OtakuBoards

One Piece Manga [Warning: Spoilers]

Tatsubei Yagyu

Yeah i guess ur right.... I"m just antsy cause i don't really want to be in the flashback....

I guess that all of them can find ways back but I have this feeling that each of them is going to grow stronger and more self reliant in the process of returning to the crew. That simple thought is more provacative and interesting to me atm.

True new characters are being intoduced but the "lowlife bandits" they r living with don't seem like they could support an arc or anything like that. Maybe Ace's friend but I have this feeling he's going to die for some odd reason.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I think we're ignoring what is clearly the most important thing about this chapter.

[B][I][SIZE="4"]SIR CROCODILE IS NOW IN CHARGE OF THE HIPPOPOTAMUS MAFIA.[/SIZE][/I][/B]

I mean hot damn, flippin' hippos. Those things can bite you in half if you so much as sneeze in their presence, and Crocodile has gathered a large group of these creatures and formed an organized crime ring with them.

DAYUM.[/FONT]

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]I think we're ignoring what is clearly the most important thing about this chapter.

[B][I][SIZE="4"]SIR CROCODILE IS NOW IN CHARGE OF THE HIPPOPOTAMUS MAFIA.[/SIZE][/I][/B]

I mean hot damn, flippin' hippos. Those things can bite you in half if you so much as sneeze in their presence, and Crocodile has gathered a large group of these creatures and formed an organized crime ring with them.

DAYUM.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

True words of wisdom now that is truly a fierce foe. I like the idea of a backstory it shows how Luffy and Ace became so close considering they didn't know each other for some time. I hope it ends with insanity though something that leaves your jaw dropped.

...and to think, I'm [I]still[/I] liking the flashback. :P I am quite curious as to how Sabo ends up falling out of the picture whether it be by kidnapping, striking out on his own or, in worst case, death.

[quote name='Ace'][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][B][I][SIZE="4"]SIR CROCODILE IS NOW IN CHARGE OF THE HIPPOPOTAMUS MAFIA.[/SIZE][/I][/B][/FONT][/QUOTE]

That's just proving how subtle he is, because, he wants to take and beat men into line while using what's at the top of their children's Christmas lists. It gives the annoying ditty a whole new layer of uncomfortable.

SEE? THIS IS A CHILD'S HAPPINESS. I HEAR YOUR DAUGHTER EMMI WANTS ONE FOR CHRISTMAS. NOW SEE WHAT THAT HAPPINESS DID TO FREDRICO. OH, SO YOU'RE GONNA TURN A BLIND EYE TO OUR BANANA CARTEL? I THOUGHT SO.

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]Even Ikillion is tired of flashbacks.

Just shows you how cruel Oda is with his flashbacks. Everyone is either skeptical or just down right tired of them. I didn't even bother to read the chapter.[/font][/color]

By Thundara you guys like to whine. B( It's honestly making you sound a bit more like bratty ten-year-olds than I'm sure you lot are.

Wait... didn't even read the chapter? Seriously, it's not [I]that bad[/I]. Is there something I'm not getting because this anti-flashback movement sounds like it's a little much. I mean, how can you say that we don't need it until it's either over or we've had some time to let it soak in? It's a flashback, not Oda finally snapping and ending the story in five chapters because he's sick of it. You got through 580+ of these chapters, I'm sure this won't kill anyone--in real-life anyways.

I'd say to ditch the skirts and man up but, well, yeah... there's too many unfortunate implications with that. Try being constructive or objective or something other than whiny. Please? The fun of the thread's being sucked out otherwise.

[quote name='Nehszriah']By Thundara you guys like to whine. B( It's honestly making you sound a bit more like bratty ten-year-olds than I'm sure you lot are.

