OtakuBoards

Bands You Love That None Of Your Friends Have Heard Of

2010DigitalBoy

I've been having a recent, but pretty small, foray into '60s-'70s prog rock, consisting mostly of King CrimsonSpooky Tooth, lol. I've barely made a dent into my ([i]maybe[/i] torrented ¬¬) King Crimson collection, because I'm going through it chronologically and each album grabs me so much that I won't move past it until I've given it a copious amount of listening XD As for Spooky Tooth, well, they're just a fantastic blues-rock band who wasn't afraid to get a little out there. Incredibly catchy songs.

And the rest of the bands (most of which are/were actually pretty popular somewhere in the underground scene, really):

-Apocalypse Hoboken (the best punk band that ever has or will exist)
-Curve (awesome shoegazer/electro-rock duo)
-Del tha Funkee Homosapien (very fun rapper. I need more hip-hop)
-The Fall (cool proto-punk band from the late '70s)
-Fugazi (post-punk perfected)
-Hum (space-rock, very accessible)
-Hüsker Dü (oh, come on. Who hasn't heard of Hüsker Dü? :P)
-Jawbox (more post-punk. Somewhat lighter in mood than Fugazi)
-Kyuss (stoner metal. Rawk on)
-Local H (about as close as you can get to un-subgenre'd rock)
-The Mighty Mighty Bosstones (ska-core. Again, rawk on)
-Morphine (2-string slide bass, drums, saxophone. Figure it out)
-Pavement (lords of '90s indie rock)
-Pere Ubu ('70s surf rock cattle-branded into art rock and dipped in toxic waste. Amazing)
-Shellac (more post-punk)
-Swervedriver (sorta shoegazer/post-grunge. Also pretty accessible)
-Tally Hall (Tally Hall~!)
-Toadies (fantastic post-grunge)
-The Velvet Underground (No doubt the name's at least crossed your ears. Commercially unsuccessful but absurdly influential '60s rock band)
-Xiu Xiu (lo-fi/ambient indie duo)

[SIZE=1]This is a band that im actually astonished that some people don't know about. Given its not exactly what everyones looking for, but they are still great.
[B]
[COLOR=SlateGray]Against Me![/COLOR][/B]

An angry political Folk/Punk band from Florida. Im sure alot of you have probably heard them, they have a few songs out on the rock against bush albums i believe.
But yes if your a fan of True Punk music, pick up Against Me!'s 'Crimes as forgiven by' EP.

[COLOR=Orange]Taster:[/COLOR]

[I]Cause baby, Im an Anarchist
'n your a Spineless Liberal
We march together
Through the eight hour day
'n held hands in the streets of Seatle
But when it came time
to throw bricks through
that Starbucks window
you Left me all alone!
All alone...[/I][/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]-Del tha Funkee Homosapien (very fun rapper. I need more hip-hop)

FUN FACT: [B]Del the Funkee Homosapien [/B] is [B]Russel [/B] on the first [B]Gorillaz [/B] album (you may know him by the song [B]Clint Eastwood [/B] - one of the few songs loved by fans of rock, rap, AND pop)

He's also one of the members of[B] Handsome Boy Modeling School [/B] who have connections to all sorts of great bands such as [B]The Mars Volta[/B].[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial][QUOTE=F.O.Y.][COLOR=DarkOrange]-Del tha Funkee Homosapien (very fun rapper. I need more hip-hop)

FUN FACT: [B]Del the Funkee Homosapien [/B] is [B]Russel [/B] on the first [B]Gorillaz [/B] album (you may know him by the song [B]Clint Eastwood [/B] - one of the few songs loved by fans of rock, rap, AND pop)

He's also one of the members of[B] Handsome Boy Modeling School [/B] who have connections to all sorts of great bands such as [B]The Mars Volta[/B].[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
He was just a guest artist on the first Handsome Boy Modeling School album, he's hardly a member. Handsome Boy Modeling School were just Dan the Automator and Prince Paul.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='John]I've been having a recent, but pretty small, foray into '60s-'70s prog rock, consisting mostly of King CrimsonSpooky Tooth, lol. I've barely made a dent into my ([i]maybe[/i'] torrented ¬¬) King Crimson collection, because I'm going through it chronologically and each album grabs me so much that I won't move past it until I've given it a copious amount of listening XD As for Spooky Tooth, well, they're just a fantastic blues-rock band who wasn't afraid to get a little out there. Incredibly catchy songs.[/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Both are fantastic. I have [I]Red, Court of the Crimson King, [/I]and [I]Starless and Bible Black[/I]. And my dad has a [B]Spooky Tooth[/B] record, but I don't remember what it is called. I know it has two indians smoking the peace pipe on the cover, and maybe something to do with [B]Crazy Horse[/B] as a guest.

