OtakuBoards

MySpace

Pumpkin

I know alot of people on this sight probably have a myspace, I do, but I decided to post something to discuss some of the horrors of the sight. Almost everyone I know, has a different age on theirs, it's almost asking for idenity problems. You know, old men saying thier 16 and stuff. Plus, it's not that well sensored. Two girls from my old middle school are a good example. They took pictures of themselves naked and posted them on Myspace. I'm just saying, that site has a lot of horrors. there all over the news, yet teens and adults and kids have myspaces still. So, I just wanna know your thoughts on this topic, so discuss!

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[FONT=Century Gothic] [COLOR=DarkOrange]I don't blame the site at all. I blame the parents of the stupid kids taking pictures of themselves and giving away too much information. It is the jobs of the parents to teach their kids about safety on the internet. Not to give away information, not to take naked pictures of themselves. It's really ridiculous. Parents need to take responsibility and get involved in their kid's lives.

It's as simple as that.

[/COLOR] [/FONT]

[color=dimgray] Actually, my high school recently went through a very [URL=http://www.11alive.com/news/news_article.aspx?storyid=77412]gossip-prone event[/URL] dealing with Myspace. A guy in my grade (sophomore) had written a 'hit list' on myspace, saying he'd bring a gun to school on April 20th and shoot these people. A lot of people sort of ignored it, but one of my friends was on the list (as well as people I knew), and obviously many were concerned. The police were notified and he was arrested not long after. Our high school is on wikipedia now, [URL=http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Centennial_High_School_(Roswell,_Georgia)]for God's sake[/URL]. I find it slightly funny, despite the situation.

As for the 'horrors'... I think that happens with all large websites. Myspace just happens to be the biggest, so there are more frequent occurences. [/color]

[FONT=Georgia]I agree, it's not the website's fault; it's the idiots' fault! My mother taught me proper ways to stay safe on the internet. Post pictures of yourself naked of course will not attract nice people :rolleyes: I actually find Myspace a very safe site if you use it right; only friends can comment on you and such, and all my friends are people I actually [b]know[/b] in real life. So I don't have to worry about my safety.

As said, guns don't kill people, people do.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1][FONT=Lucida Sans Unicode]Not only is it the job of the parents to protect their children, it's up to the kids themselves to not be idiots about it. For instance, don't link your high school's website to your MySpace if you don't want to be hunted down and raped/murdered. It's the same for chat rooms, and, well, it's the same for everyday life.

Personally, I think MySpace should be taken off the web, since it's painfully obvious that we as a whole cannot protect or censor ourselves. And the option that makes it so only your friends can vieew your site? What's to say some perv' from your home town won't make a name that impersonates one of your friends and just steal a picture off their site? It's insanity.[/FONT][/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]What of Xanga? Bolt? LiveJournal? And whatever Syk3 and QA go on about...some kind of notebook?

They all have their quirks. I'm not condoning MySpace. There are a lot of irresponsible and very annoying people on there.[/COLOR]

[FONT=Trebuchet MS][SIZE=1]myspace is like a cigarette. it's addicting and you only quit it when you realize how bad it is for you. i gave up on myspace. true...i was a totally myspace freak and i was on every day. when myspace came up on the news my dad started pestering me about it so much, but i still used it.

but now not anymore. myspace was a nice way to customize your page and chat with friends, but now it's all just ridiculous. recently i completely pissed off my friends (ironically, i pissed them off through myspace) and now most of them have abandoned me. but it gave me time to think about things, and now i realize how much of an internet clique myspace is. everytime i went to my "friends" myspaces, i'd hear this one song they all supposedly like and it annoyed the hell out of me.

my point, i wouldn't blame someone for wanting to hurt a certain someone(s), but pretty stupid of them to post a bulletin on myspace about it. and now, myspace is full of idiot 12-year-olds and creepy pedophiles. i know better than to post stupid pictures of me on myspace, and i never added anyone i didn't know (except for one person).

there is only one thing i like about myspace. this one guy i know who goes to my school has a music-myspace, and [U]i think[/U] he's the guy who sang the myspace song (not the song titled "The MySpace Song", but it's called "[URL=http://www.myspace.com/tonyxposed ]Yeah *****, Myspace[/URL]"). although i'm still not sure. it's real funny tho. and he's funny too =][/SIZE][/FONT]

[font=Trebuchet MS][quote name='Zhara][/font][size=1][font=Lucida Sans Unicode] Personally, I think MySpace should be taken off the web, since it's painfully obvious that we as a whole cannot protect or censor ourselves.[/font][/size'][font=Trebuchet MS][/quote] Hey, freedom of speech, yo. Let's not start screaming censorship because a few people post naked photos - kick them off the site maybe, but pull the whole thing off the Infraweb and you lose loads of amateur bands' websites, not to mention the millions of people who use the site properly. Reactionary behaviour like this spoils everything for the majority, just because of the few who are abusing the services.

