OtakuBoards

Otakupedia Entries/Suggestions/Discussion thread

Charles

[quote name='Desbreko][kuja']omg...thats such a great idea lol ;)[/kuja][/quote]

:animestun

[color=darkred]Desbreko not posting in #4B0082 = not Desbreko

And yeah, PoisonTongue needs an entry. In my two years and a bit here at OtakuBoards, he's the only thing/member that has stood out as "memorable" to me, amongst some other stuff that I can't think of right now. I might post again when I can think of them.

EDIT: Oh, oh, oh, ScirosDarkblade too.[/color]

• Replies 493
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

[font=Arial][size=2]Ooooh, I'm making claim here: The Newbie Lounge. Will edit this post shortly with the entry.

Also, perhaps we should have a request list in the first post?
[b]
EDIT:[/b]

[u][b]The Newbie Lounge[/b][/u]

The Newbie Lounge existed until November 2002, when in was shot down in a ball of flames that was largely the instigation of Charles, who was at that point a Category Moderator. It was a forum dedicated to Introduction Threads, and had been in place since Version 2. Posts in the forum did not count towards a post count [which was still in evidence at that time]; the only other forum to do the same was Suggestions and Feedback.

There have been several ?rounds? of welcomers in the Newbie Lounge. The first included Justin, jc, ssj chic and Sara. Later, groups including Mist and D_A were posting. During the last incarnation of the Newbie Lounge, posters such as Sere Tuscumbia, Lady Asphyxia, Dues Ex Machina [Now Dan L], Rain, Lalaith Ril, and Duo Maxwell to name but a few. It was the home of in-jokes that steadily evolved until new members no doubt had no clue what was going on when they were greeted with posts such as:

[quote]Originially posted by Lalaith Ril
Hey whats up! Hope you enjoy your stay! Please follow the rules! If you need help with the rules you can PM SERE TUSCUMBIA, and if you want some insane person to talk to you can PM me! (PM means Private Message by the way) If you plan on staying here I must warn you that many people are like me, insane.

Pleaing Insanity,
Bryan

P.S: Beware of Lady A...she's scary!

P.S.S: Ha I beat everyone to here![/quote]
[quote]Originally posted by Circeus

A little messed up? That's an euphemism...

For future reference, I doubt you'll get one welcome even remotely sane.

Welcome here, have a nice stay around. Need anything? PM the mods! Need help? PM the N.F.P.!

Beware the bewares, and please look out for funny smelling goudas![/quote]

[quote]Originally posted by Lady Asphyxia

*pokes her tongue out at Bryan* Meenie! I am not scary! *fwaps you over the hea with the Rolling Pin of Justice*

The N.F.P Circeus is talking about is the Newbie Forum Patrol...Sere Tuscumbia and myself. And he's right. PM me if you need help, obey the rules, and don't spam, or I'll fwap you over the head with the Rolling Pin of Justice!

*hands you a green bee*[/quote]
The title of Newbie Forum Patrol was given to Sere Tuscumbia and Lady Asphyxia in the [b][url="http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=16255&page=8&pp=15&"]Rolemodel thread[/url][/b], and the in-jokes kept on evolving. Jokes included Green Bees, rubber duckies that stole virginity, the Rolling Pin of Justice and the Frying Pan of Justice, socks and even sheep. It was a badge of honour to the N.F.P. that they posted in every thread in the Newbie Lounge, and, as they did, the posts became crazier and, co-oincidentally, spammier. Together, the two leaders in a matter of months posted over 250 times, in a forum that was relatively slow.

[u][b]The Downfall of the Newbie Lounge[/b][/u]

On the 5th of November, 2002, Charles created the [u][b][url="http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=17094&page=1&pp=15"]Down with Newbie Lounge: The Petition[/url][/b][/u] thread. Amid much controversy [including that generated by Mnemolth ? who still maintains that the Clown and Businessman analogy was misrepresented by everyone], the Newbie Forum was deleted, and with it, the last spam hub of Otakuboards. Not since has there been such intense spam activity.[/size][/font]

[QUOTE=DeadSeraphim][font=Arial][color=indigo][size=1]Enter the Net was one of (if not the) earliest OtakuBoards fan fictions, written by renowned furry Solo Tremaine. It chronicled the trivial adventures of OB members in a virtual OB world as they went about a life filled with danger, intrigue, and Junior High-esque moments, battling n00bs and exploring and stuff. Needless to say, it was pretty awesome, and everyone wanted [i]in on that[/i]. Cameos by members not related to the plot were in the high 30s, and being included in Enter the Net in even a cameo role was (and still is, among some) a badge of honour. Having two entire chapters revolving around yourself, like that handsome DeadSeraphim guy, was like ascending to Godhood. Enter the Net was that influential.

