OtakuBoards

The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya

Dagger

• Replies 188
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Ah, definitely a good episode and wonderful to see [b]Haruhi Suzumiya[/b] back! (Too bad more new episodes won't pop up for, like, another month or so, haha.) "Bamboo Leaf Rhapsody" is probably the most important short story in all of [b]Haruhi Suzumiya[/b], although you might not guess it from the episode. Much as I love it, I certainly did not think of it as much more than a [spoiler]fun time travel story[/spoiler] the first time I read it. There is a ton of stuff that ends up being important later in the series, as everyone will find out once the anime gets to that point. :)

But enough of that -- it's just awesome to see Haruhi be a jerk, Kyon be uber sarcastic and have his face in "WTF" mode for half the episode, Mikuru be cute, Itsuki be an airhead and Yuki be fantastically stoic.

[quote name='Shinmaru']There is a ton of stuff that ends up being important later in the series, as everyone will find out once the anime gets to that point. :)[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]I definitely got this feeling from the episode, especially from the bit where [spoiler]Kyon mentioned North High to the younger Haruhi. As soon as he said that I thought, "You totally just screwed yourself."[/spoiler][/color]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Yeah, that was an interesting episode, to be sure. And it did give off a distinct hinting of this will be important later.

[spoiler]Middle School!Haruhi being a domineering manipulative jerk on par with some of her older self's worst moments was a win for me. Plus the fact that she was completely unconcerned with the fact that the guy she was bossing around was noticeably older than her.[/spoiler][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
Out of general interest, what are people's opinions of the Endless Eight arc which has so far gone on for way too long?

Myself I thought it was clever at first and enjoyed the fact that the 4th of the eps reminded me of K-On however it's definitely gone on too long. I think KyoAni is just looking to destroy whatever reputation they've built up. It's also a little sad that Yamakan (the original haruhi director) is apologizing for the direction it's gone even though he's not a part of the project and hasn't been a part of KyoAni for some time. The most annoying thing is that ep 2 was the 15,498th cycle which is when they break the cycle in the novels.

[color=#4B0082]I'm pretty sure the entirety of the internet is raging at KyoAni or whoever decided it would be a good idea to spend five-plus episodes on Endless Eight. Using two episodes on it would've been acceptable; three would've been pushing it; after that, rage.

Someone better be getting fired over this.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]I'm pretty sure the entirety of the internet is raging at KyoAni or whoever decided it would be a good idea to spend five-plus episodes on Endless Eight. Using two episodes on it would've been acceptable; three would've been pushing it; after that, rage.

Someone better be getting fired over this.[/color][/QUOTE]

For serious. It's bad enough that essentially the same episode has been repeated ad nauseam, but it is also pushing back the point that the series will begin [b]The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya[/b], and that is just unacceptable.

[quote name='Shinmaru']For serious. It's bad enough that essentially the same episode has been repeated ad nauseam, but it is also pushing back the point that the series will begin [b]The Vanishment of Haruhi Suzumiya[/b], and that is just unacceptable.[/QUOTE]

I didn't mention it before but the sites I read the information that I posted above from basically said that it is all but confirmed that the [B]Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya[/B] (or vanishment if you'd prefer that) will not feature in the new episodes that are currently airing.

Edit: looking at the wikipedia entry for the episode order/synopsis there is in fact going to be a 7th episode of endless eight. "when will the torture end" *cry*

well we've been trolled up to 8 eps. I can't believe that they decided to take the eight part literally and give us 8 episodes of Endless eight. Anymore and I'll give up on the haruhi anime completely and stick with the light novels.

Wow, are you kidding me? Have these KyoAni people made any statements about this crap they're putting out? I just wasted the last hour of my life catching up from 3-5, so I skipped to the end of 6 and 7, which only helped to increase my RAGE. Am I falling into their trap? This isn't funny, it's tragic. That first episode, hell the first season was sooo good. Why...?

And even when it's done, and their little "joke" better be over at the 8th one, are they going to continue replaying the rest of the old episodes again just to piss us off even more? -_- How do they expect this to be marketed in the states, and who would buy it? lol

I gave up after the third iteration and decided to wait until it ended, so I guess overall I've been more amused than enraged by this. I will say that I'm deeply curious about what motivated them to go for a full eight episodes--it's certainly unprecedented, but that hardly seems like reason enough to take the risk (and use up a whole lot of budget in the process).

~Dagger~

What this has me intrigued with is what people's reactions are going to be (specifically those who hadn't read the light novels) when they discover how mundane the ending to the arc really is. The thing about endless eight is it has the potential to build up to something big and then tear it all down in seconds. But yeah it took 8 eps and next week will either be a completely new arc or one of the old eps.

From what I've heard the originally announced 14 new eps is now only going to be 12, eight of which have been completely wasted on Endless eight so if it's true only 3 new eps to go.

• 8 months later...
Big bump, but [URL="http://www.animenewsnetwork.com/news/2010-04-15/bandai-entertainment-adds-the-disappearance-of-haruhi-suzumiya"][b]Bandai licensed the (awesome) Disappearance of Haruhi Suzumiya movie[/b][/URL]. For anyone whose faith in the [b]Haruhi Suzumiya[/b] franchise was shattered by the second season/"Endless Eight" catastrophe, the best story in the series is ready to make all those bad feelings go away. The movie is pretty long -- two-and-a-half hours! -- but hey.