OtakuBoards

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Tavern

Dragon Warrior

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior][size=1]Now I don't know about you guys, but just like for [i]Dead Man's Chest[/i], I'm going to the first showing on the 25th, midnight, and I'll be first in line. For [i]Dead Man's Chest[/i], I was two hours early to guarantee my spot. This one will be no exception, I'm sure, and there will be people with the same idea as me. Sometimes it's kind of nice to live in small hick towns like I do. You don't have to beat such a huge rush like you would in L.A. or New York, camping out on the sidewalk for a week straight.

But what say you guys? Hitting the first showing?[/size][/QUOTE] I might see if I can reserve some tickets, but I'm not going to bend over backwards to see a movie that in all likeliness still won't be as good as the first one, in a theater [i]packed[/i] with people who will be cheering at every single character entrance, laughing at everything even slightly resembling a joke, and generally being a standard theater audience.

[size=1]The major thing people have to understand about the Pirates saga is that it was never intended to be a trilogy. The writers wrote the first one and didn't even expect it to take off. They were prepared for the worst of feedback. All the stuff they wrote in it (such as the broken compass) was simply extra jazz, and had no actual link to any future material. Upon the surprising (and fortunate) successful of [b]The Curse of the Black Pearl[/b], the writers decided to spawn two sequels linking the first one into a whole series of events in one bigger picture. And so, [b]The Curse...[/b] became the introduction and more or less the one that brings in all the characters and shows who they are. It sets it up for the big show.

People generally like [b]The Curse...[/b] more because it's the one that isn't more so tied around the plot. It's very freely done and was just pretty much a large playground for Jack Sparrow to run around being dashing and charming. Then he runs along with Will and Elizabeth and they all have some jolly good fun. But now in [b]Dead Man's Chest[/b] and [b]At World's End[/b], they actually have to start telling the story. This, I s'pose, lost some audiences. However, I still like it all the same. I think the jokes [i]are[/i] jokes and they've kept their touch intact.

Personally, for not ever planning to have a sequel, I think they tied everything in expertly. I mean, the compass and [i]everything[/i]. Down to the last thread, this thing will tie together so perfectly well. You must admit, that is an outstanding moment in screenwright history.[/size]

I found [URL=http://www.starz.com/features/bunnyclub/pirates/index.html]this[/URL] (click on the word "this" for link) today, and I hope it tides you all over until "At World's End" is released. This video's essentially a refresher course in the first two movies...in 30 seconds...re-enacted by bunnies! Very funny work, Jennifer Shiman is a genius! :animesmil

[QUOTE=Dragon Warrior][size=1]The major thing people have to understand about the Pirates saga is that it was never intended to be a trilogy. The writers wrote the first one and didn't even expect it to take off. They were prepared for the worst of feedback. All the stuff they wrote in it (such as the broken compass) was simply extra jazz, and had no actual link to any future material. Upon the surprising (and fortunate) successful of [b]The Curse of the Black Pearl[/b], the writers decided to spawn two sequels linking the first one into a whole series of events in one bigger picture. And so, [b]The Curse...[/b] became the introduction and more or less the one that brings in all the characters and shows who they are. It sets it up for the big show.

People generally like [b]The Curse...[/b] more because it's the one that isn't more so tied around the plot. It's very freely done and was just pretty much a large playground for Jack Sparrow to run around being dashing and charming. Then he runs along with Will and Elizabeth and they all have some jolly good fun. But now in [b]Dead Man's Chest[/b] and [b]At World's End[/b], they actually have to start telling the story. This, I s'pose, lost some audiences. However, I still like it all the same. I think the jokes [i]are[/i] jokes and they've kept their touch intact.

Personally, for not ever planning to have a sequel, I think they tied everything in expertly. I mean, the compass and [i]everything[/i]. Down to the last thread, this thing will tie together so perfectly well. You must admit, that is an outstanding moment in screenwright history.[/size][/QUOTE] Just because the sequels are inferior for a reason doesn't mean we should excuse them for that. Frankly, the trilogy just seems to be getting way too epic, and certainly way too self-conscious. I'm not saying the third one will suck (or that it won't) or that I didn't enjoy the second, but the storyline just wasn't built for a trilogy. It was built for that one-film romp, and for that jack-of-all-trades element that combines the fun, superficial aspects of many genres; it's the same element that made movies like Princess Bride so great, and the reason they usually don't have sequels.