Check out [B]Captain Beyond[/B]. Blues-rock with a dash of prog, please.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[QUOTE]-Apocalypse Hoboken (the best punk band that ever has or will exist)
-The Fall (cool proto-punk band from the late '70s)
-Fugazi (post-punk perfected)
-Hum (space-rock, very accessible)
-Hüsker Dü (oh, come on. Who hasn't heard of Hüsker Dü? :P)
-Kyuss (stoner metal. Rawk on)
-Local H (about as close as you can get to un-subgenre'd rock)
-Toadies (fantastic post-grunge)
-The Velvet Underground (No doubt the name's at least crossed your ears. Commercially unsuccessful but absurdly influential '60s rock band)[/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]
Oh yeah, baby, oh yeah. \m/

[B]RiflesAtRecess[/B], since you like grindcore, check out [B]Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza[/B]. Saw them live and they were insane and a half. The guitarists are so technical and fast. I really couldn't believe my eyes. Listen to the beginning of "Mad Max Beyond the Superdome", and get back to me!

[B]EDIT: 2006DigitalBoy[/B], I saw [B]Maps & Atlases[/B] today! It was one of the greatest shows ever. The only dissapointing thing: not strappin' on those acoustics for "The Ongoing Horrible". But anyway, I had no idea that someone could tap that fast [I]and[/I] sing, let alone tap and sing at the same time. Dave is one talented bastard. I'm going to see them again on Saturday. It's cool, you can be jealous.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][color=Indigo][size=1][font=Arial]
He was just a guest artist on the first Handsome Boy Modeling School album, he's hardly a member. Handsome Boy Modeling School were just Dan the Automator and Prince Paul.[/font][/size][/color][/QUOTE] And Del and Automator did their best work together in Deltron 3030 anyway. :P

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I'm surprised no one has mentioned it, I guess they're less popular than I thought...

[B]Red Sparowes[/B]: A supergroup consisting of the guitarist from [B]Isis[/B] and [B]Neurosis[/B] (sp?), Red Sparrowes is a project in lyric-less epics which for the most part are pretty damn good.

Their first Cd, [B]At the Soundless Dawn [/B] is great. It stands in the same vein as other musical rock bands, but has a very calm, relaxed vibe. The guitars are 100% brass pedal and while I'm not 100% sure what that means, I will say that none of the guitars are in shred-mode :animeswea if that makes sense. These guys are nothing all that special, but the epic nature of their tracks is what makes me love them. Also, they have a lot of unique effects reminiscent of [B]the Mars Volta [/B] but without the near-comatose length.

Their second major release, [B]Every Red Heart Shines Toward The Red Sun[/B], is good, but it's in some ways more of the same. Unless you particularly liked the first one, I wouldn't totally recommend the second.

Also, I listened to [B]Russian Circles [/B] on [B]Purevolume[/B] and they sounded great. I'm now listening to [B]Unwed Soldier [/B] and they seem to resemble Red Sparowes a lot.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Billy Shears][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]
Oh yeah, baby, oh yeah. \m/

[B]RiflesAtRecess[/B], since you like grindcore, check out [B]Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza[/B]. Saw them live and they were insane and a half. The guitarists are so technical and fast. I really couldn't believe my eyes. Listen to the beginning of "Mad Max Beyond the Superdome", and get back to me![/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[font=arial][size=1]Yes, I definitely know of The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza. I saw them play here like three years ago and I've seen them about four times since then. They're incredible, but really, they're just a more frenzied clone of Burnt By the Sun with random references to Guns N' Roses thrown in.

While we're on the subject of Grindcore, you should check out another (dead) local band, The Sawtooth Grin, who have moved on to form the cybergrind band, Cloacal Kiss. Both are pretty stellar, but so far I like the sound of The Sawtooth Grin better.

Also, The Great Redneck Hope are fun, as well. They're probably worth checking out.

