OtakuBoards

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Dagger

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Yeah. The only way to get broadcast order is to buy the special editions, which contain a subbed-only broadcast disc as well as the regular bilingual disc. Bandai had to fight very hard for that, apparently (which might have been why they had, like, five polls on the ASOS site about broadcast order versus DVD order--to show Kadokawa that fans do have strong preferences).

It's one of the rare cases in which the R1 release of an anime has stuff that the R2 release never offered. If the show ever airs on TV in the US, though, it'll have to air in broadcast order. Contractual stipulations are weird.

ETA: Michelle Ruff is Yuki.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Raiyuu]Wait, you mean they're releasing the DVD episodes in [i]chronological[/i] order?

That'll really mess up the pace of the series, not to mention taking away one of its more nutty features.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]ZOMG I WAS UNAWARE OF THIS!!!

If this thing is true, I may have to scale the Kadokawa headquarters, murder all the CEOs, paint myself with their blood, go on a rampage through the office Gungrave style, hunt down everyone I can recognize from the videos on asosbrigade.com, and finally, snipe Crispin Freeman jus for the hell of it.

The lack of chronology is one of my favorite features of Haruhi. I'm glad I finally get the chance to explain why. You seem one major thing that has always annoyed me about stories in general is the climax. Now, it's only natural that the climax comes at the end, cuz if it came at the beginning you wouldn't car to watch/read/play the rest of the story, right? The things is, in real life, the bigest thing doesn't always happen last. Your life doesn't set itself up into rising action-climax-denoument.

That's why stories like Haruhi and Boogiepop And Others appeal to me. Both of them take this into consideration and mix up the timeline, so that the climax is really somewhere in the middle of the story. As a matter of fact, and I'm sure they did this deliberately, both stories' part that takes place at the end of the timeline is actually the most slow-moving. It brings a whole other layer of realism to the story, which is necessary, since both of them are 'it could realy happen' stories.

EDITED: to say Kadokawa >_>[/COLOR]

[COLOR=#0e1030][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Wow, after watching in normal order, and getting bored and watching it back in chronological order ( I had lotsa free time today). I finally finished the series and all I have left to say is well, wow.

----
Ah after much delay (health reasons and whatnot) I can finally post mah thoughts.

First of all, this series really turned up to be the exact opposite of what I had though it would have been like. Having the setting in a high school that (at first sight) seemed relatively harmless and I though it could have ended up as some odd kind of Shojo series.

After the second episode though it really livened up my spirits seeing as Haruhi bluntly admitting what she wanted for the club. [spoiler]Having powers that are similar to that of a god pretty much does enable you to do whatever you want[/spoiler].

Her actions are probably what really kept me watching. Her being a[spoiler] child abductor, child molester, black mail expert, instant detective, starfleet commander, and a rock star[/spoiler]

The other thing that kinda irked me was the episode listing, while at first I didn't get at all, soon threw me into much chaos and dismay. However, after watching the series both ways. It seemed to me that the original ending (the way it was aired one), seemed more like an ending than the chronological one. Its kind of hard to explain but for me it just had more of that ending feeling on me while the chronological one just seemed more or less "eh.."

All in all I really, really, [I]really[/I] enjoyed this series and pretty depressed that I missed the original bandwagon when it first came out. I'll be here for season two though. :animesmil
[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

I haven't yet watched Haruhi in chronological order, although I'll definitely try it out once I get the DVDs. Should be an interesting experience.

You hit on the main reason why they scrambled the chronology--to position the climactic story arc toward the end (where it would normally have gone). I haven't read ahead in the novels, and I'm trying to stay away from spoilers, so all I can do is speculate about this... still, though, I wonder whether that will continue to be a problem in a potential second season. If not, might they change the chronology anyway in order to incorporate side stories or something? Would people complain if they didn't come up with a special TV order, assuming the story no longer demanded it?

~Dagger~

Though I just realized I haven't posted here, I've actually been keeping up with this thread for quite a few months, ever since I saw the [halarious] first episode of Haruhi. Unfortunately, I still haven't gotten around to finishing the series yet (I think I've seen around 5 episodes at this point), and the discussion of the chronology reminded me of something I've been meaning to ask: For a first-time watcher, would it be better to watch it in order or scrambled as shown on TV? I was beginning to get pretty confused at what I'd seen so far, and was tempted just to start over from Haruhi's count. :o

I'll be starting over either way, but I'd like feedback from someone who's seen the whole series, or possibly watched in both ways.

Watch it in TV order. It'll make sense with time. Ironically, it's a much better experience as far as the flow of the story goes.

