OtakuBoards

Ahh, the good ol' days

Riceball

[COLOR=darkred][size=2][FONT=Arial]Oh yeah... I remember those days.

Pokemon was definitely the best show when I was in 3rd grade. I remember running home just to make in time to watch Pokemon. I still have like a billion of those VHS tapes somewhere around here. I think I have the soundtrack for the 1st pokemon movie, too!

I remember when the pokemons' names were easy to remember, too. Nowadays it seems like whoever made up the season 7 (or whatever season it is) names was on crack.

I remember watching DBZ and Sailor Moon, too. And how I used to [b][i]LOVE[/i][/b] those shows. My brother and I would sometimes pretend to do that fusion thing that Goten and Trunks did.

I think I watched every show that was on Toonami when I was a little kid. XD

Ah.. good times, good times.[/FONT][/size][/COLOR]

[QUOTE=indifference][COLOR=DarkRed]I was racking my brain trying to think of the good ol days since I didn't really watch a lot of anime when I was younger, but Tale Spin, Ducktales, Darkwing Duck, Gummy Bears and Chip and Dale's rescue rangers were shows I watched every chance I got.

I just loved Darkwing Duck with his I am the terror that flaps in the night and Talespin with Don Karnage and his future victim person sayings. Those were good times I just loved watching those shows. It?s great to see them finally being released on DVD. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]And then there's me who until this year never watched anime. ;) But I still have fond memories of the cartoons you have mentioned. Darkwing was just plain awesome and totally fun to watch. Him with his out of control ego and his overactive adopted daughter.

Another great one was Pinky and the Brain. I lived for watching that show. The [I]one is a genius the other insane[/I]..the whole lyrics and personalities of both mice along with how the plan to take over the world usually fell apart was just too funny.

And in a few years I'll look back and consider Fruits Basket the good ol' days as it was the first series I really sat down and watched.

[SIZE=1]I'm of the camp that the old days really weren't that great, primarily because of how difficult it was to get anything. When I first got into anime, Borders wasn't even a popular bookstore chain and Cartoon Network didn't air anime yet. So the only contact I had with anime was through my sister's friends' old VHS tapes or random internet fansites.

Outside of Pokemon and the few other anime that got popular, getting anime merchandise (such as pins, wallscrolls, etc.) was an impossibility for me. The few televised anime back then were horribly edited, and worst of all, [I]no one else[/I] my age even knew what anime was, so I had no one else to share my hobby with. Also, my tastes have greatly changed since then, and I now cringe when I think of the series I used to love so dearly.[/SIZE]

even some more recent things have been canceled
:animesigh its as if people only want to watch the old school anime(sailormoon)
but as soon as sonething becomes origonal and good it gets canceled and were left with stupid shows :animesigh

beware spelling mistakes constant
[COLOR=Red][SIZE=1][INDENT]Beware, not using a program like word or hotmail to check for spelling errors is the road to being warned and then eventually banned as all members are expected to have clear and easy to read posts. So please work on improving your post quality as it is full of spelling errors. If you have any questions feel free to pm myself or another member of the staff. ~Aaryanna[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Ah, i remember the good old days...

I just got an e-mail the other day about all the stuff to miss about the 90's. Anyway, i used to love watching all those different shows before i even knew what anime was, like pokemon. I was obsessed with pokemon when i was in 2nd grade. That was like the coolest show. I have the yellow, blue, red, and crystal versions for gameboy... and still play them :animesmil And i still have a TON of cards, and there's no way to get rid of them because there pretty much worthless. I used to watch sailor moon and card captors a lot too. I remember watching DBZ at 6:00 (at least i think that's when it came on) on toonami. And then there's Yu-Gi-Oh. I just got into that because my brother quit on pokemon, but i have a ton of those cards too. I don't want to throw them away because i spent sooo much money buying those $4 packs that only came with 9 cards in them :animeswea and for what, just so they could get some other cool show to replace that and all of my cards would become worthless AGAIN :animeangr :animesigh oh well. I think i also remember seeing a ruroni kenshin episode or two on tv.

Man, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z were my first animes. I love Sailor Moon (Sailor Mars is the best)! I remember when I was little and I swore I would love Pokemon forever. Looking back everything just looks cheesy. But I still love 'em ^^

[quote name='Rei.A']Man, Sailor Moon and Dragon Ball Z were my first animes. I love Sailor Moon (Sailor Mars is the best)! I remember when I was little and I swore I would love Pokemon forever. Looking back everything just looks cheesy. But I still love 'em ^^[/quote]

*also likes sailor moon* cardcaptors was my first, then megaman nt warrior became my fave several years later because i liked it so much. I like sailor mercury *gets bricked* She's cool. Amazingly, i'm not a Dairian fangirl *bricked again*

• 2 weeks later...
pokemon was the first anime to grase my eyes. the show chased me away after it expanded two over 150 pokemon. i still enjoy hearing the pokemon them song and reminiscing to the past. at one point i was so decated that i bought french pokemon cards. i finally abandon the show in 2001, but got really excited when they released fire red and leaf green for gba. it was fun to remains at all the good times i had was ash misty brock and the rest of the pokemone world.

as a side note Prof. Oke. is the best. :p

Now, you want to go back to the really good old days... Voltron ;) Back before you even knew that you were watching this thing called "anime".

And yes, I remember Sailor Moon, and DBZ. And also Gundam Wing, before I had the 20-ton load of bricks that is the Gundam Multiverse dropped on my head.

Those were the informative years, what started me on the path to more anime, but I wouldn't want to go back to that time for love or money. Since then my tastes have evolved and I've found more and better shows. Today is a very exciting time for anime, and it just keeps getting better.

• 2 months later...
[FONT=Times New Roman][Color=dimgray]I was just watching Voltron earlier. (The 5:30 time slot, eastern time.) And I was thinking to myself, how did I ever get into this series? While it was good back in the day, but when watching it now, ugh, everything just seems so corny lol.

Listening to Pidge's (I think that's that kids name.) voice is really hard on the ears to. The dialogue ranges from obvious to stupid as well. I'm not going to touch the animation or action. (it is old afterall :))

But with all that being said, seeing Voltron again was pretty nice, but I can only laugh at what I saw in it back in the day.[/Color][/Font]

[quote name='BKstyles][font=tahoma]I wonder if anyone else used to watch a cool little show called [b]Pirates of Dark Water[/b']. It showed on CN for a couple of years, yet the series never finished. I loved that show...[/font][/quote][size=1]I freaking loved that show. I even remember the game for Super Nintendo. It was fun.

I really miss old Cartoon Network, though. I miss Tom and Jerry, Bugs Bunny, Wile E. Coyote, Road Runner, Elmer Fudd, Foghorn Leghorn, Porky Pig, Taz, Marvin the Martian, Secret Squirrel and Morroco Mole, Rocky and Bullwinkle, The Smurfs, The Snorks (Snorks > Spongebob), Scooby Doo (and A Pup Named Scooby Doo), Popeye, Pepe Le Peu, and all those random cartoons that never really starred any major characters.

I could go on.

My first anime hook was DragonBall Z. I think I got into it when they were originally finishing the Freiza Saga, which was fortunate because I got to see everything else from the start again (I freaking taped them because I wasn't able to get back from school in time. >_>). Began reading and semi-obsessing about it to the point where I practically knew everything about it regardless I hadn't seen nearly all the episodes or movies. Became the ruling moderator of Ye Olde DragonBall Forum that used to be here. Then my interest slowly declined after Cartoon Network finished the Cell Saga. I saw some of the Buu, but they just made it all last too long. I got into other anime besides that, but DBZ was my main fix.

[/rant][/size]

Hmmmm.....[I]Back in the day[/I].......wow, there's actually a thread like this......heh, well......

Let's see, back when I was a kid? My first anime was, well, Pokemon!! That's mainly because I didnt have Cartoon Network at that point(I didn't get it until years later.). I was restricted to Kids WB and Fox Kids, which had my second anime, Digimon. over time, there must've been others that I possibly don't remember, but....

Somehow, Cartoon Network became available on basic family cable, as I found out when I switched over to channel 32, and saw Super Saiyan Goku, in his prime, against Frieza. Since then, I was spiritually transformed.....into the Otaku I am today.

But really, the older Cartoon Network, in many ways, [B]much better[/B] than how it is now. I really miss all the old schedules, the old format, the old.......lots of things...

Ah, the memories.....

.....yup.....

I recently saw the first season of Pokemon for sale at one of my favorite anime store sites. T_T I want it! If I see it at Sakura-con, I'll probably grab it.
I have such fond memories of Pokemon... I remember when getting a GameBoy Color was a big deal, because people could finally play Red, Blue, and Yellow in color. I remember spending my allowance as soon as I got it on Pokemon trading cards. I remember my brother getting kids to trade him their first edition Pokemon cards (even back then, he was a businessman XP). I remember buying the Pokemon and Pokemon movie soundtracks and [i]constantly[/i] listening to them, over and over. I too memorized the Poke Rap. Ahhh, those were the days...
And then, I remember hearing the [i]new[/i] Pokemon voice actors, and it made me want to watch the first season all over again, just to remember Pokemon in its golden years!

Other than Pokemon, I also remember Digimon. I didn't really start watching the first season until maybe halfway through; I was more into the second season really. Then after that the Digimon shows got a little weird; but hey, at least they tried something different with each show. They deserve credit for that.

Then of course there's DBZ. All my siblings would watch it! I remember when Toonami would announce new episodes, something like, "160 new episodes!" Always thought it was a lot, but then it would be over in no time. XP

Man, so many shows. Name almost any cartoon that was on CN, Disney or Nickelodeon in the later half of the 90's and I can remember watching it. But mostly, I remember teh Pokemon. :ball: