OtakuBoards

What's your geekiest purchase?

vegeta rocker

• Replies 60
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I win this thread.[/color][/quote]

Pretty much. The only valid reason to own a copy of Wand of Gamelon is because you're an obsessive Zelda completist.

That giant Game Boy is pretty cool though.

I'd post something, but geeky purchases aren't really my specialty. Geeky knowledge is where I shine. :p

I have those Ocarina of Time action figures. You got them by pre-ordering at some places.

I have a lot of Megami Tensei related stuff. It's a video game series from Namco and later Atlus. Most of it is Japanese only, so you're stuck importing most of the things of note. Admittedly, most of this is because I run what's one of the biggest English Megaten related sites on the internet:[URL]http://www.digitaldevildb.com[/URL]

I kind of have to list all of them together for the scope to be understood. I don't know that any one of these by itself is super geeky. Altogether, yeah.

I have three sets of One Coin figures related to the series. The sets have like 6 or 7 characters in them each and they're not always very cheap. I don't do much with them, although the Jack Frost one is cute.

I have a five art books, all of which involve almost soley Kazuma Kaneko, who does most of the art for the franchise. Three of them are just collections of enemies and characters. Another one is full of full page art of his, random sketches and a lot of weird photos. The last one is hard cover and involves some of his first art for the series. All of them are fully color and pretty large. All of them are out of print and relatively hard to find, although that hardcover book I mentioned is the most recent and thus most likely to pop up somewhere.

I have three fully Japanese guide books: Persona 3, Persona World Guidebook and the Devil Summoner World Guide book. The latter two are not very common and are hard to find in the quality I have them in.

I have a full box of Devil Children TCG cards. There's like 30 packs of cards in there. I also have another full box of packs of collectors Megami Tensei cards that are made of plastic.

Games wise I have a bunch of random imports... Persona 2: Innocent Sin, Soul Hackers, Soul Hackers Limited Box, Shin Megami Tensei Nine, Devil Summoner, the original Famicom and Super Famicom games, etc. I only buy them if they're complete.

I have a few Japanese posters used to promote the games. Some random soundtracks, preview DVDs, singles and such from Japan as well.

I have random E3/game show crap related to the series as well. A lanyard with a Jack Frost emblem on it, random catalogs, official press ads (that Shinmaru sent me), ads I've pulled out of magazines.

In terms of the few English things, I have perfect copies of Persona, Persona 2,
Nocturne, DDS, DDS2, Devil Summoner, Maken X, both Demi-Kids games... Plus guides for Nocturne, Persona 2 and Devil Summoner as well. I'm missing Jack Bros. still.

I have cels from that terrible Digital Devil anime. Some of you might have seen it. I have about six of these and a handful of drawings. They're original ones from the movie and not reproductions.

The thing I probably like the most is my autographed Devil Summoner lithograph. Kazuma Kaneko signed about 250 of these at E3 2006. I have it framed on the wall.

I know I'm missing some random stuff. About the only thing I don't have related to the series is clothing. This is the only sort of thing I'm this "obessive" about. I couldn't care less about anime or manga or anything else... unless they relate to Megaten, anyway. I have other hobbies, but most of them aren't really as involved.

[quote name='Shinmaru']Pretty much. The only valid reason to own a copy of Wand of Gamelon is because you're an obsessive Zelda completist.[/quote][color=#4B0082]The best part is, I don't even own a CD-i system to play it on. (Though I wish I did. Maybe I'll look around again and see if there are any on eBay that aren't stupidly expensive.)

I actually ordered the OoT action figures from Nintendo Power, though. They used to send out those Super Power Supplies catalogs a couple times per year and I couldn't resist. I also got an OoT soundtrack.[/color]

[quote name='Sandy']Those poor figurines, still wrapped up like that! :( Free 'em, I say! Forget resale values, you're never going to sell them anyway![/quote][color=#4B0082]I might, except I can readily imagine what horrible things my brother would do to them if I left them sitting out. He already puts the Pokémon plushies on top of my monitors into obscene poses.[/color]

I own about forty manga (mostly ruroni kenshin)which i gladly display in my bookcase. I have final fantasy:advent children, which i love to watch mainly because cloud is in it :D . I own two miyazaki films that i love and four other anime dvds. I also own kingdom hearts: chain of memories, for gameboy advance, and i tottaly love it! Though ive had it for a few years now, i havn't been able to beat it! :animecry: Last but not least is my inuyasha plushie. He's just so cute!!!...
Thats all for my awesome geeky perchases for now anyways.
:catgirl:

This isn't really a purchase, it was a birthday present. But it's geeky none the less. In addition to my wonderful Chobits backpack I now also have a plushie of Chi from Chobits. Now that wouldn't be so bad except I took her to school with me and proudly displayed her in my pocket for the world to see. It's really hard to believe that i'm 18...

[QUOTE=Desbreko]
[color=#4B0082] He already puts the Pokémon plushies on top of my monitors into obscene poses.[/color][/QUOTE]

Eh, I do that to my figurine boys sometimes too. ;P It's fun, you should try it!

Too bad my figurines are too stiffy, they don't really bend to all the directions I'd like them to...

What do you say, [B]Raiyuu[/B]? How about [I]that[/I] type of photocomic? XP

[B]Morpheus[/B]: are you trying to put that humongous GameBoy down your pants or [I]what[/I] in that photo?! :/

[COLOR=DarkSlateGray][SIZE=1]Well...Considering the giant Nintendo craze was when I was really young and collecting things was the furthest thing from my mind I can't whip up some crazy collectible thing like Des. I may have my own elegance of collectibles, but suffice to say its of this generation of people. Not the stone age. XD

Either way, the geekiest purchase I've ever made was actually in the past week or so.

I HATE Yu-Gi-Oh. Hate it. Never liked it. Ever. Something about the craze always made me hate it but after seeing a card titled 'Gradius' with the 'Vic Viper' on it I easily stowed away my pride and bought it faster than Mario Andretti on a straight-away.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Sandy']How about that type of photocomic? XP[/quote][FONT=Trebuchet MS]You're going to the [b]special[/b] Hell.

And it looks to me like Morpheus is trying to put that humongous GameBoy in his trouser pocket. Because, y'know, normal GameBoys fit there, but his doesn't because, well, it's humongous. You see what thinking about [i]that[/i] type of photocomic does to your brain?[/FONT]

[QUOTE=Raiyuu][FONT=Trebuchet MS]
And it looks to me like Morpheus is trying to put that humongous GameBoy in his trouser pocket. Because, y'know, normal GameBoys fit there, but his doesn't because, well, it's humongous. You see what thinking about [i]that[/i] type of photocomic does to your brain?[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Oh, [I]pocket[/I]! Heh, me and my silly, pervy mind... XP

Yes, my mind is far beyond prepair - so far that I think I'll actually enjoy the [I]special[/I] Hell you're sending me, Rai. ;D