OtakuBoards

Super Smash Bros. Brawl

Desbreko

Guest The Blue Jihad
I'm still going to kick a kitten, then a puppy, then step on a hamster.

Fan-service. It's ruining the industry. Mass retards should never have a say in anything.

• Replies 500
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#606060]Oh yeah I agree - sometimes it's great that the retards really [i]don't[/i] have a say in how companies are run.

Nintendo would probably be a clone of Microsoft now if that were the case. So I'm all for keeping the retards out!

Anyway, back on topic...

It seems that in some respects they revealed Sonic quite late...I mean, this game is due out in January in Japan. I suppose there are still a few more months to go, but still.

I wonder if they will reveal any further characters.

Does anyone have a character or two they would still like to see added to the ever-growing roster?[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
I'm dead serious, dude. You know goddamn well what I mean here. This entire thing was and is a ****ing circus that never ever should have been a circus at all.

And now the roster is a ****ing joke because of it. You have third party characters getting in because a game designer begged? You have third party characters getting in because of how a whole bunch of assclown morons voted? You have barely third-stringer characters that'll likely make it in because of how that bunch of assclown morons voted in yet another poll?

Oh, sure, Nintendo should just become another Microsoft? There's a huge ****ing difference between listening to fan feedback and letting fans design your own goddamn game. And you know there's a huge difference just as well as I do, so don't play coy.

But I'm in the minority here because I guess everyone is still fapping themselves. Big ****ing surprise. Years from now, people are going to realize how terrible this entire roster-voting fiasco was and what a screwed-up precedent it set.

And before someone hops in here with their ********, I'll say it right now. I don't have a problem with Sonic or Snake, necessarily. I have a problem with what they represent: a seriously screwed-up and skewed sense of developer-fan balance.

[color=darkred][size=1]Please don't bypass the swear filter. -- BlueYoshi[/size][/color]

[quote name='James][color=#606060']Does anyone have a character or two they would still like to see added to the ever-growing roster?[/color][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Joanna Dark.

Not sure how she'd work, but there it is.

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']And now the roster is a ****ing joke because of it. You have third party characters getting in because a game designer begged? You have third party characters getting in because of how a whole bunch of assclown morons voted? You have barely third-stringer characters that'll likely make it in because of how that bunch of assclown morons voted in yet another poll?[/quote]
Assume I don't have the slightest clue which characters you're talking about. Name 'em off.

(I'm just curious.)[/FONT]

[color=#606060]Oi, Alex, chill. Seriously - you're going to give yourself a heart attack. We're talking about games here, not politics or religion, lol.

Part of the problem with jumping in like a raving lunatic is that you read things incorrectly.

My comments about Nintendo not becoming more like Microsoft have nothing to do with players suggesting characters or whatever. The two comments are entirely unrelated.

What I meant is that I agree that the nuttier fans out there shouldn't be (and aren't, thank god) in control of what these companies do. That's the way it is and that's the way it should be, without doubt.

In terms of the specific concept of adding these characters...I can't say that I really see the issue. Nintendo isn't adding random characters simply for the sake of it; they're adding characters that they feel will add some value to the game. Do you really think Nintendo, of all companies, would just throw characters into a game if it broke the game? Of course not. That doesn't bear out at all.

What you will no doubt find is that these characters will blend seamlessly into the experience as they should. You can bet that Nintendo is working very hard to balance the characters out to get the game's feel just right.

Letting fans vote about characters and letting them "design the game" are two very different things. That much should be obvious. Nintendo are obviously not doing the latter, lol.

So yeah, I think it's worthwhile to just be careful that you're attacking an argument I'm actually making (rather than one you've invented on my behalf).

Also as I said, [i]chill[/i]. We're talking about games here, mate. No need for the constant painful-to-read ranting.[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]Does anyone have a character or two they would still like to see added to the ever-growing roster?[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]Since SEGA characters are (potentially) on the table now, I'd love to see Ulala from Space Channel 5. Other fun SEGA characters might the Jet Set Radio crew, that purple thing from NIGHTS, and Ax Battler from Golden Axe. And Bigs the Cat, Bigs the Cat is awesome.

As for Nintendo characters, the Captain Olimar suggestion from Alex was pretty good. I know that I'd love to play as Magikoopa.

