OtakuBoards

Otakupedia Entries/Suggestions/Discussion thread

Charles

[quote name='Sara][color=#b0000b][size=1]Also, the board had banner/logo contests as early as 2001. The first one I recall, they simply ended up rotating through all the submissions ([b]thimoc[/b]'s MS-paint stick figure logo was the first one up), but the rotation stopped long before every submission had been featured... I only remember a couple days of different banners, but maybe Nerdsy or another oldie can confirm or deny that.[/size'][/color][/quote]

[color=deeppink]My memory of this is hazy, but I think it lasted for a week or so of a new banner a day, ending with transtic's banner as the official winner.[/color]

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[b]Transtic Nerve[/b]
[center][img]http://img530.imageshack.us/img530/2084/transticnerverj9.jpg[/img][/center]
Transtic Nerve was a regular member of these boards from the early days of V1 to the early days of V7. He originally signed up to the boards in order to teach "dubbies" a thing or two about the true, orignal Dragonball Series. His knowledge of the Dragoball universe was impressive, and this led quickly to Transtic's first position with OtakuBoards as a Dragonball forum moderator.During his time as moderator of the Dragonball forum, he made clear his preference for the original Japanese version of the show and his comtept for the funimation english translation dubs, which he was at pains to point pout were watered down significantly from the orignial. Transtic Nerve's pet peeve was the incessant rumours of a Dragonball AF series to follow on from GT, and he made a sticky thread specifically designed to tackle this issue before any more threads based on the rumour were given time to develop.

Transtic Nerve was declared the winner of OtakuBoards' first ever banner design competition, taking top honours following a banner-a-day rotation consisitng of the entires posted to the competition.

Transtic Nerve kept the Dragonball forum in tip-top shape, cracking down on the slightest hint of spam or unworthy topics. He was eventually promoted to Otaku Lounge to moderate the general discussion on the boards when he had got sick of moderating Dragonball. He saw out the rest of his time as a staff member moderating the Lounge.

Transtic Nerve was perhaps best known as OtakuBoard's first openly gay member, and for most of his active time on the boards, he had the message, "Let's get this straight...[b] [color=red]I[/color][color=orange]'[/color][color=purple]m[/color] [color=blue]n[/color][color=green]o[/color][color=yellow]t[/color][/b]." in his signature. Transtic Nerve was cited by other members, who later came out, as their inspiration. Some even went so far as to quote Transtic's iconic "Let's get this straight..." message into their signatures one they had come out.

Transtic nerve had a "take-no-nonsense" personality, and thus, he was often crude at times. He wasn't afraid fo being harsh and biting in his moderation decisions, which did alienate him from some members on the boards who felt he crossed the line. He did, however, remain a respected moderator owing to his refusal to back down in the face of his detractors.

Transtic left the boards shortly after V7 was implemented, following the loss of his mpoderating duties (owing more to a general refreshing of the staff than anything else), and a spat with PoisonTongue (he had objected to PT's attempts to psycholanalyse him) which resulted in Transtic Nerve recieving a ban warning. Following this warning, Transtic removed himself from the forums and concetrated on his MyOtaku, where he could say what he wanted without fear of being banned. He has not posted on the OtakuBoard's since.

[size=1]I actually just spoke to TN yesterday, and seems to be doing fine. He was having some log-in issues with OB, which is why he hasn't visited in a while. He seems eager and willing to visit the boards again. It should be interesting to see how he gets along with some of the more aggressive personalities we have here.

Nice article. It obviously has a few typos, but it's very thorough and informative. Not bad for a terrorist.

-Shy[/size]

[b]The Boss[/b]

[IMG]http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y181/Cybernator/ImFreakinPerfect001-1.jpg[/IMG]

[i]The Boss in all his censored glory[/i]

[size=1]On July 11, 2003, The Boss happened upon OtakuBoards while searching for information on ?Trigun ? and RPGs in general?. He posted initially under name Double_B_Diago with low quality relative to his current standards, and soon switched to ReFlux.

Under this moniker, he began carving his niche in OB as a skilled roleplayer and strong writer in the Battle Arena. His forte was rap battles (Charles claims to have started the trend), and The Boss is quick to proclaim his unsurpassed skill in the art even today. However, it was his roleplay writing that gained him much more widespread respect and pushed The Boss to become a more prominent member of the Boards. As with most writers, he struggled through his cliché-riddled prose and predictable plotlines for quite some time.

After a brief hiatus, he changed his name once more, this time to Mugen. While known as this, he continued to collaborate with other reputable RPers in the Arena. He penned several fanfictions directly related to and based upon OtakuBoards all of which received mixed reviews. All Mugen?s prose was of very narrow scope. Rarely did he stray from themes of the Far East, feudal warfare, and martial arts. Almost all RPs he created or joined had one of the three aforementioned elements, and while his writing continued to improve, it still contained his old weaknesses.

Once again, he went on a hiatus, this time slightly longer than ever before, and returned as The Boss. It was at this point he attained the height of his fame, perhaps through notoriety (or genius, depending on one?s perspective).

The Boss and Silpheedpilot (at the time AC!D!C) co-founded a clandestine organization Viva Otaku. According to The Boss, it was ?just for the betterment of the members and for quality OB posts with less allowance of n00bish behavior?. The two?s group intended to ?get people banned?, and organically merged with MAMA (Members Against Mods and Admins), another clandestine group that was formed to ?get some less-than-liked mods fired?.

These two groups seethed at the current staff for an undisclosed period of time until tensions came to a head in a notorious thread known as ?The Complaint?. Started by Silph, the thread outlined the two groups discontent with the state of affairs. The Boss came quickly to aid his right-hand man and support his argument. In the end, The Boss contests that the ad hoc group had definite impact ? two members from the merged organizations became moderators soon after "The Complaint". The two organizations' impact has been dismissed entirely by both James and Desbreko.

The Boss slipped once more into hiatus after the incident and returned only recently to the Boards (Summer 2007). He continues his efforts to start and participate in high-quality RPs, as well as expand his posting to additional areas of OtakuBoards.[/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution]In the end, The Boss contests that the ad hoc group had definite impact ? two members from the merged organizations became moderators as a direct result of his and other?s actions. It has neither been confirmed nor denied this was the case.
[/QUOTE]

[color=#808080]Which members became Moderators as a direct result of these actions? It's news to me and I'm the one who authorizes all new staff appointments.

That part might be best left out, because I don't think it's accurate. lol

MAMA proved itself to be not only obnoxious, but incoherent - in the end nobody really knew what they were fighting against or aguing for.

One of the main complaints was that a couple of Mods became staff "too quickly". Apart from the fact that most people felt this was an unfair attack on perfectly good members, I pointed out that we've had a history of members becoming Mods relatively quickly - quite a few members, dating back several years, had become Moderators not long after registering.

So ultimately I think MAMA probably ended up just embarassing itself and demonstrating that MAMA itself was the problem, not those who the group was intending to target.

I can't speak much for Viva Otaku because they didn't really seem to do anything that I can remember.[/color]

[COLOR=Indigo][QUOTE=James][color=#808080]Which members became Moderators as a direct result of these actions? It's news to me and I'm the one who authorizes all new staff appointments.

That part might be best left out, because I don't think it's accurate. lol[/color][/QUOTE]I think he's referring to Eziekel and Sandy since both of them were not mods when the Complaint thread was posted but became one shortly after that thread went up. Though they could have meant other members who became mods as well. Since there's also Blayze, Jokopoko and Ikillion who became mods around that time. Still....

I do believe that's what's known as a [I]coincidence[/I]. Instead of them getting modship due to the complaint. lol[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=indifference][COLOR=Indigo]I think he's referring to Eziekel and Sandy since both of them were not mods when the Complaint thread was posted but became one shortly after that thread went up. Though they could have meant other members who became mods as well. Since there's also Blayze, Jokopoko and Ikillion who became mods around that time. Still....

I do believe that's what's known as a [I]coincidence[/I]. Instead of them getting modship due to the complaint. lol[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

You can count me out, since I never had anything to do with either group. I did voice out my opinions at the Complaint, though.

I can't think of anybody from the groups but Zeke who became a mod after the incident, and that certainly wasn't due to her participation in MAMA (which she seems to regret, as far as I know), but her overall coolness. ;D

Anyway, I think the Complaint has it's own article already, and thus it should not "soil" the one for The Boss. That's my opinion, anyways.

[COLOR=Indigo][quote name='Sandy']You can count me out, since I never had anything to do with either group. I did voice out my opinions at the Complaint, though.[/quote]Heh, Other than Zeke I don't remember who else was even in that group. Well besides the obvious thread starter and others who replied. But people took that 'MAMA' bit out of their signatures so fast that in no time other than those who posted...I don't recall who else was a part of it. Though everyone I listed did become a mod with a few weeks of that thread being posted.

You could even counter argue that it had the opposite effect since the call for my [I]removal[/I] as a mod coincided with my promotion to Category Moderator only a few days after the thread was posted. But again, I'll argue that that's what's known as a [I]coincidence[/I]. lol[/COLOR]

[color=deeppink]Are we at 100 yet? At any rate, here's an article in celebration![/color]

[b]Otakupedia[/b]

Otakupedia is an encyclopedia that attempts to chronicle the vast history of Otakuboards. As such, it is awesome.

While the desire to create a repository of Otakuboards lore has existed for years (as early as v2), it was Charles who finally got around to making one. It started as a simple thread in Otaku Lounge, wherein the plan was to edit the initial post with the proposed entry. Fortunately, Baron Samedi quickly realized how clunky such a method would be, and suggested that the actual articles should be posted in a separate, stickied thread.

The number of articles quickly grew after that, with topics ranging from the legendary Ginnylyn to the infamous Complaint. After about a month, however, the rate of new articles quickly ground to a halt, and the suggestions thread remained dormant for months. This changed when the mighty DeadSeraphim, lord of all mortal affairs, designed an actual website in which to place the myriad articles. This helped reinvigorate interest in Otakupedia, and articles have been produced at a steady pace ever since then.

While clearly inspired by Wikipedia, Otakupedia does not operate the same way. Otakupedia is not a wiki; not everyone is allowed to edit articles on a whim. Charles handles all updates, although he has expressed the possibility of opening it to the public sometime in the future.

Even with these restrictions, Otakupedia is a much more casual encyclopedia than is the norm. Articles do not have to adhere to a neutral point of view, with Charles himself often poking fun at several members within their respective articles. Articles also do not need to cite sources, because it's just a message board, and people shouldn't take things so seriously.

As of June 21, 2007, over 100 articles have been accepted into Otakupedia.

[color=deeppink]Edit for accuracy, plskthx.

EDIT: Picture of Shift. Let's all laugh![/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink']Picture of Shift. Let's all laugh![/color][/quote][size=1]I think Shift's disturbing fascination with the Times New Roman font should be documented in the Otakupedia article about him. Does anybody still remember that industrial skin with the ew-font? Ew.[/size]

[color=#4B0082]I think it was Jokopoko and Ezekiel who were part of Viva Otaku/MAMA and then became moderators. It certainly wasn't due to the complaint thread, though. I ignored that entirely when searching for new mods to fill out the Arena's staff. And like indifference mentioned, she also got promoted around the same time, contrary to the thread calling for her dismissal, which makes it pretty obvious that neither I or James were influenced by it.[/color]

[size=1]Alright. The information was pulled from The Boss in an interview, so pardon the inaccuracy.

I didn't totally remove it, but I made it more accurate. I think it's important that The Boss' perspective (and MAMA/Viva as whole) was given a voice, false though it may be.[/size]

I just want to let everyone know that I will be doing an update this week since we've had some great contributions. I'm a little too tired to proofread and edit tonight but tomorrow the update will definitely be going up.

[size=1]In Deathknight's article, are the names "Mercenaries" and "Apocalypse" supposed to link to the same? Hm... I think I'm going to write some very important articles in the nearby future. [i]Or will I?[/i]

Time to persuade others to write an article about me. That would go too far, even for me, as narcist as I am.

*tags OtakuBoards Clone*... Why do I have the idea that I was the one who actually requested it?
[/size]

[COLOR=DimGray][FONT=Tahoma]If no one else will, I'd like to write an article about all the Canadians on OtakuBoards. Unfortunately (while I do know most of you) I do not know every Canadian OBer. If you're Canadian then PM me and I'll add you to the article. So far I have...

Myself, Chabichou, and r2vq. I'm positive there are more. Also does anyone remember the name of that website where we all posted where we lived? An article about that would be a good idea too.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]
*tags OtakuBoards Clone*... Why do I have the idea that I was the one who actually requested it?
[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]You've got a good memory?

Also, White, I believe you're talking about [URL=http://www.frappr.com/otakuboards]Frappr.[/URL] [/color]

[quote name='Nerdsy][color=deeppink]Also, White, I believe you're talking about [URL=http://www.frappr.com/otakuboards]Frappr.[/URL'] [/color][/quote][color=#007520]Oh yeah, that site... Very frighteningly, my dot is placed very accurately over my previous house. Good thing I moved a few blocks away. :3

White, I know she's no longer a member of the boards, but Godelsensei was pretty prominent around here around the time I joined, wasn't she? Either way, she's from the T Dot as well. ([size=1][i]Though, really... I don't know anyone that calls it that...[/i][/size])

-r2[/color]

So, uh, any articles this week, or do I have to start banning people at random so that we can get an article on how Charles finally lost it and joined the ranks of notable bans?

I'll start with 2007Digitalboy, so don't tempt me!

[quote name='Charles']So, uh, any articles this week, or do I have to start banning people at random so that we can get an article on how Charles finally lost it and joined the ranks of notable bans?

I'll start with 2007Digitalboy, so don't tempt me![/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Won't that make you an OB hero or something? Do I even count as a random ban? I always thought I kind of constituted one...

anywho, as for Canadians, Ziggy Stardust/Red 6/Cygnus X-1/Hedonismbot/whatever the hell his latest name was - was a very proud Canadian.

Anywho, I prolly have an article in the works right now or something >_> so don't ban me just yet.[/COLOR]