OtakuBoards

How do I move up in ranks or whatever....

Ol' Fighter

[color=#4B0082]Okay, just to clear up any confusion, I'll spell it out straight. This is the process for hiring new moderators:

[list=1]
[*]The staff determine that a new moderator is needed in a forum.
[*]We look for high quality members who know and follow the rules and who are at least somewhat active in the forum in question.
[*]When we find someone suited to being a moderator of that forum, we PM them to offer them the position.
[*]They either accept, in which case they're made a moderator, or they decline, in which case we go back to step 2.
[/list]
Post count has little to nothing to do with who gets picked. There have been times when we've hired staff when they had less than 100 posts, and they've worked out wonderfully. There's also been staff with thousands of posts who've ended up being fired. So whether you're a "Member" or a "New Member" has little to do with it.[/color]

It would actually be kind of fun having those titles back, When v6 ended, I had barely begun my member phase and was prepared to slaughter millions for not being able to get to the somewhat coveted Extreme Otaku title.

It was such a shame that it happened. However, as another dude said. Tons of people will spam to get away from the Dreaded 'New Member' phase.

[spoiler]And, whoohoo; I have the 152nd highest amounts of posts on the boards.[/spoiler]

[quote name='Tical][spoiler']I clock in at 89, but if you add all my old accounts, I'm in the top 25 ;) [/spoiler][/quote]

[SIZE=1]The Top 25 ? Whew, I've been round just over four and a half years and I'm still only ranked 32nd, still it's really only been in the last two years or so I've had the chance to post on a far more regular basis. Still with the Number 1 spot held by a man who can quite easily delete the posts of those who might contend with his position, I'm quite happy with where I am for the moment.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']The Top 25 ? Whew, I've been round just over four and a half years and I'm still only ranked 32nd, still it's really only been in the last two years or so I've had the chance to post on a far more regular basis. Still with the Number 1 spot held by a man who can quite easily delete the posts of those who might contend with his position, I'm quite happy with where I am for the moment.[/SIZE][/quote]

Yep. Lets see... the origional Tical account had I think 485 or something like that, Kyo no ryu had somewhere around 1300 and my other, smaller accounts put together add up to somewhere between 500 and 700. And right now I think I have around 1200.

That adds up to around... 3,500 posts. Yep.

Anyway, to elabprate on my idea of having your rank determined by how long you've been here, it would have to be in days you've actually been active. I realize, though, that this system is probably rediculously hard to crate.

[quote name='Tical']Anyway, to elabprate on my idea of having your rank determined by how long you've been here, it would have to be in days you've actually been active. I realize, though, that this system is probably rediculously hard to crate.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]I was actually just trying to think of ways to create a special title system aside from the current Custom Title that people would find acceptable and fair. While your active days system sounds a very valid way to do this Tical I reckon creating the code to do so would be nightmarish as an undertaking. Instead how about a system where once every month, or any set period, the Staff come together and pick out one nominee from their respective forum/s to be given a new title to reflect their standing in said forum. For instance the Arena title could be Adventurer of the Month - May 2006, I think people would be happy as it's a title of some standing and can't be spammed to achieve. Anyone's thoughts ? Having had some experience creating Special User titles, I know it wouldn't be difficult, although the strife among Staff in deciding a single winner for each forum might. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][SIZE=1']I was actually just trying to think of ways to create a special title system aside from the current Custom Title that people would find acceptable and fair. While your active days system sounds a very valid way to do this Tical I reckon creating the code to do so would be nightmarish as an undertaking. Instead how about a system where once every month, or any set period, the Staff come together and pick out one nominee from their respective forum/s to be given a new title to reflect their standing in said forum. For instance the Arena title could be Adventurer of the Month - May 2006, I think people would be happy as it's a title of some standing and can't be spammed to achieve. Anyone's thoughts ? Having had some experience creating Special User titles, I know it wouldn't be difficult, although the strife among Staff in deciding a single winner for each forum might. [/SIZE][/quote]

That... would be so bad-***! *can see self being titled Master Musician or something* it's so perfect!

One thing though... if someone gains that title, it would also mean they wouldn't have any other title, right? And then there'd be someone else getting their same title every month.

SOOOO.... I suggest you make it so you only pick one candidate from select forums, as certain forums get no play whatsoever, while others are kept alive on standard. You should only hand out title if there is a particular someone who is keeping that forum alive. For example, if someone creates a bunch of popular threads in the Lounge, they get a title, and if someone makes a lot of threads in MMaT, they get a title, but if everywhere else is downright dead then there should be no title.

As for Arena, ic could go to whoever has the biggest running RPG.

I'll take my Nobel Prize now, thank you :animesmil

[QUOTE=Tical]That... would be so bad-***! *can see self being titled Master Musician or something* it's so perfect!

One thing though... if someone gains that title, it would also mean they wouldn't have any other title, right? And then there'd be someone else getting their same title every month.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]Discouting their own Custom Title yeah they'd only have the one, they wouldn't be something like Member - Master Adventurer - May 2006, it'd just be Master Adventurer - May 2006. The idea of adding the date of when the title was issued would also help to add some sense of not only time but uniqueness to the titles, for instance after a year you'd have twelve Master Adventurers but each would have their own month. As for repeat winners, well that'd be up to the staff really, after winning one maybe people shouldn't be able to win again for say six or nine months.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Tical']SOOOO.... I suggest you make it so you only pick one candidate from select forums, as certain forums get no play whatsoever, while others are kept alive on standard. You should only hand out title if there is a particular someone who is keeping that forum alive. For example, if someone creates a bunch of popular threads in the Lounge, they get a title, and if someone makes a lot of threads in MMaT, they get a title, but if everywhere else is downright dead then there should be no title.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]By having one for each forum, you're effectively giving everyone equal chance of winning one, some people like myself don't go anywhere near the Anime forums because we have no interest and the same applies for others in other sections. By having one for each you're not excluding anyone. By having a set time period between giving out titles you're effectively giving people a chance to prove themselves, I don't think just because someone can create a bunch of popular threads they should automatically earn a title, it should be based on their addition to the forum as a whole.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Tical]As for Arena, ic could go to whoever has the biggest running RPG.

I'll take my Nobel Prize now, thank you :animesmil[/QUOTE]

[size=1]It could, but one successful RPG doesn't make a master role-player, as I said it would be better to examine a person's contributions to the forum as a whole rather than reward a person for a single success. [/size]

This topic has started to stray pretty far from its original purpose, and any further discussion of hypothetical titles will only heighten the risk of confusing people, so... bam. Closed. :)

I would also venture to suggest that--however harmless it may be--discussion of personal post counts & post count rankings is in rather poor taste. Those who find themselves burning with curiosity about it can always have a look at the Members List.

Thread closed.

~Dagger~