For the record, I was peer-pressured into starting an account, which I now never go on. So I'm not defending the place because I'm addicted, just because I think "it should be taken off the web" is a massive overreaction.

.:EDIT:.
I'm merging this thread with the existing (recently resurrected, grr) MySpace thread to make a thread in which any and all discussion of MySpace is green for go.
[/font]

I'm pretty much using the site to keep up with local bands and stuff and find out about shows. I have a myspace with a little over 200 friends. Half of those are good bands and stuff and the other half being only people I know.
I love it how the press and news have been coming up with articles about how evil this site is. I remember back when there was one emo kid on there who killed himself and myspace tried to cover it up. Another site called YTMND totally made fun of it.

I also use it because I'm trying to keep the few fans I have updated with the status of my band.

Honestly, it's becoming the McDonalds/Wal-Mart of blog spaces on the internet in my opinion.

[SIZE=1]I thought I would post an update on my thoughts about Myspace. Each passing day seems wasted to me, as I go inside my college library and see all the computers taken up not by students actually looking for research but wasting their time inbetween classes on myspace. It's become this craze that has kept people from actually getting out and hanging out with their friends, instead they want to be lazy and just post comments.

Its kind of sickening in a way, it's obviously some kind of internet popularity contest. For now, I keep myspace for people that I've become friends with and friends that I know IRL only. Other then that, I try and not waste my time with it. It didn't hit me until someone had told me that they went on it everyday, and once I had time to hang out with my friends I realized it was much better then just sitting on a computer talking with them. If you have a myspace, be sure to take a break every once in awhile, it seriously can suck out whatever life you have . I only wish I were joking lol. [/SIZE]

[size=1]I guess I don't understand everyone who's railing on MySpace, whining about how it's a popularity contest or how it's a complete waste of time.

I personally find it fun in a way that Xanga never was -- it's much more interactive and community-based instead of just reading someone's angst-ridden blog entries, or writing your own for that matter.

I have a theory that when things get really popular, it becomes cool to hate it. It's happening with iPods in my school, and I suppose there's an anti-MySpace following now. I don't really see what there's to hate about it ... so what if people only add friends to have more than others? Why not be content with interacting with friends, as well as potential friends? I can totally understand if it's just not your cup of tea, but there's no sense in railing on it just because.[/size]

[QUOTE=Retribution][size=1]I guess I don't understand everyone who's railing on MySpace, whining about how it's a popularity contest or how it's a complete waste of time.

I personally find it fun in a way that Xanga never was -- it's much more interactive and community-based instead of just reading someone's angst-ridden blog entries, or writing your own for that matter.

I have a theory that when things get really popular, it becomes cool to hate it. It's happening with iPods in my school, and I suppose there's an anti-MySpace following now. I don't really see what there's to hate about it ... so what if people only add friends to have more than others? Why not be content with interacting with friends, as well as potential friends? I can totally understand if it's just not your cup of tea, but there's no sense in railing on it just because.[/size][/QUOTE][SIZE=1]I don't think that I was "railing" on it, and no I didn't say that there was anything wrong WITH myspace itself. Infact, I like finding out people I know IRL have a myspace and adding friends. It's just some of the people who have become addicted to it that truely bother me. I guess it's an alternate now for AIM and Cellphones. Only its even less attachment to a person. For me, it feels as if our community is growing further then coming together, but that's just my opinion. It could feel differently to someone else.

