OtakuBoards

Last Game you bought?

Guest LilyBebeboo

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]Intriuging, most intriuging. (A year or so now and he STILL does it?)

Assuming something coming in the mail from being bought off the net is considered 'just bought' then the last thing is R-Type Final.

First off, those who know me well and even those who don't know I have a pinchant for shooters. Second to that would be FPS, then fighting games and following that would be racing games.

Anyhow, R-Type Final takes the cake as one of my favorite shooters of all time because
a.) Its cooler than your game.
b.) There are over 100 ships to unlock, and yes, fly.
3.) The level design is great and it varies depending on what you do in the previous stage. Stop an over flowing river? The next time you play the stage will be dry. Don't blow up the jets on the big flying battleship that wants to kick yours and all of humanities ***? Yeah, count on it to be there the next time.

The visuals are great. No chugs in the framerate when things get hairy, no graphical hitches, everything looks fresh. The sound is what you would expect from your garden variety shooter; *zip* *twang* *pacheew* and so on so forth.

The charm in the game however is that it's R-Type. If you know your shooters than you know that R-Type is one of the most successful shooters ever. Next to Gradius.

Anyway, I bought it off the net because, like an idiot, I sold a great game before it's time and I wanted it back.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 65
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Guest bunnielove1223
The last game I bought was Kingdom Hearts 2. I'm not supposed to buy anymore games now until after Christmas :D

[quote name='bunnielove1223']The last game I bought was Kingdom Hearts 2. I'm not supposed to buy anymore games now until after Christmas :D[/quote]
[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]Hey, bunnielove1223, do you think you could put a little more effort into your posts? Why did you buy KHII? Was it good? What's it about? Did you almost buy a different game?

Thanks,
White[/FONT][/COLOR]

Yeah, in Dagger's case, we're talking nearly $100 for a decent copy of the original VP. That's how much I sold mine for, anyway. I love offbeat RPGs and such, but even still I find myself thinking the game is kind of overrated in so-called "hardcore" circles. Sometimes I think a lot of it is simply thanks to its overall rarity.

I've not played VP2, though. Maybe sooner or later.

I guess technically the last game I bought was Dig Dug on Xbox Live... I just got it like 20 minutes ago and played a couple of games. I love old arcade games.

Beyond that, however, I picked up Shin Megami Tensei: Devil Summoner today. It just came out. I'm extremely excited about it. If anyone actually cares, I can probably post impressions for it soon. If not, I won't bother.

I also picked up Capcom Classics Mini-Mix or whatever that's called. It's a GBA cart for $20 with the NES versions of Strider, Mighty Final Fight and Bionic Commando. All are excellent games, but Capcom really took a super barebones approach with it that kind of annoys me. At least it was cheap.

[QUOTE=Charles]The last game I bought is Okami. The next game I will trade in is Okami. Overrated.
[/QUOTE]
[size=1][b]Ouch. That bad?

In any case. Last game I got was Onimusha: Dawn of Dreams. (Just got it monday..) A little too hard to beat in 3 days this time around lol. Let's see if I can give a miniview.

Story - I can't really say much. I'm horrible in describing things, so it's better if someone else explained it or you play it yourself. I'm not too far in the game, just recently got my 3rd character.

Gameplay - Your typical hack n' slash type game. (I like it) There's no long range weapon for your main character. Atleast not at the moment anyway. Added a team oni magic thing... prettiful.

Graphics - They're great! Not much to say about them really.

A.I. - Enemy A. I. is ok, but your partner's A.I. DUMB AS HELL!!!! Well, I take that back. They do attack, aggressively, to the point where they forget to block. >_> I like that they give you the option to give commands to your partner, but it shouldn't take away defense. (You have to command them to wait and recover in order for them to block.) There's another command where you can use your partner as bait, where they just dodge, but they don't attack, and they still get hit.

