OtakuBoards

Super Mario Galaxy

Ellerby

[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Ah, I see it now.

So, there is no C-Stick anymore? Just a button? If so, that's a shame. Now wouldn't it be neat if they had it set so you could hold down the C-Button and the Analog Stick would become the C-Stick? I think that'd be just great. Or if even while you hold down the C-Button, you moved the Nunchuk attachment to move the camera (not the crosshair, direction character us looking etc).

This would create that looking to the side while moving forward technique they have you do with the D-Pad (which I do quite a lot).

I'm a little worried about moving around in SMG. Not camera-wise, but just the whole running on a sphere idea. It could take a while to get used to, and I'm afraid I'll give up on the game before I get used to it.

Of course, I could never give up when it comes to Mario.[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
  • Replies 88
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[font=arial]You know, the main reason I don't imagine an E. Gadd invention for Mario in this game is because the player already has the Wiimote. If you think about it, the pointing/activation ability of the Wiimote in Super Mario Galaxy basically acts as a kind of secondary tool for Mario.

The main thing I hope to see is lots of different objects to interact with in fun ways (like the sticky trees, which are very cool).

In terms of multiplayer...it could be interesting in Super Mario Galaxy. I almost think a cooperative mode might be fun, especially if you're both running around and aiming at the boss with your Wiimotes; the fact that players are on planets of limited size is already probably beneficial for multiple players, if only due to the size.

Other than that, I think there are lots of possibilities if Nintendo were to include online play. You could have those simple type of modes where you race across the galaxy to find stars, or you could have some kind of obstacle course that requires heavier use of the Wiimote...lots and lots of possibilities. :catgirl:[/font]

• 8 months later...
[quote name='James][font=arial']The main thing I hope to see is lots of different objects to interact with in fun ways (like the sticky trees, which are very cool).[/font][/quote]
[color=#555555][FONT=Tahoma]Yeah, I agree. The sticky trees looked like a lot of fun (those were the things Mario was fighting the giant spider with, right?) and they could easily have more things like that in the game and corporate them into multiplayer modes (whether it be online, versus or co-op).

IGN.com recently released a video of an audio commentary (by Editor-in-Chief of IGN Wii) of Super Mario Galaxy. Take a look at the video for yourself [url=http://media.wii.ign.com/media/748/748588/vids_1.html]here[/url] (top right video labeled E3 Demo Walkthrough). I know that when I watched the beginning of it with that soft music, I melted inside. :animecry:

This video has caused me to place SMG back on the top of my Wii Games list.[/FONT] [/COLOR]

[B][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]New gameplay video from GDC 07! Click [url=http://www.gametrailers.com/gamepage.php?id=2660]here[/url]!

I'm [i]so[/i] impressed right now. Between this, the new Phantom Hourglass footage and the new Super Paper Mario gameplay... I'm blown away. This is going to be a great year for hardcore Nintendo fans, haha.[/FONT][/COLOR][/B]

[font=arial]The latest video of Super Mario Galaxy looks [i]brilliant[/i]. This is by far the best-looking Wii title I've seen. That's mostly due to the art style I think - this game has a real sense of character and seems incredibly vibrant. Super Mario Sunshine was very "bright", but its artistic design was very bland when compared to Super Mario Galaxy. I really get the feeling that this game is a return to form for Mario - about time, too!

This would have to be my #1 most-wanted title for the Wii this year. It's pretty much the reason I bought the system.

I'm loving that this video shows how varied this game will be. I remember a few people being upset that the first clip somehow looked very "small and plain". This latest video demonstrates that worlds will come in many different sizes and in many different forms. I also love how there are lots of little weird "side stages" scattered around the galaxy; it's very cool. I haven't been this excited about a new Mario game in a while.[/font]

• 6 months later...
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]Okay, so with Galaxy coming out in just over a month Nintendo has released some good videos of the game. One of which is the prologue (click [url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25847.html]here[/url]). Honestly the whole cinematic just about made me pee my pants. This looks like a true sequel to Mario 64. And they brought the air ships back (along with the epic music)!

So there is a butt load of other videos released with the prologue. I'm just going to list them and talk about them a little bit.

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25851.html]Honeybee Gameplay[/url]
Basically showcases one of the games new power ups, the Honey Mushroom. Looks pretty sweet.

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25856.html]Phantom Gameplay[/url]
This shows Mario using another new power up which allows him to transform into a Boo version of himself. With this power he can make Boos fall in love with him and follow him and also go through certain walls by turning invisible.

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25859.html]Jumping Gameplay[/url]
[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25868.html]Jumping Gameplay 2[/url]
Just Mario using different types of jumps and acrobatics. Always a key thing for a Mario game so I'm glad to see that they've actually got certain areas of levels that force you to use jumping.

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25860.html]Running Around Gameplay[/url]
Mario running around on different levels. Nothing special but oh well. Looks cool, hah.

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25864.html]Spinning Attack Gameplay[/url]
Just a short clip of Mario showing off his spin attack move.

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25867.html]Star Capturing Gameplay[/url]
This video shows different places where you'll need to grab onto stars to move Mario from place to place. Looks like a lot of fun!

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25873.html]Star Piece Shooting Gameplay[/url]
So we already knew that you could throw those star pieces at enemies, and this video shows just that. I believe there was a rumor that you can connect a second Wiimote for a friend to use and they can throw stars as well.

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25874.html]Star Ring Gameplay[/url]
Basically just shows Mario using different Star rings but I encourage you to watch it anyway just because at one part he flies around an entire level and it just really shows how gorgeous the game really is.

[url=http://www.gametrailers.com/player/25870.html]Mario Action Montage[/url]
If you're going to watch only one of these videos, watch this one. It shows a whole bunch of different fun activities Mario has to do. Racing on a Manta Ray? Awesome. Also I couldn't help but notice that when he is balancing himself on the giant gold ball, the faster he moves the quicker the music gets but as soon as he slows down the music does the same! Genius.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#606060]This game is just looking incredible.

I watched some of the other Japanese demo videos, including two player and creating a player...it all just looks amazing.

I'm not sure how many adjectives I can use to describe these videos, haha. But as a huge Mario fan, this game is driving me crazy - I can't wait for it!

I finally feel like Mario is making a true comeback. The more I see of this game, the more it looks like a major system seller.

It would be great if Nintendo chose to package SMG with Wii consoles sometime next year, especially if they do a new colour or something.[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]It would be great if Nintendo chose to package SMG with Wii consoles sometime next year, especially if they do a new colour or something.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred]I'm actually considering getting a Wii just for this game, and that idea would be very appealing to me.[/color]

[quote name='James'][color=#606060]I'm not sure how many adjectives I can use to describe these videos, haha. But as a huge Mario fan, this game is driving me crazy - I can't wait for it![/color][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I think you're on the same level I'm on where every time I see a new video my jaw drops and I fall a little more in love with Galaxy. I'm actually more excited more this then Brawl, even with the new Sonic announcement. >_>;

And that multi player video was sweet. It means that while I'm bragging about Galaxy and showing all my friends how cool it is, they can add a little bit to the gameplay without having to learn a bunch of fancy controls. I'm just hoping you don't have to make a whole new file to play with two players (I doubt you do, but there's a chance).[/COLOR][/FONT]

[color=#606060]Have you read the latest IGN preview?

Looks absolutely amazing. There are a couple more details revealed (like the role of the Observatory and stuff). Everything sounds fantastic.

I always try not to get expectations too high, but I must say, I'm expecting stellar reviews of this game. I think it will be [i]the[/i] game for this year's holiday season.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
James double-posting. What an *******. Then he deletes the double-post? That makes Baby Jesus want to punch a kitten in its tiny little jaw.

My interest in Galaxy waxes and wanes these days. Sometimes I'll be super frigging excited about it. Other times, I'm very lukewarm.

I think the thing that excites me most is if you can indeed orbit around the planetoids. That'd be killer. I know there's some puzzle feature that uses it, but I want full-blown orbiting. It'd be bad-arse.

[color=#606060]Yeah, my browser was being dodgy. It happens.

My understanding is that you can kind of slingshot a little bit - like if you long jump off the side of a planet you'll slingshot around to the other side. That's pretty cool, I just wonder if any puzzles will use that feature.