Unfortunately, influence is a double edged sword, and it soon spawned dozens of half-baked OB fan fictions by people who either liked the original concept enough to emulate it, or wanted to one up it. These ranged from serious and gritty, to silly and forgettable. To date, few OB fan fictions have been as good as the original.[/size][/color][/font][/QUOTE][COLOR=#503F86]I don't think it was the first- I seem to remember there being a few other bits and pieces before it. Although I guess it must have been one of the most prolific ^_^;

It actually sparked off intending to be a tribute to James. Lady Katana and I were discussing a present to give him and I suggested writing a story. But to get to the chapter that was specifically meant for him, I needed to write an introduction to the context, and then things just got a bit out of control and new storylines kept springing up. The original chapter I intended to do still hasn't been written yet, so officially Enter the Net is as of yet unfinished, and will probably remain so.

As much as possible I tried to keep it all-encompassing, trying to include accurate OB history and in-jokes and trying to make sure that I didn't focus too much on the Moderators alone. The last thing I wanted to do was for people to feel it was exclusive, as it was written for primarily for everyone on OB to read, and I tried to avoid setting up an Enter the Net 'clique'- a lot of subsequent stories starred almost entirely the same cast of members regardless of the plot, scenario or author.

I think [b]Bikini Bandits[/b] deserves an article, if we're having a section on Literature or OB Fan-Fiction.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS]Updated the Sticky with articles on [b]thimoc[/b] (info from Nerdsy and James), [b]Enter the Net[/b] (info from DeadSeraphim and Solo Tremaine), [b]Kill Adam[/b] (info from Shy) and [b]The Newbie Lounge[/b] (info from Lady Asphyxia).

I monkeyed around with the structure a little as well, Charles - the Digimon Forum article is now contained in an 'Old Forums' category along with the Newbie Lounge article, and I created a 'Notable Threads' category for Enter the Net and Kill Adam, with some sub-category tags for each article. Take the changes or leave them.

.:EDIT:. Just a thought, but if we do end up setting up a Wiki for this, would it be sensible to transfer the main Rules page to there? It'd make it more easily editable - and the answer to half the questions in S&F is "it just hasn't been updated on the Rules page yet".[/FONT]

[quote name='Bombu']And yeah, PoisonTongue needs an entry. In my two years and a bit here at OtakuBoards, he's the only thing/member that has stood out as "memorable" to me, amongst some other stuff that I can't think of right now. I might post again when I can think of them.[/quote]

Do you realize who that is or am I missing something in your post?

I think it's also important to point out in Kill Adam that James/Shy didn't [i]tell[/i] us what to post. I've talked to various people who think the other people involved in the project simply embellished story and character ideas given to us by James and/or Shy.

The RPG had structure, but in the sense that there were certain extremely simple objectives (such as kill ___ by the end of the chapter) and a specific post order.

I'm not sure why some took this to mean anything else, but given my experience since, I think it's worth mentioning. I don't know if anyone else was kind of frustrated by this, but considering I've participated in only 3 RPGs and I put some decent work into this one, I found myself somewhat irritated by that.

Okay, first of all, thanks for helping me update Raiyuu. There was a lot to add!

Secondly, I believe I have added everything else that has been brought up to this point. If I have missed something, someone feel free to chime in and tell me.

I've also done minor tweaks across the entire thread.

-I've added a subtitle underneath OtakupediA.

-I have provided pictures with fun captions for several "Notable Members" articles, as well as one for AE Boards.

-I expanded Safer Sephiroth's article even further, and added links to his and his cousin's profiles.

-I have changed kuja's font color to crimson. I also mentioned his original handle (thanks Nerdsy). While I was at it, I found his old avatar and included it with a caption.

-Added a bit to the Babygirl article.

