Tahoma"][size="2"]This week's chapter seemed to be a bit of an improvement on last weeks, finally seem to have both some movement of plot and a few more questions raised about the exact nature of Fullbringers and more importantly their intentions. Some eerily plausible theories floating about out there too and hopefully we're not too far away from seeing the return of the other half of my favourite pairing.

Also Photobucket you suck.

Oh, and as per my new position:[/SIZE]

[color="#FF0000"][SIZE="7"][b][CENTER]POWER!! UNLIMITED POWER!!!![/CENTER][/b][/size][/font][/color] Edited by Gavin

I think I've read both Naruto and Bleach on either Wednesday or Thursday, it's just now I have a chance to actually talk about it. I have to admit that I actually chuckled a bit at this weeks chapter. Ichigo's face after getting sneezed on was funny along with that guy looking at Orihime. I don't want to jump the gun just yet and say she was actually doing something because it did look like she was attacking but then this guy is an idiot. But I still that pretty funny as well. Like I said, though, if she gets kidnapped again I'm done. I'd rather she lose than get kidnapped. At least then I won't complain about her not doing anything.

Oh yeah, congrats on the position change, Gavin. Now you have an obligation to keep the Psyren thread on the first page :). Edited by Magus

• 2 weeks later...