What I really want you to hear are The Fall of Troy (whom I'm sure you've at least heard of already) and Hot Cross. Don't expect to find anything good by Hot Cross on MySpace or Purevolume, though. Feel free to IM me and I'll take care of you. ^_-

Another random band that I feel needs more attention (especially by some of you folks who are into Mars Volta) are The Sound of Animals Fighting. They're a supergroup of about 15 musicians from other bands who come together to make music that lies outside of what their regular bands play. Their first album was straight-up screamo and electronica, but their latest album [u]Lover, the Lord Has Left Us[/u] is a weird and beautiful mixture of diffent types of rock music put over electronica. There's also several different languages being sung in the duration of the album. I love it.[/font][/size]

[QUOTE=RiflesAtRecess][font=arial][size=1]Yes, I definitely know of The Tony Danza Tapdance Extravaganza. I saw them play here like three years ago and I've seen them about four times since then. They're incredible, but really, they're just a more frenzied clone of Burnt By the Sun with random references to Guns N' Roses thrown in.

While we're on the subject of Grindcore, you should check out another (dead) local band, The Sawtooth Grin, who have moved on to form the cybergrind band, Cloacal Kiss. Both are pretty stellar, but so far I like the sound of The Sawtooth Grin better.

Also, The Great Redneck Hope are fun, as well. They're probably worth checking out.

What I really want you to hear are The Fall of Troy (whom I'm sure you've at least heard of already) and Hot Cross. Don't expect to find anything good by Hot Cross on MySpace or Purevolume, though. Feel free to IM me and I'll take care of you. ^_-

Another random band that I feel needs more attention (especially by some of you folks who are into Mars Volta) are The Sound of Animals Fighting. They're a supergroup of about 15 musicians from other bands who come together to make music that lies outside of what their regular bands play. Their first album was straight-up screamo and electronica, but their latest album [u]Lover, the Lord Has Left Us[/u] is a weird and beautiful mixture of diffent types of rock music put over electronica. There's also several different languages being sung in the duration of the album. I love it.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][B]TDTE[/B] is good since they are just insanity. And I love the "Sweet Child o' Mine" reference.

My friend Matt knows a ton of grind bands, and I have heard him mention [B]The Sawtooth Grin[/B] before. I'll ask him a little more about it.

[B]The Fall of Troy[/B] is awesome. I like Tom Erak's voice, and he is a fantastic guitarist as well. It's cool that he can sing and scream well, unlike most people who sing and scream usually suck at one or the other (or both).

I have also heard good things about [B]the Sound of Animals Fighting[/B] from that Matt feller. Very cool name, by the way. If they are anything like [B]the Mars Volta[/B], I will like it. [B]TMV[/B] is my favorite band besides [B]the Beatles[/B]. I will check them out tonight, along with more [B]Cinemechanica[/B].[/SIZE][/COLOR] ;)

[quote name='Billy Shears][COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1]I have also heard good things about [B]the Sound of Animals Fighting[/B] from that Matt feller. Very cool name, by the way. If they are anything like [B]the Mars Volta[/B], I will like it. [B]TMV[/B] is my favorite band besides [B]the Beatles[/B]. I will check them out tonight, along with more [B]Cinemechanica[/B].[/SIZE][/COLOR'] ;)[/quote]
[font=arial][size=1]Just as a small warning thing, TSOAF sound nothing like TMV, I put them together because it's a combination of electronica, ambience, and rock music. The progressive element isn't always present in TSOAF, and none of the 10-or-so vocalists sound anything like Omar (I think he's the vocalist, anyway) of TMV. However, yeah, they're a good recommendation for anyone openminded enough to seriously love The Mars Volta, lol.[/size][/font]

I'll try to stick to bands I haven't mentioned over and over again in threads like these. :p

[b]The Murder of Rosa Luxemburg[/b]: Solid hardcore band. I'm not as into hardcore as some of you other guys, so it's nice to listen to a band that's not [i]quite[/i] as abrasive as the other hardcore bands I've heard, haha.

[b]Shining[/b]: Very cool Norwegian experimental jazz band. All I have of their work is [b]In the Kingdom of Kitsch You Will Be A Monster[/b], but it's a damn good album lol. You might enjoy some of their songs if you like the jazzier stuff on [b]Cowboy Bebop[/b] or something similar.

[b]dada[/b]: Great rock band. Again, I've only got one thing they've done, [b]Puzzle[/b], and it's a ****ing great album. Basically catchy, kickass rock from start to finish.

[b]Television[/b]: Fantastic, highly influential rock band. I'd wager that a few of you in here already know who they are and know how brilliant [b]Marquee Moon[/b] is. The title track is honestly one of the best songs I've ever heard.