Only gripe so far is the partner's A.I. and the voice acting. Voice acting ranges from moderate to crap, but then again, I don't think voice acting has ever been Onimusha's strong point. Other than those, everything else is cool.[/b][/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrchid]I?ve been meaning to post again as now my most recent purchase is the first Kingdom Hearts game. I?ve had it for close to two weeks now and though I?ve tried to love it I just don?t. >_< It?s fun and I have enjoyed playing it, but I haven?t just been sucked into it as it just seems like it?s relying too much on Disney?s past popularity with characters and such.

The game play is nice and the storyline is kind of fun. So I?m not sure why I?m not totally loving it. Meh, at least I?m enjoying it enough that I don?t feel like I?ve wasted my money on it, and who knows? Once I beat it and get the second game, maybe it will be more fun than the first one. ^_^[/COLOR]

Yeah...so that'd be...Call of Duty 2 and Elder Scrolls IV: Oblivion on my recently acquired (as in this past Sunday, after a Philadelphia Phantoms game) Xbox 360.

And I couldn't be happier. The 360 is an amazing system, and Oblivion kicks the shat out of pretty much every RPG I've ever played...and probably most FPS I've played...and probably most adventure games I've played. It's not only a game. It's an [i]experience[/i], and reason enough to buy a 360. I was reluctant at first, because I was never a fan of that style of open-ended gameplay, but there's something about Oblivion that just nails you, over and over, and it still feels so, so good.

[quote name='Charles']The last game I bought is Okami. The next game I will trade in is Okami. Overrated.[/quote]
[font=arial][size=1]You make it sound like it's a bad game or something, which it's not. It got hype that nearly no game could live up to, and yes, it failed my expectations a little as well, but it was still a great game. It had unique graphics, even if it was just Viewtiful Joe's graphics done more elegantly. As both a nature lover and an artist, the game's graphics and story appealed to me. It was just the right length, the difficulty adjusts itself if you suck, etc.

I just found nothing that was wrong with the game, but it wasn't the absolute best game I've ever played either.

[quote name='Dagger']I didn't realize that Shadow of the Colossus had the same option until I had already started playing it on my 4:3 TV. Since it's a fairly short game, though, I guess I can always play it again at home if I end up really digging it. It does kind of irk me to know that I could experience the colossi in widescreen glory if I just waited a little longer, but the only other games I have on hand are Jak II and Okami, as mentioned above, and I'm not in the mood for either of them at this point.[/quote]
Didn't I mention Shadow of the Colossus when I helped you out with your TV purchase? You know, I probably didn't. Well, SOTC and Jak II look beautiful on my TV, but Okami didn't look like I thought it should.[/font][/size]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]You make it sound like it's a bad game or something, which it's not. It got hype that nearly no game could live up to, and yes, it failed my expectations a little as well, but it was still a great game. It had unique graphics, even if it was just Viewtiful Joe's graphics done more elegantly. As both a nature lover and an artist, the game's graphics and story appealed to me. It was just the right length, the difficulty adjusts itself if you suck, etc.

I just found nothing that was wrong with the game, but it wasn't the absolute best game I've ever played either.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

Hey, to each their own.

But, for the record I never said that the game is "bad." It's ho-hum. For whatever reason, Okami just doesn't click with me; once I finish it I will probably never touch it again. When I think of Okami, I think of a bunch of cool concepts than never really pan out into anything especially entertaining.

Although the game has picked up a little since I last made that post, and I really appreciate certain aspects of the game such as the witty dialogue, and bringing beauty back to a desolate world, I just find the game rather boring. Sometimes it's not exactly clear where you're supposed to go or what you're supposed to be doing. Furthermore, many of the tasks you're asked to perform appear multiple times throughout the game within a short span of time. It becomes repetitive. [spoiler]How many peoples' lost dogs do I have to find? Why do I have to keep digging underground tunnels for people? Why are there so many fetch quests? Why do I have to keep performing brush strokes for ceremonial dances? There's nothing worse than sometimes unresponsive brush strokes resulting in me having to restart an interactive cutscene either.[/spoiler]

While the brush concept is a cool idea, it just never really seems to amount to anything. Although I have encountered a clever puzzle or two, most of what you're asked to do with the brush is overly simplistic and reminiscent of a first generation DS game. Even worse, characters hit you over the head with the answers to nearly all the game's riddles, and the answers are highlighted in red; this is just during the course of the game's normal dialogue.