[size=1]I never said the sequels were inferior for a reason. In fact, if anything, I stated they were well done. It's a matter of opinion if the first one was the best (and I will say, it is still my favorite of the two I've seen). What I was saying was that the majority of the public feel the first one was the best. However, I think that if it was a bad idea to make the sequels in the first place, the trilogy wouldn't be grossing so much. Apparently, it's doing pretty well, so I can't say that they took the wrong route on this.[/size]

[COLOR=Purple][B]I love Pirates of the Carribean! omgosh im in the high school concert band and for our concert we are playing music from the 1st movie and it sounds awsome!I could take my trumpet out,pop in the movie and play along its so cool! But yeah I cant wait for the third movie to come out. Im going to go see it Friday with a couple of friends.[/B][/COLOR]

[size=1]Haha, yeah, apparently most bands do play the Pirates of the Caribbean Theme. Every school's band around here does, anyway. Anybody that visits my Myspace and sees I have that song on there, they shout at me, "My high school band plays that!" Good thing I like that song or else I'd be sick to death of it by now :P[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
I just came from the premier of [B]Pirate's of the Caribbean: At World's End[/B], and I have to say that I loved it, loved it, [I]loved it[/I]! XD

After the disappointment that was Spider-Man 3, I regained my faith in Hollywood blockbusters. This movie had it all: deep character development, imaginative plot-twists, loads of humor, exciting action scenes and of course awe-inspiring special effects - all in good ration. I loved how they for once gave time to dialogue and the characters, and left the action and fighting scenes to the background (unlike in the second movie).

Orlando was the hotness, Johnny Depp showed yet again what a king of dandies he is, and even Keira Knightley kicked butt this time, instead of being just the "damsel in distress". The supporting cast was magnificent, all the way to Keith Richards.

It was a really great conclusion to the trilogy, it tied the previous two movies into it, but also brought a lot of new insight to the PotC mythos (the Pirate Brethren Council and the sealing of Calypso, for a top example).

If I have to mention one thing that kinda bothered me, it was that Sao Feng as a villain was left a bit stale. I also remember that some previews described him and his crew as "cursed", when in fact they were just common people. I was expecting something in the veins of Davy Jones's crew...

But yeah, in my opinion this was by far the best movie of the series, and really salvaged the whole trilogy, giving it consistency and continuity.

[size=1]I have seen At World's End. I can die now.

Unlike you, Sandy, it's not my favorite of the three (#1 still is my cherished), however I agree it's an amazing end to an amazing saga. Sandy says it all. Though Keith Richards didn't seem necessary. It was almost like they threw him in because Johnny Depp somewhat based himself off Richards. I saw more of Kevin Kline's character from "Pirates of Penzance" in Jack Sparrow than Keith Richards, as Depp also based Jack off the Pirate King from said famous musical. Still, it didn't hurt it, but still didn't make it any better.

Overall, I'm very satisfied. I'm sorry, but I'm still in awe :D[/size]

[SIZE=1] I really didnt like the third one, cos there were alot of blackstabbing sub plots in the middle of the film [which completely threw me off course numerous times]. the aforementioned sub plots threw me so off course I forgot the entire plot of the film

also I find there was a [B][U][I] little[/B][/U][/I] too much comic relief, in my opinion.
I liked the beautifully choreographed fight scenes toward the end. what I didnt understand at the end was: [spoiler] how the hell did turner and the rest of the dutchman's crew stay human?[/spoiler]

damn sub plots. that's why I liked the first and second films, they had straight to the point plots.
by the way: Keira Knightley = sexy pirate.[/Size]

[SIZE=1]I've not even heard a peep about this film, which is odd seeing as they advertised the hell out of the last one.

I'll just go and look at a trailer on YouTube, God bless broadband...

...Great trailer and apparently it's on in the cinema tonight. Off we go then.

On a side note the plot reminds me a lot of the last Monkey Island game.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma][quote name='Felix Santiago][SIZE=1][spoiler] how the hell did turner and the rest of the dutchman's crew stay human?[/spoiler'][/Size][/quote]
They say so in the movie. [spoiler]The only reason Davy Jones and his crew goes all tentacle and barnacle-covered is because Davy doesn't do his job of ferrying souls. Since Turner does the job, he remains human-looking.[/spoiler]

Actually, this has got to be my favourite of the three. It really did tie up every loose thread ([B]especially after the scene that's at the end of the credits[/B]).[/FONT][/COLOR]

[size=1]Yes, most of my friends complained [spoiler]about Will and Elizabeth and "How they should be together forever!"[/spoiler] but if you watch after the credits, you'll know.

