OtakuBoards

Awarded User Titles

Gavin

[SIZE=1]In a succession to the last few replies to the "How do I move up in ranks or whatever....", I've created this thread to discuss the merits of an idea I had for awarded user titles. Given a sizable segment of the populace would like to see some more User Titles, as opposed to Custom Titles, introduced I thought this seemed like a fair way to do it. To explain what I mean by "it" I'll quote the previous responses from the last thread. I've purposely broken up Tical's post for ease of explaining the idea.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Gavin][FONT=Trebuchet MS']Instead how about a system where once every month, or any set period, the Staff come together and pick out one nominee from their respective forum/s to be given a new title to reflect their standing in said forum. For instance the Arena title could be Adventurer of the Month - May 2006, I think people would be happy as it's a title of some standing and can't be spammed to achieve. Anyone's thoughts ? Having had some experience creating Special User titles, I know it wouldn't be difficult, although the strife among Staff in deciding a single winner for each forum might.[/FONT][/quote]

[quote=Tical]That... would be so bad-***! *can see self being titled Master Musician or something* it's so perfect!

One thing though... if someone gains that title, it would also mean they wouldn't have any other title, right? And then there'd be someone else getting their same title every month.[/quote]

[quote name='Gavin][FONT=Trebuchet MS']Discounting their own Custom Title yeah they'd only have the one, they wouldn't be something like Member - Master Adventurer - May 2006, it'd just be Master Adventurer - May 2006. The idea of adding the date of when the title was issued would also help to add some sense of not only time but uniqueness to the titles, for instance after a year you'd have twelve Master Adventurers but each would have their own month. As for repeat winners, well that'd be up to the staff really, after winning one maybe people shouldn't be able to win again for say six or nine months.[/FONT][/quote]

[quote name='Tical']SOOOO.... I suggest you make it so you only pick one candidate from select forums, as certain forums get no play whatsoever, while others are kept alive on standard. You should only hand out title if there is a particular someone who is keeping that forum alive. For example, if someone creates a bunch of popular threads in the Lounge, they get a title, and if someone makes a lot of threads in MMaT, they get a title, but if everywhere else is downright dead then there should be no title.[/quote]

[quote name='Gavin][FONT=Trebuchet MS']By having one for each forum, you're effectively giving everyone equal chance of winning one, some people like myself don't go anywhere near the Anime forums because we have no interest and the same applies for others in other sections. By having one for each you're not excluding anyone. By having a set time period between giving out titles you're effectively giving people a chance to prove themselves, I don't think just because someone can create a bunch of popular threads they should automatically earn a title, it should be based on their addition to the forum as a whole.[/FONT][/quote]

[quote=Tical]As for Arena, it could go to whoever has the biggest running RPG.

I'll take my Nobel Prize now, thank you [/quote]

[quote name='Gavin][FONT=Trebuchet MS']It could, but one successful RPG doesn't make a master role-player, as I said it would be better to examine a person's contributions to the forum as a whole rather than reward a person for a single success.[/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Peoples' thoughts ?

[I]To Dagger[/I] - Sorry about getting off Topic in the last thread[/SIZE]

• Replies 50
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Quite a good idea, as expected from you Gavin. I could really see an idea such as this working as it would cause others to up their game to get one of said user titles.

I don't think I can say much else about this, It's a really good idea.

[color=blue]I think the idea has potential with one problem - this method of rewarding titles would require quite a bit of time from an already very busy staff. I'm not speaking for everyone here but I know that I personally don't have as much time as I'd like to for this site due to school and I'm sure there are others who would agree with me. Other than that though, I like the idea. I'm just not sure how repeat winners would work. Maybe a list of previous awards on the user profile? That would require some fancy custom fields though...[/color]

[size=1]And I can already see the trouble with people feeling that other people are being favouritised, and [ironically enough] with friends of moderators going without any new title because the moderators don't want to appear biased. In this way post-count was a 'better' way to earn titles because people felt that the ability was on their side.

Whilst a cool idea, I think it lends itself to the possibility of too many arguments and general ill-will [perhaps].

