OtakuBoards

Name Origins

Fyxe

[SIZE=1]Well, my full name is [B]Alexander Nathan Lucking[/B].

I've always used the [B][I]"defender of men"[/I][/B] translation of [i]Alexander[/i], but I hadn't known the meaning of Nathan 'til I checked the site that Shinmaru linked to. So...

[QUOTE][I][SIZE=1]NATHAN

Usage: English, Biblical
Other Scripts: נָתָן (Hebrew)
Pronounced: NAY-than [key][/I]

Means [B][I]"giver"[/I][/B] in Hebrew. In the Old Testament this is the name of a prophet and also a son of King David. This name can also function as a short form of [I]JONATHAN[/I] or [I]NATHANAEL[/I].[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

So I'm a defender and a giver, apparently. Despite hating my first names in their entirity, I quite like them nowadays, and am quite happy to roll them out in full form when signing up to things. I kind of like them even more now that I know what they mean together, since they match eachother quite well, though it'd be even more satisfying if I had the full [I]'Nathanael'[/I] going on.

As far as [B]Lucking[/B] goes, I don't really know the meaning. It could, supposedly, be a variant of [I]'Lockett[/I]', [I]'Lovekin'[/I], the German [I]'Lueking'/'Luecking'[/I] [which seems the logical choice], [I]'Locking'[/I], or a couple of Old English words. But to be honest, I don't really care that much. My grandfather hailed from Ireland, the name's at its most 'common' in Germany, the Netherlands, and - for the UK at least - Essex, and I can't be bothered to decide which name I'd prefer for it to originate from.

Oh, and... [I]*clears throat*[/I]

[quote name='Boo][SIZE=1']Skip all the elf name generators[/SIZE][/quote]
[quote name='Marsh][SIZE=1']But how will the elves be able to respond to this thread?![/SIZE][/quote]
More importantly, [spoiler]how will Prick Wizard be able to respond to this thread? Without elf-related material, we've probably alienated him for life![/spoiler][/SIZE]

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

REBECCA. A name that has represented beauty in both the Bible and secular literature, Rebecca is as popular now as it was in the days of the Pilgrims. In the Old Testament, the bearer of the name, the wife of Isaac and mother of Jacob and Esau, was renowned for her loveliness, as was the Rebecca in Sir Walter Scott?s Ivanhoe. Then there was the haunted Rebecca in the Daphne du Maurier novel of that name, and the BECKYs Sharp and Thatcher in Vanity Fair and Tom Sawyer. While BECKY is still the most common nickname, many modern Rebeccas are becoming known as BECCA. Another variation is REBA, which has garnered a country and western flavor, thanks to megastar Reba McIntire. Trivia note: When the Native American Princess Pocahontas was baptized, she took the name Rebecca.

Yeah, my name is retarted, I really don't like it.........and it REALLY does not fit me at all! Yuck!

[quote name='Dodeca][font=verdana][size=1]More importantly, [spoiler]how will Prick Wizard be able to respond to this thread? Without elf-related material, we've probably alienated him for life![/spoiler][/size'][/font][/quote][FONT=Trebuchet MS]I think we alienated him irrevocably when we banned him, so worry not.

Well, Ikillion and Doublehex stole my first name. I didn't know all the niggly details like the etymology leading it back to [i]Yahweh,[/i] but certain family members get me a pair of these socks every year (I think they just forget they gave me the same thing every year previously) which say [i]MATTHEW, MATT: origin - Hebrew; meaning - 'gift from God' or 'gift of the Lord'[/i]. So when I say I am God's gift, I'm not just on my high horse.

I'm surprised no one's been a James yet, but that's my middle name. Behind the Name says it's Biblical, and derived from the Latin [i]Jacomus[/i] and New Testament Greek [i]Ya'aqov[/i]. In the New Testament, Saint James the Greater was John's brother and got his head cut off by Herod; James the Just was apparently the brother of Jesus, so I'm in pretty well-connected company with that one.
[quote name='Blayze][font=verdana][size=1]And Boothman was not found in the database apparently.[/font'][/size][/quote]Because it's a dumb name. I fuly intend to publish under a pseudonym when I'm internationally recognised as the next Philip K. Dick.[/font]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][COLOR=DarkGreen]Michael means godly man. Dean means valley...but its really just my mom's name with one less 'e' and 'n.' Her name is Deeann. She lacks...creativity. My last name is Frisian for "axe-man." I don't know why they had axes. Lumberjacks, warriors, axe-murderers, got me.

So I'm a holy man who lives in a valley and wields an axe. That sounds like a sweet concept for an anime character. Like a localized, medieval Wolfwood.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Well. My full name is [B]Rhiannon Leigh Lay[/B].

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]RHIANNON
Usage: Welsh, Welsh Mythology
Pronounced: hri-AN-ahn (Welsh), ree-AN-un (English), REE-an-un (English)

Derived from Old Celtic Rigantona meaning "great queen". In Welsh mythology Rhiannon was the goddess of fertility and the moon. This name is also borne by a princess in Welsh legends, the wife of Pwyll. [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

My mother decided to name me this after the Fleetwood Mac song called "Rhiannon".

