OtakuBoards

Name Origins

Fyxe

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][SIZE=1][FONT=Verdana]Okay. So mine are lame.
I've never really liked my name...

STEPHANIE

Usage: English, German

Pronounced: STEF-an-ee [key]

Feminine form of STEPHEN

From the Greek name Στεφανος (Stephanos) meaning "crown". Saint Stephen was an early Christian martyr who was stoned to death, as told in Acts in the New Testament. Another Saint Stephen is the patron saint of Hungary, the first Christian king of that country (10th century). As well, this was the name of kings of England, Serbia, and Poland and ten popes. More recently it is borne by the British physicist Stephen Hawking and the American author Stephen King.

(I had to go scrounge up the meaning for Stephen, because apparently I'm not good enough to have my own definition.)

BROOKE

Usage: English

Pronounced: BRUWK [key]

Variant of BROOK

From an English surname which denoted one who lived near a brook.

DALTON

Pronounced: DAWL-tun [key]

From a surname which was originally from a place name meaning "valley town" in Old English. A notable bearer of the surname was John Dalton, the English chemist and physicist who theorized about the existence of atoms.

So I am a crown that lives by the brook in the valley town.
[I]niiiiice[/I] .[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=SlateGray][SIZE=1]My first name and my two of my three middle names.

[b]Name:[/b] [i]Rodrica[/i]

[INDENT][i] - Female variation of Roderick or Rodrick. Please see Roderick or Rodrick for meaning.[/i]

[b]Roderick.[/b]
[b]Gender:[/b] Masculine.
[b]Usage:[/b] English.
[b]Pronounced:[/b] RAHD-ur-ik, RAHD-rik

[i] - "Famous power" from the Germanic elements hrod "fame" and ric "power". This is the name of the main character in the poem 'The Vision of Don Roderick' by Sir Walter Scott.

In Scottish this name means famous ruler or .[/i]
[/INDENT]

[b]Name:[/B] Lei.

[INDENT][i] - Lei meaning flower bud or to tire.[/i]

[b]Gender:[/b] Female.
[b]Usage:[/b] Chinese.
[b]Pronounced:[/b] LIE[/INDENT]

[b]Name:[/b] [i]Bengjira.[/i]
[INDENT][i] - Origin of name is unknown. 'Daughter of Benjamin, our right handed son or man.'[/i]

[b]Gender:[/b] Female.
[b]Usage:[/b] Unknown.
[b]Pronounced:[/b] BEN-geari-a[/INDENT]

I've never actually met anyone else with the same name of Rodrica or of Roderick.

Although I won't post any of my surnames, my father's origin is British / Irish. Our crest meaning is supposedly [i]'Those brave in times of hardship and war.'[/i] Which goes well when combined with my first name.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Although I'm not a fan of my full name I got curious and figured I'd post.[/SIZE]

[Quote]
[B]VICTORIA[/B] [First Name]

[B]Gender:[/B] Feminine

[B]Usage:[/B] English, Spanish, Romanian, Ancient Roman

[B]Pronounced:[/B] vik-TOR-ee-a
The boy's and girl's name Victoria is pronounced vic-TOR-ee-ah. It is of Latin origin, and its meaning is "victory." Feminine form of Victor. Victoria was a goddess who smiled on the ancient Roman people for many centuries.This name was borne by a long-reigning queen of England. A Canadian city bears this name in her honour, as well as an Australian state and several other geographic areas. Royal associations from 19th-century England's Queen Victoria and the four-syllable pronunciation give Victoria an air of dignity, formality and distinction.[/Quote]

[Quote][B]ELLEN[/B] [Middle Name]

[B]Usage:[/B] English, Dutch

[B]Pronounced:[/B] EL-en
Medieval English form of HELEN. It is also the Dutch form of HELEN or ELEANOR.[/Quote]

[Quote][B]MARY[/B] [Middle Name]