Until it's put into practice we can't be sure.... but it's what I can imagine it degenerating to.[/size]

[SIZE=1]Ah good some mixed responses, I was hoping it wouldn't be all bad. [/SIZE]

[quote name='Petie][color=blue']I think the idea has potential with one problem - this method of rewarding titles would require quite a bit of time from an already very busy staff. I'm not speaking for everyone here but I know that I personally don't have as much time as I'd like to for this site due to school and I'm sure there are others who would agree with me. Other than that though, I like the idea. I'm just not sure how repeat winners would work. Maybe a list of previous awards on the user profile? That would require some fancy custom fields though...[/color][/quote]

[SIZE=1]First off Petie thanks for replying, I was hoping to get a Mods input quite soon into the thread, in relation to the idea causing already busy Moderators extra hassle, as I said this would probably be only a once a month or even longer thing. Besides, maybe it's just me here but the biggest contributors to any forum are pretty obvious at face value. For repeat winners, I think having a set time period, say six months before they can win again kind of prevents a constant build up of awards. Plus since it would replace their User Title as opposed to Custom Title you could see previous awards straight off.[/SIZE]

[quote=Baron Samedi][SIZE=1]And I can already see the trouble with people feeling that other people are being favouritised, and [ironically enough] with friends of moderators going without any new title because the moderators don't want to appear biased. In this way post-count was a 'better' way to earn titles because people felt that the ability was on their side.

Whilst a cool idea, I think it lends itself to the possibility of too many arguments and general ill-will [perhaps].

Until it's put into practice we can't be sure.... but it's what I can imagine it degenerating to.[/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Good to see you're still you old pessimistic self my old friend, although you do raise a very obvious flaw in the system, although when it comes to these kinds of systems none are fool-proof. I guess really the only thing that could be done is hope people are mature enough to trust that those getting the awards deserve them for their contributions rather than who their friends with, it worked in the Nifty Fifty, I guess I just hope it would work here.

In terms of friends of Mods going without awards, well seeing as only the Mods would know who's nominated there'd really be no question of going without as they'd not know they'd received the awarded title until they get it. I think the benefits and detractions of this system would work better than the post count as really the Staff here on OB have always proved themselves impartial in their forums regardless of personal friendships.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Personally, I do like the idea.

Baron has pointed out that flaw of being friends with a moderator.

Perhaps the solution to that problem maybe a small committee (two or three regular users of OB) that are separate from the moderators and admin staff. They would have to make sure that they have the time to spare for these monthly awards and that they will try their best to be as unbiased to everyone as possible (if that makes sense).

That way the moderators/admin could suggest potential award winners to the committee and they committee could make the final decision.

Just a thought.[/size]

[quote name='Gavin][size=1']First off Petie thanks for replying, I was hoping to get a Mods input quite soon into the thread, in relation to the idea causing already busy Moderators extra hassle, as I said this would probably be only a once a month or even longer thing. Besides, maybe it's just me here but the biggest contributors to any forum are pretty obvious at face value. For repeat winners, I think having a set time period, say six months before they can win again kind of prevents a constant build up of awards. Plus since it would replace their User Title as opposed to Custom Title you could see previous awards straight off.[/size][/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]I realize it would be only once a month and personally, I'd have no problem with it. The only concern I had was time, considering the already rising complaints about quality, though I realize now that we could just have a dedicated thread where we could nominate and then vote so we never really have to actually all be around at the same time to discuss it. Also though, I do see what you're saying about obvious choices which should cut down on the time it takes as well.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I'm not sure what you're saying about the previous titles though. Are you planning on a comma separated list or something else to display past wins? Let's say you win once - your title is changed to reflect that. Now, let's say six months later, as you suggested, you win again. Again, your title is changed to reflect that new win, overwriting your old title. Do we just forget about past wins altogether or is there something I'm just not seeing?[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[QUOTE=Kura][size=1]Personally, I do like the idea.

Baron has pointed out that flaw of being friends with a moderator.

Perhaps the solution to that problem maybe a small committee (two or three regular users of OB) that are separate from the moderators and admin staff. They would have to make sure that they have the time to spare for these monthly awards and that they will try their best to be as unbiased to everyone as possible (if that makes sense).

That way the moderators/admin could suggest potential award winners to the committee and they committee could make the final decision.

