OtakuBoards

What quote do you live by?

PaganAngel

That's the question: What quote do you live by, and what does it mean to you? It can be from a song, from a friend, from an anime, anything, as long as it means something to you. My quote comes from the song Spicy Marmalade by Kotani Kinya. The whole song's pretty inspirational, but my favorite line translates to "If the chains are rusted, throw them off." It means that you really can't be afraid to move on or to change if something in your life needs change. I really like this quote because I tend to cling to the past and regret, and I really need to learn to move on. So what's your quote?

• Replies 146
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

One of my favorite quotes that I live by is "What has already gone is forever lost. Now all we can do is live." from the Song Brothers. I cling to the past and regret things I lost all the time. And my dog died, and I keep wishing I could have him back, and I have even tried to replace him with other dogs. I love the whole song and it is a great song to live by. I like the english version, sung by Vic Minoga, Ed's voice. That quote would have to be one of the top of my list on quotes to live by.

[color=#b0000b][size=1][b]I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for; perfection is God's business.[/b] -Michael J. Fox.

I have been a perfectionist for much of my life--it got to the point where my obsession with perfection was negatively affecting my mental and physical health. (That's bad, kiddoes.) It is not easy letting go, but sometimes you need to let things slide in order to stay sane.

My mom sent me a magazine clipping with this quote a few months ago, and I keep it in mind. It's becoming a motto.

A second motto: [b]Live like there's no yesterday[/b]. I have spoken about this here before. To me, it means "no regrets." Don't worry about the past--sort of a Rafiki-style outlook, but a good thing to be reminded of sometimes. You cannot retcon real life, so please do not try! You will only make things more frustrating.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Sonic Dead Kid']The Quote i live by is "If your not rememberd,Then you never existed" It makes me think of making someone of myself. To be memorized by the people around.[/quote]

[size=1]Just remember, Hitler is known the world over.
Make something of yourself, but realize that sometimes it's better to die without being written about at all, and having done a world of good, then written about for something that is an atrocity.

My quote?
[b]"Be who you are, not who you want to be."[/b]
If you spend your whole life trying to fit into an ideal, then you'll never have time to be yourself.[/size]

The quote I live by? Hmm....

that's a difficult question. There are a lot of quotes I use to describe my life... picking a specific one isn't easy. I'll just use one of them for now.

"Don't justify your actions with the actions of others" I just thought of that. Obviosly, it means just because someone gets away with something doesn't mean it's right.

[QUOTE=Sara][color=#b0000b][size=1][b]I am careful not to confuse excellence with perfection. Excellence I can reach for; perfection is God's business.[/b] -Michael J. Fox.

I have been a perfectionist for much of my life--it got to the point where my obsession with perfection was negatively affecting my mental and physical health. (That's bad, kiddoes.) It is not easy letting go, but sometimes you need to let things slide in order to stay sane.

My mom sent me a magazine clipping with this quote a few months ago, and I keep it in mind. It's becoming a motto.

A second motto: [b]Live like there's no yesterday[/b]. I have spoken about this here before. To me, it means "no regrets." Don't worry about the past--sort of a Rafiki-style outlook, but a good thing to be reminded of sometimes. You cannot retcon real life, so please do not try! You will only make things more frustrating.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

Oh, I like both of these. The first one really rings true to me. You can never be perfect; you can only be as good as you can and it's pointless to push yourself further. The second one I also like. Short, sweet, and to the point. Is it just me or is "regret" a big theme in this thread so far?

[quote][SIZE=1]The wise student hears of the Tao and practices it diligently.
The average student hears of the Tao and gives it thought now and again.
The foolish student hears of the Tao and laughs aloud.
If there were no laughter, the Tao would not be what it is.

Hence it is said:
The bright path seems dim;
Going forward seems like retreat;
The easy way seems hard;
The highest Virtue seems empty;
Great purity seems sullied;
A wealth of Virtue seems inadequate;
The strength of Virtue seems frail;
Real Virtue seems unreal.

The perfect square has no corners;
Great talents ripen late;
The highest notes are hard to hear;
The greatest form has no shape.

The Tao is hidden and without name.
The Tao alone nourishes and brings everything to fulfillment.

-Laozi, chpt. 10[/SIZE][/quote]Unfortunately there's no way I can explain what this passage means, as I'm still trying to get a grasp on it myself. If I ever manage to fully understand it in a way so that I'm actually able to do it justice, [I]then[/I] I might give it shot, but that's not going going to happen for years (if ever).

I didn't want to have to use this one, but here goes.

"Do unto others what you wish done unto yourself" or however that's meant to be worded.

Ew.. I can't believe I live by the golden rule... but still, it is a great quote. And it's in a Tool song... but in different context.

"You cry because I'm different, I cry because your the same" by me! i saw one that was you laugh instead of cry, but i would never laugh if people were all the same, i'd cry. I try to live by it because I don't want to be really different, it'd make everyone i know cry because that's not me, and I don't want to be the same as everyone else, that'd make me cry. So i try to balance the two worlds together and so far, it's going perfectly.

[COLOR=Sienna]"There's no sense getting all riled up every time a bunch of idiots give you a hard time. In the end, the universe tends to unfold as it should."

That's from Harold and Kumar Go to White Castle (Greatest achievment in cinimatic history). It's true, too. I get a lot of flack in my life because I'm very much a fatass, and, until I saw this movie, I always let that bother me. Seeing H&K quite literally changed my outlook on life. And to finish the qoute...