The game is okay and it has its moments but I'd rather just finish it and get a higher trade-in value for it while I can, unless I decide to lend it out.

[QUOTE=Charles]Hey, to each their own.

But, for the record I never said that the game is "bad." It's ho-hum. For whatever reason, Okami just doesn't click with me; once I finish it I will probably never touch it again. When I think of Okami, I think of a bunch of cool concepts than never really pan out into anything especially entertaining.

Although the game has picked up a little since I last made that post, and I really appreciate certain aspects of the game such as the witty dialogue, and bringing beauty back to a desolate world, I just find the game rather boring. Sometimes it's not exactly clear where you're supposed to go or what you're supposed to be doing. Furthermore, many of the tasks you're asked to perform appear multiple times throughout the game within a short span of time. It becomes repetitive. [spoiler]How many peoples' lost dogs do I have to find? Why do I have to keep digging underground tunnels for people? Why are there so many fetch quests? Why do I have to keep performing brush strokes for ceremonial dances? There's nothing worse than sometimes unresponsive brush strokes resulting in me having to restart an interactive cutscene either.[/spoiler]

While the brush concept is a cool idea, it just never really seems to amount to anything. Although I have encountered a clever puzzle or two, most of what you're asked to do with the brush is overly simplistic and reminiscent of a first generation DS game. Even worse, characters hit you over the head with the answers to nearly all the game's riddles, and the answers are highlighted in red; this is just during the course of the game's normal dialogue.

The game is okay and it has its moments but I'd rather just finish it and get a higher trade-in value for it while I can, unless I decide to lend it out.[/QUOTE]

[size=1][font=arial]Yes I agree with you about the red words, they made things a little too obvious. Also, I really disliked when Issun would tell you something, and then you'd talk to an important person and they'd say it again. Even better is when they make you start a conversation with someone for more information after you've already talked with them and they repeat half of what they just told you back again, I really disliked that.

There's not much of a point in knowing where exactly you need to be next, because there's usually scores of things to do in each area. The [spoiler]Canine Warriors[/spoiler] quest led you back into Kamiki Villiage for the festival. You never [i]need[/i] to do any of the minigames you mentioned more than twice, but you do have to [spoiler]fight Orochi like three times[/spoiler], which is stupid. Anyway, the gameplay was incredibly varied to the point where you're complaining about doing a minigame twice. In other games it's usually a little worse than that. In my Ratchet & Clank experience, I did not like the parts where you play as Clank, and they come up somewhat often. I mean, if you don't like [spoiler]digging tunnels[/spoiler] after the two times you have to do it, you don't ever need to do it again, however there's always the option to do it for a quick buck/yen later.

The brush command is unique, and even if you think they didn't get it right the first time, they have plenty of room to improve. I was kind of saddened, for example, that by the end of the game, you [spoiler]never get the big ice attack that Ninetails uses against you[/spoiler]. I also liked the GTA aspect of the game where you could run through a city spilling ink on and burning people if you're bored. It's a shame that they don't react much.

And yeah, just to put a penny or two into the topic, my most recent game purchase was... Okami. I'll just mention the second-recent one, Guilty Gear Isuka. It was my first GG game and I was hoping there'd be more to it, but I read later that it's basically the black sheep of the series that no one likes. Heh. I enjoy playing it with friends, since I'm not amazing at it yet (I have an innate talent for fighting games and my friends pretty much refuse to play me in Soul Calibur and Tekken now). So yeah, I never played the game by myself beyond the second day.[/size][/font]

[COLOR=RoyalBlue]Well earlier my two most recent games would have been both Star Ocean: Till the end of time and Dragon Quest VII: Journey of the Cursed King. Both of them have been very enjoyable and I?m still playing them as I?m getting close to beating both of them.