Just a thought.[/size][/QUOTE][font=Verdana][color=blue]I don't know if this would really work the way you planned it. For one, this committee would never be able to win because of the fact that they'd be voting. Plus, non-staff would not actually be able to see the nomination/discussion thread related to the process which would mean that if the final decision came down to this committee, it would be based solely on what they thought to begin with or what they have discussed amongst themselves.[/color][/font]

[QUOTE=Petie][font=Verdana][color=blue]I realize it would be only once a month and personally, I'd have no problem with it. The only concern I had was time, considering the already rising complaints about quality, though I realize now that we could just have a dedicated thread where we could nominate and then vote so we never really have to actually all be around at the same time to discuss it. Also though, I do see what you're saying about obvious choices which should cut down on the time it takes as well.[/color][/font]

[font=Verdana][color=blue]I'm not sure what you're saying about the previous titles though. Are you planning on a comma separated list or something else to display past wins? Let's say you win once - your title is changed to reflect that. Now, let's say six months later, as you suggested, you win again. Again, your title is changed to reflect that new win, overwriting your old title. Do we just forget about past wins altogether or is there something I'm just not seeing?[/color][/font][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Yeah that's really the one problem I never got around to solving, you're correct in thinking that previous wins would be overwritten by the most recent win, so unless people kept their own record, or better yet a thread was dedicated to record the official winners then that's the only way to really keep track. Like many others I'm HTML retarded so I've no idea how difficult it would be to alter OB's code to add another slot to the profile for recording the previous wins.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Kura][size=1]Perhaps the solution to that problem maybe a small committee (two or three regular users of OB) that are separate from the moderators and admin staff. They would have to make sure that they have the time to spare for these monthly awards and that they will try their best to be as unbiased to everyone as possible (if that makes sense).

Just a thought.[/size][/QUOTE]

[quote=Petie][font=Verdana][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]I don't know if this would really work the way you planned it. For one, this committee would never be able to win because of the fact that they'd be voting. Plus, non-staff would not actually be able to see the nomination/discussion thread related to the process which would mean that if the final decision came down to this committee, it would be based solely on what they thought to begin with or what they have discussed amongst themselves.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Personally Kura I'm inclined to agree with Petie's thoughts on this one, by leaving it in the hands of the Staff you're not eliminating any potential winners from the Member pool, and by having a committee for it you're effectively having the same problem as Josh pointed out as per favouritism, and with a committee of Members there's no accountability as there would be with Staff. So personally I'd prefer to stick with the original format of the Moderators making the decision.[/SIZE]

[size=1]Fortunately, I have no friends, so there is no need to worry about favoritism in my forum. ;)

I think this idea is great, however, I would like to see the titles awarded perhaps once every two months -- it makes the award that much more precious. Have twelve people flaunting the same title for different months would also get a bit hectic, so you might just want to have like ... "Master Musician #1" and of course the numbers would range from 1 to 6.[/size]

[color=#4B0082]I like the idea of a trimonthly title awards event. Once every two months is still a bit often, I think, if we were to have a title for every forum. That's eleven titles at the most and nine at the least, depending on if we had one for Suggestions & Feedback and Arena Underground, to sort out winners for. Sometimes there'd be one or two people obviously deserving of it, sure, but I don't think it would be that cut and dried most of the time. And when it isn't that'll be a fair bit of work.

Also, I'd like regular members to be involved somehow. Maybe it's just me, but I don't really like the idea of the moderators handing down titles without any input from the rest of the member base. . . .

This is just a rough idea banged together in a few minutes, but I think it could work out: Every three months, the staff from each section of the boards (Tokyo 3, Hardwired, etc.) would get together and decide on nominees for the titles corresponding to their forums. The category moderator of each section would be responsible for gathering the opinions of the moderators of each forum in the section and sending the final list of nominees to Shy. Shy would then post the list of nominees in a thread in the Community Events forum, and members would post their votes for each title. Staff obviously wouldn't be able to be nominated or vote, nominees wouldn't be able to vote for themselves, and members wouldn't be able to win the same title twice in a row. After a certain length of time the thread would be closed, the votes tallied, and the titles awarded.

