OtakuBoards

Conventions '07

Shaholl

I was just wondering if anyone is looking forward to any conventions this year. It doesn't have to be for anime; I just want to hear about the different ones that people are going to be attending. I'm personally awaiting Anime Central 2007 (PM me for details). 10th year running is going to be one massive party!!

Since I can only afford to go to maybe two events a year (a convention and a ren faire), I'd like to know about everything that I'm missing! :animesmil

• Replies 55
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#9933ff]Currently the only one I'm going to is Otakon.

What sucks is that I'm ALWAYS a week late for Anime Boston. ...But I'm (hopefully - fingers crossed!!) going to school there next year, so I'll be able to attend in 2008. Nyah. ^^;;

I Really, REALLY wanted to go to AnimeNext (it's in NJ!), but damn it, I'll be in Italy! *growls* The thing that sucks is that they changed the date of the con. Last year it was mid June, and this year it's competing on AnimeExpo weekend (which was a dumb thing to do, IMO), but I'll still be away!! *wails* The only plus to being in Italy (besides being in Italy) is that I'm bringing a Subaru cosplay and taking pictures in Venice. Woooyeaha!! ^__^;;; (Er... presuming that my cosplay doesn't suck too much. *__*)

If anyone is going to Otakon, let me know. I'll be there! =D

And I know I'm totally dominating the conversation with anime conventions right now. But I just wanted to say that Vic Mignogna (voice of Ed Elric) says that (or rather, someone else in a panel with him said that) he's such a big Star Wars fan that he declined an invitation to an anime convention - in HAWAII because in conflicted with a Star Wars convention he was just attending (as a fan). Lol. Well, you gotta love the dedication. ^_^;[/color]

[quote name='MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff']If anyone is going to Otakon, let me know. I'll be there! =D[/color][/quote]
[size=1]I've never been to a con, but all of my friends go to Otakon every year. So this time around (it being my last year in the area for quite a while) I'll make a concerted effort to get there. Depending on how rooming works out with all of us, I might stay for the entire thing.

Oh, and I don't think I'm going to cosplay. I had trouble enough with dressing up for Halloween, let alone those intricate outfits you see at Otakon[/size]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][FONT=Trebuchet MS]There aren't all that many in my area, sadly D:

I'll probably be hitting up Sakuracon in Seattle (anybody going?!), and Anime North in Toronto, Ontario. Then there's the little con in Calgary in the spring, Otafest, and here, Animethon, in August, and maybe Anime Evolution in British Columbia. These are all 'I hopes', anyway. I have more than a 50% chance of going to all of them =3 And yes, I'll be cosplaying at all *laughs*[/FONT][/COLOR]

That was quick. Only been an hour since I started this thread and I'm already getting replies. I feel special now.

So many conventions... not enough money or time... Kinda sux to be me at the moment. Good thing my cosplay costume has been ready for almost a year now. Maybe I'll post some pictures of it on the forums, especially if it'll make people laugh.

OOOOooo. I'm planning on going to my first ever Anime convension this summer. Might even be my first convension at all. I can't remember being at any other ones... Which is pretty sad. Maybe I should get out more.

Anyway, it's a little local one called [B]Ai-Kon[/B], in good ol' Winnipeg, MB... I 'm planning on going with my sister and friend, and it better work out, because if it doesn't and I miss it I'll be pissed. :animeangr

I'm planning on going to Nekocon X (:catgirl: ) this year, and I hope to cosplay Black Mokona, Sakura from Tsubasa, and Yomiko Readman from ROD. Last year at Nekocon was my first convention and even though I was only there for one day, it was the most fun that I have had in a long time. Sadly, since I can't get a job until my grades go up, I won't have the money to go to any other Con. Oh well, I should take it slow anyway. :rolleyes:

Mistress Roxie, where abouts in NJ is the AnimeNext con you have mentioned here? :)

[QUOTE=MistressRoxie][color=#9933ff]Currently the only one I'm going to is Otakon.

What sucks is that I'm ALWAYS a week late for Anime Boston. ...But I'm (hopefully - fingers crossed!!) going to school there next year, so I'll be able to attend in 2008. Nyah. ^^;;

I Really, REALLY wanted to go to AnimeNext (it's in NJ!), but damn it, I'll be in Italy! *growls* The thing that sucks is that they changed the date of the con. Last year it was mid June, and this year it's competing on AnimeExpo weekend (which was a dumb thing to do, IMO), but I'll still be away!! *wails* The only plus to being in Italy (besides being in Italy) is that I'm bringing a Subaru cosplay and taking pictures in Venice. Woooyeaha!! ^__^;;; (Er... presuming that my cosplay doesn't suck too much. *__*)

If anyone is going to Otakon, let me know. I'll be there! =D

And I know I'm totally dominating the conversation with anime conventions right now. But I just wanted to say that Vic Mignogna (voice of Ed Elric) says that (or rather, someone else in a panel with him said that) he's such a big Star Wars fan that he declined an invitation to an anime convention - in HAWAII because in conflicted with a Star Wars convention he was just attending (as a fan). Lol. Well, you gotta love the dedication. ^_^;[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff]Oh! AnimeNext is in Secaucus, NJ. So, north jersey-ish. Sorry if you're south jersey. >_> (Not that you couldn't come, it's just a longer drive.)

I also made a mistake; AnimeNext is NOT competing on Anime Expo weekend; Next is the weekend [i]after[/i] Expo. Two conventions on the opposite sides of the country one weekend after the other.

I'm also contemplating attending Conneticon, which is the weekend after AnimeNext, but I don't know about that. It's more likely NOT to happen, unfortunately, but possibilities remain. *_* +P[/color]

[COLOR=Blue]I'm planning on going to Conneticon myself. I heard that Vic is going to be there. I missed him at Anime Boston 2006, and the previous year at Otakon.
I also got word that Travis Willingham (The voice of Roy Mustang) is going to be at this year's Anime Boston.
I feel like I'm the only anime fan that hasn't met Vic.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Dragonboym2][COLOR=Blue]I'm planning on going to Conneticon myself. I heard that Vic is going to be there. I missed him at Anime Boston 2006, and the previous year at Otakon.
I also got word that Travis Willingham (The voice of Roy Mustang) is going to be at this year's Anime Boston.
I feel like I'm the only anime fan that hasn't met Vic.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Er.... Vic? Just out of curiousity, who is Vic?

[size=1]I'm assuming Vic Mignona (sp?) - the voice of Dark Mousy from DNAngel, as well as many others.

And don't worry Dragonboym2, you have more of a chance of meeting him than I.

Australia doesn't have many anime conventions, and the ones we do have are low key. But Crispin Freeman and Vic (two of my favourite English voice actors) went to the Supanova anime convention in Sydney last year. I was ropeable. I live in Brisbane (about 1500kms north of Sydney).

Hopefully they come to Brisbane's one this year (though I highly doubt it). Go SUPANOVA![/size]

[QUOTE=Redemption][size=1]I'm assuming Vic Mignona (sp?) - the voice of Dark Mousy from DNAngel, as well as many others.

And don't worry Dragonboym2, you have more of a chance of meeting him than I.

Australia doesn't have many anime conventions, and the ones we do have are low key. But Crispin Freeman and Vic (two of my favourite English voice actors) went to the Supanova anime convention in Sydney last year. I was ropeable. I live in Brisbane (about 1500kms north of Sydney).

Hopefully they come to Brisbane's one this year (though I highly doubt it). Go SUPANOVA![/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=Blue]That's right, I ment Vic Mignogna. I'm looking forward to meeting him. I never met Crispin Freeman either. I'd also like to meet him. Did you know Crispin did some theater work? No wonder he's really good at what he does.

"KAMEHAMEHA!"

Dragonboym2[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]We have all sorts of fun conventions or events here in Salt Lake City, Utah. Except anime that is. Those are so poorly advertised that half the time when I find out about it, it?s already over. Something that really frustrated me last year since they even had Charles Forrest "Spike" Spencer as a guest attend. It?s only run twice, so this year, especially since I know about it and I?ve book marked their web page I intend to go. And the best part is it?s held at a university that for me is a quick ride on the light rail system here.

Other things I?ve enjoyed when they?ve had them here has been a charity event where you go and see elaborately decorated Christmas trees that they sell to raise money. They often have one where you can check out older restored classic cars, even if I know nothing about cars it?s fun to go and check them out.

And one that Rachmaninoff drags me to when it occurs is the Gina bachauer piano competition, where pianists from around the world come to compete. I?m not really into classical music, but good lord those people can play. Last year?s competition was really good. [/COLOR]

Convention wise I think this year I'll be going to my usual anime cons: Sakura-con in Seattle and Anime Expo in Long Beach. Last year Kumoricon and Anime Vegas fell on the same weekend and if that happens again I'll probably go to Anime Vegas since I've never been to that con before. Kumoricon I've been to twice. Every year I try to make it to Anime Evolution in Vancouver, BC but have yet to make it there since I'm usually broke after AX. Perhaps I'll aim for an east coast con. We'll see how the budget holds out.

Non-anime wise there may be some computer geeky stuff my hubby may go to for work and I may tag along. Just recently some of his co-workers went to CES in Vegas. I use to go to veterinary conferences at least twice a year back when I was healthy. Needless to say I don't do that anymore. The idea of standing in the cow barn for hours in the cold just doesn't sound like something I want to do anymore. LOL

Not really a convention but I would like to check out a ren faire. I just got to find one in my neck of the woods. Perhaps this is the cosplayer part of me who wants to check out the costumes but I've really wanted to go to one to see what it's all about.

[COLOR=DarkSlateBlue][FONT=Trebuchet MS]I've personally never been to a convention, this year will be my first one!

I'm going to Megacon, it's supposed to be one of the largest in the southeast, I can't wait!! Vic Mignogna's going to be there, Sean Austin ((Sam from LOTR))'s going to be there, Lex Lang and Sandy Fox are going to be there too!! I'm soo psyched!! *dances*[/FONT][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
Jeez... that's a lot of conventions I'm managing to miss... and they all sound so fun, too. Oh well. Maybe next year. :catgirl:

Next question: have you ever managed to convince someone to go to a convention that they were adamantly against going to and have them end up loving it and wanting more?

[quote name='indifference][COLOR=DarkRed']And one that Rachmaninoff drags me to when it occurs is the Gina bachauer piano competition, where pianists from around the world come to compete. I?m not really into classical music, but good lord those people can play. Last year?s competition was really good. [/COLOR][/quote]Just think, this year I?ll drag you to the Amateur Competition of the Gina Bachauer piano competition. :p

As for other types of events, it?s been a long time but I remember going when I was younger to a Star Trek one down in Las Vegas. I was on a trip with my parents and when they realized what it was they stopped and took all of us in for a gander. It was kind of cool seeing all the adults dressing up as characters from the series and such.

They never seem to have those types of conventions around here, though I understand that one of the universities here in the past few years has started hosting the only anime one in Utah. And since it?s fairly close to where I live, I will imagine that Crystia will drag me to it to get revenge for all the classical stuff I drag her too. lol

I just ordered my three-day pass for the Middle Tennessee Anime Convention, which is technically my first [i]con[/i]. I'm going to be there cosplaying as an FFIII white mage (specifically, Luneth). As far as I know, MTAC is the only anime convention in Tennessee. Someone at my school said it wasn't that great, but I'll be there as a white mage with an Anna Kyoyama and a Tenten and possibly a Haruhi Fujioka.

Then in May there's the Renaissance Festival in Triune, and I always go to that. Hopefully I'll be able to go in costume here, too. I'm probably going as a peasant who can have an outfit made of cotton. Long sleeves of satin in Tennessee when it's almost summertime do not make for a fun day. I also hope to see the ocarina seller again, because he is living bishie (excuse me for the fangirl moment) and he can play the ocarina really well. Hopefully my mom won't call him "Miss" this year. (You would think the fact that he wore an open shirt would have tipped her off, but he was really pretty with long hair). And there's the jousting. I love watching people riding horses while trying to knock each other down with long sharp objects.

Also, there's a My Little Pony convention in Memphis, I believe it is, this summer, and hopefully I'll be going to that with two of my friends. I'm not that pony-crazy, but my friends are, and I'll have fun just because of their enthusiasm.

• 4 weeks later...
i know this is an old thread...but i'm fairly new.

is there anyone here that is in Texas (DFW area) that may be going to A-Kon in June ??
i'm going to TRY and go as long as i can save the money and get the time off work.

i can't wait cause it will be my first con. to go to !!

[font=Times]So yeah...I just got in on this crazy convention thing. Last year was my first, Otakon. Amazing fun, went with my sister since it's held one bus trip from us every year (just didn't attend in previous years...). I'm not going to lie, I REALLY feel like a diaper head not having been to Otakon before 2006... When I live in Baltimore. >_>

Last month or so I attended Katsucon in DC, but could only make the last day, good times though... I will be at Otakon in July and it'd be cool to meet OtakuBoards people; ignoring the fact that I've been on/off lurking for years. [/font]