Then this month I got a DS Lite (finally!) and my first game for it was Animal Crossing: Wild World. I?ve had it for two weeks and I?m still enjoying playing it. One of the best features I think is the ability to visit a friend?s town and play at the same time. I?ve yet to get a wireless adaptor but I?m looking forward to checking out playing with people over the net.

Then just this week I picked up two more games for my DS Lite. The first one Lunar: Dragon Song I?ve yet to play, but I?m excited about it as so far every game I?ve played in the Lunar series has been great fun. But I haven?t gotten to it yet as I?ve been too caught up in my other new purchase.

And that is a purchase that I blame solely on Charles?s influence. :p Ever since I?ve seen some of the funny pictures he?s posted that use scenes from the game Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney I?ve been curious to see if the game was just as funny as the pictures he made. And now that I?ve had it for a few days I?ve been loving it. ^_^

The way the characters expressions change depending on what they are doing, to the way things are run in court to be theatrical and melodramatic just crack me up to no end. And the music for it fits it so beautifully as well.

The whole game plays as a ?we know we are melodramatic and we enjoy it? and it?s got a wonderful cheesiness and sneaky humor to back up the lack of seriousness. I was worried when the first case was so quickly done, but then the next one isn?t so quick and you realized that the short first one was only to get you acquainted with the game.

At this rate it?s definitely going to become one of my all time favorite games. ^_^[/COLOR]

[CENTER][IMG]http://www.manuelbieh.de/kram/blog_highfive.jpg[/IMG][/CENTER]

Very excellent choices there, SunfallE. Dragon Quest VIII is probably my favorite PS2 rpg. I fell in love with everything about it: the characters, the music, the throwback gameplay--it's all gravy.

But let's not kid ourselves here--Phoenix Wright is the real meat and potatoes here. Ace Attorney is definitely my favorite handheld title and I simply can't wait for the next one to release here; it's probably my most anticipated title.

I think as long as someone doesn't try to take the game too seriously, they'll find themselves having a good time. The cool thing is, that each case is actually better than the last. The quality of the cases doesn't really fluctuate; it builds steadily up until the finale, which works perfectly. Also, I agree wholeheartedly--the soundtrack is wonderful; in my opinion it's one of the best soundtracks I have heard on a handheld.

As far as length goes, the game is over twenty hours long. Some people have clocked the last case at about ten hours in length. So I hope you enjoy it all the way through; it's cool that my heavy pimping of the game on here paid off. :toothy:

Speaking of PW:AA... if I want to play it, should I buy it now? I know it became difficult to find earlier, but I guess it went back into print or something. Although I don't have a DS yet, I'm definitely going to get one in order to play the Xenosaga compilation (whenever that comes out).

~Dagger~

[quote name='Dagger']Speaking of PW:AA... if I want to play it, should I buy it now? I know it became difficult to find earlier, but I guess it went back into print or something.[/quote]

Yep, it did. I don't think you have to rush out and buy it; it should remain pretty easy to find. But, it never hurts to play it safe.

[COLOR=Navy][SIZE=1][B]The most recent game I got was Naruto: Clash of Ninja 2. (As of Sunday.) The gameplay is interesting in the beginning, and the storyline is -somwhat- unique, but it's not really a game you can play for hours at a time. And to unlock most of the good characters, you have to save up alot of points; you could be playing for hours, and still not have enough to unlock your first character. Definatly a game for someone who has lots of patience.[/B] [/SIZE] [/COLOR]

[font=arial]The last game I bought was Dead Rising. I haven't really played very much of it yet though, as my brother and sister have been hogging the Xbox.