Thoughts? I figure there would be a running discussion thread in the staff forum to point out cool things members have posted (sort of the opposite of the infamous "Deal With This Member" Thread), to help with the nomination process. And with the event only being once every three months I wouldn't think it would be too much of an extra workload on the staff.

And as for keeping track of past titles, it's easy enough to add another field to the profile pages. Just like the Previous Username one, we could make it uneditable by members, so only staff could add in the appropriate title when they go to change the current one. So that's no problem.[/color]

[size=1]I don't like the idea of members voting in the selection of these members. I think that if the staff were to get together and decide, anyone could get it whereas if we were to have votes, only older, more popular members would recieve the award, regardless of merit. Sure, 'apppointing' these members a title wouldn't be democratic, but they'd be most deserving, I think.[/size]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']Sure, 'apppointing' these members a title wouldn't be democratic, but they'd be most deserving, I think.[/size][/quote]

[url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Communism][color=red]Communism is the key![/color]

[IMG]http://encyclopedia.laborlawtalk.com/wiki/images/thumb/0/07/205px-Hammer_sickle.png[/IMG][/url]
[size=1]
Right... The idea of a virtual decromatic system on an online message board sounds really appealing, but it would probably not work as good as hoped for.[/size]

[SIZE=1]I quite like the idea of regular members voting. Prehaps the mods who nominated the finalists could post their opinion on why their choice deserves the title, thus giving people who might not know certain members well enough to judge some input on which to work on.

I remember we used to have a couple of special titles for winning events before custom titles came into use e.g Otaku Idol[/SIZE]

[font=franklin gothic medium]Frankly, I have enough trouble getting regular events and other things organized, without another one being added to the list. lol

If we have time to do something like this, we should presumably have time to tackle other, more significant issues that will improve the site.

I do like the idea, I just feel that it's not something we can really devote our time to at this stage. I'm more interested in repairing some of the fundamentals of the site to make it easier and more enjoyable, before we start going after other things.[/font]

[QUOTE=James][font=franklin gothic medium]Frankly, I have enough trouble getting regular events and other things organized, without another one being added to the list. lol

If we have time to do something like this, we should presumably have time to tackle other, more significant issues that will improve the site.

I do like the idea, I just feel that it's not something we can really devote our time to at this stage. I'm more interested in repairing some of the fundamentals of the site to make it easier and more enjoyable, before we start going after other things.[/font][/QUOTE]

In that case, why not pick someone to be in control of the event? Then the mods could go on with their important business, and let that guy handle it.

[quote name='Tical']In that case, why not pick someone to be in control of the event? Then the mods could go on with their important business, and let that guy handle it.[/quote]
[quote name='Debsie][color=purple']The category moderator of each section would be responsible for gathering the opinions of the moderators of each forum in the section and sending the final list of nominees to Shy.[/color][/quote]

[size=1]Because you need moderators for the idea.[/size]

[SIZE=1]Thanks for the feedback everyone, I honestly didn't expect to get quite so much and from exactly the people who really needed to respond. To Des, I do actually agree with your Tri-Monthly idea, as effectively you are making people work much harder for the honour of a title as there are only four to be given in a year, You could also modify the name of the title to [Season] [Title] to better distinguish them.

As for having members ultimately decide, well I've already said I disagree with it but really I suppose it's down to whoever chooses how best to implement the system, though as James has said there are other tasks that need to be down before then. By having it as a seasonal Event controlled by the Moderators but effectively decided by the member population you're introducing an unpredictable element into it, by having the Staff decide you're having people who know the forum inside and out making the final and most logical decision.

However as James feels there are other more pressing concerns at the moment which I know to be true, as James is not one to idly feel the need to change something, then I hope eventually we can come back and hammer this out some more.[/SIZE]

[quote name='James][font=franklin gothic medium']I do like the idea, I just feel that it's not something we can really devote our time to at this stage. I'm more interested in repairing some of the fundamentals of the site to make it easier and more enjoyable, before we start going after other things.[/font][/quote][color=#4B0082]Yes, this would of course have to take its place in the priority list. I wouldn't expect it to happen soon, since there are other site issues to tackle first. But, assuming it becomes feasible in the future, I think it would make for a good event.