[b]Burden Brothers[/b]: Vaden Todd Lewis' current band, so if you like Toadies then you should definitely check them out. [b]Buried In Your Black Heart[/b] isn't quite as good as Toadies' best, but it's a hell of a lot of fun.

[b]David McCormack and the Polaroids[/b]: Kind of surprised that Kevin hasn't already mentioned them. David McCormack is awesome. He really knows how to write a great tune and he has such variety in his music. And, really, how could you not love a guy who writes an album full of love songs with titles like "I'm Going to Execute Yr Ex-Boyfriend" and "If You Leave Me (I Will Hunt You Down and Kill You)." God damn that's love.

[quote name='Shinmaru][b]David McCormack and the Polaroids[/b']: Kind of surprised that Kevin hasn't already mentioned them.[/quote]
[font=arial][size=1]Yeah, I always forget about them. I'm a horrible #1 biggest fan ([URL=http://www.last.fm/music/David+McCormack+and+the+Polaroids]click![/URL]).

I mean, finidng their music is a lost cause anyway unless you're in our little circle, lol.

And it's good to see a hardcore band on your list, but where's the Neil Perry love?[/size][/font]

[COLOR=Lime]I love Hawk Nelson and some people at my school and some of my friends have never heard of them. It's really hard sometimes but I guess that's life and sometimes you have to go with the flow and just move foward.They are a great band and I love their song "Letters to the President" . I also like Relinet K and if any of guys heard their songs I suggest "High of 75." It's such a good song and it makes me happy to keep on going. I also like [/COLOR]

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=2][COLOR=Black]Well I think I've forgotten some that, are either: A] on hiatus; B] havent released their first record yet, or C] have stopped playing all together:

[+44] - a side project from Mark Hoppus and Travis Barker[of Blink182], their debut record, [B][U] When Your Heart Stops Beating [/B][/U] doesnt come out for at least 23 days, according to their myspace, their stuff isnt just gag songs, and punk songs anymore, it's really hard for me to define.

Blink182 - the punk band that could. they're stuff was the best, their greatest hits compliation sums their music up very well, and is my second favourite cd, what I dont understand though, is why did they stop?

Death From Above 1979 - the best synth rock / drum and bass group ever, I really liked the cover of Luno [by bloc party] out of all their songs, too bad they've finished up. =(

A Perfect Circle - I used to listen to their stuff when I was younger, I recently saw a john lennon tribute documentary, and found out that they covered the song, Imagine, for [B]eMOTIVe[/B], they're stuff is also very hard for me to define, are they metal or not?

The Prodigy - I listen to their stuff to bring me out of the low, their music is nicely fast pased, albeit some of their videos are, weird or wrong. [See [spoiler] Smack My ***** Up[/spoiler] controversy] an example of two of their weirdest videos are the videos for [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sMqT7-rVWzg]voodoo people [pendulum remix][/URL] and [URL=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LCfMIIb90p4]Hot Ride[/URL], but I find their stuff very influencal.

The Legion Of Doom - they only have two remixes, one orignal piece of work and a mashup album to their name, I like their stuff, cos they managed to take two punk rock acts [for their record incorperated] and mold those tow samples together to make good music.

that's all for now[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

Eh.. If you like funny music, anyone here could try [B]The Gothsicles[/B] . They make some interesting songs, like the one about the Contra Code, or Devastator from Transformers. One word of warning: their lead singer, Brian, sings like the squeaky voiced teenager from the Simpsons.

Good music-wise, I know of a band called [B]Apocolyptica[/B] . They're known for performing Metallica's greatest hits. The only strange thing about them is that they don't have any electric instruments. They are a string quartet and a drummer. They play so well, that most of the time, I'm unable to tell that what I'm hearing is a violin or a standup bass instead of an electric guitar.

• 2 weeks later...
Guest WaterAlchemist
I love different varieties of music. The bands I like would be familiar to people on OB but they wouldn't be familiar with people in my class because they listen to Hip Hop and RnB. I started listening to rock and even some classical as I got older. I can remember humming By The Way by the Red Hot Chilli Peppers to my self when I was 11 in class.