Wait... didn't even read the chapter? Seriously, it's not [I]that bad[/I]. Is there something I'm not getting because this anti-flashback movement sounds like it's a little much. I mean, how can you say that we don't need it until it's either over or we've had some time to let it soak in? It's a flashback, not Oda finally snapping and ending the story in five chapters because he's sick of it. You got through 580+ of these chapters, I'm sure this won't kill anyone--in real-life anyways.

I'd say to ditch the skirts and man up but, well, yeah... there's too many unfortunate implications with that. Try being constructive or objective or something other than whiny. Please? The fun of the thread's being sucked out otherwise.[/QUOTE]

[font=franklin gothic medium][color=darkred]Wow, Nehs, you make it sound as if we're calling One Piece bad. (I don't think anyone's dismissing the series because of the flashbacks) I'm pretty certain no one is saying that flashback chapters aren't needed. I can't speak for everyone, but for me, it's Oda's execution. Just like his fights (none of his recent fights), his flashbacks drags out far too long. When they drag on I get tired of them, and I, for one don't want to read 15+ chapters that only contains flashbacks.

Yes I made it through 580+ chapters, but do you know how I made it through? By skipping those flashback chapters. (I think the only flashback story I actually read was Sanji's) I'm not exactly the biggest One Piece supporter. If I had read them I would've dropped One Piece a long time ago, so if I were you I'd be happy that I do skip them.

As Ace mentioned, the Naruto (and Bleach) thread would [b]NOT[/b] be as active/fun as it is right now if it weren't for the negative/whiny comments. (Do you really believe those threads are striving because it's filled with "OH THAT'S EPIC" remarks alone?) So lets not act like them other fans that get all defensive just because only a select few people don't care to read or talk bad about flashbacks. (Of all things... They're not even worth defending if you ask me, but whatever) OB is better than that.

But to be fair, I suppose I won't comment in this thread until the flashbacks are over. (Lets see how long that will be)

[size=1][strike]Now if you don't mind, I rather like to keep my skirt and not read them flashbacks :D[/strike][/size] "Off to continue reading Fullmetal Alchemist"[/font][/color]

[quote name='Ace'][font="Comic Sans MS"]Nehs, if we did that the Naruto thread would cease to be any fun at all.[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]As for me, I don't mind the flashback so much. A couple steps down from the nonstop insanity of Marineford, but I'm not bored by it. At the very least, I think Sabo is kinda cool.[/font]

[font="Comic Sans MS"]BUT SERIOUSLY HIPPO MAFIA.[/font][/quote]

I agree with u Ace. After the crazy stuff that when on at Marineford this just seems so ho hum that it's lackluster. During the escape from Imperal Down and the Fight at Marineford I checked everyday to see if there was a new episode (I was a little nutty) and now I'll check a couple times a week if that....

Also, Hippo True Mafia for Life or (HTML for short)

--

So I have to admit that this chapter was more interesting than the last couple. It actually makes Sado an important person and gives him ties to 2 of the greatest pirates ever. I wonder if they are going to try and save him or if they give up on him...

I also wonder if Luffy will end up trying to find Sado to tell him Ace is dead...

Flashback might be picking up a little Edited by Ikillion

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='Ikillion' date='01 June 2010 - 10:59 PM' timestamp='1275447558' post='694202']
[font="Trebuchet MS"]$10 says that Sado is either the revolutionary that rescued Robin from that slave island, or is Doflamingo. The guy had a styliln' fro back in the day.[/font]
[/quote]

I don't think Sado is Doflamigo. However the appearance of Dragon at the end of that chapter is interesting (i'm bettin Ivan san also show up....)

[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, either the flashback's over or it'll be over soon.

[spoiler]Personally, I'm willing to bet that Sabo is still alive. Either Dragon somehow got involved and saved him or he snuck on the Noble's ship and stowed away until he could get back to a port and join a crew. If so, he'll probably reenter the series before too long and help Luffy reboot from his Critical Hero Error.[/spoiler][/font]

[quote name='gallowsCalibrator' date='09 June 2010 - 04:15 PM' timestamp='1276114503' post='694959']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]Well, either the flashback's over or it'll be over soon.

[spoiler]Personally, I'm willing to bet that Sabo is still alive. Either Dragon somehow got involved and saved him or he snuck on the Noble's ship and stowed away until he could get back to a port and join a crew. If so, he'll probably reenter the series before too long and help Luffy reboot from his Critical Hero Error.[/spoiler][/font]
[/quote]

Thank god....... I finally understand the point of the backstory and it's to introduce Sado. (I agree that he is going to come back into the series to find Luffy ) I also just had a shocking thought. [spoiler] Could Sado be Law??? He's helped Luffy without hesitation and also has the same goal as him... Plus they both have very similar hats [/spoiler]

I haven't figured out how to post images on this new site otherwise I put up pics of both [spoiler] Sado and Law [/spoiler] to help compare them

[quote name='rotlung' date='09 June 2010 - 02:04 PM' timestamp='1276117487' post='694961']
Thank god....... I finally understand the point of the backstory and it's to introduce Sado. (I agree that he is going to come back into the series to find Luffy ) I also just had a shocking thought. [spoiler] Could Sado be Law??? He's helped Luffy without hesitation and also has the same goal as him... Plus they both have very similar hats [/spoiler]
[/quote]
[font="Comic Sans MS"]That's a pretty interesting theory, actually, yeah. I can see it happening, all it requires is for [spoiler]Law to have dyed his hair[/spoiler].

Another thought I just had is that [spoiler]Sado might be Eustass Kidd, since they share the same hair color, they have the same style of goggles, and they both have a deep and passionate hatred of the higher class. Then again, Kidd's hair isn't as curly as Sado's.[/spoiler] I'd say the odds are about even of either one being the truth, though it's probably more likely that we just haven't seen him in the present day yet.[/font]

[quote name='gallowsCalibrator' date='10 June 2010 - 10:18 AM' timestamp='1276118331' post='694962']
[font="Comic Sans MS"]That's a pretty interesting theory, actually, yeah. I can see it happening, all it requires is for [spoiler]Law to have dyed his hair[/spoiler].
[/quote]

Which is understandable, given [spoiler] Sabo's need (at least in earlier years) to escape his father, who is determined to bring him back every time. A change of hair color and a new identity, it would also explain why Luffy doesn't click that Law is Sabo.[/spoiler]

I like that one, as well as the [spoiler] Dofla-Sabo theory[/spoiler] Either of them could be the case, although I agree we porbably just haven't seen him yet.

[quote name='Shinje' date='09 June 2010 - 08:28 PM' timestamp='1276129688' post='694973']
Which is understandable, given [spoiler] Sabo's need (at least in earlier years) to escape his father, who is determined to bring him back every time. A change of hair color and a new identity, it would also explain why Luffy doesn't click that Law is Sabo.[/spoiler]

I like that one, as well as the [spoiler] Dofla-Sabo theory[/spoiler] Either of them could be the case, although I agree we porbably just haven't seen him yet.
[/quote]

Well the Kidd theroy doesn't fit his personallity..... Kidd is ruthless and uncaring. Law is much more methodical and seems to be on Sado's lvl of intellect. (Law a Doctor pirate after all)

[quote name='rotlung' date='12 June 2010 - 09:57 AM' timestamp='1276289850' post='695095']
Well the Kidd theroy doesn't fit his personallity..... Kidd is ruthless and uncaring. Law is much more methodical and seems to be on Sado's lvl of intellect. (Law a Doctor pirate after all)
[/quote]

Depends on what his life experience is throughout the next 20 years though. His entire ideology could change, or be changed by the people he encounters, which would make the Kidd theory, or even the Doflamingo theory, somewhat plausible.

[spoiler] I've read the latest chapter, it looks pretty conclusive that Sabo is dead, but I'm keeping great escapes from the past such as Pell, who I was certain had died, in mind. Part of me is skeptical, the big question would be; If Sabo really died, why doesn't Luffy ever mention him to his crew? Surely Sabo'd death at the hands of the world government would have been a major influence on Luffy's life, to go to sea and become a pirate. It just seems odd that he would never mention him, unless the pain of his loss is to great ro something like that.[/spoiler] Edited by Shinje

I didn't really read the chapter. I read the last page, and it looks like this set of flashbacks is coming to an end, yes? (Not trying to sound like a broken record or anything) At least that's how it seems but then again I can see Oda going into another set of flashbacks showing them when Ace and Luffy were a little older. (I'll probably read that batch if it were to happen)

[quote name='Magus' date='15 June 2010 - 10:23 PM' timestamp='1276593805' post='695326']
I didn't really read the chapter. I read the last page, and it looks like this set of flashbacks is coming to an end, yes? (Not trying to sound like a broken record or anything) At least that's how it seems but then again I can see Oda going into another set of flashbacks showing them when Ace and Luffy were a little older. (I'll probably read that batch if it were to happen)
[/quote]

I think you're on the right track. There really isn't much point in exploring the flashback any further given the major event in the last one. There's only so much backstory exposition you can get away with before your audience tires of it. I'm sure there are many fans who just want to see the [spoiler] crew re-unite and onwards to Fishman Island![/spoiler]

I won't read another set of flashbacks, even if Oda forwards it to their teen years. I get it, I get it, Luffy and Ace were inseparable. Heck, I understood that even before [spoiler] the tragic turn of events at Marineford.[/spoiler]

Sado? I thought the kid's name is Sabo?

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the matter...

Although these are under a few assumptions:
1. [spoiler]Sabo either dies, or as far as Luffy knows, is dead.[/spoiler]
2. [spoiler]His death had a great impact on them then, due to them being brothers and all...[/spoiler]

Now, from what I am seeing, I think the importance of this arc is Oda is strengthening Luffy's ideals on his view of his nakama, as well as how heavy of a burden [spoiler] Ace's death [/spoiler] is on him.

As I have said, if [spoiler]Sabo died in this arc or did as far as Luffy knows[/spoiler], then imagine how hard it would be on Luffy if [spoiler]his only remaining "Brother" died as well, while protecting him... Sure, we know Ace and Luffy were close, but if he lost "another brother" then, that has got to be a much, much heavier blow to him, right?[/spoiler]

[quote name='jomz' date='19 June 2010 - 12:49 AM' timestamp='1276922988' post='695582']
Sado? I thought the kid's name is Sabo?

Anyway, here are my thoughts on the matter...

Although these are under a few assumptions:
1. [spoiler]Sabo either dies, or as far as Luffy knows, is dead.[/spoiler]
2. [spoiler]His death had a great impact on them then, due to them being brothers and all...[/spoiler]

Now, from what I am seeing, I think the importance of this arc is Oda is strengthening Luffy's ideals on his view of his nakama, as well as how heavy of a burden [spoiler] Ace's death [/spoiler] is on him.

As I have said, if [spoiler]Sabo died in this arc or did as far as Luffy knows[/spoiler], then imagine how hard it would be on Luffy if [spoiler]his only remaining "Brother" died as well, while protecting him... Sure, we know Ace and Luffy were close, but if he lost "another brother" then, that has got to be a much, much heavier blow to him, right?[/spoiler]
[/quote]

Idk..... Losing a brother when ur weak and helpless would have a completely differant effect vs losing a brother you did everything u possible could to protect.

I once again stress the importance of this whole flashback was to introduce Sabo. That mean he's coming back in my mind hands down. It doesn't matter if it is as a character we already know or as himself. I have a feeling Sabo will be important in the New World

So i think I was wrong about this whole flashback..... It basically wanted to show the training Luffy had as a kid. Then show how he always thought of Sabo and Ace as being stronger than him. This is either going to have him go into some crazy training or he's just going to start second guessing himself.