I'm mostly interested to know what elements are in the game that we still don't know about. Hopefully it hasn't been spoiled too much by all the previews.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
That reminds me.

We'd better have a Spaceman Mario costume. If only for the look.

I like the Boo and Bee, but there needs to be more.

Have you guys seen some of the new trailers where they revealed some of the new power-ups? Here’s a link to a website that combined all of the short trailers into one trailer.

[URL="http://www.gamersyde.com/stream_4917_en.html"]Combined Trailer[/URL]

They showed some neat stuff throughout the video, but I wouldn’t watch it if you guys don’t want to be spoiled as to what some of the newer power-ups are. All I have to say is, yay for the return of the fire and star power-ups.

[color=#606060]Whoa, yeah, that orchestral video was great. I really hope that the sound quality isn't downgraded at all upon recording - having the original orchestral score would be wonderful.

And that video...it's probably the most interesting one I've seen, despite the spoilers. The power-ups all look wonderful - it's amazingly cool to see the fireballs return. And I like that spring power-up; looks interesting.

One thing I notice, more than anything else, is the sheer [i]variety[/i] in this game. And that's something that IGN commented on recently; SMG never seems to repeat itself. Each world - and each level within each world - not only looks very different to the last one, but actually performs/functions differently.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='James'][color=#606060]One thing I notice, more than anything else, is the sheer [i]variety[/i] in this game. And that's something that IGN commented on recently; SMG never seems to repeat itself. Each world - and each level within each world - not only looks very different to the last one, but actually performs/functions differently.[/color][/QUOTE]
Yeah, I noticed that as well. It's one of the reasons I can't wait to get my hands on the game.

Has anyone else noticed the astounding similarity between the Super Mario 64 box and the Super Mario galaxy box? [url=http://img164.imageshack.us/img164/5426/mariosimilarpc0.jpg][U]Click.[/U][/url] Someone also pointed out to me that there is a spherical world in the background of the cover for 64. Foretelling the future?[/COLOR][/FONT]

I pre-ordered the game today.

Next to Phoenix Wright 3, it's probably been my my anticipated game of the year, so here's hoping it turns out. Seeing as how much I loved Jungle Beat, I think everything will turn out.

Question though, is it [i]really[/i] confirmed that the entire score is orchestrated? I saw a video on gametrailers that indicated it was, but after that horrible Twilight Princess soundtrack, I'm a bit cynical. Orchestrated Mario music throughout the entire game would bring the game up to an entirely new sphere. Ha, sphere! Get it?

[color=#606060]I haven't seen confirmation that the game's orchestration isn't MIDI-fied like TP's was...but then again, TP was a GameCube port and I'd say all the music was pretty much done at that stage (i.e. it was made for a much smaller capacity disc).

I'm hoping that because of the DVD format, Nintendo will have the space for full orchestral sound.

[/color]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]I've read in numerous places (previews and such) that all the music in the game is fully orchestrated, including on Nintendo's website. Let me see if I can find it...

Click [url=http://uk.wii.com/software/interviews/mario_galaxy/vol3/index.html]here[/url] to read all about the sounds in the game.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Oh man. I don't even have a Wii and I'm excited.

Then again I work at Gamestop and it's hard to avoid the mania that comes with any Super Mario game. I fielded so many reservations for Galaxy. And there are so many more people who didn't want to reserve and will come crying to me when we sell out in the first 48 hours. It's going to be pretty ugly.

But actually what is ugly is the number of people that ask me every day if we have any Wiis in stock. Are you KIDDING? We haven't had new Wiis in for months. Nintendo is so evil. If you're thinking about getting a Wii now, just stop. Don't think about it. You won't get one. Unless of course you send me money and I purchase the next used system we get in the store with my super fine discount and ship it to you.

Anyway though, the demo is out and playable and all over the place in the store I work at. I have to time people so one person doesn't just keep playing it for hours. Of course the fact that the average age of people playing with it is....oh....8... .....if they don't have their parents I get to kick them out by the tail anyway. But it comes out in less than two days. We have Galaxy promo posters plastered everywhere! Go wild people![/FONT][/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Me and a friend went and picked up Mario Galaxy yesterday and then spent about five hours playing it. I think we collected somewhere around 25 stars between both of us (we traded off playing as Mario and helping out as second player) and it was an absolute blast the whole time. The game has really lived up to its hype.