[b]Allamorph:[/b] Do you think that having Diddy Kong in the game is any indication that we might get some other Rare characters? Personally I hate Conker and Banjo-Kazooie, but they'd be a good fit for this game. Those Jet Force Gemini kids might have a fun move set as well.

-Shy[/size]

[color=#606060]Captain Olimar would be great, I didn't think of that at all. I can imagine a pretty cool Pikmin-related special move there.

And Big the Cat? From Sonic Adventure? Er...someone actually liked him? Haha. :catgirl:

I think NiGHTS would be fun, in the sense that the character would never actually stand on a surface...he/she/it would hover just above the ground the whole time. Could see some interesting moves there too.[/color]

[quote name='Shy][size=1][b]Allamorph:[/b'] Do you think that having Diddy Kong in the game is any indication that we might get some other Rare characters? Personally I hate Conker and Banjo-Kazooie, but they'd be a good fit for this game. Those Jet Force Gemini kids might have a fun move set as well.[/size][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]As far as Conker goes, I'd have to go with the Utterly Despise option?however, I can see where he might be considered. Of course, I don't much care for Diddy Kong, either. I'm cool with DK, but everyKong else can just STFU and GTFO, and Diddy in particular. He really annoys the living tar out of me.

(I haven't played Jet Force Gemini.....:()

It's difficult to say, though. I'd like to see Rare characters open for this, but I don't know what kind of licensing issues, if any, would be involved with that process now that Rare jumped to Microsoft. (Unless I'm forgetting something.)

[quote name='James][COLOR=#606060']We're talking about games here, mate. No need for the constant painful-to-read ranting.[/COLOR][/quote]
Oh, just let him run with his bad self. It's not like it's out of character, or anything. :p[/FONT]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]And Big the Cat? From Sonic Adventure? Er...someone actually liked him? Haha. :catgirl:[/color][/QUOTE][size=1]Aside from Knuckles (who I've always hated) I am quite fond of all of the Sonic Adventure characters. It's just a shame that the game was such crap.

As for the developer "pandering" to the fanboys out there with this game, isn't that the whole point of Super Smash Brothers? There's never been a legitimate attempt to give the games a story. It's always just been a decent fighting game engine dressed up with extremely marketable characters.

I do understand that adding more humanoid characters to the game might throw things off a bit, but I'm ore than willing to deal with it. Third-string or not, the more characters the better.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]Those Jet Force Gemini kids might have a fun move set as well.[/size][/QUOTE]I've never had an interest in this game. But seriously, if they added characters from that game? One of the only shooter games that I like? I'd be tempted to get the game just to play as one of those characters. I love Juno, Vela and Lupus! :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='James'][COLOR=#606060]
Does anyone have a character or two they would still like to see added to the ever-growing roster?[/COLOR][/quote]

I always thought that the original Megaman would be a nice addition to Brawl?s roster. He?s a well known third party character that I think would blend in well with all of the other characters. Other characters that I think would be fun to bring in are Rawk Hawk from the Paper Mario series, Little Mac from the Punch-Out series, and Pac-man.

And high-five to anyone who suggested Captain Olimar since it would be awesome to utilize a group of Pikmins in the field of battle.

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]The Blue Jihad needs to take a chill pill. :^D

I really don't think any other SEGA characters will be in Brawl. I mean, Snake is the only Konami character that will appear. Why would Sonic be any different.

As far as other Third-Party characters go, either Megaman or Bomberman. I'm actually hoping they don't have either of them in but if they do I won't complain.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=deeppink]From what I understand, the developers don't want to include anything more than 1 or 2 third party characters, so I doubt anyone else is going to show up.

That being said, Little Mac would make me wet myself with joy.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko;793483][color=#4B0082]Sure, they're including a lot of characters that people have been crying for, but isn't that the whole selling point of Smash Bros.?[/color][/QUOTE][quote name='The Blue Jihad;793488]The attraction to Smash Bros was more "the Nintendo best of the Nintendo best beating the crap out of each other".[/QUOTE][QUOTE=SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I've never had an interest in this game. But seriously, if they added characters from that game? One of the only shooter games that I like? I'd be tempted to get the game just to play as one of those characters. I love Juno, Vela and Lupus! :catgirl:[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote][color=#4B0082]You were saying, Alex? :catgirl:

I think Mega Man would fit into SSBB really well. SSBM only had two characters with respectable projectile attacks (Samus and Link) so I think there's definitely room for him. And they have tons of boss weapons to draw from for attacks, plus Rush transformations (Jet Adapter from MM6 for Up-B anyone?), so I'm sure they could make make him into a great character.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]You were saying, Alex? :catgirl:[/COLOR][/quote]

Jet Force Gemini was terrible. Those characters sure as hell weren't any "Nintendo Best." They were mediocre fourth-stringers from an average N64 shooter. Diluted character pool these days, much?

