OtakuBoards

Final Fantasy XIII

Doublehex

[URL=http://ps2.gamespy.com/playstation-3/final-fantasy-xiii/706089p1.html]LINK[/URL]

Altough it came as no surprise to any of us that S-E would announce the next game in the FF series, the fact that it would be spread across multiple consoles is somewhat of a surprise to me. Personally, I think the only reason they would do this is because they want to make as much money off of it as possible, but my choice on wherether or not to give S-E more of my money will depend on the qualityt of Final Fantasy XII.

[COLOR=DarkRed][FONT=Times New Roman]Well, I cannot say that I'm surprised. SquareEnix is milking the FF franchise like mad. Still, it will be a refreshing turn from all the FFVII stuff that is soon to be released. I'm still waiting to see what FFXII is like though. I've played the demo and I'm intrigued. The battle system has changed and I'm not sure as to whether or not I like it or if I'll like it in future games such as XIII, but nobody will know until they play it.

The graphics look impressive as always, precisely what one would expect from the FF series, but is it just me or do the soldiers in this [URL=http://media.ps2.gamespy.com/media/826/826843/img_3583500.html]picture[/URL] look a LOT similar to the soldiers of Bevelle (sp?) in FFX?[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]^ No, I noticed that too, in the same screenshot. When I looked at the link in the FF Series thread I straight away thought "Hey, aren't they Bevelle soldiers...?" or something like that. Maybe it's 'cos it's the same dev. team as for FFX, though it's probably just a coincidence.

Anyway, allow me to quote myself;

[QUOTE=Dodeca][SIZE=1]I'm all up for FFXIII, but I'm not entirely sure about the 3-part 'saga'. Versus... hmm... I'm not sure if I like the idea of different teams working on the different 'episodes'. Even FFXIII appears to be more action-ish than normal from the short battle clip in the trailer - in a good way, and if Versus is 'extreme'... I just have a dreading feeling that FFV-XIII'll end up as nothing more than a glorified button-mash fest.

I look forward greatly to FFXIII, alongside the likes of MGS4, but I imagine I'll be somewhat sceptical of the other two until Square gives more information on them. [I]Very[/I] sceptical.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

It could well be that Square are milking the franchise, but that's what they've always done - now they're just doing it a little bit more, yes?

[/SIZE]

[COLOR=#656446][SIZE=1][CENTER][b]FFXIII Battle System (again)[/b]
[IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/FF13.jpg[/IMG]
[b]Because it is intriguing, it must be discussed.[/b][/CENTER]

I've played only up to X-II and I get the feeling that this 6-on-1 battle screenshot promises us a battle system very much unlike anything that has been implemented in X-II and earlier. Seen anything like this in 12 and XI?

On a side note:
[CENTER][IMG]http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v487/meoi/soldiers.jpg[/IMG]
[b]The Generic Soldier's following the footsteps of Cactrots and Tonberries. Cute. [/b][/CENTER]

Also, strangely enough, the character designs remind me of Gundam Seed meets AC.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]-moan- Those pic's look awesome.

As far as anything goes I am really a Final Fantasy Virgin. I have never played any game in the series and yeah. I still am really hyped for this game and all. Yet still those pics do look really awesome. The only thing I am a little bit confused on is that I though that XII was suppose to be comming out sooner, yet at E3 they come out with XIII and I am all confused. Are they going to skip XII and go straight to XIII?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]The only thing I am a little bit confused on is that I though that XII was suppose to be comming out sooner, yet at E3 they come out with XIII and I am all confused. Are they going to skip XII and go straight to XIII?[/FONT][/SIZE'][/COLOR][/quote]
Heh... interestingly, you're not the first person I've encountered who has gotten confused about this. XII was announced a long time ago, although it hasn't been released yet. It's going to be coming out for the PS2.

~Dagger~

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1][FONT=Comic Sans MS]-moan- Those pic's look awesome.