ETA: Not that I'm one to really talk, haha, but being able to surmise that without having watched chronological order is something you might not buy into until you've seen it in broadcast order for yourself. So go watch! :catgirl:

~Dagger~

Scrambled order wins because:

-The last episode is a climax and not a fade-out.
-The revelations about Yuki, Mikuru, Itsuki and Haruhi are paid out gradually instead of landing on your head in a huge, weird-shaped lump.
-There's an extra episode in the middle of the murder-mystery two-parter, and that's just cheeky.

But Dagger, it is worth watching in chrono order - some things make more sense and it gives the series a really different aesthetic overall. I just wouldn't recommend chrono order before broadcast order, which is why I'm cross with Kadokawa.

Oh, absolutely. Although heaven only knows when that'll be, given how long it's been since I had time to rewatch anything. :animeswea

I remember the one time broadcast order made me angry was when they split up the murder mystery. Don't mess with detective stories, dammit! :animesmil Cheeky indeed.

~Dagger~

Of course, the one question chrono order doesn't answer is whether or not Kyon follows through on his decision at the end of the final broadcast episode - [spoiler]to tell Haruhi about all the aliens, time travellers and espers she's surrounded with[/spoiler]. Given her continuing obliviousness in the 'later' episodes (man, this is confusing), the potential for another series and the fact that the universe didn't implode or anything, you have to assume he bottled out, or she took it as a joke or something.

Any different theories?

[strike]That's not answered in the novels?[/strike] (Then again, asking that probably takes all the fun out of it. :p)

Personally, I like to think that Kyon didn't "bottle out," as you so colorfully put it. Either she didn't believe him, or [spoiler]Yuki and co. convinced him that telling her would be somehow disastrous.[/spoiler]

~Dagger~

Yeah, I'm not bothering with the novels unless a professional English translation is published. I'm content not to spoil the series for myself.

Potential explanation:
Kyon: Umm, Haruhi ... [spoiler]Itsuki's psychic, Mikuru's from the future and Yuki is a magical alien robot[/spoiler]...
Haruhi: Dummy, Kyon! You think all those espers, time travellers and aliens are just going to fall in my lap?! Are you trying to throw me off the scent? Aha! Are the espers controlling your brain? They can't be far away, let's go before they escape! etc., etc., etc...

[color=#4B0082]I kind of figured that Kyon telling Haruhi about the others must've had something to do with the movie they made for the school festival. It seems like Haruhi wouldn't have taken Kyon seriously, judging by her actions later in the chronological order. But isn't it just a bit too convenient for Mikuru's, Yuki's, and Itsuki's roles to match up like that?[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I can't wait till this show is finally done with the first volume's dubbing. I think it comes out at the end of this month! I really want to see it. I was going to DL a fansubbed version, but the site got rid of it, because it had already be copyrighted in America. So yeah. It looks really interesting.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
I got my Haruhi package in the mail today. The artbox is so amazing that calling it a box just seems insulting. I look at it standing amidst the rest of my anime, and I experience the urge to give it an entire shelf to itself so that everything else doesn't wither away when confronted with its shiny, colorful glory. The design is ingenious, and there's artwork on every available surface. Definitely worth the money if you're a fan.

The physical extras are a yellow Haruhi cosplay ribbon, the Hare Hare Yukai CD, a mini pencil board and a Haruhiism T-shirt iron-on. The ribbon/headband is surprisingly high-quality. I can see myself wearing it casually (though maybe minus the side bows). I plan on trying out the iron-on as soon as I find myself in possession of a suitable white shirt.

Anyway, I'm going to go have a look at the on-disc extras now. I'll probably watch the actual episodes tomorrow or Monday... I'm going to give the dub a few trial episodes before I decide whether to watch it all dubbed or just spot-check as I go along.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Dagger]I got my Haruhi package in the mail today. The artbox is so amazing that calling it a box just seems insulting. I look at it standing amidst the rest of my anime, and I experience the urge to give it an entire shelf to itself so that everything else doesn't wither away when confronted with its shiny, colorful glory. The design is ingenious, and there's artwork on every available surface. Definitely worth the money if you're a fan.

The physical extras are a yellow Haruhi cosplay ribbon, the Hare Hare Yukai CD, a mini pencil board and a Haruhiism T-shirt iron-on. The ribbon/headband is surprisingly high-quality. I can see myself wearing it casually (though maybe minus the side bows). I plan on trying out the iron-on as soon as I find myself in possession of a suitable white shirt.

Anyway, I'm going to go have a look at the on-disc extras now. I'll probably watch the actual episodes tomorrow or Monday... I'm going to give the dub a few trial episodes before I decide whether to watch it all dubbed or just spot-check as I go along.

