OtakuBoards

Favorite Band(s)

2010DigitalBoy

Okay, well, I hate deciding my alltime favorite band because I like so many, so I'll just do my favorites right now.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Coheed And Cambria[/COLOR] - This band is straight-up awesome. Their music is fantastic -- awesome riffs in all their songs -- some freakin great guitar solos in songs like Welcome Home and The Light & The Glass. The drumming is top-knotch matching the styles of Neil Pert. Claudio Sanchez is, in my opinion, the greatest vocalist ever with a range that dominates all others. The lyrics are always interesting and well-thought up and the story told by them throughout the CDs is equally grand. Overall, they just kick ***.

*waits for Amelia for AFI and Cygnus Stardust for Rush*

• Replies 98
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I'll list 3 favorite bands right now.

HIM: All right, this band is great. The songs they write sound more like poems with music added. The lead singers voice is light and maths the mood of the songs. The guitars are also very good and so are the drums. their newest video is Killing Loneiness.I highly recommand this band.

The 69 Eyes: Another great band. the lead singers voice is very deep and sometimes sounds like David Bowie in China Girl. I love the guitars in songs Devils, Lost Boys, and many other songs. I highly recommand this band

Billy Idol: I love his voice. His songs are great and combind with Steve Stevens guitar solos make them the best. His newest cd is called Devils Playground and its classic Billy Idol. There is very little change in his voice sence the 80's and sometimes I think that he might even sound better now.

[COLOR=Sienna]Jeez, why do I even bother posting... hahaha.

[B]Rush[/B] - They've been my favourite band for about 2 years, when they superceded The Tragically Hip (Still number 2!) as my favourite band. I love nothing more than sitting down and analyzing every riff, every drum beat, every cord, every lyric of Rush songs. The sheer musical prowess is enough to draw me to the power-trio. I love all of their work, from their earlier, more mainstream and rowdier works pre-Neil Peart (Specifically Working Man, that song rocks!), to their epic space-operas (2112 and Cygnus X-1 Book II especially), I love it all! Alex Lifeson is god on guitars!

And since I want to try something new, I'll talk about my old favourite.

[B]The Tragically Hip[/B] - No, they're not some hip-hop group of thugs, as the name would imply. They are an introspective Canadian rock band, fronted by the incredibly charismatic Gord Downie, and highlighted by said front man's incredibly vocal and lyrical talents. It's really a mystery to me why they never became popular outside the US. I mean, it's not like we kept them hidden or something - we put them all out there, and they took a the Barenaked Ladies and Avril Lavign and left the Hip to us. Well, I'm fine with that - this way, their lyrics stay more geared towards Canadians, which is what I love about them. Seriously, they are worth checking out - they may not have the instrumental talents of Rush, but they're just more fun to listen to in general.[/COLOR]

[font=trebuchet ms]Tical, you need to check out some Anthony Green projects like Circa Survive.

So, I'm tired of talking about Circle Takes the Square, so I'm going to pimp a recent favorite, Protest the Hero. They play politipunk-flavored metal with aweosme progressions and time changes. Imagine Between the Buried and Me's sound with beautiful clean vocals that really tell a good story. Their newest album, Kezia, blows away everything I've heard since like 2003. Like Tical's favorite, Coheed and Cambria, Protest the Hero's worthy cd is a concept album featuring a story about a girl that eventually gets hung and becomes a martyr. It's really great stuff, and it's definitely refreshing to hear this kind of music with clean vocals and minimal screaming. More bands need to do it.[/font]

[color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]Current? As in right now? [i]As in right this second?[/i].

It's a tossup. It's either The Dresden Dolls for their awesome album [u]Yes Virginia[/u], or Godhead for being Godhead - because as we all know, all a band has to do is physically be Godhead and they transcend all rules of time and space (and a few rules concerning scrums in rugby, as well). Say Anything is up there too, but they aren't Godhead, nor did they release [u]Yes Virgina[/u] so their application is denied.[/font][/size][/color]

[FONT=Georgia]I go through fads a lot, since every time I look around I seem to find a new and interesting group to listen to. Most often I'll listen to a band exclusively for weeks or months, but there's always that one band that comes back and I get stuck on for a while-Belle and Sebastian. Their latest album The Life Pursuit is a piece exhibiting their real maturity, and the flow of the album is just perfect. And no one can write song lyrics like them :animecry: It's so wonderful! Each song is a snapshot of a person, a city, an emotion, it's poetry that moves.