Leon Fury, you are not alone. I like Bloc Party too! My fav Bloc Party song of all time is "Banquet". :luv:

I really just don't get it anyway. How can people who are very into music but never heard the bands he/she adore? It happened to me before. Last year I set up a sort of discussion in my my'otaku site (btw, my my'o username is Farrah1988) : Lostprophets v Linkin Park. In the end, this shocking terror came out from the discussion... Linkin Park won. Wanna know why? :huh: All my my'o buddies have no clue who on Earth were LOSTPROPHETS! Come on! They are so damn popular in the States and how the heck they can be unknown to rock music listeners like them?!? That really scared me.

Oh, I'm NOT DONE yet! I bet my other fav bands are unknown to you guys (well, do tell if you heard few bands before):

- Interpol
- The Subways
- Dirty Pretty Things
- The Automatic
- Superskin
- Franz Ferdinand
- Fightstar

Oh wow, there's actually more! Meh, better leave my reply like this. :hippy:

[b][font=Verdana][color=blue]Edit:[/color][/font][/b]
[quote name='Shaholl]Good music-wise, I know of a band called [b]Apocolyptica[/b'] . They're known for performing Metallica's greatest hits. The only strange thing about them is that they don't have any electric instruments. They are a string quartet and a drummer. They play so well, that most of the time, I'm unable to tell that what I'm hearing is a violin or a standup bass instead of an electric guitar.[/quote]
Oh yea, Apocolyptica is awesome! Last time I heard their version of "Until It Sleeps" on the radio. Very atmospheric. :love:

[font=Verdana][color=blue]Double posting is not allowed. Please use the edit button if you'd like to add more after you submit the post.[/color][/font]
[font=Verdana][color=blue]- Petie[/color][/font]

Guest millionsknives8
sonata artica, blind gaurdian, nightwish, etc.
some of my friends listen to crap, so they never hear about any of the good music. lolz

Guest Music=Life
Bands I listen to but my friends haven't heard of:

The Academy Is...- I found a photo with Panic! At the Disco and Pete Wentz and anonomous guys in the background. Under the picture, it had stated 'The Academy Is...'. I then later found out that William Beckett (singer) had done some vocals for FOB. I then later listened to 'Almost Here'.

The Used- I was on YouTube and there were MCR videos and one of them stated 'The Used and My Chemical Romance'. I then later listened to the band. I love them! >_<

Taking Back Sunday- After commercials, Verizon commercials, I listened to TBS. I was watching that weird commercial and they had TBS's song in the background.

Blue October- I heard one of their songs. I can't remember what it was called, but I saw them on TV.

Franz Ferdinand- I fell in love with one of their songs.

[quote name='Shaholl]Good music-wise, I know of a band called [B]Apocolyptica[/B'] . They're known for performing Metallica's greatest hits. The only strange thing about them is that they don't have any electric instruments. They are a string quartet and a drummer. They play so well, that most of the time, I'm unable to tell that what I'm hearing is a violin or a standup bass instead of an electric guitar.[/quote]

[color=darkred]Don't the members of Apocolyptica play with cellos? I've never heard of them using anything else.[/color]

• 4 weeks later...
[QUOTE=2006DigitalBoy][color=DarkOrange][b]Pears & Brass[/b] - Combining blues and rock into what I would describe as [b]Tool [/b] meets [b]Wolfmother[/b], P&B is a brilliant and dark rockin 3-man band with a heaping helping of talent. The CD that I have, [b]The Indian Tower[/b], is comprised of 11 tracks, 2 being acoustic.

Most P&B songs revolve around 2 or 3 complicated riffs being played throughout the song. The guitar and bass are both quick and heavy, and the riffs are guaranteed to be stuck in your head after a few listens. A few go-around with this CD and you'll be humming them everywhere you go.

The singer has a great voice, although you can rarely understand what he's saying. I searched all over google but I couldn't find any lyrics sites with this band, but I know that one of their songs is about a graveyard outside the city where the local trees have become sick of people burrying their dead there so they use their roots to fling the bodies into the air and break them to pieces, letting the plants carry them away. Now that's cool.

The entire CD has a bluesy vibe to it especially in certain tracks. The 2 acoustic tracks are both brilliant and chillingly creepy. This CD deserves a listen from any rockers out there looking for a new, funky, great band to listen to. [/color][/QUOTE] I got ahold of this album a few days ago and am listening to it for the first time right now. I'm not even going to bother getting through the whole thing, it's pretty ****ing great and that's all there is to it. lol

If you like the bare blues rock elements of this, then I strongly recommend digging around at your local record store for an album from Spooky Tooth. They were a great band, and I wouldn't be surprised if they had some influence on these guys.