OtakuBoards

When I say New York, what do you think of?

ChibiHorsewoman

New York?

Well, I think of my family. My parents and sister have visited there, and I do admit I envy them. (But I shall have my day...)

I think of costly colleges, as well. Nonetheless, they're lovely. And such a topic leads to money-money-money-money-- because that's always what I think of on my list of fave states. *winkedy wink* Any road! I think I'll play the imagination game, now.

Streets. Walkways. Busy lights and all that jazz. Cultural diversities.

...Cotton candy? (Please, don't ask-- even I don't know.)

[SIZE=1]...But Project Runway was the first thing that blasted into my mind...[/SIZE]

Hehe, I'm a fashionistical person-- love it all. Shwah.

Guest Xxw00txX
hmm i see new york city as like a rival to were im from,philly. me an my friend dat lived dere always argue which city is better like in sports an which city is better.also i dont like ppl from new york city (jk) =D .

when u say new york, i think of a man in a sailor suit with a piece of cake climbing up the empire state building singing "New york! New york!" in a surprisingly manly opera voice, and the people in the street sing "honor the work" and then you see this really shaddy figure in the background, silently laughing at the whole scene (silently cuz they need to keep the image that they're suss and shaddy), and that person... is me

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]I haven't felt the need to do this for a while...

[color=red]The quality in this thread is dropping! The three posts above this one are all lacking in basic capitalisation [b]at least[/b]. As stated in [URL=http://www.otakuboards.com/rules.php?][u]THE RULES[/u][/URL], we at OtakuBoards like to be able to read your posts without squinting, thinking too hard or saying "whut?", and you can help us by using proper spelling, punctuation (including appropriate Caps) and grammar. Cut out the abbrev. like "u" and "ppl". Do all this stuff and then maybe our members will respect your opinion, instead of saying "yeck, n00b post" and skimming past without reading it, which is (I guarantee) what's happening now.

Shape up or ship out, bad quality posters![/color]

NB - Further poor quality posts will be deleted without warning, and offending members may be recommended for a ban. You have been warned.[/font]

[QUOTE=ChibiHorsewoman][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]A shameless knock off of the Australlia thread, I know. But bear with me please because I'm a New Yorker, but not from New York City. I'm from the Western part of the state. And well, I'm wondering what people think when they hear the word New York.

I swear I won't get offended. Really. I may just try to clear something up, but not yell. Really.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

Yay! my idea is being copied! (I feel so proud that i actually started a trend lol..) Oh and what comes to mind when i think of New York is big buildings and rats for some reason..lol

[QUOTE=Eli]New York?

I think of costly colleges, as well. Nonetheless, they're lovely.

Hehe, I'm a fashionistical person-- love it all. Shwah.[/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I'd suggest trying an upstate school since the cost of living in general is cheaper upstate than it is downstate. SUNY (State University of New York) schools are very good. I live near SUNY Brockport and was accepted to SUNY Morrisville. Actually I think I may go back and see if I can re register there if I get my VESID stuff since Morrisville is a beautiful town and near Syracuse which is right smack in the middle between my family and friends(Rochester) and my other friends (Troy)

But I got off topic now. Fredonia, Oswego and Medaille are very good. One of my cousins attends Fredonia for a design program so I think they may have what you want at a cheaper price than a downstate school.[/color][/font]

[font=tahoma]I've stuck with the CUNY system for most of my college time (I've done some transferring here and there) and i have always found them to be very accomadating when it comes to helping students with tuition fees and what not. Most of them are reasonable, especially in comparison to a lot of SUNY colleges, but then again that is probably one of the largest differences between the two categories.

I'm finding Hunter to be a very good fit for me though, located in Manhatten. [/font]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkRed]Hmmm....what do I think of when you say New York......well, I think of the word's "New York". Seriously, thats what I think of when someone say's that, and then I would look at you with a blank look on my face. So, yeah, that's what I think of when you say that. Yay for me.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I just realized something else that comes to my mind when I think of New York besides my home state, the Yankees, the Giants and the best damn pizza style ever.

That song Istanbul by They Might Be Giants. There's that line; Even old New York was once New Amsterdam. Yeah, that comes to mind when I think of the Empire state. That and the little smiling sun in our flag and on our driver's liscenses.[/color][/font]

I think of real bad, grease dripping pizza.

I also think of how it's kind of crappy that the burroughs of New York all add up to the city's population count. They're comparable to suburbs practically, which no other major city counts when doing census taking. No wonder it's considered the biggest.

[QUOTE=Generic NPC #3]I think of real bad, grease dripping pizza.

[font=tahoma]I also think of how it's kind of crappy that the burroughs of New York all add up to the city's population count. They're comparable to suburbs practically, which no other major city counts when doing census taking. No wonder it's considered the biggest.[/QUOTE]

Hm...you've been eating at the wrong places then, lol.

But in any case, this reminds me of another thing which is not only does New York (Brooklyn specifically) have the best pizza in the states, but the most diverse selection of multi-cultural foods (this one is the boroughs combined, not just brooklyn) you'll ever find. If there is another city in the states (or North America for that matter) that has a larger selection (only 1 or 2 atm come to my head) i garauntee their quality isn't as good anyway. Manhatten alone has a plethora.[/font]

[QUOTE=BKstyles]Hm...you've been eating at the wrong places then, lol.

But in any case, this reminds me of another thing which is not only does New York (Brooklyn specifically) have the best pizza in the states, but the most diverse selection of multi-cultural foods (this one is the boroughs combined, not just brooklyn) you'll ever find. If there is another city in the states (or North America for that matter) that has a larger selection (only 1 or 2 atm come to my head) i garauntee their quality isn't as good anyway. Manhatten alone has a plethora.[/font][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]I agree. I think New York in general (Not just upstate or downstate) has the best assortment of multicultural foods and stores. We're a huge melting pot. YOu can't beat this state for diversity.

And NEw York style Pizza Pwns (What does that mean exactly?) Chicago any day. Although Chicago style does beat out anything you can find in Killeen TExas.[/color][/font]

Well when I think of the city I think of Broadway, Rockefeller Center, Empire State Building, The Statue of Liberty, World Trade Center, Central Park, and the traffic. When I think of the state I think of Albany, which is where my grandparents used to live for a few years. They had a great view of the Hudson River and took me on my first ski trip at Lake Placid so I always had a good time when I went to visit. Oh and I can't forget that the Yankees and the Mets come to mind because I'm a huge baseball fan, Braves fan that is!

[SIZE=1][COLOR=SlateGray]Snow.

Lots and lots of snow.

To explain a bit, I lived off the coast of Lake Erie for about eight years, and the storms to come of that water were [i]incredible[/i] to say the least. I think that was pretty much the only part of it I liked, actually. Well, that and the easy access to Canada/Niagra Falls. I have a fascination with the Canadian accent (Yes, you all have accents) and the waterfalls are amazing.

So yes, when I hear "New York" I think Snow, Canada, Niagra Falls.

And Kingdom Bound. That festivel rocks so much, if they get the right bands to play. Plus it's in an AMUSEMENT PARK. I love amusement parks...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Can't really say that I think of much. I can only go by what I heard from my mom. Mainly being "it's a rougher place than Detroit." She told me she've been to New York. I think the Bronx, and seen some crazy things.... (sorry, I can't be specific.)

I do have a couple of questions though.

I'm looking for community colleges at the moment. (Can't afford universities at the moment) Are their any community colleges with dorms or room and board?

Any Co-op programs to help pay tuition or something?

There was something else, but I can't think of it at the moment.