The other day I realized I've been a fan for six years. Nothing has been able to replace them. :catgirl: [/FONT]

[font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]Betcha guys wouldn't guess my favorite band is Angels & Airwaves...

What can I say about this band that I haven't in other threads? I know, I'll write it as an equation for you.

Tom Delonge - Blink 182 + totally sweet music + even more rad lyrics = way sweet band.

I r t3h gud at math.[/size][/color][/font]

Lately I've been listening to a lot of Sonic Youth, Curve, Slowdive, and Neil Perry.

Sonic Youth is my all-time favorite band. They're notoriously tough to get into (unless noise rock is your thing, and even if it is, you've probably already heard them before), but listen to them enough and you'll be able to appreciate the work they do in turning what should be horrible, dissonant noise into seriously fantastic music. Sonic Youth are incredibly influential (you'd be hard pressed to find many indie bands that don't at least have a tinge of Sonic Youth in them) and yet their music is still fresh and creative compared to their imitators and everyone else in general. It's also mind-blowing to realize that they've been making music for almost twenty-five years now and they've released very few bad or even average albums (especially since most bands who make music for that length of time inevitably burn out before their twenty-fifth year).

Curve and Slowdive are both shoegazing bands (though they're both fairly different from each other); I'm a [i]huge[/i] admirer of shoegazing even though it went out of style like ten years before I started listening to it. Slowdive makes very dreamy sounding music - that's basically enough to draw me in right there. It's light and it's not amazingly revolutionary, but damned if it doesn't create a great atmosphere. Curve is sort of in between shoegazing and electronica; it's a cool combination, and it's augmented by Toni Halliday's gorgeous, amazingly hot singing. She's easily the best vocalist I've ever heard.

I got into Neil Perry very recently (kthx R@R lolz) and I've been enjoying their music a lot. I can't say that I'm a huge fan of screamo (mostly due to not being familiar with it), but if there are more bands like Neil Perry in the genre, then I think I'd enjoy it. There's a great mix of hard, energetic music and more melodic stuff in their songs, which I like a lot. It's a combo that works well. Also, they have great titles for their songs. "Igor, My Girlfriend Dumped Me... Let's Write Sad Songs." Haha.

I just got Coheeds new Acoustc EP it is great just to tell you.
Favor House Atlantic is way better acoustic...check it out.

My favorite band right now is Emery or Dir en grey.
Emery has awesome vocals and very cathy lyrics...
I just plai nlove Dir en grey's Withering to death. release in USA and I can't stop listening to it.

[b][font=Verdana][color=blue]Edit:[/color][/font][/b]
[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=trebuchet ms]Tical, you need to check out some Anthony Green projects like Circa Survive.

So, I'm tired of talking about Circle Takes the Square, so I'm going to pimp a recent favorite, Protest the Hero. They play politipunk-flavored metal with aweosme progressions and time changes. Imagine Between the Buried and Me's sound with beautiful clean vocals that really tell a good story. Their newest album, Kezia, blows away everything I've heard since like 2003. Like Tical's favorite, Coheed and Cambria, Protest the Hero's worthy cd is a concept album featuring a story about a girl that eventually gets hung and becomes a martyr. It's really great stuff, and it's definitely refreshing to hear this kind of music with clean vocals and minimal screaming. More bands need to do it.[/font][/QUOTE]Circa Survive is a great band...

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Double posting is not allowed. Please use the edit button if you would like to say more after you post.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

[quote name='Zero']My favorite band now (Always has been and always will be) Linkin Park. I don't care what anybody, says that band is the best there is.[/quote]
[color=indigo][size=1][font=arial]That's probably a good thing, cause if you cared about what people say about Linkin Park, you might actually be depressed enough to take their music seriously.[/font][/size][/color]

[quote name='Zero']My favorite band now (Always has been and always will be) Linkin Park. I don't care what anybody, says that band is the best there is.[/quote]

[font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]Okay, okay, I had resolved that this would be the one forum that never found out, but... I like Linkin Park too. *sigh* You may commence throwing tomatoes at me now. I guess someone like myself who spends dark hours in her room staring at the roof contemplating the meaning of life requires an appropriate, depressing soundtrack for it. Linkin Park fits, unfortunately... [/size][/color][/font]

[quote name='PaganAngel][font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]Okay, okay, I had resolved that this would be the one forum that never found out, but... I like Linkin Park too. *sigh* You may commence throwing tomatoes at me now. I guess someone like myself who spends dark hours in her room staring at the roof contemplating the meaning of life requires an appropriate, depressing soundtrack for it. Linkin Park fits, unfortunately... [/size][/color'][/font][/quote]

Their one of my 5 all-time favorites, I hope like hell no one throws tomatoes for that. For their sake :devil:

[quote name='PaganAngel][font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]Okay, okay, I had resolved that this would be the one forum that never found out, but... I like Linkin Park too. *sigh* You may commence throwing tomatoes at me now. I guess someone like myself who spends dark hours in her room staring at the roof contemplating the meaning of life requires an appropriate, depressing soundtrack for it. Linkin Park fits, unfortunately... [/size][/color'][/font][/quote]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Linkin Park isn't really depressing, so much as teen angsty. If you want a depressing atmosphere, try The Cure, or The Smiths or - if you're feeling like getting depressed [b]and[/b] paranoid (aren't we all?) - Murder Ballads by Nick Cave. I used to take sleeping tablets and listen to that album in the dark when I was feeling contemplative. Then I realised sitting in the dark and being contemplative until I passed out wasn't fun at all so I stopped. Funny that.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Linkin Park isn't really depressing, so much as teen angsty.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]

[font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]...I'm 14...

Anyway, I haven't been listening to LP much lately. These days, Angels & Airwaves suffices as my stare-at-the-ceiling-and-contemplate tunes. [/size][/color][/font]

If you guys are searching for a truly dark, haunting atmosphere, I strongly suggest you check out the album "To Violate the Oblivious" by Xasthur. It's probably a bit [i]too[/i] dark for you, but damn. That's a haunting album if I've ever heard one.

Another good voyage through darkness, while we're on the topic, would be the album "Black One" by Sunn O))). It's not so much music as it is sounds, but it's atmosphere is massive and very dark.

well, if i'm in a dark mood, i usually listen to some radio station at launch.com, or my Evanescence cd. it's not really all that dark, but it's as good as i'm gettin, cuz my parents are cheap, and i'm too lazy to get a job, lol.

[QUOTE=PaganAngel][font="Gill Sans MT Condensed"][color="#993366"][size="2"]...I'm 14...

Anyway, I haven't been listening to LP much lately. These days, Angels & Airwaves suffices as my stare-at-the-ceiling-and-contemplate tunes. [/size][/color][/font][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]Being 14 isn't an excuse.[/font][/color][/size]

[B]AFI[/B] although they've been with me for five years now. I'm sorry, I just absolutely cannot get over the wonder of Narrative Of Soul Against Soul or God Called in Sick Today. And I don't think I ever will.

And, as of lately I've been in a huge [B]Streetlight Manifesto[/B] mood. I can't help it. Ska music just makes me loose all control and want to dance like a fool. It puts me in such a good mood!

But, other than that I've been breaking out [B]The Clash[/B] again because...well, who needs a reason! :animesmil

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS]Well, my sig practically says it.
Right now, I'm really into Panda. I used to listen to them back then
as well, but I wasn't really "obsessed" with them, as I am now.
The song that really caught my attention was "Cita en el Quirofano",
"Muñeca", "Si Supieras" and "Disculpa los malos Pensamientos".
I can understand why not many people have heard of them, they're
spanish rock.
Still, I think they're awesome ^^.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]The Mars Volta[/COLOR] - [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Omar A Rodriguez-Lopez [/COLOR] is the greatest musician ever. He can make about any noise with a guitar and he writes all of the brilliant music of the Mars Volta. These dudes are known for long dragged out musical pieces of total trip-rock. Their songs are just damn magical. Each of their CDs tell a story, though you prolly won't be able to figure them out unless you really study. [COLOR=DarkSlateBlue]Cedric Bixler-Zavala[/COLOR], the lyricist, is known for using big words you don't understand, analogies, and all kinds of uber-crazy stuff. He wrote a short story to tell the tale of their first album[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue] De-Loused in the Comatorium[/COLOR], and it's a masterpiece itself. Cedric is also known for his uberly high-pitched voice.