Playing it reminded me just how fun Mario games can be. Running, jumping, flipping and flying through the levels feels effortless thanks to the controls continuing to be top-notch. If you've played Mario 64 or Mario Sunshine you'll immediately be able to pick up Mario Galaxy since all the standard moves return, though in place of punching and kicking you have a spin move (think Mario's down+B from Smash Bros. only not as long lasting) to stun enemies before stomping them. I frequently find myself doing fancy jumps and crazy maneuvers just because it's fun to do them.

The level design is absolutely amazing too. There are so many awesome and original things they've done and I haven't even seen half the levels. And yet, it's all incredibly intuitive; when I'd come upon something I'd never encountered before I'd frequently be able to figure out right away what I needed to do with it, or else there'd be an NPC with a short note about how to do something. This kept me moving and having fun the whole time while still providing fresh experiences.

One thing about the game really annoys me though: as I feared, there is a severe lack of camera control. Supposedly you can use the control cross to change the camera angle but most of the time it doesn't actually let you. It seems like any time you're on a planetoid that you can run completely around, rather than it having a defined top surface, it doesn't let you move the camera. You can usually use the C button to center the camera behind you still . . . except that it usually doesn't actually center it behind you in that case, and rather just picks what it thinks is the best angle for the situation. It feels like Mario 64's camera all over again, even if it has been improved.

And another thing is that when you center the camera behind you it brings you to a full stop for about half a second and then you have to start running from a standstill again. So you can't really make camera adjustments on the fly with it since, well, you stop running when you tap the C button. I really don't get the reasoning behind that and it's incredibly annoying.

But, though it annoys me and has caused several deaths, the lack of Mario Sunshine quality camera control doesn't really cripple the game. I have a feeling it will just take time to adjust to the angles it gives me, like I had to do with Mario 64.

Oh, yeah, and I can tell you right now that this game will make you lean your head from side to side as you run around on the bottom of things and get weird views of stuff. It's not really a good or bad thing unless you have neck problems but I thought it was funny that I kept catching myself doing it without even thinking.[/color]

Sweetness! I also managed to get the game yesterday along with a free $25 gift card at my local Toy R? Us store.

I?ve only been able to play the game for about an hour and 45 minutes. So that?s around 7 stars for me. But yeah, I?m in love with this game already. Like Desbreko, I find myself tilting my head a lot as I maneuver around the galaxies. It?s very odd, because I don?t think I?ve ever experience this with any other games before. Everything else though has been very refreshing. The vibrant levels, the creative platforming, and the music are all amazing. And if I didn?t had so much school work to catch up on, I would be glued to the TV playing this game all day long. It's super addictive!

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Is anyone else loving the ability to shoot the Star Bits? Being able to sort of snipe enemies really adds a new angle to the gameplay. I love the way you collect them too.

Goddamn, everything is so intuitive! Moving from planetoid to planetoid adds a frentic pace. What annoyed me about old Mario games is, "you die, you start over", especially in extremely hard levels (STAR ROAD >:^O). But with this, if you fall in a black hole, you just restart on that planetoid. It relieves alot of the frustration that came with other Mario games.

As for the camera, I got used to it in about twenty minutes. The only nuisence when you first start is jumping on enemies. After a while, you will be pro, though. Trust me.

Everyone without a Wii: [/SIZE][/COLOR]

[IMG]http://www.geo-trotter.com/afrique/images/haha.gif[/IMG]

I've put about an hour or two into the game so far and I'm loving it. The best impression I can give of Mario Galaxy, is that it feels "magical." I never thought that I would be able to feel that way about a Mario game again, because I didn't really know where else they could go with the franchise. Like, when I first moved Mario with the D-pad, or got the Racoon cap, or moved Mario with the analog, it was just "magic." Mario Galaxy feels the same way to me; it feels more like the 2D platformers than any other 3D Mario game.

And the music--oh my God. Best soundtrack of the year.

As expected, Mario Galaxy is in the running for my game of the year. The only game that truly rivals it, for me, is Persona 3.