-I have tweaked the AE Boards article itself to reflect [I]exactly[/I] how Rick Hunter was removed from his staff position. I came across an actual private message that James sent to Rick Hunter informing him why he was dismissed; I would like to post that for completion's sake, but I want to make sure I'm allowed. It's not necessary to post, but I think it goes a long way in showing how fairly the situation was handled.

-I linked to "Kill Adam" and posted the "Kill Adam" logo. Also, I edited out the part that complimented the RPG for having "high production values" since that doesn't make any sense unless James paid a lot of money for special effects or something. I changed these references to "excellent presentation."

-I added a small snippet to the Newbie Lounge article.

Aaaand, that's all I can think of off the top of my head.

[COLOR=deepPink]"Rick Hunter (who closely resembled Boris from "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show") had a vast knowledge of anime and could have been a significant member of OtakuBoards had he not been crazy."

I see we're not very worried about keeping a neutral point of view. : )

Did some research. thimoc's new name was Mad Acer.

Also, we really need an article on the biggest lurker in the board's history, masterfork. All I remember of him is the quote "IT TO EAT BABIES!" And I have no idea what the context was.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']Herman/Shift/whatever.[/quote]
[size=1]Coincidentally, the other day I read back to the part where he had talked to someone over IM after which he bitched on the art in the art studio. Mainly because the someone (crono) said "Say what you think about it, not what the others think about it." He obviously interpretated it as "let's just leave the constructive criticism out".[/size]

[quote name='Charles']-I linked to "Kill Adam" and posted the "Kill Adam" logo. Also, I edited out the part that complimented the RPG for having "high production values" since that doesn't make any sense unless James paid a lot of money for special effects or something. I changed these references to "excellent presentation."[/quote]
[size=1]That's perfectly fine. I always think of Kill Adam was being really cinematic nature, so I guess it slipped. At least, that's my excuse...

Anyway, I need to take issue with this statement in the Down With Newbie Lounge Article.[/size]
[quote]Amid much controversy (including that generated by Mnemolth ? who still maintains that the Clown and Businessman analogy was misrepresented by everyone), the Newbie Forum was deleted, and with it, the last spam hub of Otakuboards. [color=red]Not since has there been such intense spam activity.[/color][/quote]
[size=1]You're forgetting about the Yu Yu Hakusho forum. I'll try to come up with entries for both that and the .hack//SIGN forum, although Azurewolf would be much more qualified to handle the latter.

It feels really masturbatory to write a lot of these articles. I think I'm going to try and focus on writing about things I didn't have a lot of direct involvement in for the time being.

-Shy[/size]

[font=arial]Regarding Masterfork...I believe his title came from a comment Adam had made when he met him in New York City. Adam made some comment that Masterfork looked so intimidating and somewhere along the line the idea came around that Masterfork ate babies on the side. o_O

You'd have to ask Adam for more detail about that, but I remember the whole thing stemming from when Adam met him in person.[/font]

[color=crimson]If anyone's interested in masterfork and how he got his unusual custom title, I found this little gem hidden away in the archives of theotaku.com history. Thanks archive.org!

Note of interest: This update to theotaku.com was posted a mere day before September 11 2001.

I'll quote the entire thing because it is bloody hilarious. I think it's all made up though. If it is factual, then...wow...[/color]

[size=1][quote=Adam]A few days ago I decided to meet one of theOtaku's long time fans, a kid that goes by the name "Masterfork" (you might know him from the forums). His one wish, he told me, was to talk to the famous "Adam" in person.

Well, yesterday we met like we were supposed to. We were waiting for one another in the local Software, Etc. I got there a little early and was waiting, waiting... All I knew about what he looked like was 1) he was Russian and 2) he had on an America Eagle T-shirt.

I waited a bit, then suddenly, exploding through the doorway came a hugely ripped guy that looked maybe 6-7 feet tall. He was dripping from head to toe in an oozing substance of sorts.

"Please don't be masterfork" I kept repeating to myself. When he extended his dripping hands to me to say 'hi', I sighed and extended my own. "What's with the goo?" I asked him.

He replied in a thick Russian accent "IT TO SCARE BABIES".

I sighed again.

We then drew our attention to the local video game system (a PS2) playing some biking game. There was an 11-year old kid on a wheelchair struggling to handle its controls. "This game looks alright, how about we play it after the tike's done?" I suggested.