"Plus I have an extremely large penis, that keeps me happy."[/COLOR]

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]My quote is this:
The trouble with jogging is that the ice falls out of your glass. by Martin Hull

And this is why i don't jog. ^L^

Haha, of course that's not it. I just don't think there is one quote i can think of that really motivates me in one direction or another. Of course there's the quote in my signature that's pretty good. I guess the only quote i live by is the ever changing quote in my mind. If that makes any sense to anybody. ^J^

Later.

[/COLOR] [/FONT]

[COLOR=Plum]Hard question I have a few quotes i live by:
"What is courage without fear?"
pretty self explanatory...face your fears...

"What are you waiting for? A written invitation to live life? You've got on its called a birth certificat."
Another self explanatory quote...live life...go all out...

"Dance like no ones watching, sing like no ones listening and live like heaven is on earth"

and one of my favourite quotes

"Life isn't about waiting for the storm to pass, its about learning how to dance in the rain."
Make the best of things...i love this quote...[/COLOR]

"A man's reach should exceed his grasp or what is a heaven for?"
-Robert Browning 1855

We should always reach for something better then what we currently have. To strive forward always. There are always hardships in life but we must overcome them and push onward.

[SIZE=1]I'd like to say that I have a really in-depth and philosophical quote that I live by, but sadly...mine's just silly. But true.

[B]"War doesn't determine who's right, war determines who's left."[/B]

A Chinese proverb that my dad received in an e-mail about six years ago. It was up there along with "Man with one chopstick goes hungry" but I guess I like looking into the real meaning of it rather than the humour.

Basically, I see it simply: Fighting doesn't get anyone anywhere, you'll still stick by your original opinion no matter what. The only thing it proves is who is strong enough to stick with what they think and who is too afraid to face conflict and fight for what they believe in.

My favourite quote, ever, is 'I will show you fear in a handful of dust', but I don't look on it as a life quote, so I guess that doesn't count.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]The old quote that I used to live by was[B] Live Fast, Die Young[/B] which I am sure you have all heard. At the time, I was really into having a good time, being permiscuous, drinking, sex, drugs, rock'n roll, you know the whole shindig. I loved to party. I figured live it up now while I can and die young when I'm done.

Well, since then my views has changed dramatically. Thank god. My new and perfect quote that I go by now is [B]Life's Too Short, and I Don't Want To Die[/B]. My reason for now living by this quote is pretty simple. I got sick of all the crap I was doing to have such a "great time". I realized that I only have one life to live and I have too much stuff that I want to do to spend all my time partying. Now I just live life one day at a time, doing the things I really love to do, like drawing, writing, etc. I know now that I have better things to do, and I just try and live one day at a time now.

Not the greatest quotes, I know. But, they are important to me, and that's what matters.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Another one from a T-shirt - and I don't exactly live by this, but I have taken its advice since seeing it, because it tickled me - is [B]SMILE: it confuses people[/B]. It's so true - walk down your high street with a smile on your face and count the funny looks people give you. It's like they're all looking at you accusingly for being less miserable than them![/FONT]

I don't live by one real quote. I just live to live. I'm trying not to be worthless. I just try to make my things how I want them to be. I try to make it so no one can be hurt. Ever again. I try to fight my own fights and every one elses at the same time. I try to make everyone happy, even at the cost of my well being. And when I'm gone, I don't want anyone to miss me. I want everyone to feel like it was a good thing to have seen me.

On the other hand. I'm also kind of bi-polar. I also think I just want to have nothing to do with anyone. I don't care what happens to them as long as I get what I want. I would still help them, but I also wouldn't care if they felt bad or not. Sometimes I think that if I saw a person in a fight. I would only fight to kill. That's what I think. I fight to kill. I live to fight. I try to get strong enough so that if I fail at something, it's not because I wasn't good enough. It's because there was no way out.

Also, that is who I was formed to be. I will not go too into it, but I have been made into what I am because how I was brought up. I have had many bad things happen to me, and have even hit my mom in ' deffence'. She came at me with a belt because I was too loud and I ended up kicking her. Yeah. I know it was wrong, but dispite what might be happening... In the end, I think that I will put up for myself. Even if it means killing my own family. Yes. I sound like an insane killer now, but that's who I've been shaped to be. I dont' like it. Though that's who I am.

Quote:
" The past is past. But you can still use it to make a better tomorrow"
Me
AND
"Why do people depend on each other? In the end you're on your own."
- Squall

Guest Metal Dragon
I try to live by the quote, "Live without any regrets" since at a young age I alredy have tons of regrets.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Although I don?t follow it to the letter per se the quote I?ve always lived by is this: [B]One should forgive one?s enemies, but not before they are hanged.[/B] I don?t actively attempt to get anyone hanged, but when I was growing up I disagreed with the concept that you had to forgive your enemies, which to me were people who did horrible things to you.

I had a lot of very negative things happen when I was growing up and I refused to forgive the people responsible. Primarily because they were only acting like they were sorry to have another chance to hurt you again. Something my parents and other adults didn?t see.

I also grew up in a very religious area where my parents and neighbors would just pretend certain things didn?t happen since they wanted to believe they lived in an area where such things didn?t happen. Like drugs, rape and bullying. They were fooling themselves.

Anyway, I do forgive people, I just see no need to outright forgive those who would do you serious harm. [/COLOR]

I live by the ff. quotes:
a.) "One who runs is the one who needs to use the bathroom" :D
b.) "Do good things and you'll be rewarded just don't expect to be rewarded, Do bad things and it'll come back to haunt you"
c.) "You may please a many but not everybody, You may do many but not everything, Everyone has his/her own limitations, know your own so you can live your life without pressure"
d.) "Be thankful in all things because they make you complete as a person"