As far as anything goes I am really a Final Fantasy Virgin. I have never played any game in the series and yeah. I still am really hyped for this game and all. Yet still those pics do look really awesome. The only thing I am a little bit confused on is that I though that XII was suppose to be comming out sooner, yet at E3 they come out with XIII and I am all confused. Are they going to skip XII and go straight to XIII?[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I'm pretty certain that FFXII is going to be released before XIII because it's (XII) coming out for the ps2. SE hasn't really released much info about XIII. Atleast to my knowledge, they haven't. But I do agree that those pictures looks great indeed. I think I posted it in the FF series thread that the guys that did the work for FFVII Advent Children were behind this one as well.

Edit: Bah, Dagger got to it 1st. Curse me for my slowness. >_>

[size=1]Does anybody know about the storyline for FF13?

I'm intrigued by FF12 because (I think) it has a similiar storyline, or at least the world, as Final Fantasy Tactics on Gameboy Advance. I love that game. Ivalice... I think the world is called.[/size]

• 2 months later...
From what I understand, all we know of the FF 13 games is that they all have to do with the crystals, a la FF 1 -5. I, however, am confused on weherether or not the three FF 13 games will be connected in ways other than the franchise, and the 'theme' of the storylines.

[size=1][color=dimgray]I'm excited to see what they do out of the usual for the game, as well as how they utilize the PS3's power. The August issue of OPM has some info on the game, as well as considerable info on FFXII. The game engine they are using is made by the Kingdom Hearts 2 team, and so far is being called the White Engine. The developers seem mainly to be the FFX team, and they are being put to the test, as this will be the most futuristic themed of the series, as well as trying to create a new RPG experience. Apparantly the girl in the trailer might not be the main character, but the main character is supposed to be from the same lineage of the King, who's job it is to protect the crystals. The girl uses a unique gunblade type weapon although it transforms into it's respected forms. Combat is going to take an interesting spin too other than being fast, I guess they are having a device on it where you can control gravity, allowing you to use your vertical axcess in combat too. The FFVII AC team is creating the movie scenes, so those should be impressive, if we can't tell allready.[/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]But ya thats about the majority of the stuff I know.[/color][/size]

[quote name='shadowofdeath13][size=1][color=dimgray]Apparantly the girl in the trailer might not be the main character, but the main character is supposed to be from the same lineage of the King, who's job it is to protect the crystals. [/color'][/size][/quote]

Sorry, but you've mixed up what little is revealed about [B]FF XIII[/B] to what little is revealed about [B] FF XIII Versus[/B].

There has been talk about the heroine "Lightning" not being the main character after all, but the prince protecting crystals is the blue-haired guy from Versus.

It's all very complicated with this little details about the storylines, but I reckon we will get more information sooner or later. ;D

[size=1][color=dimgray]You are very right lol I did mix them up, my bad, somehow the information got all mixed up in my head. [/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray][/color][/size]
[size=1][color=dimgray]Anyways ya from what I have read "Lightning" is never dubbed the main character, but sometimes I think I'd have better luck getting a rock to talk then SqEnix to not speak in riddles. Though I'm guessing she will have a signifigant role, though by all means thats just speculation. [/color][/size]

• 1 year later...
Time to bring back this old horse from it's stable, eh?

As most of you who read this thread probably know already, yesterday in this year's E3 convention, Final Fantasy XIII was revealed to be multiplatform in US and Europe, namely to be released to both PlayStation 3 and Xbox 360.

Also, the FF XIII trailer shown at last year's Square-Enix Party finally leaked to internet from E3. You can see it [url=http://www.gamekyo.com/video12266_final-fantasy-xiii-trailer-hq.html][U] here[/U][/url], for example.

I'm glad to see that the game brings back many classic elements of the series (summons, airships, rebellion) while still keeping the setting fresh; I find the tension between the floating technological world of Cocoon and the underlying wild world of Pulse quite intriguing. It's not the standard "good kingdom versus evil empire" anymore, the conflict goes deeper than that.

The spicety heroine of the game, Lightning, is accompanied by two other characters in this trailer: a big, blonde man and a red-haired young girl. Although their status in the story is still a big question mark, I don't think it would be very far-fetched to say they're playable sidekicks to Lightning.

And yes, the summons are back in a new, digital form (can you say [I]Digimon[/I]?). Shiva becomes a motorcycle, Ifrit acts like a torchblower, Carbuncle bounces out of a disc, and Siren rises from the water with her harp. There's also a huge airship reminiscent of Alexander, but that's just my guess, really.

So, who else is still looking forward for this game?

Well, after playing alot of WRPGs (*coughplanescapetomentcough*), I really did lose alot of my love for JRPGs (especially after seeing how juvenile some of them tend to be). But, even after absolutley despising FF7, of being absolutely disappointed by FF12, and longing for the quality of FF6 to return, I still have high hopes for FF13, and the franchise as a whole. Sure, the idea that the summons can turn into machines is a whole level of cheese, but it is in a good way.

That is if they get the story, characters, and villain's motivation right. The lack of any bishies (Sephiropth, Kuja) would be wondrous.

Now, in terms of multi-platform, is this the deathblow to the PS3? With FF and GTA out, MGS is the only major 3rd party exclusive left. And of the 1st party exclusives, only GoW is big enough to make it a system seller. Is the 360 going to prevail over the PS3? Only time (and our wallets) will be able to answer.

[SIZE="1"]Well after the debacle that was Final Fantasy XII, XIII is really going to have to impress me in order to restore my faith that Final Fantasy isn't simply a series being milked by Square-Enix for the sake they know the brand will sell even a average game.

That said, the faster-paced looking combat and general look of the game seem to be an improvement on XII. The plot however is somewhat unimpressive, dare I say, even a little unoriginal and the idea of having only a trio of characters for an RPG seems a little limited, even if I've never liked every character in my party in FF so far. Given it's still really only early days yet, I'll be keeping my eye on this.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]The plot however is somewhat unimpressive, dare I say, even a little unoriginal and the idea of having only a trio of characters for an RPG seems a little limited, even if I've never liked every character in my party in FF so far.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Haha, if you think that those three characters in the trailer are the only playable ones, I think you're way lost. Of course they won't reveal the entire cast this early in the process!

I remember waiting for Final Fantasy XII, when they revealed new characters in small portions during the long years. I for one am hoping for more than six characters into the party, even if they wouldn't all be accessible at the same time.

[quote name='Matt']Would you rather have 6 mediocre, two sided characters, or 3 well developed, realistic ones?[/QUOTE]

I know my Final Fantasy, and I've come to see that one shouldn't bother to expect deep character-development, let alone realism, from the games. I just want many different, conflicting personalities and a decent history behind each character, and I'm satisfied.

Seriously, JRPGs may tell interesting stories with many twists and turns, but the characters more often than not follow specific stereotypes and clichés. I really don't expect to find anything else from FF XIII, either.

[quote name='Matt']I don't care how many characters they have, just as long as all of them are very well developed. Would you rather have 6 mediocre, two sided characters, or 3 well developed, realistic ones?[/QUOTE]
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Six mediocre characters are fine by me. As long as none of the characters are like Tidus (or is it Titus?) I'm fine with it. [size=1]I'd be satisfied with a game where all the characters are like Cloud, Sephiroth and Sqaull. [/size] More than likely it would be a dull game by today's standards, but hey, I prefer those types of characters over the mixture. (And that's a reason why I don't get into character development lol)

My main concern is the battle system. I'm a fan of both action RPGs and turn based, but I don't like the idea of trying to combine both, and that's what it seemed like XII was trying to pull off. (It felt like it was trying to be one of those WoW games... and I just hate those type of games.) To be fair, I've only played the demo for FFXII, and I didn't like what I played. Is the gameplay from the demo and the actual game the same? (If not, I'd probably try it out once more.)

There were summonings?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Sandy']Haha, if you think that those three characters in the trailer are the only playable ones, I think you're way lost. Of course they won't reveal the entire cast this early in the process![/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Fair enough, as I said I've not really been following the series as much as I used to. I have to say though in response to most people hating Tidus, I never really minded him as a character, sure he was sort of annoying, but compared to Vaan from XII, it's not even a competition.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]To be fair, it's Tidus wimpy voice that makes me not like him. So may be that's a little shady, but I was put off of the game because of it... "shrugs". (sensitive ears) And I didn't care for the grid.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Phenom'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]To be fair, I've only played the demo for FFXII, and I didn't like what I played. Is the gameplay from the demo and the actual game the same? (If not, I'd probably try it out once more.)

There were summonings?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

This isn't FF 12 thread, but I'll answer anyway: I never played the demo, but they didn't have all the juices in it (like the gambits and license grids and different weapon types). It all comes down to whether or not you mind not being in control all the time, meaning if you want to continuously push X or not. Because in FF XII, you don't have to. Just choose the right combination of gambits, and watch the characters do the fighting for you. It sounds way too easy, but there's quite a bit of strategy involved, really.

And yes, there were summonings (Espers, like in FF 6), although their usefullness is at least questionable. They replaced two out of the three party members in the field, but only did mediocre damage, and some of their superduper attacks were quite tricky to perform.

What we've seen from the FF 13's battle system, it seems to have a sort of combo system going on, where you enter commands (the trailer shows both physical and magical attacks that each take off different amounts of the character's ATB-bar) and watch them combine in the graphics. There also seems to be a lot more enemies present at one time than in previous games, too. A few images for reference:

[url]http://www.videogamesblogger.com/wp-content/uploads/2006/11/final-fantasy-xiii-big.jpg[/url]
[url]http://www.bdgamers.net/wp-content/uploads/2006/09/tgs-final-fantasy-xiii-3.jpg[/url]

[quote name='Phenom'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"] [size=1]I'd be satisfied with a game where all the characters are like Cloud, Sephiroth and Sqaull. [/size] [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Lucky you, there's a game like that coming for the PSP! It's [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dissidia"][U]Final Fantasy Dissidia[/U][/URL], featuring all the heroes and villains from (at least) the first ten FF-games. ;D

• 6 months later...
[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I only asked about FFXII's battle system is because I heard that FFXIII was suppose to be somewhat similar, and I was intending to edit my post because I read Des's post in the E3 thread about the FAQ for FFXIII being on the 360, and that practically answered my question.. somewhat. A combination between both FFX and FFXII.

As far as summonings. I meant to say there were summonings in FFXIII? :animeswea Should've been more specific. (for both summoning and battle system) I mean I saw the harp lady, but I just assumed that was someone playing music.[/COLOR]

[color=green]Thought I'd bring this back a bit since there's an article about it IGN talking about the gameplay.[/color]

[url]http://xbox360.ign.com/articles/948/948799p1.html[/url]

[quote name='IGN']But what of the gameplay? Initial impressions are that the combat system will be a natural progression of that seen in Final Fantasy XII, with players cuing up turn-based-style attacks that then play out almost in real-time. The effect is nothing short of spectacular with the battles looking more dynamic and action-packed than in previous Final Fantasy games. There seem to be hints of Kingdom Hearts action as well, given how Lightning knocks an enemy skyward and jumps up to follow it, continuing the combat while airborne.[/quote]

[color=green][strike]I suppose I have to see it first before giving judgment, but this also makes me even more skeptical seeing how I do not like FFXII's new style of battle. Hearing that it's a smidget bit like Kingdom Hearts sorta cures my skeptism, but not really. I'll edit this post once I see the video that they're talking about.[/strike][/color]

Edit 2: [color=green]The hell with that. I just looked at the trailer that they were talking about, and I'm gonna get this game just because... LOL. (Them graphics are crazy) The gameplay looked pretty interesting. (Look sort of like what I've seen in Star Ocean 4) Was the gameplay in XII like this?[/color]