Megaman I could support, especially since he was so instrumental in the success of the NES.

And how's about that new Feb 08 release date? Way to ****ing go, Ninty. Way to ****ing go.

[color=#4B0082]February 10, 2008. . . . Excuse me while a scream obscenities out my window for a moment.

Seriously though, I'd rather they take more time with it and get things right than rush it and have it end up feeling sloppy in some areas like Melee. If the past is anything to go by, I'll be playing Brawl for five years or more and I'd like it to hold up as best it can in that time.

I wonder how the delay is going to affect sales, though, since they're missing the big holiday rush. Or maybe the game has so much hype by now that it won't even matter.

On the plus side it looks like I can afford Metroid Prime 3: Corruption now.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
Lots of Brawl gameplay footage posted around the net. Check it out. Some interesting things going on in there, notably possible character-specific ^B changes.

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Aside from Knuckles (who I've always hated) I am quite fond of all of the Sonic Adventure characters. It's just a shame that the game was such crap.[/size][/QUOTE]

That's definitely an... atypical opinion on fav Sonic characters. Not that I mind, I see SOME value in Big, but you're the first person I've met who's favorites roster is practicaly reverse of everyone else's.

On that note, my first console was a Genesis. I'm gonna be looking more forward to spin-dashing Mario off a cliff than owning Sonic with Mario (Not that Mario isn't awesome.

Can anyone say Regis Philbin for Brawl?

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]I've never had an interest in this game. But seriously, if they added characters from that game? One of the only shooter games that I like? I'd be tempted to get the game just to play as one of those characters. I love Juno, Vela and Lupus! :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]That would actually tempt me as well. Most shooter games annoy the hell out of me since they require really getting into the game to be able to beat it. For that reason most shooter and fighter games are something that I rarely play. It gets boring really fast. But Jet Force Gemini was one of those games that my brothers and I enjoyed playing just for fun. I liked Lupus the best, especially when you reached the point where you got the upgrade.

So how 'bout the New Pork City map they debuted today? Looks like it might become SSBB's signature overused (but still cool), plus-size map, a title which has been held by the Zelda and Starfox series for the last two games.

[quote name='John']So how 'bout the New Pork City map they debuted today? Looks like it might become SSBB's signature overused (but still cool), plus-size map, a title which has been held by the Zelda and Starfox series for the last two games.[/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I don't know... New Pork City looks like a lot of fun on the count of its size, but I think the SSBB's signature overused map will be the Fire Emblem stage. It's not quite as big but it still looks sweet and the whole different floors thing is really cool (the basement floor looks awesome what with the lava and whatnot).

Also, they made the Sandbag mini-game multiplayer [I]and[/I] online. It made me laugh but it could be fun. :P[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[color=#4B0082][url=http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various10.html][u]OMG OMG OMG[/u][/url] there's a level editor! And you can save them to SD cards! And send them over the net to friends! This paragraph needs more exclamation points! :animestun

This has got to be the most awesome announcement for the game yet. Like the post on Smash Bros. Dojo says, it's going to add a crapload of longevity to the game. And the first two already had a crazy amount of replay value. I can't wait to start designing levels and also seeing what other people come up with.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082][url=http://www.smashbros.com/en_us/gamemode/various/various10.html][u]OMG OMG OMG[/u][/url] there's a level editor! And you can save them to SD cards! And send them over the net to friends! This paragraph needs more exclamation points! :animestun

This has got to be the most awesome announcement for the game yet. Like the post on Smash Bros. Dojo says, it's going to add a crapload of longevity to the game. And the first two already had a crazy amount of replay value. I can't wait to start designing levels and also seeing what other people come up with.[/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]Indeed. Agreed.

No joke, an edit function is going to be flat amazing.[/FONT]