However, there's rumor of a fourth Pirates movie coming out now. [spoiler]I don't see them continuing with Will and Elizabeth, but they can definitely go on with Jack and Barbossa (hehe... Hector) and the Fountain of Youth.[/spoiler][/size]

Loved it. <3

It's funny--everything that I wanted to happen in this movie occurred almost as soon as I thought of it. When they mentioned [spoiler]voting for the Pirate King, I thought, "Gee, wouldn't it be cool if Elizabeth won? But naaaah, they'd never do that." When it was revealed that whoever stabs Davy Jones' heart has to take over his job, I thought, "Wow, what if they actually made Will the next Davy Jones? But naaaah, they'd never do that."[/spoiler] My favorite parts, though, were [spoiler]the marriage and Elizabeth's rousing speech.[/spoiler] As if I weren't already totally infatuated with her.

~Dagger~

[SIZE=1]Just got back from it a while ago and I have to admit I'm quite disappointed with the film, the plotline was for the most part predictable, and despite the fact there were a few interesting twists and turns along the way the whole thing ended up pretty much as I thought it would.

It's late so I'm going to be brief, this latest instalment relied far too heavily on CGI effects and actors Bill Nighy and Geoffrey Rush to provide solid performances. Kiera Knightley it seems milked the fact this was her last film as much as possible as there was scarcely a segment to the film that she not directly, dare I say dominantly participate in.

Johnny Depp who really made the first film a hit with his irrepressible behaviour seemed frankly limited to comic relief far too often and had no real presence in the film aside from the odd bit of intrigue and double dealing. I realise he was dead and all but still his performance still left a lot of be desired.

Keith Richards rocked, that's all I can say. He was the coolest pirate of them all and should definitely have been the Pirate King as opposed to [spoiler]Elizabeth[/spoiler]. The relatively early [spoiler]deaths of Admiral Norington and Governor Swan also seemed unnecessary, hell they themselves were unnecessary for the most part.[/spoiler]

Overall I'd have the give the film a max of 7/10. It was OK but not a film I'd go back to the cinema to see.[/SIZE]

[quote name='White][COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]([B]especially after the scene that's at the end of the credits[/B]).[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1]How do I always manage to miss stuff like that ? Oh well.[/SIZE]

(I also missed the end of the credits, and I'm not going back to see it again just for that. Anyone wanna fill me in on what happened?)

So, yeah. If you enjoyed this movie, then go you. It did suck--what with the crappy comedic timing, unimaginative backstabbing, lack of character development (except Jack. I like how they started in on his fear of death), lame acting on Orlando's and Keira's parts, forced romantic tension, ridiculous ballooning of a fun movie romp into another underwhelmingly epic story, glaring plot holes ("[spoiler]Barbossa? But how is he here?![/spoiler] :O" "BECAUSE I SAID SO, MMKAH?"), and failure to kill off Elizabeth in the first scene (I could write an entire post on why she should be shoved off a cliff)--but, well, I guess if that's where your tastes lay...

[size=1]For your convenience, John, my friend, [spoiler]after the credits, it shows Elizabeth's island ten years later with her son looking out toward the sunset where a flash of green light occurs, then it shows Will returning to her on his ship just as he promised. That's all[/spoiler] :][/size]

Loved the first movie, okay with the second, loved the third. At World's End made me love Elizabeth, because she was just that [spoiler]spiffy as a Pirate king[/spoiler]. I also now want a Tia Dalma plush toy, complete with rock/crab accessory.

Did anyone else feel like Keith Richards' moments were a little wasted? Keith was awesome, but those scenes were just so brief. Which is why we need a fourth movie.

If nothing else, At World's End gave me an appreciation for peanuts.

[COLOR=Magenta]I really loved this movie and I saw it over the weekend. I loved the third movie and going to watch it again. ^^ Overall, I heard what the critics said about the movie and said that it wasn't as good as the first two. I was OMG! Orlando was super hot in this movie. I sad when[spoiler] he got killed by Davy Jones and then he stabbed Davy Jones' heart and become the captain. It made me sad when Jack Sparrow had to take Elizabeth away from the ship and the dad had to cut out Will's heart.[/spoiler] I cried but I loved the part [spoiler] after The Flying Dutchman sank and then rose up again with Will as a captain with his shirt open and everything. It was cool how the Black Pearl and the Flying Dutchman were on a head on collision when they turned at the same time and faced the Lord's ships.