And if tri-monthly is still too much work too often, it could even be scaled back to semi-annually or annually.[/color]

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']I don't like the idea of members voting in the selection of these members. I think that if the staff were to get together and decide, anyone could get it whereas if we were to have votes, only older, more popular members would recieve the award, regardless of merit. Sure, 'apppointing' these members a title wouldn't be democratic, but they'd be most deserving, I think.[/size][/quote][color=#4B0082]That's why the moderators would be the ones choosing the nominees. They would pick out only the people who are deserving of the title and then members would only be able to vote for those few nominees. If an older and well-known member is among those nominees, I don't see why they shouldn't be recognized for their long-standing contributions. And, as I said, people wouldn't be able to win the same title twice in a row--or maybe never again at all, depending on how the rules were to work out.

I guess what I don't like about moderators directly choosing the title recipients is that it seems too one-sided. These would be special titles specifically for regular members and regular members only, so I think they should be involved in the process. Otherwise it would almost be like saying, "You're a great member, but we don't need/want you as part of the staff, so have this instead." And that just doesn't sit well with me.[/color]

[QUOTE=Doukeshi][SIZE=1]I quite like the idea of regular members voting. Prehaps the mods who nominated the finalists could post their opinion on why their choice deserves the title, thus giving people who might not know certain members well enough to judge some input on which to work on.

I remember we used to have a couple of special titles for winning events before custom titles came into use e.g Otaku Idol[/SIZE][/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]That's a good idea. It would require more time than just posting up the list of nominees, though, so we'd have to see just how much we'd be able to fit in. And due to the opinions needing to be from the moderators who are familiar with their sections, it would be another thing for the category moderators to sort out.

And this would actually be very similar to the old Otaku Awards events. With those, we had awards for members who were especially good and active in each forum. In this case we'd just be cutting out the misc. awards while adding a tangible reward--a special title--for winning. Heck, I think it would even be pretty appropriate to re-use the name Otaku Awards for it.[/color]

[quote name='Tical']In that case, why not pick someone to be in control of the event? Then the mods could go on with their important business, and let that guy handle it.[/quote][color=#4B0082]There's one problem with having a single person choosing all the nominees: That single person needs to be familiar with every forum on the site. That's a lot to keep track of, and I don't think it would really work out too well.

Which is the reason why I proposed that the category moderators be the ones to submit the final list of nominees for their sections. They, along with the regular moderators, are watching over their forums all the time anyway and will know who the high quality members are. So they would be the most informed and best suited to picking the nominees.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4b0082']I guess what I don't like about moderators directly choosing the title recipients is that it seems too one-sided. These would be special titles specifically for regular members and regular members only, so I think they should be involved in the process. Otherwise it would almost be like saying, "You're a great member, but we don't need/want you as part of the staff, so have this instead." And that just doesn't sit well with me.[/color][/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]Personally, I think that's exactly why the Staff should be the only group involved in this process. Not because it's one-sided but because the award is for regular members. I don't feel it's saying that they're not good enough for Staff positions. As has been made well known, new Staff is hired when it is needed so when there is no need, there are no new additions. This does not mean the members are not good enough, just that there is not a place for them yet.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]For the members to vote on their own awards (obviously nominees couldn't vote for themselves but I hope you see what I'm trying to say here) just doesn't seem right to me. Because it's a title awarded to a member based on their contributions to the site, it should be the Staff who makes note of and votes on those contributions.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue][/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]Also, you're relying on enough members voting to provide a fair result. This could very easily happen but on the other side of the coin, it very well may not. At least with the staff voting (and I'm assuming the staff would still vote, not just choose), you can get a fair opinion from the people who are looking for these qualities to begin with.[/color][/font]

[size=1]I've more or lessed watched this topic from afar, since I knew that no matter how much [i]discussion[/i] went on in regards to this specific subject, I would have to be the one to actually [i]implement[/i] it, create the thread, count the votes, etc. I'd rather see members taking a more active role in Otaku Events than forcing staff members such as myself to come up with everything. This kind of input is what we have wanted to do with that particular section of the boards since its' creation.[/size]
[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']And this would actually be very similar to the old Otaku Awards events. With those, we had awards for members who were especially good and active in each forum. In this case we'd just be cutting out the misc. awards while adding a tangible reward--a special title--for winning. Heck, I think it would even be pretty appropriate to re-use the name Otaku Awards for it.[/color][/quote]
[size=1]I fully support the idea of a seasonal awards thread, and I suppose adding an "Otaku Awards" moniker would shut up everyone who prefers the original awards over Nifty Fifty.

