OtakuBoards

Who disagrees with drinking and drugs?

Guest NIKI12345

Guest Ocha
I completely agree. Drinking, drugs, smoking, any of that I persoanally think is disgusting. A lot of people at my school drink and I see how they act....not good.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 174
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='50 cent']Marijuana I'm not against, because I myself am a casual smoker of it. I do know people who may smoke it 3 times a day but it hasn't ruined their life and they've done it for years.[/QUOTE]

Then you've been extremely lucky. My brother smoked Marijuana regularly when I was a child and one time, just one time, he was given a joint laced with PCP. He's never been the same since. I'm not saying that marijuana is bad...I agree, it does have potential health benefits, but with the way it's done illegally now (as well as with other drugs), you just can't always be sure that what you're getting doesn't have something else in it that can kill ya, or ruin your mind forever.

Karin

[quote name='KenshinSorrow']My brother smoked Marijuana regularly when I was a child and one time, just one time, he was given a joint laced with PCP. He's never been the same since.[/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]A close friend of mine recently smoked PCP-laced pot. Scared the hell out of him. I don't think, however, that it scared him anywhere near enough for him to stop smoking all together.

Personally, I believe that if a drug is not [B]physically[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]addictive, and has very minimal negative effects on the body, then it is perfectly fine for me to use.

Case in point, I am an avid fan of [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan#Recreational_use"][B]Robotripping[/B][/URL] (getting high off of cough syrup - sounds lame, I know, but that's only because you've never tried it), and I will be trying [B]ecstasy[/B] for the first time in the near future.

Now, does this make me a bad person? That's your opinion.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Hmmm....I understand what you mean about the cough syrup, tho I manage to get high off of it every time I get sick. And I hate the feeling--due to personal issues, I don't like the out of control feeling that I get when a drug affects me. But that's just me.

As for whether that makes you a bad person...I've learned over the years not to judge people as good or bad. The world is filled with too many shades of gray, and good people are known to do bad things, and visa-versa. And some people behave in ways that hurt simply because it's the only life and behavior they know.

Personally, even tho I don't like drugs and what they do to myself and others, I think too many look at chemical drugs as the only addiction. (I think someone else here pointed this out.)

I know for a fact that in the past (and probably will again) I've used video games, books, TV, daydreams, sleep, and sometimes food as an escape avenue when life gets hard or even worse, unbearable. IMO, that's not too different from the reason many people use drugs...to escape the stress, sorrows, pains, and limitations of every day life.

It's when any of this is done to extremes, or hurts others or yourself, that one needs to re-evaluate, I think. Sometimes the hardest thing of all to do, is to take a good long look at yourself, when it feels a lot more comfortable just to hide away in the pleasures of whatever is your drug (and I don't just mean chemical) of choice.

Karin

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I take nasal spray for my congestion, whch is horrible btw. I OD sometimes, taking more than the ammount stated on the box, however, it doesn't effect me at all. Here's a little hint, never take a pillfor congestion and then a pll for alergies at thesame tieme, you'll feel lke your slippin into a dream world. Not high, just sleepy.

My mother thinks marijuana is not as bad as alcohol. This comming from a beer drinker! XD And I think the same. Don't ask why, my mind said so. I follow my instincts.[/COLOR]

[quote name='KenshinSorrow']I understand what you mean about the cough syrup, tho I manage to get high off of it every time I get sick.[/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen] I highly doubt that. More than likely the effects of a high fever, or if you use a brand with alcohol in it.

In order for one to get high off of the active ingredient in cough syrup ([B]dextromethorphan hydrobromide[/B]), they would have to consume approximately [B]2/3[/B] [B]of a cup[/B] of medicine well under the course of [B]three hours[/B], the average container of cough syrup being just barely over[B] a cup[/B].

So unless your intentions are to specifically abuse an OTC product, [I]or[/I] you grossly misread the directions, I seriously doubt that you "get high" every time you're sick.

(Thanks for not thinking I'm a bad person, by the way)[/COLOR][/SIZE]

Well, it could be because when I tend to get sick with colds, I often--due to ear problems--get vertigo really bad. Just two Decembers ago it was so bad that I had hearing loss from ear infections and if I moved even slightly, I got motion-sick real bad. So, if you put that together with the slightly dizzy, sleepy feeling I get from cough syrup, and that's enough for me to maybe feel like I'm high.

I think sometimes too, I might be more sensitive to some medicines--I still remember when I was taking driver's ed, and took a benadryl with decongestant, and wow, I was so giggly and stuff it was crazy. Only later did I find out that I'm unusual in the benadryl makes me hyper, and not sleepy, lol.

As for abuse the OTC, heck no. My mom is always pestering me when I'm sick, "Have you taken your medicine?" Usually the answer is no, lol. That's probably something to do with me growing up and being frequently sick of taking Sudafed and antibotics all the time. :)

And no prob on the not thinking you're a bad person. I grew up in a family full of multiple types of abuse. To work through that, I had to learn to accept people for who they are, including myself, and accept them, faults, shortcomings, limitations, and all.

Karin :)

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]You might be getting buzzed off of it, but you definitely are not getting high.

I prefer to take lower, more recreational doses of Dextromethorphan (around [B]12-16[/B] gel capsules at once - you aren't supposed to exceed [B]8[/B] in a 24 hour period... ha!). At this level, I reach an upper first, lower second "plateau" high.

The effects are extraordinary... I become completely at peace with the world. My body weighs 10 pounds, and my head feels like a [B]snow globe[/B]. All of my senses become incredibly [U]enhanced[/U], specifically vision and hearing, with touch, taste, and smell not far behind.

One's sense of time becomes completely nonexistent (it is impossible to judge the passing of time, and occasionally, time itself [B]loses all meaning[/B]). Since one feels as if he is weightless, jumping and dancing about become extremely enjoyable activities, as it takes [B]forever[/B] to reach the ground (or at least it seems so).

Inertia becomes exceptionally strong, since once you start moving, your body wants to continue moving in the same direction forever (although you [U]can[/U] control this). Conversations have a much greater, deeper, and more [B]personal[/B] meaning when on DXM. Your ability to focus on what is being said [B]far surpasses[/B] that of your sober self. Also, your thoughts become as clear as crystal; you know [U]exactly[/U] what you want to say and how to say it... no having to organize your thoughts. You can empathize out the wazzoo with people (because you [B]literally know[/B] how they feel).

The effects generally last 6 to 8 hours.

The real kicker is not only are you able to remember [B]absolutely everything[/B] the next day, but [U][B]you are in total control during the entire event[/B][/U]. Try seeing a drunk person do that.

Now, [U]how else would one be able to experience such amazing occurrences if it were not for recreational drug use[/U]?[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Lethargy;788866][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Personally, I believe that if a drug is not [B]physically[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE] [SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]addictive, and has very minimal negative effects on the body, then it is perfectly fine for me to use.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]Not being physically addictive doesn't mean it's safe. A little research will show that.[quote name='Lethargy;788866][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Case in point, I am an avid fan of [URL="http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dextromethorphan#Recreational_use"][B]Robotripping[/B][/URL] (getting high off of cough syrup - sounds lame, I know, but that's only because you've never tried it)[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]No your first statement was correct, it is lame. I don't need to try it to know that.[QUOTE=Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I prefer to take lower, more recreational doses of Dextromethorphan (around [B]12-16[/B] gel capsules at once - you aren't supposed to exceed [B]8[/B] in a 24 hour period... ha!). [/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]As for my whole point in responding in the first place. Don't forget to mention that if someone is taking other drugs such as monoamine oxidase inhibitors or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, taking Dextromethorphan at the same time can cause Serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening adverse drug reaction that results from intentional self-poisoning, therapeutic drug use, or inadvertent interactions between drugs which cause an excess of serotonergic activity.

So taking something like this especially if you are on something else isn't very bright nor is it as amazing as you think. Drugs have a recommended dose for a reason, and you or anyone else who would take it in this manner would do well to remember that. Just as you had a good trip with it, I've seen people land themselves in the emergency room from the same trip as well.[/FONT][/COLOR]

Catgirl08 -

You kinda.. brought this thread back to life. Um, I kinda want to bring that to a moderator's attention.

Anyway, I'll pretend that I haven't posted in this thread yet (but I have with my other user-name).

Drugs aren't bad if used for a good purpose (to reduce pain, or anything such as that). Because would you rather sit there in pain, or take a drug that would help you through it all? I think the answers pretty obvious. Because I wouldn't want to go through more pain than I would have to.
I'm almost sure that everyone would agree with this, because if you would go through surgery without some pain killers, then not only are you a beast, but you have some pain tolerance.

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Well, well... It seems as if someone has done a little reading.

Now, I shall commence with the ritualistic dissection of the reply.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Not being physically addictive doesn't mean it's safe. A little research will show that.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]If you note the quote of mine to which you are referring, I took specific care to mention, "[B]and has very minimal negative effects on the body.[/B]" I would [U]never[/U] use a substance if it would cause significant bodily harm to [U]myself[/U], or endanger the lives of [U]others[/U], even if it did have little to no chance for addiction. And believe me, I've done enough research for ten people.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]No your first statement was correct, it is lame. I don't need to try it to know that.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Thank you for validating my statement. I know you are entitled to your own opinion, but I am also entitled to mine (mine being based on [B]firsthand[/B] knowledge). I have known five different people who have done tussin, both [B]pre-dextromethorphan[/B] use and [B]post-DXM use[/B]. All five of them, before using DXM thought the idea of abusing cough medicine for the purpose of getting high was the most [U]ridiculous[/U] thing they had ever heard. However, once they all finally took it, their views [U]did a complete turnaround[/U]. Even [I]I[/I] thought it was a ludicrous activity before I used it (I used to be [U][B]strongly opposed[/B][/U] to drug use of [I][U]any kind[/U][/I]).

Also, [B]SunfallE[/B], I was wondering, [B]do you consume alcohol, caffeine, or use tobacco products?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]As for my whole point in responding in the first place. Don't forget to mention that if someone is taking other drugs such as monoamine oxidase inhibitors or selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, taking Dextromethorphan at the same time can cause Serotonin syndrome, a potentially life-threatening adverse drug reaction that results from intentional self-poisoning, therapeutic drug use, or inadvertent interactions between drugs which cause an excess of serotonergic activity. [/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I am fully aware that ingesting large quantities of medicines containing dextromethorphan while on MAOI's is [B]incredibly dangerous[/B], as well as with SSRI's, or any other form of anti-depressant. I know that taking cough syrup with [B]guaifenesin[/B] will make you puke your guts out, and drinking cough syrup with [B]acetaminophen[/B] (paracetamol, better known as [B]Tylenol[/B]) will kill your liver and eventually kill you as well. Any active ingredients other than [B]dextromethorphan HBr[/B] are a big "no-no." Serotonin syndrome is no news to me, and also, you should never use any drug recreationally if you are not in good health (I'm sorry, but if you've got [B]diabetes[/B], you're out of the club -- all the sugars in the inactive ingredients can't be too great for you).

I am no ordinary drug user. I am well-informed and well-educated in the realm of medicine. I would never even consider doing a drug without first having done [U]extensive research[/U] on the subject using a wide variety of [U][B]credible[/B][/U] sources (Wikipedia being the [U][B]least credible[/B][/U] of them all).[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS] So taking something like this especially if you are on something else isn't very bright nor is it as amazing as you think.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Where exactly did I say, "[B]Hey, everyone: let's see who can come up with the wackiest drug concoction![/B]", or that mixing drugs is smart, OR that mixing drugs is amazing?

I didn't. As I have already said, mixing drugs is [B]quantitatively[/B] [B]far more unintelligent[/B] than blindly doing individual drugs in the first place.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Drugs have a recommended dose for a reason, and you or anyone else who would take it in this manner would do well to remember that. Just as you had a good trip with it, I've seen people land themselves in the emergency room from the same trip as well.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I agree. Drugs do have a recommended dose [B]for a reason[/B], however, the keyword here is "[B][U]recommended[/U][/B]." Abusing any drug has inherent risks, but some people are willing to take those risks in order to have a good time (dextromethorphan being one of the few drugs with [I]very few[/I] [U]natural[/U] risks). For those who do not want to experience the recreational effects of cough syrup, strictly follow the warning labels.

You said "[B]Just as you had [U]a[/U] good trip[/B]" as if I've only done this once. You may find it as a surprise (sarcasm), but I am no amateur at this activity.

Also, I take it you're no amateur when it comes to hanging out with recreational drug users, seeing as how you've "[B]seen people land themselves in the emergency room.[/B]" Now, I understand that you are just trying to [B]give fair warning[/B], but so am I. I believe that the best way to arm yourself is with information (and not just the negative aspects). Therefore, [U][B]I do not recommend taking dextromethorphan to anyone who does not first know all the risks involved[/B][/U] (though few). However, if you are going to use or abuse any type of drug, please do so [U]responsibly[/U] and [U]intelligently[/U] (and I just know someone is going to make the counterpoint that abusing drugs is neither responsible, nor intelligent -- go ahead).

Tag, you're it.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Lethargy;788885][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Tag, you're it.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]Very well then. It's more fun to discuss it when people are polite and don't instantly go off on the tangent of how dare you disagree! ^_~[quote name='Lethargy;788885][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]If you note the quote of mine to which you are referring, I took specific care to mention, "[B]and has very minimal negative effects on the body.[/B]" I would [U]never[/U] use a substance if it would cause significant bodily harm to [U]myself[/U], or endanger the lives of [U]others[/U], even if it did have little to no chance for addiction. And believe me, I've done enough research for ten people.[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]Glad to hear because honestly I've had my fair share of friends who can't seem to grasp that concept, that just because the trip is fun, doesn't mean it isn't potentially dangerous. And if it affects their friends their attitude is too bad. So if you've got that mindset, all the better.[QUOTE=Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Thank you for validating my statement. I know you are entitled to your own opinion, but I am also entitled to mine (mine being based on [B]firsthand[/B] knowledge). I have known five different people who have done tussin, both [B]pre-dextromethorphan[/B] use and [B]post-DXM use[/B]. All five of them, before using DXM thought the idea of abusing cough medicine for the purpose of getting high was the most [U]ridiculous[/U] thing they had ever heard. However, once they all finally took it, their views [U]did a complete turnaround[/U]. Even [I]I[/I] thought it was a ludicrous activity before I used it (I used to be [U][B]strongly opposed[/B][/U] to drug use of [I][U]any kind[/U][/I]).

Also, [B]SunfallE[/B], I was wondering, [B]do you consume alcohol, caffeine, or use tobacco products?[/B][/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]Of course and I still think it's lame. Personal opinion really and though I've never used over the counter stuff, or rather I've never used it in a manner to get high, I've been sick enough to be put on a heavy dose of prescription stuff that had me all loopy and such and I loathed it. Over the counter cough syrup doesn't even come close to some of the prescription stuff. So I've no desire to take that further. I hate that disconnected feeling that it gives you.

As for what I consume. lol I use alcohol for cooking though I do not drink, why? I lost a brother to a drunk driver and that sort of killed any interest in actually consuming it. That and the damn stuff smells like garbage. It's hard to drink something that makes you gag. I do drink soda and thus get caffeine, but I have allergies to varies pollutants and that includes most tobacco products, second hand smoke clobbers my allergies. So I don't smoke either. [quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I am fully aware that ingesting large quantities of medicines containing dextromethorphan while on MAOI's is [B]incredibly dangerous[/B], as well as with SSRI's, or any other form of anti-depressant. I know that taking cough syrup with [B]guaifenesin[/B] will make you puke your guts out, and drinking cough syrup with [B]acetaminophen[/B] (paracetamol, better known as [B]Tylenol[/B]) will kill your liver and eventually kill you as well. Any active ingredients other than [B]dextromethorphan HBr[/B] are a big "no-no." Serotonin syndrome is no news to me, and also, you should never use any drug recreationally if you are not in good health (I'm sorry, but if you've got [B]diabetes[/B], you're out of the club -- all the sugars in the inactive ingredients can't be too great for you).

I am no ordinary drug user. I am well-informed and well-educated in the realm of medicine. I would never even consider doing a drug without first having done [U]extensive research[/U] on the subject using a wide variety of [U][B]credible[/B][/U] sources (Wikipedia being the [U][B]least credible[/B][/U] of them all).[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]That's the thing, most kids don't know that, they see someone talking about how cool it is and go and try it without bothering to do any form of research at all. And what happens? They do land themselves in the hospital. Also, even if you have done research, there's no comparison to someone who truly is educated in the field of medicine, so it is still a risk in the end. Perhaps not as great as one with the more hard substances, but still a risk. Research does not replace an extensive medical education and that too is something people don't think about. Though I'm sure your doctor isn't going to tell you the safest way to get high on otc drugs. lol[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Where exactly did I say, "[B]Hey, everyone: let's see who can come up with the wackiest drug concoction![/B]", or that mixing drugs is smart, OR that mixing drugs is amazing?

I didn't. As I have already said, mixing drugs is [B]quantitatively[/B] [B]far more unintelligent[/B] than blindly doing individual drugs in the first place.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]Actually you simply described what you did without any waring whatsoever as to the potential dangers. ^_~ I was reminding you that you were on the slant of how amazing they were and yet leaving out the other stuff. [quote name='Lethargy;788885][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]You said "[B]Just as you had [U]a[/U] good trip[/B]" as if I've only done this once. You may find it as a surprise (sarcasm), but I am no amateur at this activity.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]You've misunderstood the point. Each trip per se is just that a trip. It wasn't meant to imply that you had only one. So you can drop the sarcasm, it's not necessary.[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Also, I take it you're no amateur when it comes to hanging out with recreational drug users, seeing as how you've "[B]seen people land themselves in the emergency room.[/B]" Now, I understand that you are just trying to [B]give fair warning[/B], but so am I. I believe that the best way to arm yourself is with information (and not just the negative aspects). Therefore, [U][B]I do not recommend taking dextromethorphan to anyone who does not first know all the risks involved[/B][/U] (though few). However, if you are going to use or abuse any type of drug, please do so [U]responsibly[/U] and [U]intelligently[/U] (and I just know someone is going to make the counterpoint that abusing drugs is neither responsible, nor intelligent -- go ahead).[/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]I'm no amateur only in the sense that living in college dorms while getting my degree meant I saw a lot of kids doing extremely stupid stuff. When I say I've seen kids land themselves in the emergency room I mean that quite literally. I've often been the one to call the paramedics when that trip went bad. I've seen someone in the beginning stages of Serotonin syndrome, as well as other states as a result of either drugs or alcohol issues. And I've seen people die from overdosing as well.

In the end you've only reinforced my point. It's one thing to talk about how wonderful the experience is and yet another to not list the dangers involved. Something that you did not do in your description. However, you've since corrected that by showing that you are aware of it. And really, that's all I was trying to say here. ^_~ I just hate it when trips get 'glorified' and the very real dangers get glossed over or left out altogether.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE=1]Recreational drugs are only bad for those who're too young and can't handle the effects. If you've got your GCSEs and other important things happening in your life, drugs could be bad. And if you're too young to know what 'moderation' is, then... yeah, bad (though personally my idea of 'moderation' is an imaginary place that exists wherever I am XD ).

I think other people have said it before, but if people can't control their drug use and let it slip out of hand, then that's their fault. Unless it somehow wasn't there fault, but I've been around drug users for a very long time. One friend who was forced to have... something or other... not sure what it was... became addicted. It wasn't her choice nor her fault it ruined her life - [i]but[/i] she did have the intelligence to get it back together. Now if you can do that and you're aware of how much you take, fair does, go for it.

Probably a lot of people will frown on me for this because of my age but I've done quite a few drugs. Speed was the funniest XD

Drinking aye? Nothing anyone says about that is going to affect me. Lowering or higher the drinking age won't affect me. But really, there's a baaaad booze problem in Britain. Thugs, mostly. Luckily I'm not a thug.[/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It's more fun to discuss it when people are polite and don't instantly go off on the tangent of how dare you disagree! ^_~[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I concur![/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Of course and I still think it's lame. Personal opinion really and though I've never used over the counter stuff, or rather I've never used it in a manner to get high, I've been sick enough to be put on a heavy dose of prescription stuff that had me all loopy and such and I loathed it. Over the counter cough syrup doesn't even come close to some of the prescription stuff. So I've no desire to take that further. I hate that disconnected feeling that it gives you.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Well, it generally works in [B]thirds[/B]. [B]1/3[/B] of all people who try it find it an [B]enjoyable[/B] experience, [B]1/3 do not[/B], and the remaining [B]third[/B] [U]are not[/U] significantly [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][U]affected[/U][/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen] by it, so I can understand how you might not like it. Being a [B]dissociative[/B], DXM, at higher doses, can make you feel [B]disconnected[/B] and [B]shutoff[/B] from the world. I personally do not ever take enough to get to that point, as I enjoy it more as a [B]social[/B] drug (an alternative to drinking).[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS] As for what I consume. lol I use alcohol for cooking though I do not drink, why? I lost a brother to a drunk driver and that sort of killed any interest in actually consuming it. That and the damn stuff smells like garbage. It's hard to drink something that makes you gag. I do drink soda and thus get caffeine, but I have allergies to varies pollutants and that includes most tobacco products, second hand smoke clobbers my allergies. So I don't smoke either.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]That was an unrelated question; I was just wondering ~_[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]That's the thing, most kids don't know that, they see someone talking about how cool it is and go and try it without bothering to do any form of research at all. And what happens? They do land themselves in the hospital. Also, even if you have done research, there's no comparison to someone who truly is educated in the field of medicine, so it is still a risk in the end. Perhaps not as great as one with the more hard substances, but still a risk. Research does not replace an extensive medical education and that too is something people don't think about.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I'm not like most kids (assuming I'm a kid because I'm younger than you). And true, [B]nothing beats a degree[/B].[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Though I'm sure your doctor isn't going to tell you the safest way to get high on otc drugs. lol[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]You're just not going to the right doctor. ~_[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Actually you simply described what you did without any waring whatsoever as to the potential dangers. ^_~ I was reminding you that you were on the slant of how amazing they were and yet leaving out the other stuff.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Touche, salesman.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]You've misunderstood the point. Each trip per se is just that a trip. It wasn't meant to imply that you had only one. So you can drop the sarcasm, it's not necessary.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]After reading this, and then rereading your previous statement, I stand corrected. I misread it originally.

Oh, and I drop the sarcasm for [B]no one[/B].[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I'm no amateur only in the sense that living in college dorms while getting my degree meant I saw a lot of kids doing extremely stupid stuff. When I say I've seen kids land themselves in the emergency room I mean that quite literally. I've often been the one to call the paramedics when that trip went bad. I've seen someone in the beginning stages of Serotonin syndrome, as well as other states as a result of either drugs or alcohol issues. And I've seen people die from overdosing as well.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I've been a part of some scary situations myself (although none of them happened to me, personally), and they can truly be quite frightening. It makes me practice that much more caution the next time around. Hopefully, I will never have to witness another's death.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='SunfallE][COLOR=goldenrod][FONT=Comic Sans MS] In the end you've only reinforced my point. It's one thing to talk about how wonderful the experience is and yet another to not list the dangers involved. Something that you did not do in your description. However, you've since corrected that by showing that you are aware of it. And really, that's all I was trying to say here. ^_~ I just hate it when trips get 'glorified' and the very real dangers get glossed over or left out altogether.[/FONT'][/COLOR][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Maybe so. All I was doing in my "trip description" post was just that: describing a typical trip for me (just to point out to [B]KenshinSorrow[/B] that they were [U]not[/U] getting high). I wasn't glorifying it, I was simply stating it as I see it. I too hate it when people are ignorant about drug use. It truly is [B]dangerous[/B] business, and definitely not for those who are unprepared.

We must have a rematch sometime, [B]SunfallE[/B]. ~_[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I will be trying [B]ecstasy[/B] for the first time in the near future.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Georgia"]How much do you know about ecstasy and it's potential consequences? I'm not being a smartass either, I'm actually curious.[/FONT]

[quote name='Anomaly][FONT=Georgia']How much do you know about ecstasy and it's potential consequences? I'm not being a smartass either, I'm actually curious.[/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]No offense taken, but I know about as much about ecstasy as I do dextromethorphan hydrobromide. [B]Ecstasy[/B] is one of the most [U]overly-demonized[/U] drugs out there. The vast majority of negative effects you hear about it are simply [B]not true[/B].

Surprisingly, ecstasy is one of the safest drugs one could take (although again, I strongly encourage all [B]NOT to do drugs[/B]). Ecstasy ([B]methylenedioxymethamphetamine[/B], or [U][B]MDMA[/B][/U] for short), in its pure form, is safer than [B]cigarettes[/B], [B]alcohol[/B], [B]caffeine[/B], and [B]marijuana[/B]. It is not physically addictive, although there have been reported case of psychological addiction. One is in complete control over their actions the entire time they are high.

There has never been a reported case of MDMA-related death, only deaths due to other factors. Pure MDMA by itself will not kill you. The only way you can die from ecstasy is [B]if you are stupid[/B] (mix it with other drugs, over-exert yourself -- causing [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]hyperthermia[/B], lose too many fluids -- [B]dehydration[/B], or more commonly, take in too many fluids over a short period of time, essentially drowning your cells -- [B]hyponatremia[/B]). Also, extensive use of MDMA can damage serotonin receptors in the brain, however these do repair over time.

Once again, [B]if you are taking an MAOI, [U]STAY THE HELL AWAY[/U]. [U]YOU MORE THAN LIKELY WILL DIE[/U].[/B] If you have [B][I]any[/I][/B] health problems or disorders [U]whatsoever[/U], you should [B]not[/B] even be considering doing recreational drugs in the first place.

Most sources that list the [B]negative effects[/B] of MDMA list them just as that; [B]negative effects of MDMA[/B]. Let me explain... a source might say that ecstasy causes [B]heatstroke[/B], [B]dehydration[/B], and [B]heart/kidney failure[/B]. The truth is, [U][B]ecstasy does not, by itself, cause any of these[/B][/U]. These horrible effects are caused by the actions I listed above: [B]over-exertion[/B], a [B]lack of or surge in water intake[/B], [B]mixing with other drugs[/B], etc. If you were to take pure ecstasy, by itself, and just sit on a couch for the duration of the drug, [B]none of these things would happen[/B]. [U][B]None of them[/B][/U]. It's not the drug harming people, it's the [U]people harming themselves[/U]. Sure the drug might be a factor, but still,[B] people being stupid trumps all[/B].

There are a few hypothetical long-term effects of regular MDMA usage, but no conclusive data has ever been gathered.

The effects of ecstasy are quite similar to low doses of DXM (which is why I want to try it)... Heightened senses, [B]music euphoria[/B], a sense of peace ([/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Entactogenesis) a strong sense of empathy and connecting with others (Empathogenesis), a boost in energy, ... all the good stuff (I already listed the bad stuff).

There is no such thing as a "safe drug," but there is such a thing as "[B]safe drug use[/B]." If you are going to use drugs (which I advise [U]against[/U]), please do so with [B]extreme caution[/B] and with a [B]knowledge[/B] of what you are getting into.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]I don't want to pull anything off topic but I was wondering, Mr. Lethargy (haha), I thought you could die from your first try? Ecstasy, I mean. An allergic reaction or something. Apparently, the reason it has such a bad reputation, is people can take it for the rest of their life and live... or some unlucky person can take it once and fall flat on their face. Or maybe that's to do with dehydration...

Though I think in terms of ecstasy it depends on the person as much like any other drugs. Once again I'll use a friend as an example, but he took ecstasy and simply because of the way he was he hated it and was majorly down for days. He definitely wasn't feeling in touch with anyone, energetic or happy. Maybe he took something else with it. What I'm trying to say is maybe it's important to consider the way you react to things or your own condition and the way drugs will change those reactions before you do anything.

Another example, I can't do drugs near a group of people (clubs or parties) because I don't react well to large groups (I wouldn't [i]be[/i] at a club that's filled with so many people, but that's not my point).[/SIZE]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I seem to have become the drug guru here.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Vicky][SIZE=1']I don't want to pull anything off topic but I was wondering, Mr. Lethargy (haha), I thought you could die from your first try? Ecstasy, I mean. An allergic reaction or something. Apparently, the reason it has such a bad reputation, is people can take it for the rest of their life and live... or some unlucky person can take it once and fall flat on their face. Or maybe that's to do with dehydration...[/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Ecstasy, just like anything else, [B]can produce potentially fatal allergic reactions[/B]. That is why it is essential to [B]know your own medical background[/B], and also your [B]family's medical history[/B] before taking any drug. [U]You don't need to take an unnecessary risk[/U]. However, more often than not, it has to do with [B]dehydration[/B], [B]over-hydration[/B], or [B]heat exhaustion[/B], just as you mentioned. Just plain [B]over-doing it[/B] in general.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Vicky][SIZE=1'] Though I think in terms of ecstasy it depends on the person as much like any other drugs.[/SIZE][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]That is [B]absolutely correct[/B]. [B]Mindset[/B] and [B]personality[/B] have [U]everything to do with the experience[/U]. No two people are the same, therefore no two people will have the exact same drug experience.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Maybe so. All I was doing in my "trip description" post was just that: describing a typical trip for me (just to point out to [B]KenshinSorrow[/B] that they were [U]not[/U] getting high). I wasn't glorifying it, I was simply stating it as I see it. I too hate it when people are ignorant about drug use. It truly is [B]dangerous[/B] business, and definitely not for those who are unprepared.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]I understand what SunfallE was getting at, with the glorifying bit. Both of us live in the same town and that's exactly how a lot of teens are. They talk about how cool and wonderful it is and when you bring up the danger issue they go nuts on you. Screaming about how you're just a stuck up [insert swear word here] who doesn't know how to have fun. XP Believe me I've gotten that from former friends who are into all sorts of illegal drugs.

Not one of them came back and openly admitted that there was a danger, instead they just keep ramming it in your face about how 'safe' illegal drugs are when no drug is safe. And I have to admit, it's rare, at least for me, to see anyone who does recreational drugs like you say you do and yet still be willing to fess up to the very real dangers of using them.

I would imagine you'll probably be one of the only people who I've talked to who does understand why I refuse to use them. And that ties back to what you were saying earlier about health considerations. I have problems with hypoglycemia and have to watch what I eat very carefully to keep my blood sugar from getting too low. I've been told many times by my doctor to avoid taking anything offered to me by other kids. So I take that advice seriously. [/FONT][/COLOR]

[FONT="Arial"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="SeaGreen"]When I was in 6th grade, there was a program where a cop taught you what happens when you mis-use drugs. They showed you videos that bad actors and made you do a work book.I dont remeber what the program was called, but it was something like D.A.R.E or G.R.E.A.T (something like that).

So my opinion will just stick with what I was taught, that mis-using drugs are a big NO-NO.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]No offense taken, but I know about as much about ecstasy as I do dextromethorphan hydrobromide. [B]Ecstasy[/B] is one of the most [U]overly-demonized[/U] drugs out there. The vast majority of negative effects you hear about it are simply [B]not true[/B].

Surprisingly, ecstasy is one of the safest drugs one could take (although again, I strongly encourage all [B]NOT to do drugs[/B]). Ecstasy ([B]methylenedioxymethamphetamine[/B], or [U][B]MDMA[/B][/U] for short), in its pure form, is safer than [B]cigarettes[/B], [B]alcohol[/B], [B]caffeine[/B], and [B]marijuana[/B]. It is not physically addictive, although there have been reported case of psychological addiction. One is in complete control over their actions the entire time they are high.

There has never been a reported case of MDMA-related death, only deaths due to other factors. Pure MDMA by itself will not kill you. The only way you can die from ecstasy is [B]if you are stupid[/B] (mix it with other drugs, over-exert yourself -- causing [/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen][B]hyperthermia[/B], lose too many fluids -- [B]dehydration[/B], or more commonly, take in too many fluids over a short period of time, essentially drowning your cells -- [B]hyponatremia[/B]). Also, extensive use of MDMA can damage serotonin receptors in the brain, however these do repair over time.

Once again, [B]if you are taking an MAOI, [U]STAY THE HELL AWAY[/U]. [U]YOU MORE THAN LIKELY WILL DIE[/U].[/B] If you have [B][I]any[/I][/B] health problems or disorders [U]whatsoever[/U], you should [B]not[/B] even be considering doing recreational drugs in the first place.

Most sources that list the [B]negative effects[/B] of MDMA list them just as that; [B]negative effects of MDMA[/B]. Let me explain... a source might say that ecstasy causes [B]heatstroke[/B], [B]dehydration[/B], and [B]heart/kidney failure[/B]. The truth is, [U][B]ecstasy does not, by itself, cause any of these[/B][/U]. These horrible effects are caused by the actions I listed above: [B]over-exertion[/B], a [B]lack of or surge in water intake[/B], [B]mixing with other drugs[/B], etc. If you were to take pure ecstasy, by itself, and just sit on a couch for the duration of the drug, [B]none of these things would happen[/B]. [U][B]None of them[/B][/U]. It's not the drug harming people, it's the [U]people harming themselves[/U]. Sure the drug might be a factor, but still,[B] people being stupid trumps all[/B].

There are a few hypothetical long-term effects of regular MDMA usage, but no conclusive data has ever been gathered.

The effects of ecstasy are quite similar to low doses of DXM (which is why I want to try it)... Heightened senses, [B]music euphoria[/B], a sense of peace ([/COLOR][/SIZE][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Entactogenesis) a strong sense of empathy and connecting with others (Empathogenesis), a boost in energy, ... all the good stuff (I already listed the bad stuff).

There is no such thing as a "safe drug," but there is such a thing as "[B]safe drug use[/B]." If you are going to use drugs (which I advise [U]against[/U]), please do so with [B]extreme caution[/B] and with a [B]knowledge[/B] of what you are getting into.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Georgia"]Well you've certainly done your homework. I definitely respect the fact that you're well read into what you do before you do it, make no mistake.

But I do think that one part of your information is wrong. I'm not sure of your sources, but this past summer I took Science 30, and my teacher went a little indepth on the effects of E on your nervous system.

You said "extensive use of MDMA can damage serotonin receptors in the brain, however these do repair over time." which isn't reeeeally true. From what I was told, depending on how extensive the damage is, it can be irreversible. Basically, E causes the 'pleasure pathway' to fire more rapidly than it would normally, which causes the loving everyone bit of the trip. E will exhaust these neurons, but if you rest them they'll be fine again. The risk is that apparently you can run down these neurons so they won't function normally, which pretty much means that you'll never be as happy again as you were on the drug, and you may have to become dependant on it not as an addiction, but in order to be normal. It could happen the first time, it could happen the fifty-first time, but I think it's a fairly big risk.

My friend who did E says that realistically, you never would be as happy as you were on the drug because it's impossible, but it seems like a really big risk to me. Is it worth it to potentially never be truly happy again? [/FONT]

• 2 weeks later...
[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I will take your professor's word over mine, [B]Anomaly[/B].[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Anomaly][FONT=Georgia'] My friend who did E says that realistically, you never would be as happy as you were on the drug because it's impossible, but it seems like a really big risk to me. Is it worth it to potentially never be truly happy again[/FONT][/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]I believe what your friend meant was that you would never be as happy as you were on the drug in the sense that it is [U]physically impossible[/U] to [B]naturally[/B] be that happy.

There is no incident that will cause you to release all of your serotonin[B] naturally[/B] into your system at once, thus it would be [U]physically impossible[/U] for you to ever experience that degree of happiness in [B]normal[/B] life without the drug.

It would pretty much be the most happiness you would ever experience in your life.

[spoiler]Typing is such a trying task whilst high, seeing as how i am currently high as a kite. I hope that this fact does not cause me to lose any credibility, as I honestly do not remember what i just typed.

Oh, well.[/spoiler]
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]
[spoiler]Typing is such a trying task whilst high, seeing as how i am currently high as a kite. I hope that this fact does not cause me to lose any credibility, as I honestly do not remember what i just typed.

Oh, well.[/spoiler]
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Georgia"]I lol-ed

I totally got my point across wrong. I kind of meant like... Ah hell, I'm having some trouble putting this into words. I think it's sort of like once you feel that happiness, everything will just be mediocre. I'm trying to expand on what I said, though what you said is true and it IS impossible to actually have that extreme happy feeling, every other regular happy feeling is just not as sweet compared to that one and life just sounds like it gets a helluva lot more boring.

You've got it bang on, it is the most happiness you'd ever feel in your life all at once, but I guess that's why I think it's a big risk. That would make it not physically addicting, but mentally.[/FONT]

I disagree with drugs as in cocaine, marijuana, LCD and what not. I however, agree with drinking, safely. By safely I mean, it doesn't hurt to drink 1 or 2 beers/drink form time to time, as long as you like to and don't get drunk. I guess it's more of being aware of the risks and responsabilities associated with drinking.

Well, I personally don't do drugs, and I only drink on occasion. (1 or 2 beers a year, mainly because I don't really care for the taste). But I think that drinking is personally fine as long as you don't act stupid when you do it, and I even want to go further and say that the drinking age should be at 18 during times of war.( I mean really, if you can go to war and get killed, you can drink. End of discussion)

Now drugs, well...I don't have a very well informed opinion of them, since I've never used any.(At least not illegal ones) But from what I've heard, marijuana really isn't so harmful as for it to be illegal. I mean, it pretty much has the same effects as smoking/drinking, not exactly the same but pretty close. Of course, I am completely against cocaine/crack/meth/etc., but the less extreme ones I don't care one way or the other.