Within moments, masterfork lifted the 12-year old (wheelchair and all) off of the floor and rolled him out the door. "ME WANT PLAY" he roured.

At this point the guy at the counter made us leave. I kept shaking my head.

"I need to buy some stamps" I then said. So we went off to a place that sold stamps. Unfortunately the machine ripped me off about $10 (I put in a $20 and it didn't give me enough change back).

I went to the front desk to complain and the guard sympathized with me and was reaching into his pocket to give me a refund when...

"GIVE ADAM BACK MONEY NOW OR I BEAT YOU WITH PINKY AND EAT YOUR BABIES. HE IS FROM THEOBWAKU.COM, HE IS IMPORTANT PERSON."

The guard then made us leave. I didn't get my refund.

After that I suggested that we go eat. He readily agreed. "I'll pay for your food" I offered. He happily shook his head in an excited fashion. Well...

We get to the cafeteria and I buy a small wrap with a drink and a salad. I go to pay for it when I see masterfork lumbering toward me with not one, but three trays stacked with various food items. He must have had like six meals there!

"Dude, there's no way I can afford all that". Like a hurt child, he gave me a little puppy dog face, put the food down, then retreated to a corner to (presumably) shed some tears.

He eventually recovered and we sat down. "Did you bring the GB Advance with your games?" I asked.

"NO, BUT I BRING THIS". He then reached into his backpack and pulled out a portable TV and placed it right on top of the cafeteria table. He then took out a (I'm not kidding) Dreamcast system and set it up right there.

EVERYONE was staring at us.

He then took out a CD wallet filled with Russian DC bootlegs.

"Cool", I said, "What games do you have?"

He responded, "THEY ALL ONE GAME. THEY ALL SONIC. I HAVE FIFTY COPIES OF SONIC. SONIC YUM YUM."

He then put in the disk and sat staring at the intro movie. He didn't play, just kept watching the intro... THIS MY FAVORITE PART! He'd yell on occasion.

I didn't stay around, I got the hell out of there right when he started licking the scream, "SONIC YUM YUM".

The moral of the story is, people are a lot different in person than online[/quote]

[color=crimson] Now, I think
I'll give this here wiki thing a whirl... ;)

CATegory: Notable Threads.

Adam makes fun of COPPA

Adam makes fun of COPPA was a 2002 thread in which the founder of theotaku.com, Adam, poked fun at a correction letter he had received from COPPA regarding a faulty privacy policy on pokecheats.com, a site that had at the time been inactive for the better part of 2 years.

Much of the early discussion in the thread revolved around the bemusement that such a letter and booklet would be sent to the admin of a dead website. The thread picked up a whole new lease on life, however, when former supermod Kuja hijacked the thread for his own anti-OB agenda, regularly re-appearing to send snippets of the thread to his lawyers. His involvement in the COPPA thread led to his demise, for more information see Notable Members: Kuja.

The thread is noted by some old members as one of the greatest threads ever,though some members feel that this is unwarranted.

------------------------------

What's your favourite sock?
[url="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3534"]http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=3534[/url]

What's your favourite sock is a 2001 thread created in the ashes of V2 and the formative days of V3 versions of the boards history. The discussion revolved around socks, and members preferences for sock type. Some members perferred fluffy socks, while others preferred thinner types. Master O Beans only liked the ones with the red stripes at the top because they are "good for burning." Today, the socks thread would be considered spam.

The thread lives on in infamy, being resurrected in later years to demonstrate how far OtakuBoards' has evolved in terms of post quality and as a defense against letting favourites threads back inside the rules. The popluarity of the socks thread has waned in recent years, however, owing to the fact that OB now lets some favourites threads with decent discussion into the lounge. This has rednered the socks thread as an exemplary obsolete for the most part.[/color][/size]

[font=arial]Yeah, I agree. I loved Adam's entry about Masterfork - that entry should definitely be included in the actual Otakupedia, maybe with an added notation or something.

And I'd definitely request an article about Master O Beans. He started off well enough (he kinda reminded me of Charles at times), but eventually he became a total pain in the butt. It was a shame, lol.[/font]

[quote name='Lady Asphyxia][font=Arial][size=2][u][b]The Newbie Lounge[/b][/u][/size'][/font][/quote][size=1]I wonder if James has ever forgiven me for these dark ages. Especially after I posted in that thread by Charles.

[quote name='James in Charles' anti-Newbie Lounge thread][font=arial']D_A, I recommend that you actually read and interpret the comments here before you post -- all you're succeeding in doing is adding to my blood pressure. o_O[/font][/quote]...

It was fun in an odd way, though. :)[/size]

[QUOTE=Boo][size=1]I wonder if James has ever forgiven me for these dark ages. Especially after I posted in that thread by Charles.
[/size][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Meh, I don't hold grudges. People make mistakes (and I sure as hell make plenty), so it's never an issue. Onwards and upwards, I say. ~_^[/font]

[size=1]Pardon me if this has already been discussed (I searched through the thread to see if it was, but this thing has gotten massive), but are we allowed to use images, if small, in our entires to the Otakupedia. Some articles may require it. That, or should we just leave links to graphics?

[b]EDIT: I retract my question.[/b][/size]

[size=1]The thimoc entry.. didnt he end up having like a whole fleet of hackers (or was it spammers?) named after him that made OB crash for a little while? They all had similar names or something, like th1moc, I think. This was right when OB went from v2 to v3.. or v3 to v4. I forget in my old e-age =/

And as for voodookanaka, he joined in 2001. I remember cos he joined on April 1st, the fool lol, and I joined on the 30th (first and last of the month).

I suggest an entry for the [b]Juuthena phenomenon[/b]. I miss that crazy girl lol.

Edit: Des, you should restart-up that OB Picture Archive lol[/size]

[font=arial]Thimoc did recruit a few people, but I should point out that OtakuBoards never "crashed". It was also never "hacked". I think these things imply that someone got into the server or changed the code or something...but it never got that far.

If we had been bothered, it would have been possible to restore V2 and repair the damage that was done. It all stemmed from one of them having Adam's password - so while they were all performing administrator actions, they couldn't access the server.

Moreover, they weren't very smart. Using their admin powers, they could have deleted whole forums and done some very fundamentally damaging things - stuff that we would never recover from. But they didn't. I'm not quite sure why...given that their goal was to bring down OB.

In the end it was simply too much trouble to fix it all. That event was also a good excuse to move to a new software format. So really, it kind of came at the right time.

But OB has never actually been "hacked" and it's never crashed as a result of member activity. We've had various server troubles in the past, but these were more related to the demands of a large network and its growing pains (OB often suffered as a result, unfortunately).[/font]

[font=arial][size=1]There needs to be an article for Anti. Didn't he post 1000+ times in just two or three days? He was everywhere you clicked for a few months, but then he basically left, just posting here and there.

And while I have Ken's attention... XD... mind if I write something up on that [url=http://otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=7754][u]Panty Prison of the Dirty South[/u][/url] fic? that's like the only thing I remember from the old days other than Clans, which got deleted.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Generic NPC #3']There's a few I'd not mind seeing: Mnemnoth (or however that was spelled), Herman/Shift/whatever and cloricus. They're all kind of funny stories, in my opinion. The cloricus one should include the story of that weird avatar face off.[/quote]
[SIZE=1]Perhaps a mention for Mitch too? Somehow whenever I think of cloricus I also think of Mitch... they both seemed to be rather harassed by many members, but I never had trouble with either of them :p[/SIZE]

[QUOTE=Nerdsy][COLOR=deepPink]"Rick Hunter (who closely resembled Boris from "The Rocky and Bullwinkle Show") had a vast knowledge of anime and could have been a significant member of OtakuBoards had he not been crazy."

I see we're not very worried about keeping a neutral point of view. : )[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

A) He closely resembles Boris.

B) Kevin knew a hell of a lot about anime and could be a likable person at times--which is how he gained the help of many key OB members with AE Boards. Initially he had a positive impact on theOtaku.com and his vast knowledge was certainly an asset on the boards.

C) He went crazy, treated his friends like crap by abusing them day in and day out, which ultimately severed his relationship with them.

I don't make up the facts; I just report them. :cool:

[quote name='James][font=arial']And I'd definitely request an article about Master O Beans. He started off well enough (he kinda reminded me of Charles at times), [/font][/quote]

:flaming: