OtakuBoards

Pirates of the Caribbean: The Tavern

Dragon Warrior

I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, start to finish. I didn't think that there was too much comic releif, I felt the balance between comic releif and all out action was well balanced. You got the laughs in all the right places, and the action to boot.

One nitpick though, [spoiler] the demise of the Kraken.[/spoiler] What happened there? It was quite a shame to see this event explained away by couple of [spoiler] "Oh, look, a dead Kraken, oooih!"[/spoiler] lines.

All in all, a very good flick, made special by the superb cast and character interaction. Jack Sparrow and Captain Barbossa could carry a fourth Priates film in their own right. It's clear that the two characters have a lot of history and this could be explored to greater depths with a fourth film, I mean, if they get a good story, a good reason to come back and do a fourth, there's no reason not to consider it, right?

Elizabteh and Will would have to return in the foruth movie. [spoiler]I'm sure Will's new role as the captain of the Flying Dutchman could be explored, and Keira Knightley is too sexy to be left out of the next one, she's an awesome pirate king too.[/spoiler]

I'd give Pirates 3 a generous 8.5/10. Because I'm easily impressed.

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[B]On the movies:[/B] Overall, the movie was a bit too long and confusing, but don't get me wrong- I loved it just as much as the last two. Very funny and exciting, one of the best Disney live-action movies I've ever seen. I highly reccomend watching the bloopers on the DVD's as well- where in some movies they're pointless and downright stupid, [I]Dead Man's Chest[/I] had especially good outtakes, from Beckett dancing to the "Davy Jones Crocodile Machine" to the bit about Johnny Depp's dog.

(I'm ashamed to say I didn't even know about the bonus scenes until a day or two later, when I researched the plots on Wikipedia. I'm going to have to re-watch both movies now...)

Don't forget, Starz and USA are showing the first two movies tonight. If you need to catch up, remember to tape them.

[quote name='Dragon Warrior][size=1]For your convenience, John, my friend, [spoiler]after the credits, it shows Elizabeth's island ten years later with her son looking out toward the sunset where a flash of green light occurs, then it shows Will returning to her on his ship just as he promised. That's all[/spoiler] :'][/size][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Well now [spoiler]I imagine father's day must be of great enjoyment in that family. Oh well, at least Jack and the boy have something in common. I loved that "How's mum ?" line.[/spoiler][/SIZE]

[QUOTE=r2vq][color=#007520]My question is, why was [spoiler]Barbossa one of the Pirate Lord Captain things? I thought he wasn't in command before they marooned Jack...[/spoiler]

-r2[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1][spoiler]One of the 9 Pirate Lords, and actually I'd also like to know how that's possible. I can't imagine one PL serving under another, unless of course Barbossa got his title after he marooned Jack from another Lord.[/spoiler][/SIZE]

[size=1]That's the thing, Gavin, [spoiler]'cause these "pieces of eight" trinkets were passed down from a Captain to another Captain and whoever had it was captain of the ship. But Jack still had his even though he was marooned. Also, Barbossa would've had to have been captain of another ship at some other point to have his "eye" so... [/spoiler]it confuses me as well.[/size]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior][size=1]That's the thing, Gavin, [spoiler]'cause these "pieces of eight" trinkets were passed down from a Captain to another Captain and whoever had it was captain of the ship. But Jack still had his even though he was marooned. Also, Barbossa would've had to have been captain of another ship at some other point to have his "eye" so... [/spoiler']it confuses me as well.[/size][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Yeah that's what I meant. It just seemed a very confusing way to tie up a few plots pieces.

[b][Edit][/b] Wiki has some info on this. [spoiler] [url=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Brethren_Court]Pirate Lords[/url][/spoiler]

Just out of curiousity [spoiler]who here would have voted for Jack's dad to be Pirate King ?[/spoiler][/SIZE]

[quote name='Dragon Warrior][size=1]That's the thing, Gavin, [spoiler]'cause these "pieces of eight" trinkets were passed down from a Captain to another Captain and whoever had it was captain of the ship. But Jack still had his even though he was marooned. Also, Barbossa would've had to have been captain of another ship at some other point to have his "eye" so... [/spoiler']it confuses me as well.[/size][/quote]

[color=deeppink]Where was this mentioned? I don't remember anyone ever saying that.

I mean, if we apply that logic, [spoiler]Jack being a Pirate Lord in the first place would be just as incongruent, seeing as he didn't take the Black Pearl from another pirate, and he furthermore didn't become a pirate until obtaining the Black Pearl.

I don't think it's too far-fetched that a captain could recieve a piece of eight from another captain. Hector was an invinvible marauder for quite a while, he could have easily just taken it.[/spoiler][/color]

As for the confusion over the pirate lords, [spoiler]it was a BS cop-out that the writers probably hoped nobody would notice. Because [i]they are aware that it doesn't always have to make sense to pull in more cash.[/i][/spoiler]

And if they do make a fourth movie without [spoiler]Will and Elizabeth[/spoiler], I will [i]totally[/i] see it. I might even enjoy that concept so much that I forgive the writers for making At World's End. ([spoiler]This is not to say that I think Will and Elizabeth won't be used in the fourth one though. Mostly just that the writers would have a hard time keeping them as main characters. In fact, I wouldn't be surprised at all if they used either of them as side characters, especially Will.[/spoiler])

[SIZE=1]I really loved this movie. I didn't like the second one, so I wasn't sure going into this one but I came out happy. The first and the third movies are my favorite.

I think there was a perfect amount of comic relief in the movie. Thats one of the things I enjoy so much about it. Its alot of action, plus Jack's humor. Its great.

I agree with Jeremiah about Jack and Barbossa in a fourth film. I guess Will, Elisabeth, and [spoiler]thier son[/spoiler] could be in it, but I don't know what exactly Will could do now that he's the [spoiler]captain of the Flying Dutchmen[/spoiler]. :/[/SIZE]