[B]Usage:[/B] English, Biblical

[B]Pronounced:[/B] MER-ee
Usual English form of Maria, which was the Latin form of the New Testament Greek names Mariam or Maria (the spellings are interchangeable), which were from the Hebrew name Miryam. The meaning is not known for certain, but there are several theories including "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child". However it was most likely originally an Egyptian name, perhaps derived in part from mry "beloved" or mr "love". This is the name of several New Testament characters, most importantly Mary the virgin mother of Jesus, and Mary Magdalene. Two queens of England have had this name, as well as a Queen of Scotland, Mary Queen of Scots.[/Quote]

[SIZE=1]Eh, that's it for me.I actually have five names in my name, six if you include that silly name they make you pick in Church. My full name is [B]Victoria Ellen Mary Gorski[/B] [Bernadette] [B]Sherratt[/B]... (for the sake of my sanity let's not count Bernadette) XD. Alright, my parents are nuts. But I [I]like[/I] my name (all [I]six[/I] of them).

Turns out I have two names of Queens ^_^ I don't go by Victoria, anyways, as you can see. I prefer Vicky and I'll break anyone's neck who calls me [I]Victoria[/I].[/SIZE]

My name is Matthew Anthony Federico.

Matthew is Hebrew and means 'God's gift'. Anthony is Latin and/or Greek and stands for 'flower, priceless or flourishing'. Federico is Italian, but I'm clueless what it could mean.

EDIT: Okay, after using Shinmaru's site, I got some more information for you.

[b]MATTHEW

[u]Gender: Masculine[/u]

[i]Usage: English, Biblical[/i][/b]

[quote]Pronounced: MATH-yoo
English form of Ματθαιος (Matthaios), which was a Greek form of the Hebrew name מַתִּתְיָהוּ (Mattityahu) which meant "gift of YAHWEH". Saint Matthew, also called Levi, was one of the twelve apostles (a tax collector). He was supposedly the author of the first Gospel in the New Testament.[/quote]

[b]ANTHONY

[i]Pronounced: AN-tho-nee, AN-to-nee[/i][/b]

[quote]From the Roman family name Antonius, which is of unknown Etruscan origin. It is sometimes claimed to mean "flower" from Greek ανθος (anthos). Mark Antony (Marcus Antonius) was the Roman general who ruled the Roman empire jointly with Augustus for a short time. Their relationship turned sour however, and he and his mistress Cleopatra were attacked and forced to commit suicide. Shakespeare's tragedy 'Antony and Cleopatra' is based on them. Other famous bearers include the 3rd-century Saint Anthony the Abbot, a hermit from Egypt who founded monasticism, and the 13th-century Saint Anthony of Padua, the patron saint of Portugal.[/quote]

[b]FEDERICO

[i]Usage: Spanish, Italian

Pronounced: fay-day-REE-ko (Italian)[/i][/b]

[quote]Spanish and Italian form of FREDERICK. Italian filmmaker Federico Fellini and Spanish poet Federico Garcia Lorca are famous bearers of this name.[/quote]

So, according to my calculations,it would seem I am a gift of god that is a flower named Fredrick. Well, that is interesting.

[FONT=Lucida Console][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkSlateGray]My full name is Derald Francisco Vogt Mata.

I recently looked into some name databases, and here is what I came across:

[B]Derald[/B] - [QUOTE]DERALD was not found in this database.[/QUOTE]

This was pretty much the sum of all searches regarding my first name, as it was also not even [I]related[/I] to any word in any language I searched through.

[B]Francisco[/B] - [QUOTE]Gender: Masculine
Usage: Spanish, Portuguese
Pronounced: frahn-SEES-ko (Spanish), frahn-THEES-ko (Spanish) [key]
Spanish and Portuguese form of Franciscus (see [B]FRANCIS[/B]). A notable bearer was Francisco de Goya, a Spanish painter and engraver. The name was also borne by Spanish dictator Francisco Franco.

