OtakuBoards

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Desbreko

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=#503F86]I imagine it's somewhat like West Side Story- Bowser's family moved to the Mushroom Kingdom to escape from problems in his own country and is trying to take over Mario's gang territory. Whether there's some sort of Tony/Maria thing going on between Bowser and Peach is anyone's guess, though. She does seem to let herself get captured rather a lot...

In Smash Bros, sees to me that you've got your law enforcement with the Starfox crew, Snake, Samus, Ike, Marth and Meta Knight. DeDeDe seems like some corrupt drugs lord that'll help out whoever pays him enough. I sense an RPG in this somewhere...[/COLOR]

[quote name='Solo Tremaine'][COLOR=#503F86]I imagine it's somewhat like West Side Story- Bowser's family moved to the Mushroom Kingdom to escape from problems in his own country and is trying to take over Mario's gang territory. Whether there's some sort of Tony/Maria thing going on between Bowser and Peach is anyone's guess, though. She does seem to let herself get captured rather a lot...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Nononononononono. Maria was a Puerto Rican. I predict that Wendy O. and Toadsworth have a thing.

So, Captain Falcon gets to be Officer Krupke, right?

[quote name='Solo Tremaine][COLOR=#503F86']I sense an RPG in this somewhere...[/COLOR][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Dibs on Wolf.

What? Des'll surely want Marth, and I'm no ball-hog.

In other news, expect a StarFox crew review soon. Just need time to quantify and type.[/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]Nah, I'd take Samus for something like that. She's a really interesting character with tons of cool abilities, and on the other hand I barely know anything about Marth's personality. That [i]would[/i] make a pretty hilarious RPG though.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]That [i]would[/i] make a pretty hilarious RPG though.[/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Omg, guys. Do it.

I would totally join. (Fifteen days until Brawl!)[/FONT]

[size=1][b]EDIT:[/b] And I totally shotgun Sonic.[/COLOR][/size]

[quote name='Aceburner']Someone else described it as this: Take all the missed games, all the stolen staring roles, all the times he's played second fiddle to his big brother, and of course all the crap he takes in the RPG's about "Mario and... this other guy!" or "Green Mario" or "Whoigi?"

Now gather it all together into a gigantic bomb of negative energy. That's Luigi's final smash.[/QUOTE]

Even though thats true, while looking deeper into the dojo it describes how it has effects on them

Opponents who set foot in the Negative Zone are plagued by a random assortment of effects including:

* Drastically reduced attack power
* Greater launch distance when hit
* Increased likelihood of slipping
* Steady increase in damage percentage
* Flower growth on head
* Dizziness
* Uncontrollable taunting
* Sudden sleepiness
* Decreased movement speed

...And so on.

It also says you have a better chance of living while in the air.

Sorry Ive been gone, Ive been awfully busy ^_^

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial][quote=8bit]
(Fifteen days until [the US release of] Brawl!)[/quote]
Fix'd.

[INDENT]:p[/INDENT][/FONT][/QUOTE]
[i]Canadian[/i] release, thank you very much!

Man, I'm sure most of you have probably seen this by now but here's [url=http://www.vgcats.com/comics/?strip_id=255]100 Kirby Hats[/url] from VGcats.com[/COLOR][/FONT]

Ok, so me and ace were discussing' Thing about brawl, so we come to the idea of Phoenix wright as an assist trophy, because we couldn't find him a move list, what is he told everyone to restate their testimony and reversed time like 10 second, everyone is doing the exact thing they did the previous 10 second, except for whom the tropy was thrown by, pretty much cheap K.O

[color=#4B0082]Oh man, I need to get an SD card reader for my PC. Someone's written a [url=http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=3156][u]program[/u][/url] to extract SSBB screen shots and save them as JPGs. Me and my friends could have all sorts of [strike]perverted[/strike] fun with that.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Oh man, I need to get an SD card reader for my PC. Someone's written a [url=http://www.n-sider.com/newsview.php?type=story&storyid=3156][u]program[/u][/url] to extract SSBB screen shots and save them as JPGs. Me and my friends could have all sorts of [strike]perverted[/strike] fun with that.[/color][/QUOTE]

Ahh, those were the days. Kudos to all my fellow gamers who discovered certain... Secrets about Peach's outfit in Melee.

(I think you can pick up a USB adapter for SD cards at Best Buy or a similar store, incidentally.)

So I just came home from playing Smash Brawl. I for one am not 100% impressed by it's difficulty. If there are some here who liked Melee because of it's gameplay and enjoyed wave dashing. Let's just say Brawl is a game for fun and not for skill. Definately a buy for those who love Smash Bros. Just not a skills game. Fyi Captain Falcon is awesome :P

[color=#4B0082]The game's been out for only a few weeks in Japan and isn't out elsewhere at all yet. Comparing it right now to high end play in SSBM, which consists of many techniques discovered over the course of years, is kind of unreasonable. At least give people a few months to start figuring out tricks and techniques in Brawl before judging how much depth it has. :rolleyes:[/color]

I'm not saying the game is horrible. Far from it. It has a great entertainment factor in it.

But hear this: Yesterday I went to a Smash Bros. Tournament here in quebec. There was the two best players in all of CANADA and I played against them in Brawl. I won every match.

In Melee however the mopped the floor off of me.

[color=#4B0082]Yeah, I get that; I didn't think you were saying Brawl is a bad game or anything.

However, your anecdote there says absolutely nothing about the depth of Brawl. It doesn't matter if it's a sequel, it's still a new game and it takes time to learn to play it well no matter how good you are at the previous game. Even if they're similar, fine tuned skills don't transfer so easily between games.

Like I said, give people a few months and they'll find plenty of tricks and techniques that give the game more depth. Right now the deciding factor of who wins and loses in Brawl is not so much skill but simply experience with the game and happening to find good techniques/counters first. Tournament rankings for any new game are going to be incredibly volatile in the first few months after release as people learn how things work.[/color]

[COLOR=#503F86]Yeah. One of the early gameplay videos I saw was Ike vs Dedede, and Dedede won by just spamming Ike with one attack. To me that smells of inexperience on both counts- it doesn't tell me that the game is shallow or that the Dedede guy was actually any good. I imagine if Ike had more experience and knew how to counter that move properly, the Dedede wouldn't have been so successful.[/COLOR]

In any case this game is a must buy. It is very entertaining, the Final Smashes are fun as heck. You have to literally fight to get it. Just that there struggling to get the ball to do your finishing attack, and use it against your opponents is satisfying.

I enjoyed playing this game emmensly (sp?). This will be a very fun game, and the online value? Through the roof!

[FONT=Arial]Having had a month of play time (give or take the days I decided real life was more important), I'll go ahead and agree with you, even if I think you're exaggerating things [I]just[/I] a tiny bit.

And yes, the gameplay is [I]quite[/I] different, although it feels kind of similar when using the Gamecube controllers. All the characters are bigger?either that, or Rainbow Cruise and Hyrule Temple are smaller. I think I said that earlier, though if not, I should have.

Oh, and before I forget, Marth's sword is shorter. I thought it was just my skills and the game's newness that caused me to suffer while playing him, but it is definitely shorter, and it frills with one's head. I retract my earlier opinion that it doesn't make a difference; it does. It feels like you're striking with his wrist, almost, instead of his rapier.

By contrast, Ike's sword is ridiculously long. I mean seriously. I was under the impression that the [I]show[/I] was two and a half men, and the [I]sword[/I] was man-and-a-half. Apparently I got it backwards. :p [/bad joke]

Can't wait to play it in English, though.[/FONT]

So, Amazon being as generally lovely as it is, I got my copy of the game about an hour and a half ago. Yay!

Right now I've just played a few simple brawls with my brother (either he's even rustier than I am, or my terribleness hasn't translated to Brawl), and I've tried out a few characters. Don't know if it's just me but Link feels easier to use. I was kind of bad as Ike... have to get used to his relative slowness. Fox is still super awesome, though I'm sad you can't do his amazing taunt every time. And, uh, making up dialogue to go along with the Subspace Emissary cutscenes is hilarious.

So far I've unlocked Ness and Marth, but I've yet to try either. And now I have to go back to doing homework. :(