Then both ships were on both sides of the ship and started to fire at the ship. At the end when Jack stole the center of the map[/spoiler] they could make another movie. The end was so good [spoiler] when Will had to return to the boat and gave his heart to Elizabeth and a the way end when it said Ten Years Later. The kid was so cute and probably hadn't seen his dad, which was Will and see Will come back from the ocean.[/spoiler] This movie was the best and I'm gonna see it again with some more of my friends later. Yeah. ^^ [/COLOR]

[size=1]I will come and say that there's rumor of a [b]fourth[/b] coming out, but I haven't mentioned it because it's not definite. They're discussing doing it, but they're not sure. Originally, there was only to be one movie, then they decided to make it a trilogy. Now they want to do more. And Johnny Depp is ALL for it! I can see it'd work too. [spoiler]After watching [b]At World's End,[/b] you can tell Elizabeth and Will are done because they'd complicate things, especially after it shows them ten years later with a kid and shiz. But they can continue with Jack and Barbossa and the Fountain of Youth.[/spoiler] Exciting![/size]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior][size=1] [spoiler]After watching [b]At World's End,[/b] you can tell Elizabeth and Will are done because they'd complicate things, especially after it shows them ten years later with a kid and shiz. But they can continue with Jack and Barbossa and the Fountain of Youth.[/spoiler'] Exciting![/size][/quote]

[color=deeppink][spoiler]Dumping those two are just what the series needs. Especially Will.

More focus on Jack, I say![/spoiler]

Still, I'm not psyched about a fourth. That's really just beating a dead horse.[/color]

[size=1]That's what I thought too. But still, [spoiler]if they think of some new stuff for Jack, they can possibly pull it off. I agree that leaving Will and Elizabeth behind's good. They were getting old and can't do much more. Jack still has potential, if done right. But you could kind of sense Jack was running dry in the third. I just hope they can figure out how to advance him more. It's like, they already have the sea battles pretty much done. How much more cannonfiring can we stand? Haha.[/spoiler][/size]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior][size=1]I will come and say that there's rumor of a [b]fourth[/b] coming out, but I haven't mentioned it because it's not definite. They're discussing doing it, but they're not sure. Originally, there was only to be one movie, then they decided to make it a trilogy. Now they want to do more. And Johnny Depp is ALL for it! I can see it'd work too. [spoiler]After watching [b]At World's End,[/b] you can tell Elizabeth and Will are done because they'd complicate things, especially after it shows them ten years later with a kid and shiz. But they can continue with Jack and Barbossa and the Fountain of Youth.[/spoiler'] Exciting![/size][/quote]

Wait wait wait!!! [Spoiler]There's a kid??? I saw the movie just yesterday, and I don't remember there being a kid... In fact, I didn't think it looked like 10 years in the future since they both looked just as young... And why would Will have kept his own heart for 10 years when he could have just given it to Liz from the start? Seriously, I thought it was like the next day. Like it was Will's day on land to signify the exact day in 10 years for his new "job." But nowhere did I see a kid![/Spoiler]

Sorry that all had to be in spoilers...

Fourth Movie=Crap

If they did it, I would have to actively protest it to all of my friends not to go and see it. Trilogies are good, and sometimes they're excellent, but SERIOUSLY!!! Disney needs to quit while they're ahead. Consiering that PotC was their first PG-13 movie ever, maybe they should consider releasing a new movie (or trilogy) that is PG-13 and see how well they can make that.

And I completely disagree about Liz and Will. I for one, would be appalled to watch the movie without either one of them. They're what made the movie and to just end their presence in a fourth (even though I'm totally against it) would completely ruin it for a lot of people. (Not everyone's there to see just Depp, you know)

[B]EDIT:[/B]After reading up a the previous posts I realize that it was all AFTER the credits with the 10 years later and such!!! Why do I never stay after the credits???

[quote name='Darren][B]EDIT:[/B']After reading up a the previous posts I realize that it was all AFTER the credits with the 10 years later and such!!! Why do I never stay after the credits???[/quote][color=#007520]Yeah, Pirates has had stuff after the credits since Movie 1.

P1 CotBP - [spoiler]Monkey steals a gold coin to become immortal again.[/spoiler] This explains some scenes in Movie 2.
P2 DMC - [spoiler]Dog runs away from cannibals.[/spoiler] Short, cute, and pointless. Doesn't really explain any scenes in Movie 3.
P3 AWE - [spoiler]We see Will meet his daughter for the first time after 10 years.[/spoiler] Nice way to close off their storyline.

My question is, why was [spoiler]Barbossa one of the Pirate Lord Captain things? I thought he wasn't in command before they marooned Jack...[/spoiler]

-r2[/color]