But what I [i]have[/i] played has been great...I'm surprised someone didn't make this game sooner! I swear it's yet another idea Capcom stole from me (and probably plenty of other Dawn of the Dead fans).[/font]

• 3 weeks later...
The most recent game i bought (which wasn't so recent) was probably SSX 3 for playstation 2. I still play it, not like an everyday thing though. I like all the different characters. I play it either with myself or with my brother. Unfortunately, we are finishing our basement right now, :animeswea and wouldn't 'cha know it, that's where the ps2 is. So i haven't got to play anything for a while now because the tv and everything is unplugged. But when it's done, i'll get to play it again :D yay

Well the recent game that I bought and now has all my free time is none other then Neverwinter Nights 2.

I must say. This game is living up to everything I expected it to be and more so. So far the Single player campaign is halarious in most spots and not to mention later on [spoiler] You get to own your own castle and subjects [/Spoiler] Overall I find it is money best spent for those into Dungeons and dragons and NWN fans from the first one.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Hmmm.....let's see........the last game that I bought was Dragonball Z: Budokai Tenkaichi 2 for the playstation 2. And I have to say that i'm really liking the game. I really think that they did a really good job with this one, and i'm probably gonna keep playing for a good long time. So, yeah, that was the last game that I bought.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]The last game I got was [/COLOR] [B][URL=http://www.guitarherogame.com/]Guitar Hero II[/URL] [/B][COLOR=DarkRed].

This game is absolutely totally freaking AWESOME. It's addicting. Even my dad steals away my PS2 for hours just to play his favorite songs. O__O. I like this game alot more than the other interactive games like DDR or Karaoke Revolution (etc.) Because

[/COLOR][list]
[*]They aren't very original anymore, since the franchise has grown much larger than when it first started.
[/list]

[COLOR=DarkRed]But mostly because
[/COLOR][list]
[*]I can't play them worth crap.[/list]

[COLOR=DarkRed]But Anywho, the game is the sequel of the best-selling music game of 2005. It's basically just the same but with a few tune-ups, and add-ons. In this game, you can play over 50 different songs, buy songs, buy guitars, characters, videos, and outfits for your characters. You can name your band and go from gig to gig earning a name for yourself as well as sponsors and cash. The game offers four modes of difficulty, and they all seem pretty hard at first, but the game gets easier and much more fun as you keep playing, and you'll get used to it by then. I just got through beating Medium, and I'm about to move up to Hard....but I'm scared to, after playing less than a minute of a song and getting a terrible failure of it. O.o

I've been playing this game for about a week, and I must say. It's a [U][I][B]BUY[/B][/I][/U]. Get it. Play it. Love it. [/COLOR]

[list]
[*]Interactive
[*]Features playable characters, and different outfits for them
[*]Choose from many different guitars, and finishes for them (paints, colour, designs)
[*]Different stages and places for gigs
[*]Over 50 songs
[*]Free Bird
[*]Free Bird
[*]God, it has the song Free Bird!!!!!
[*]4 Difficulties
[*]Graphics that won't totally blow you away, but are still kick-butt
[*]FREE BIRD!!!!
[*]Total Addictive-ness
[/list]

[COLOR=DarkRed]That was a nice small list of things to look forward to in the game. The game costs a little extra because of the game and the guitar controller, but trust me. It's all worth it.

Get it.
Play it.
Love it.
Master it.
Brag about it.
Kick Your friend's *** in it.

-Nom[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
Guitar Hero 2 is the most recent game we bought... Okay, that nii-chan bought. But I played it and we play against eachother and stuff. It's fun though. Even though one of our guitars has a working whammy bar and the other doesn't... as if it's a surprize, I get stuck with the broken one... :animesigh

[COLOR=DarkRed]The latest game that I bought would have to be the Sonic Mega Collection for the PS2. However, I am busy playing Kingdom Hearts II. That would have to be the latest game that I have gotten but my friend is letting me borrow it while I let him borrow my FF9.[/COLOR]