But I do disagree with the idea of making the Category Moderators the ones to do all of the nominating. Even having the whole staff involved still makes the awards themselves kind of biased, but it's the easiest and fairest idea to execute. Worse yet, I see Play It or Anime Lounge seeing the same four people being nominated every time we do the awards. The best thing would be to have all active staff members do the nominating, and then present those nominees in the regular awards threads.

(On an unrelated note: I say that nominees can only win a single title every three months, and can't have the same title for more than period at a time. And of course, current staff members get NOTHING. These awards are for the members.)

There is obviously a lot of thought that can go into this, and hopefully I can hammer out the finer details with you over AIM or PM, Gavin, and the OB staff as well. Anyone who has more ideas of criticism about the event so far can continue to post that in this thread.

Sounds good to me. As far as I'm concerned, Otaku Awards are a go.

-Shy[/size]

[color=#4B0082]I guess that's true; it also seems a bit off to have members voting on their own awards. Maybe I'm putting too much faith in the general member base to look at things fairly and not just vote for their friends. :p

Though I doubt we'd have any trouble getting enough people to vote. Just look at the Nifty Fifty and the Otaku Awards before that. Both of those events have been really popular every time they've been held, and there've been plenty of votes.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4b0082']Though I doubt we'd have any trouble getting enough people to vote. Just look at the Nifty Fifty and the Otaku Awards before that. Both of those events have been really popular every time they've been held, and there've been plenty of votes.[/color][/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]Heh, okay. So I didn't think that one through to well. I was really just using it as an example of an (apparently not so) possible problem. You seem to have gotten the meaning of my post just fine though which is really all that matters.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff][/color][/font]
[b][font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]Edit:[/color][/font][/b]
[font=Verdana][color=#0000ff]And Shy, I've got a bunch of ideas running through my head for this as well so I'd be more than happy to work out some details with you on AIM if you'd like.[/color][/font]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I guess that's true; it also seems a bit off to have members voting on their own awards. Maybe I'm putting too much faith in the general member base to look at things fairly and not just vote for their friends. :p[/color][/quote]
[size=1]Apparently you haven't read the Otaku Awards' threads in a while, have you? I'm not naming names, but it became obvious that leaving the nominations up the regular members turns everything into a popularity contest. At least doing it with staff we can hide behind our titles, and pretend that we have ethics.

And Petie, yeah, the more input the better. I'd like to try and keep this thread going with anyone's ideas, though, just so the whole member base can be involved in the creation of this event.

On an related note, I have a feeling preparations for Otaku Awards is going to end up delaying "OtakuBoards Yaoi-Fest" once again. Sorry everyone.

-Shy[/size]

[quote name='Shy][size=1']Apparently you haven't read the Otaku Awards' threads in a while, have you? I'm not naming names, but it became obvious that leaving the nominations up the regular members turns everything into a popularity contest. At least doing it with staff we can hide behind our titles, and pretend that we have ethics.[/size][/quote][font=Verdana][color=blue]I haven't read the Otaku Awards' threads in a while so I guess I was believing Desbreko's title and assuming he had ethics ;)[/color][/font]

[color=#4B0082]I mainly remember winning the Zelda forum awards by complete landslides. But, you know, that was completely deserved despite me being the forum moderator. :toothy:

Really, though, I do remember the old Otaku Awards. Which is why I suggested the staff--and I meant the whole staff, the category mods would just be the ones to organize the final lists--select nominees to temper the crazy-go-nuts voting that went on.

Basically, I was trying to find a balance between making sure titles go to those who deserve them and letting members participate in the event. The forum is called Community Events, but an event handled completely by the staff with no involvement from members wouldn't have much to do with the "community" part.[/color]