[B]FRANCIS[/B]
Pronounced: FRAN-sis [key]
From the Late Latin name Franciscus which meant "Frenchman". Saint Francis of Assisi, the founder of the Franciscan order of friars, was the son of a wealthy merchant who renounced his father's wealth and devoted his life to the poor. Later in his life Francis apparently received the stigmata. Another saint of this name was Saint Francis Xavier, a missionary to eastern Asia. Two other famous bearers were philosopher and scientist Francis Bacon, and explorer and admiral Sir Francis Drake. This name is occasionally used for girls.
[/QUOTE]

Hmm...Spanish dictator, stigmata bearer, scientist, explorer...and all the while meaning "Frenchman."

[B]Vogt[/B] - [QUOTE]German: occupational name for a bailiff, farm manager, or other person with supervisory authority, Middle High German voget, Late Latin vocatus, from Latin advocatus, past participle of advocare ?to call upon (to help)?. The term originally denoted someone who appeared before a court on behalf of some party not permitted to make direct representations, often an ecclesiastical body which was not supposed to have any dealings with temporal authorities.[/QUOTE]

"Supervisory authority" and helping those in need of representation...I kinda like it.

[B]Mata[/B] - [QUOTE]Portuguese and Spanish: habitational name from any of numerous places in Portugal and Spain named Mata, from mata ?wood?, ?forest?.
Catalan: topographic name from mata ?scrub?.
Hungarian: from a pet form of the personal name Máté (see Matthew). [/QUOTE]

So...a bit of "Matthew" mixed in with some wood/forestry and scrub...hmm...

So, all in all, I have quite an interesting combination of names...except for my first name, which has absolutely no meaning...curious...[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Nothing but name stealers I tells ya! >_<

Full Name: Andrew John Curtis

Andrew: (See Kurayami Oji's post) Given to me as a male version of my cousin's name, Andrea.

John: (See Wills' (Jokopoko) post) Named after my Grandfather on my father's side.

Curtis: (Given)
Pronounced: KUR-tis

From a surname which originally meant "courteous" in French.

And there you have it. I knew off hand that my first name meant 'Manly' and 'Leader of Men' from a key chain I had as a wee boy, John and Curtis I was totally clueless about.

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Well the only thing I do know is that my parents decided that instead of giving us southern names like Billy Ray they wanted us to have more standard names. So I was named Elizabeth Ann.

[INDENT][B]ELIZABETH [/B]
Usage: English, Biblical
Pronounced: ee-LIZ-a-beth
From (Elisabet), the Greek form of the Hebrew name ('Elisheva') meaning "my God is an oath" or perhaps "my God is abundance". In the New Testament this is the name of the mother of John the Baptist. It was also borne by the 12th-century Saint Elizabeth, a daughter of King Andrew II of Hungary who became a Franciscan nun and lived in poverty. It was also the name of a ruling queen of England and an empress of Russia. Famous modern bearers include the British queen Elizabeth II and actress Elizabeth Taylor.

[B]ANN [/B]
Pronounced: AN
English form of ANNE [/INDENT]

I don?t think my parents meant anything religious by it though. It?s just how they named everyone, like one of my brothers is David Samuel and another Christopher Thomas. My father really hated the southern nicknames instead of what he considered a proper name.

Though I tend to go by Beth as I?ve never cared for the nick name Liz. And almost everyone who hears Elizabeth shortens it to Liz. I absolutely loathed it as a child and would start a fight with any kid who called me Liz. Which just resulted in my getting into trouble for beating them up for it. When I was ten I announced to the whole world that from that day forward I was Beth and I would ignore anyone who called me by Elizabeth. I signed all my homework as Beth and would even ignore my parents if they called me Liz or Elizabeth.

I?ve been going by it so long that now I?ve been called Beth longer than I ever was called Elizabeth. And even though I?m an adult I still dislike Liz. I just tolerate it. Though it doesn?t pop up very often. Now pretty much the only person who calls me Elizabeth is my father. I?m so use to Beth it takes me a moment to realize that when someone asks for Elizabeth they actually mean me. [/COLOR]

[color=crimson]My name is [b]Kenneth Andrew Howell[/b].

Using Shinmaru's snazzy site it seems that Kenneth is an anglicized version of two Scottish names- [i]Coinneach[/i] which "possibly" means handsome and [i]Cinaed[/i] which means 'born of fire'. Andrew I've always been told means "manly" or "of a man" and other similar things. Howell is an anglicized form of [i]Hywel[/i] which means 'eminent'.

Fun facts: Kenneth= Famous Scottish King, Andrew= Famous Saint, Howell/Hywel= Name of Welsh King.[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][quote][SIZE=2][b]Alan[/b]

Usage: English, Scottish

Pronounced: AL-an [key]
The meaning of this name is not known for certain, though it possibly means either "little rock" or "handsome" in Breton. It was introduced to England by Bretons after the Norman invasion. Famous modern bearers include Alan Shepard, the first American in space and the fifth man to walk on the moon, and Alan Turing, a British mathematician and computer scientist.[/SIZE][/quote]

My name is Alan, which seems to imply that I'm a handsome rock. [i]Great[/i].[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[size=1]Alrighty then, my name is Philip Richard Boothman (but if you ever call me Philip then I will be forced to brain you), so let's see what it means, using Shinmaru's thingymajiggy for names:

[b]Philip:

[/b]From the Greek name [i][url="http://www.behindthename.com/support/transcribe.php?type=GR&target=P%5Eilippos"]Φιλιππος[/url] (Philippos)[/i] which means "friend of horses", composed of the elements [i][url="http://www.behindthename.com/support/transcribe.php?type=GR&target=p%5Eilos"]φιλος[/url] (philos)[/i][i][url="http://www.behindthename.com/support/transcribe.php?type=GR&target=%27ippos"]?ιππος[/url] (Hippos)[/i] "horse". Saint Philip was an apostle in the New Testament. This was also the name of an early figure in the Christian church spoken of in Acts in the New Testament. The name was borne by five kings of Spain, six kings of France, and five kings of Macedon, including Philip II the father of Alexander the Great.

[b]Richard:

[/b] Means "brave power", derived from the Germanic elements [i]ric[/i] "power, rule" and [i]hard[/i] "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain. It was borne by three kings of England including Richard the Lionheart, leader of the Third Crusade in the 12th century. Two German opera composers, Richard Wagner and Richard Strauss, have also had this name.[/size]
[size=1]
And [b]Boothman [/b]was not found in the database apparently. So my name means Brave Horse Friend. Interesting...
[/size]

[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=DarkOrchid]My name is Charlene Josephine -insert weird last name here-

[QUOTE]CHARLENE

Pronounced: shahr-LEEN, chahr-LEEN [key]

Feminine pet form of CHARLES
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]CHARLES

Usage: English, French

Pronounced: CHAHR-ulz (English), SHARL (French) [key]

From the Germanic name Karl, which was derived from a Germanic word which meant "man". However, an alternative theory states that the name is derived from the common Germanic element heri meaning "army, warrior". The most noteworthy bearer of this name was Charles the Great, commonly known as Charlemagne, a king of the Franks who came to rule over most of Europe. Several Holy Roman Emperors bore this name, as well as kings of England, France, Spain, Portugal, Sweden and Hungary. Other famous bearers include naturalist Charles Darwin who revolutionized biology with his theory of evolution, and novelist Charles Dickens who wrote such works as 'Great Expectations' and 'A Tale of Two Cities'.
[/QUOTE]

[QUOTE]JOSÉPHINE

Usage: French

Pronounced: zho-zay-FEEN [key]

French feminine form of JOSEPH. A notable bearer of this name was the first wife of Napoleon Bonaparte. [/QUOTE]

Aw, and I thought my name was unique at school, but there was a Charlene with an 'S' who graduated a year or two ago, and now there's a Charlene who was in grade nine.[/COLOR][/FONT]

Conrad is a name derived from the Germanic elements "kuon" and "rad", meaning bold counsel.