[QUOTE][SIZE=1]LEIGH
Usage: English
Pronounced: LEE

From a surname derived from Old English leah or Middle English legh, which mean "meadow". [/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Leigh is the feminine version of my grandfather's name on my mother's side.

Lay was not found in the database, however, it's the only thing that my father actually had control over in my name. I don't believe there is any particular meaning to my last name, but I've also never bothered to research it. I'm perfectly fine with my first two names though. I've never met anyone else named Rhiannon. :3[/SIZE]

• 2 weeks later...
My full name is Erik Ryan Anderson.

[center][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif][size=+1]ERIK [/size][/font][/center]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Gender:[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Male[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Root: [/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif][url="http://www.zelo.com/firstnames/findresults.asp?name=ERIC"][color=#0000ff]ERIC[/color][/url]
[/font][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Origin:[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Scandinavian[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Meaning:[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Ruler of All[/font]

[center][font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif][size=+1]RYAN [/size][/font][/center]
[font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Gender:[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Male[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Origin:[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Irish[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Meaning:[/font] [font=Geneva, Arial, Helvetica, san-serif]Little King[/font]

[center] [font=Arial][size=4]ANDERSON[/size][/font][/center]
[font=verdana, geneva, helvetica][size=2][color=#000000][b]Definition:[/b] Patronymic surname meaning "son of Andrew." Andrew (man, manly) was the first of Jesus' disciples, and was a revered name in medieval times due to its church connections. St. Andrew is the patron saint of both Scotland and Russia. Many Danes, Norwegians and Swedes who emigrated to America with the last name Andersson or Anderssen, dropped the extra -S after their arrival. [/color][/size][/font]

[font=verdana, geneva, helvetica][size=2][color=#000000][b]Surname Origin:[/b] Danish, Norwegian, English, Swedish [/color][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]Well, I'll give myself one thing, my name is pretty darn consistent. Ireland is up there with all them Scandinavian places, and I suppose I'll have to be a big-time ruler, though I don't see that in my near future.[/size][/font]

[SIZE=3]Seriously, I have never met anyone else with the exact same name as mine.
Raeza. (it's pronouced Rai-zah) eek.
I completely hate it. It sounds bitter and sour. Bleh.
It's a Russian name. Funny thing though, when they were...umm, getting me my passport, when I was a wee lass, they misspelled my name.
It was suppose to be Raisa, like that Russian president's wife.
How can you turn Raisa into Raeza? Either way, I hate both of em >__<
I've had so many nicknames...my current one is Rizzle.
As in the whole fo' shizzle thing, I find it comforting ^^,lol.[/SIZE]

Guest Phaedrus
My name, Phaedrus, is of Greek origin. It was used in [u][URL=http://ccat.sas.upenn.edu/jod/texts/phaedrus.html]one of Plato's dialogues[/url][/u], and means brilliant or bright.

It was also incorrectly used in [u][url=http://www.virtualschool.edu/mon/Quality/PirsigZen/index.html]Zen and the Art of Motorcycle Maintenance[/url][/u] to mean lone wolf.

Phaedrus, as represented in [i]ZAMM[/i], is the embodiment of Robert M. Pirsig's other self, who was destroyed by shock therapy because he was deemed "insane." Phaedrus sought to find the ghost of rationality (rationality meaning what has been so entrenched in the Western mind since Aristotle as well as since the Enlightenment), as well as to define what, exactly, Quality is. In this quest Phaedrus lost his grip on our day-to-day existence, "went mad" as they say, just like Nietzsche did once.

The new man that was born from Phaedrus's destruction, the first-person narrator of [i]ZAMM[/i], is an Aristotleian (i.e., systematic, organized, and rational), and at his birth he begins trying to discover his lost self, the one called Phaedrus.

[QUOTE=Panda]This was a pretty fun thread to read through. :catgirl:

My first name [b]Gail[/b], per the keychain I received as a gift from a friend many years ago, states my name means: "Her father rejoices". Hmmm, not too sure about that. When I asked my dad why they picked my first name he said: "The hospital wouldn't let us leave with you until we gave you a name." Thanks dad. :animeangr

[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I agree. I always enjoy threads like this.

As for your name meaning... I think Gail comes from the name Abigail (That's my daughter's name) it's origin is Hebrew... and I'll shut up now aboutr that.

Okay my full name is [b]Megan Elizabeth Donnelly[/b] (because I changed it back!) Allow me to break it down for you.

My first name has two different meanings since Megan is the Irish form of Margarhet meaning Pearl or it's Celtic in origin meaning Great and Strong. My parents named me that because it was a good Irish name... I wonder how the other Megans I knew got their name. I like this name, it fits me most of the time... and if it doesn't you can always call me Meg.

My middle name came from a friend of my mom's. Elizabeth means Consecrated to God and it's origin is Hebrew. I passed the middle name on to my daughter because I like the name Elizabeth, but it sounds too formal to use all the time and Lizzie reminds me of Lizzie Borden so no thanks.

Finally my last name is Donnelly and it's Irish in origin. If I'm remembering correctly it means Brown haired Warrior. I have a whole framed paper about the origin of my last name and the family crest. And you would not believe how many people- including my friends- either misspell or misspronounce my name![/color][/font]