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Well, it's official. Any doubt I had about geting the special edition was just erased XD. Knowing me, it [i]will[/i] get it's own shelf, and I will proudly wear the ribbon everywhere, lol. I can't wait to buy this!!! I can't wait to loan the DVD out to everyone I know!!! I can't wait to force my brother to join the Haruhi-ism![/COLOR]

One's mileage may vary, but I think the dub is well worth watching. If nothing else, check out Episode 00--in English, it becomes as much a parody of bad dubs as of amateur filmmaking. Although all of the stilted acting is funny, Johnny Yong Bosch (Itsuki) does an especially good job of being wooden.

Crispin Freeman (Kyon) is a near-perfect fit. He really holds the English version of the show together. I particularly feel this way because I'm inclined to be harsher than usual on TMoSH's dub, and most of the other main cast members deliver strong performances that (for me personally) don't 100% hit the spot. Because of Freeman's work, I found myself able to focus on the highlights.

I warmed up to Wendee Lee (Haruhi) as the episodes went on. She's a lot better than I feared, though not totally there. You have to discard all memories of Aya Hirano to start fairly appreciating Lee's Haruhi. I liked her best in irked/angry scenes.

Anything I have to say about Michelle Ruff (Yuki) or Stephanie Sheh (Mikuru) is nitpicking. Both of them sound very much like their characters' seiyuu. Mikuru's voice grates on my nerves in either language, and I think Ruff's tone is just a tad too soft/breathy--but again, nitpicking.

JYB is surprisingly great as Itsuki. It's one of those performances that doesn't sound much like its Japanese counterpart--yet, at the same time, doesn't force you to mentally contrast them. Despite the differences, I felt that his voice melded beautifully with the character's manner & on-screen appearance. Very pleased.

The actress I desperately wanted to play Asakura does play her. I was disappointed at first, because she has the perfect voice for the character, and it wasn't turning out the way I'd hoped. You can tell when she starts to settle in. Also, her "Pretty please?" [i]smolders.[/i]

Kari Wahlgren is a fabulous, giggle-racked Tsuruya, and Kyon's male friends are also excellent, given what small roles they have.

The single best moment so far takes place during Yuki's explanation of [spoiler]her real identity.[/spoiler]

Kyon: "No way."
Yuki: "Way."

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']All the subsequent special editions (after v. 1) really get you are the broadcast order discs and the CDs--and the broadcast order can technically be recreated with the regular editions, if you have the energy for it. I think the CDs might also be sold separately.[/quote][color=#007520]Hey Dagger, did your Box have [b]The Adventures of Mikuru Asahina[/b] and [b]The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya Parts 1-3[/b]? Or did I get the wrong (non-special edition) Box? >_> I thought the Special Editions would be broadcast order... meaning [b]The Boredom of Haruhi Suzumiya[/b] should've been in there... [size=1]I hope I didn't pick up the wrong box at the con because I also bought an extra copy of Genshiken 6...[/size]

But I digress, I wasn't as pleased with Kyon as you were, especially in the first two episodes. JYB as Itsuki, though, I fell in love with the moment I heard him. Asakura gave me a similar impression when I first heard her, but she sounded better as she went along. There was that moment when we had to stop and say, "Oh! She sounded good there!"

-r2[/color]

The broadcast order DVDs will come with the special editions of the second through fourth discs. (So they'll have more episodes per volume than the regular editions they're packed with.)

~Dagger~

Well, just look at it this way: if you were planning on getting the other special editions for the broadcast order discs, you would've been automatically double-dipping on everything anyway. :p

~Dagger~

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT=Tahoma]Alright...after all the curiosity and whatnot i've decided to check this series out. There has been some nice [spoiler]fan service between Haruhi and Mikuru so far which has been quite comical and interesting[/spoiler], plus I absolutely love that Haruhi's VA is the same as Misa's from Death Note ^_^. However, being on episode 4 currently, I have to ask...what's the deal? Are episodes not in any specific type of order, or does everything eventually connect? Or...am I just going crazy?

You'll have to forgive me if this has been explained already (which it probably has) but just like with Death Note and other anime threads here i've posted in before completing the series, I do not search previous posts to avoid any threats of spoilers. [/FONT]

[COLOR=#5d0b08][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS][quote name='BKstyles']You'll have to forgive me if this has been explained already (which it probably has) but just like with Death Note and other anime threads here i've posted in before completing the series, I do not search previous posts to avoid any threats of spoilers.[/quote]
[CENTER][IMG]http://img407.imageshack.us/img407/6171/422ad92e8fa1df23efd36caiw4.png[/IMG][/CENTER]

[CENTER]Haruhi doesn't approve of laziness [/CENTER]

Anyway, if you watch the episodes int he order they were broadcasted[spoiler] You'll get the ending after Kyon and Haruhi go into closed space and all that fun stuff. Hairstyles included.[/spoiler] This ending is much more climatic than the chronological one which feels rather bland and faded out.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]