That's what Wikipedia says.

Almost every time some bastard has heard my name, the very first thing I get is 'are you Russian or something.' then the next question is 'isn't that the military word for partner ' (I guess they meant comrade >_>) Anywho, my mom only gave me the name because she'd had a friend and a boyufriend named Conrad and thought it sounded cool (a lot of people do : D ) Anywho...

'Bold counsil'. I don't know about bold... but one of my favored career paths is that of a counselor... after all I like to think I have a good understanding of the human mind... but 'Bold' is only a dream I have never met.

[size=1][color=slategray][quote name='Marsh']I've also got super pale skin. We're some silly vampires, us Clurrs.[/quote]

Damn straight! *High five*
Yeah, I'm about the only Claire in my town... well, there is a girl a few years younger than me, but I think she spells it "Clare". There are just about five billion ways to spell it. And somewhere I heard that it's a unisex name, too. But I have yet to meet a boy named Claire.
Just recently an old teacher of mine named his newborn child Claire. And what is incredibly cruel is that they gave her the middle name Annet. Oh, she's going to have hell in grade school.

Anyway. As for my surname... I have no idea where it came from. And at this point in time, I am far to lazy to go searching. All I know is that we are heavy German decendants and are a dying breed. In fact, there is only one male to carry on the family name. My little brother. O.o Weird. He had better get married and have a bunch of man babies so we spread the name around again.

If I had been born a boy, my name would have been Jet. Jet Jacobmeyer. Now, [I]that[/I] is a kickass name. Yet, Claire Jacobmeyer seems very, very plain. I'll just keep my last name, and if I have a baby boy, I can name him Jet.... so he can be the legacy I never was. :P

The only thing I really hate about my surname... is that people often confuse it to be two names. So they think my middle name is Jacob and my last name is Meyer. But I think it only requires common sence to figure this one out. Why would I include my middle name whenever someone asked me for my last name? Eh. Oh well. It's mainly librarians that I have trouble with in that department.[/color][/size]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue][B][FONT=Tahoma]My name is Molly Kate.

My first name, Molly means "sea of bitterness", "rebelliousness", and "wished for child".
When I first read what my name meant, I laughed.
I [I]am[/I] bitter, I [I]do[/I] enjoy rebelling, and my parents really wanted to have me.

My middle name, Kate means "pure" and "virginal".
Which I suppose is true, seeing as how I'm a virgin.

So, I'm a sea of pure, wished for rebelliousness.
Huzzah!!![/FONT][/B][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Interesting, most interesting.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][SIZE=1][B]GAVIN[/B]

[B]Gender:[/B] Masculine

[B]Usage:[/B] English, Scottish, Welsh

[B]Pronounced:[/B] GA-vin

Late medieval form of GAWAIN. Gawain translates to mean "white hawk".[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Mum decided she liked the sound of this name because it wasn't common, hated it for years because of that very fact. Of course when you go through nineteen years and only ever meet four other people with the same first name it gets annoying. Made my peace and eventually grew to like it after I found out girls think it's a cute name. Actually, I know a little bit more about Gavin than's there, in fact the name can be traced back to the Celtic god Gobannus or Govanon, who was the smith god.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE][SIZE=1][B]GERARD[/B]

[B]Gender:[/B] Masculine

[B]Usage:[/B] English, Dutch

[B]Pronounced:[/B] je-RAHRD

Derived from the Germanic element ger "spear" combined with hard "brave, hardy". The Normans introduced this name to Britain.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1]Dad's first name, he wanted to call me Gerry after him and given how much I'm like him it may not have been a bad idea. [/SIZE]

[quote][size=1][b]PATRICK[/b]

[b]Gender:[/b] Masculine

[b]Usage:[/b] Irish, English, French, German

[b]Pronounced:[/b] PAT-rik (English), pat-REEK (French)

From the Roman name Patricius, which meant "nobleman" in Latin. A 5th-century saint, the patron saint of Ireland, adopted this name (his birth name was Sucat). During his youth he was captured by Irish raiders and enslaved, but after six years of servitude he escaped to his home in Britain. Eventually he became a bishop and went back to Ireland as a missionary, where he succeeded in Christianising the entire country.[/size][/quote]

[SIZE=1]Took this for my Confirmation simply because I couldn't think of anything else to take, that and I had four uncles each wondering whether I'd pick one of their names. I chickened out and went with Ireland's patron saint.

As for my last name, Lee is actually the anglicised version of my family's original surname O'Laoidhigh, which has a couple of meanings but is generally accepted to be taken from the Irish for medicine because we were doctors. Anyway, that's me, the smithing god who was a nobleman doctor that carried a spear bravely.[/size]

my name is Teni
in Armenian it was a princess's name
in Farsi (Persian) it means dew or mist
in Ethiopian it means firetower
Teni is a unisex name
-- although thats the name i like.. and keeep
but my other name (yeah.. i have 2 )
Anarane , i dont think has a meaning =\
i was told it ment dead/dried river

[COLOR=DeepSkyBlue]Well my name is Crystia which is suppose to mean: Anointed, follower of Christ. Which is rather ironic as I?m an atheist who doesn?t believe in God or Christ for that matter. Though I?m not against the idea, I just don?t believe in it.

My middle name is Bella which is suppose to mean beautiful in Italian. Nothing significant there other than I suppose all mothers think their babies are beautiful. And since I was a cute kid and I?ve been told I?m pretty, it fits.

As for my last name, well that would be telling. :p[/COLOR]

This was a pretty fun thread to read through. :catgirl:

My first name [b]Gail[/b], per the keychain I received as a gift from a friend many years ago, states my name means: "Her father rejoices". Hmmm, not too sure about that. When I asked my dad why they picked my first name he said: "The hospital wouldn't let us leave with you until we gave you a name." Thanks dad. :animeangr

I do not have a second name since I'm cool like that.

My maiden name is [b]Shimura[/b]. The kanji for this can be written in different ways. The correct way to write my family's name equals the symbols for "new village".

My married name is [B]Brightbill[/b]. My hubby's family changed their name from the original Brachbiel way back when they first moved to the US. Apparently the reason behind this was to "sound more American". I believe the original family name means: "He who farms high uneven land" or something like that.

I guess that means combining my maiden and married names equals "a new farm village on high uneven land". Sheesh, that seems kind of lame. :rolleyes:

[size=1][u]First Name[/u]
[b]BROOKE[/b]
Variant of BROOK

[b]BROOK[/b]

From an English surname which denoted one who lived near a brook.

[u]Middle Name[/u]

[b]RENÉE[/b]
Usage: French
Feminine form of RENÉ

Heh. There you go. Brooke Renee. I hate my name with avengence.[/size]

[COLOR=Blue][SIZE=2][FONT=Comic Sans MS]ALANNAH

Usage: English, Irish

Pronounced: a-LAN-a [key]

Variant of ALANA. It has been influenced by the Irish term of endearment a leanbh meaning "O child". [/FONT] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

Guest otaku4Christ
[FONT=Book Antiqua][COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=3][CENTER]Hello there!
My name is Shannon.
Even though I'm a girl, the gender of the name can be either feminine or masculine and I've seen it used as either.
Shannon is of Gaelic origin.
It means "small but wise one; God's gift".
My name actually fits me perfectly. I am small (only 4 ft. 10 in. and a senior in high school) but I'm also wise (#3 in the academic ranking of my class). Plus I've always considered my life a gift from God so it works out perfectly. I also just love the sound of my name.[/CENTER][/SIZE][/COLOR][/FONT]