OtakuBoards

One Piece Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Tatsubei Yagyu

[size=1][color=darkred]That was indeed a sad chapter, but seeing Luffy's face at the end made it hard to take everything seriously. This is why I hate OP artwork. It's so quirky till you can't take serious moments seriously because of it wacky look.[/size][/color]

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

wow I just got done reading it and am in utter shock....

[spoiler] I'm not going to argue about the magma vs fire thing its Oda universe and if he says it true u have to believe him.

I feel like Luffy really needed to lose someone dear to him. I don't think that any of the background characters would have been able to have the affect that Ace would. Besides would u really like to see Luffy lose a crewmate??? Could u imagin Oda killing off Ussop? (i use him as the example cause I think he's the only one that could be expendable)

Anyways, I have a sneaky supision that the golden lion guy is going to come out of the woodwork and save the day for everyone he can.... [/spoiler]

[quote name='rotlung'][spoiler] I'm not going to argue about the magma vs fire thing its Oda universe and if he says it true u have to believe him.[/spoiler][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]It didn't gel with my [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WillingSuspensionOfDisbelief"][COLOR="Blue"]Willing Suspension of Disbelief.[/COLOR][/URL] The thing about the "it's the author's universe, don't question it" mentality is that it tends to let the author get away with a lot more than they should be allowed to. It's the same reasoning that lets Masashi Kishimoto pull a new Sharingan power out of thin air every time Sasuke starts breathing heavily, allows Tite Kubo to magically grant Ichigo five new powerups per fight and encourages Seth MacFarlane to turn [I]Family Guy[/I] into an unfunny propaganda-loaded political agenda machine. Not questioning bad writing just encourages more bad writing.

Not to say that you're not allowed to like this particular plot point, but you shouldn't do it just because Oda said so. I agree that he's an excellent writer and I enjoy most of what happens in [I]One Piece[/I], but he makes mistakes like every other human being and should be allowed to learn from them like anyone else.

As for Shiki, he's actually reserved for the Tenth Movie, so he probably won't make many more major contributions to the main story unless it happens in the Strong World prologue he's still writing.[/FONT]

So, guess who just read the new chapter guys!? *points thumbs at self* Oh yeah!

Holy eff. For one, the series is going on break next week... as if it wasn't enough to leave us with a cliffhanger for a week, Oda's gotta make it two. Ffffff...

...but I digress. [SPOILER]Whitebeard and Akainu duking it out and then OMFGZHAHAHAHABLACKBEARD just totally blew me away. Who are those people and how in the hell did he get the time to recruit them... if he had just done the recruiting recently, at least, and I'm in disbelief that a girl actually went near him long enough to be recruited and Whitebeard earthquaking everyone away from the battle and poor Luffy and[/SPOILER]... *breathes* Yeah... it's pretty crazy.

Someone should really count how many double-page spreads are in the Marineford Arc... 'cause I'm sure the number is getting pretty high up there.

[size=1][color=darkred][spoiler]Blackbeard showing up was great.[/spoiler] Leaves a lot of questions though. [spoiler]Did the poison not have any effect on Blackbeard or did Blackbeard get to Megallan (sp?) first?[/spoiler]

Logia users... It's my understand that they can't really be touch unless you use a weakness of some sort. (Which is why I'm still having a hard time buying the whole "magma vs fire" thing) How the heck is [spoiler]Whitebeard able to touch Akainu?[/spoiler] He even got him to the point of bleeding.

I really don't like these double spreads. But for the first time it's a lot more clearer in this chapter than the others. It always seemed so cluttered to the point it was hard to tell what was going on.

It was a good chapter though.[/size][/color]

[quote name='Magus'][size=1][color=darkred]
I really don't like these double spreads. But for the first time it's a lot more clearer in this chapter than the others. It always seemed so cluttered to the point it was hard to tell what was going on.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

I know what you mean about the double-page spreads, but I found that, in the current arc at least, they helped to convey the panicked, uncertain, here-there-everywhere, chaotic feeling that being in such a situation would entail. They pretty much worked for me, with the exception that I got to scroll around to read everything, but that's just me being lazy. ^^'

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Magus'][size=1][color=darkred] [spoiler]Whitebeard able to touch Akainu?[/spoiler] He even got him to the point of bleeding.[/size][/color][/QUOTE]

Haki.

Also the new people with blackbeard are the infamous level 6 prisions that Iva was talking about back in level 5.5.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='Ikillion'][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"]

Haki.[/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Yeah, they pretty much established that Haki lets you touch Logia users back in Shabaody. Which reminds me, Rayleigh is a badass and I want to see more of him. Anyway, Whitebeard of all people should probably have that power. Strongest man in the world and all that.

[spoiler]Blackbeard's new posse should be interesting. The entire world is about to realize how dumb it generally is to erase someone from history.[/spoiler][/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]It didn't gel with my [URL="http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/Main/WillingSuspensionOfDisbelief"][COLOR=blue]Willing Suspension of Disbelief.[/COLOR][/URL] The thing about the "it's the author's universe, don't question it" mentality is that it tends to let the author get away with a lot more than they should be allowed to. It's the same reasoning that lets Masashi Kishimoto pull a new Sharingan power out of thin air every time Sasuke starts breathing heavily, allows Tite Kubo to magically grant Ichigo five new powerups per fight and encourages Seth MacFarlane to turn [I]Family Guy[/I] into an unfunny propaganda-loaded political agenda machine. Not questioning bad writing just encourages more bad writing.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]Not to say that you're not allowed to like this particular plot point, but you shouldn't do it just because Oda said so. I agree that he's an excellent writer and I enjoy most of what happens in [I]One Piece[/I], but he makes mistakes like every other human being and should be allowed to learn from them like anyone else.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]As for Shiki, he's actually reserved for the Tenth Movie, so he probably won't make many more major contributions to the main story unless it happens in the Strong World prologue he's still writing.[/FONT][/quote]

My point at it's Oda's universe was similar to why there is sound effects in space in the Star Wars movies. Lucas did it and no one really questioned it. Therefore it's accepted by the viewer. This is the similar point that magma fruit beats the fire fruit.

In reality, Magma is hotter than fire. Magma also would smother a fire and when it cools would leave volcanic rock in it's place. So in relation to the story [spoiler] Ace is burned through and has his wounds cauterized by the magma. This then doesn't allow him to regenerate like he normally would. [/spoiler]

• 2 weeks later...
[size=1][color=darkred]I said it before that this entire arc feels as if it was a waste, but wow, this chapter was pretty epic. Shiryuu might've just became another favorite. He has the pressence of a bad###. I'm pretty curious to find out what happened to Megallan. I mean I can guess that he was defeated, but I want to see it.

Whitebeard, without a doubt is the man. Best character in One Piece. Now all that's needed is an epic moment from Shanks as well as Dragon. If I get that I'd probably have high hopes in One Piece again. (Not taking anything away from the series or anything because it definately out shines both Bleach and Naruto, but I do feel like with this arc that it's fallen into a bit of a slump)

Anyway, like I said, I'm probably having these issues because I'm still bitter over Ace lol. Now I gotta find a new favorite character to get into. Smoker, Mihawk, Shiryuu, Shanks... The ball's in your court. [/size][/color]

[quote name='FallenAngelGM']I wonder how Luffy will recover from all this. I mean, I know he will, but man... He just took the worst scar of all time.[/QUOTE]

I'm guessing "meat" and "more food" will be in that equation... The rest, I ain't too sure... XD

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]Holy crap, this may have been the best chapter in a while. [spoiler]Whitebeard speaks his last words and is finally confirmed to be dead after an epic curb-stomp throwdown with his former subordinate.[/spoiler] Truly the stuff of legends.

[spoiler]I love how we get to see that Teach is essentially the exact opposite of Luffy in almost every aspect with this chapter. Blackbeard has been scheming and plotting for over ten years to do the things he's just setting into motion now. Luffy graduated top of his class from the Indiana Jones School of Improvisation. Luffy is skinny, flexible and fast. Blackbeard values power over speed and has a gut the size of Mt. Everest. Blackbeard carefully chose his power, which pulls things towards him and leaves him very physically vulnerable. Luffy ate his devil fruit completely accidentally and it gave him the power to spread himself outwards and be impervious to blunt force.

And most importantly, Luffy will not hesitate to put his life on the line to save his friends and family and will even willingly accept death with a big, stupid grin. Blackbeard talks a big game about destiny and fate, but when the chips are down and he's got the strongest man in the world strangling him with one hand, he starts begging for mercy like the pitiful coward he really is. And then he calls in his entire crew to bring down his enemy for him. And then that fails too.

I think they need to get Mr. 3 to coat Whitebeard's body in wax and immortalize it in front of Marine HQ for all eternity as a final middle finger to them all. it would be the perfect icing on their cake of fail. Their base is trashed, half their troops are dead, they've lost all control since the world has officially been thrown into political turmoil and to top it all off, NEWGATE IS STILL STANDING THERE LEERING AT THEM.[/spoiler][/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Holy crap, this may have been the best chapter in a while. [spoiler]Whitebeard speaks his last words and is finally confirmed to be dead after an epic curb-stomp throwdown with his former subordinate.[/spoiler] Truly the stuff of legends.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS][spoiler]I love how we get to see that Teach is essentially the exact opposite of Luffy in almost every aspect with this chapter. Blackbeard has been scheming and plotting for over ten years to do the things he's just setting into motion now. Luffy graduated top of his class from the Indiana Jones School of Improvisation. Luffy is skinny, flexible and fast. Blackbeard values power over speed and has a gut the size of Mt. Everest. Blackbeard carefully chose his power, which pulls things towards him and leaves him very physically vulnerable. Luffy ate his devil fruit completely accidentally and it gave him the power to spread himself outwards and be impervious to blunt force.[/spoiler][/FONT][spoiler]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]And most importantly, Luffy will not hesitate to put his life on the line to save his friends and family and will even willingly accept death with a big, stupid grin. Blackbeard talks a big game about destiny and fate, but when the chips are down and he's got the strongest man in the world strangling him with one hand, he starts begging for mercy like the pitiful coward he really is. And then he calls in his entire crew to bring down his enemy for him. And then that fails too.[/FONT]

[FONT=Comic Sans MS]I think they need to get Mr. 3 to coat Whitebeard's body in wax and immortalize it in front of Marine HQ for all eternity as a final middle finger to them all. it would be the perfect icing on their cake of fail. Their base is trashed, half their troops are dead, they've lost all control since the world has officially been thrown into political turmoil and to top it all off, NEWGATE IS STILL STANDING THERE LEERING AT THEM.[/FONT][/spoiler][/quote]

yeah this has to be the most epic event to happen in the world of one piece sense the excution of Gol D. Roger himself. Definatly give the middle finger to Marine HQ and they would have to coat him in something better than wax... they need him enshrined in metal.

Also I have to point out something and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that transponder snail still broadcasting to the world while this transpires??? When Gol D Roger made a proclaimation like that it started the Great Pirate Era and now this this event being seen by everyone won't it create a second wave in the Great Pirate Era??? I can only imagin the impact of these events.

[quote name='rotlung']Also I have to point out something and correct me if I'm wrong but isn't that transponder snail still broadcasting to the world while this transpires??? When Gol D Roger made a proclaimation like that it started the Great Pirate Era and now this this event being seen by everyone won't it create a second wave in the Great Pirate Era??? I can only imagin the impact of these events.[/QUOTE]

That is EXACTLY why he said it. Not only was Gol D. Roger his biggest rival, he was also a good friend (in a similar fashion to Garp, I would suppose, without the whole I-gotta-lock-you-up facet to the relationship). He understood the actions of Roger on his execution day and was there to witness how vastly different the world had become pre- and post-Pirate Age. [SPOILER]Since he's already going down for the count, he might as well make the best of it to stick it to the World Government for long after he's died.[/SPOILER]

...and speaking of which, I have to agree with Ace on the [SPOILER]thing about turning Whitebeard's corpse into a permanent reminder of how the World Government sucks zombie balls.[/SPOILER] It would be so totally badass that you would need some damn mighty high levels of Haki to even approach the thing, let alone touch it. In good ol' Buggy fashion though, the clown'd take the credit. Seriously, I can see the guy coming out of this as a feared and respected pirate all through pure blunder, mishap, luck and taking credit where it is not due.

Now Luffy's got even more riding on his back though, the poor kid. [SPOILER]Roger, Ace AND Whitebeard? Those are some shoes to fill and memories to honor.[/SPOILER] He can do it though, unlike Teach. I've seen him as a foil to Luffy for a while, but this really cemented it if there were any doubts. To quote Ace from a while back:

[QUOTE][I]Yeah, they pretty much established that Haki lets you touch Logia users back in Shabaody. Which reminds me, Rayleigh is a badass and I want to see more of him. Anyway, Whitebeard of all people should probably have that power. Strongest man in the world and all that.[/I][/QUOTE]

[SPOILER]Eff. Yes. You slice that little punk up. I'm hoping that Teach's arm doesn't fully recover from this... because I just think that'd be an awesome touch.[/SPOILER]

Since we've got that out of the way, I'm curious as to how long it'll take for the shippers to violate [SPOILER]young!Newgate and his familial dreams.[/SPOILER]

Next week can't come soon enough.

[size=1][color=navy]577 spoilers.

[quote=Majin Megabyte @ Toonzone][spoiler]I don't remember the title.
Anyways, just a quickie.
Blackbeard covers up Whitebeard's corpse with a darkness coating,
and reappears with the Gura Gura fruit power stolen from him.
He declares war on World Government and the people of the world, and says from now on, this is MY era!
And that's the end.
Blackbeard says I'll show you the best show in the world! and comes out with Whitebeard captured
After he makes the marines immobile with his darkness, (the one that makes their feet sink into the ground) he then uses the Gura Gura ability!
Also, the marineford HQ is nearly destroyed.
Marines wonder how Blackbeard can use Whitebeard's Gura Gura ability.
Akainu and Aokiji also notices the abnormality, and looks towards Teach
Teach: With the ultimate ability Gura Gura fruit in my possession, I'm invincible!
Then as I said earlier, he declares war, and says From now, this is my Era!
I wonder if he meant Kizaru instead of Akainu.

Akainu is still well and alive.
He appears from the ground, in front of Jinbei, and says I'll say this just once... leave Strawhat behind.
Jinbei says he'll protect him with his life, and then Ivankov arrives, and Deathwinks Akainu away.
Marco wonders if the abnormality of Yami Yami fruit and Teach himself is what allowed him to have two powers.
Whitebeard's body reappearing from the the Darkness Coating (or Darkness Clothes) seems unaffected, looks like Teach just took the fruit.

I think Kizaru was in one panel... and Sengoku
I think they were just staring at Teach while he was having speech and showing off his ability
Aokiji was freezing the sea so the pirates couldn't escape
Buggy was running away crying, saying now I can't even take Whitebeard's head
(but thinking to himself how he was scared of Whitebeard, there's no way he could have gone after his head,
and getting the hell out of there when Blackbeard was absorbing him)
The rest was mostly Blackbeard kicking ***. [/spoiler][/quote]

[spoiler]While Blackbeard eating Whitebeards fruit is indeed great and shocking, I'm more conflicted that almost every single marine is watching him do this, yet they insist on going after Luffy while Blackbeard is doing this.[/spoiler] Yeah, someting is wrong with that picture.[/size][/color]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][spoiler]I don't see the spoilers up on Arlong Park yet, and I'm a little suspicious that Teach can apparently just screw the rules now and eat two fruits without exploding. And yeah, the marines shouldn't be nearly as worried about Dragon's kid anymore now that their former employee just jailbroke the world's most dangerous criminals and is now proceeding to eff up their crap.

If Teach's conviction/current ability allows him to survive ingesting two fruits, Luffy's should be able to, as well. An internal combustion would just inflate him. He should eat Ace's :B

Actually, bad idea. Burning rubber smells terrible.[/spoiler][/FONT]

Uh, yeah, I call shenanigans on the [SPOILER]whole two fruit business[/SPOILER] 'cause, um... [URL="http://onepiece.wikia.com/wiki/Devil_Fruit"]yeah[/URL]... I'm not buying it until I see it with my own eyes... like Luffyko. ._.

Doesn't mean the person in question won't [I]try[/I]... >>'