I like its perks and yes I do like to use myspace, its when it gets to the point that thats ALL anyone wants to do. When you use myspace as an escape from real life and actually never see your friends that bug me. And believe me, you might think it sounds ridiculous but there is truth to this. When it's all someone does all day instead of being with their friends IRL, yeah well, that's pretty sad. [/SIZE]

Ya myspace it has some cool things about it. I go on there quit a bit i guess. But I hate how it alwyas has something wrong with it. It's cool as long as you use it in a good way and don't be stupid about it. Just like anything on the copm I guess. It's fun. But after awhile it gets boring so i 'm not on there for long periods of time. uaully i try not to stay on the copm that long anytime. But ya I've met some cool people, foudn frins on there, and become reauianted with old friends too. So it's pretty cool.

[url=www.myspace.com/nateskatesgreat]Yep. I have one.[/url]

I love being on it-everybody i know has one.
The main problem is talking to random strangers. I solve that by only having people I know from school on my friend list, and of course bands and companies.

Myspace introduced me to my second favorite band ever, The Pink Spiders. For that i owe MySpace alot, because they are awesome.

I also use it to keep up with my g/f when we are away-even if we miss each other on AIM we can still talk through MySpace messages.

My favorite thing about MySpace is the bullitens. I am one of a few that actually read almost every bulliten that gets posted, and i repost most chain ones just for fun, even though i dont' believe them.

My most hated thing? I have to actually remember my old HTML skills. boo..>_>

Nate

Sadly I have one as well.

And let me tell you, it can get quite addicting, refreshing every so often to check if you have a new message, comment, or whatever. (And yes don't lie, we've all done it) :) But anyways the only problem I have with it, is the fact that it is SO easy to crash. Me and my friend actually did it a couple times just by pinging the IP address a bunch of times. Good stuff but there needs to be some stuff in there to protect it.

[COLOR=#503F86]I think one of the most convenient things about MySpace is the fact that you don't really have to do all the hard work to get the site looking good. All the information you want to display is there and all the controls you could want are right there on the site, and it's as customiseable as anything, but in a way that I've found more comprehensive and accessible than any other diary site I've been part of.

And I'm mainly on it for the friends I don't get to see very often. And although I don't write anything particularly interesting in the blog (it's mostly just quizzes and things) and hardly anyone ever comments, there is something satisfying about it. Must be the Bulletins.[/COLOR]

I do not like Myspace mainly because of all of the unwanted adware my little sister downloads onto the computer every time she logs on to it.

I have tried it out to see what all the hype is about and to me it really is no different than xanga or livejournal (other than a few added features. Big whoop.).

Personally I prefer to call my friends or leave them a text message rather than using Myspace. It was kind of annoying how so many people were trying to add me who didn't share any of my interests at all. Most of them were just trying to up their number of buddies. ><;

[COLOR=DarkRed]I do not like MySpace much anymore because I had a guy I never knew message me and tell me he thought I was hot and wanted to have sex with me. I'd rather deal with obsessed DBZ fans than those kind of people anyday.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Japan_86][COLOR=DarkRed']I do not like MySpace much anymore because I had a guy I never knew message me and tell me he thought I was hot and wanted to have sex with me. I'd rather deal with obsessed DBZ fans than those kind of people anyday.[/COLOR][/quote]

[size=1]That's why there's a "block user" option.

I really don't mind MySpace, until something gets screwed up in the coding and it dicks everything up. *shrug* Other than that, it's a pretty nifty site. I was able to get back in touch with friends who I hadn't spoken with in over four years.[/size]

I don't have a myspace account. I probably never will. Myspace is stupid to me. Why have your own little space on the internet that you aren't really going to you to some advantage in real life?

I don't see the reason for someone to go there and be happy with there life because they are obbesed.

There is not a reason for me to go there. Perhaps to see how stupid people can get. Besided that, there isn't a reason for me to go.

I don't have anything besideds a myO I don't expect anything to happen there. I don't expect to meet someone there I can help. It is that easy. I can't really help any one in the act of making a account. I like making people happy, joyful. But I can't make a myspace account and make that happen.

Thanks for your time,

David

Myspace is fun. I enjoy it. I dont do all the stupid, friend whore crap, or the overly/interactive page. I like changin pictures a few times, but i use it as a way to keep up with the family when i'm on deployment and i can't get to yahoo for e-mail.

• 3 weeks later...
I don't use MySpace because the layout just seems annoying. Of course, there's also the emos, but they're always good for a laugh.

Anyone seen that "MySpace: The Movie" by David Lehre? Hehehe. Funny.

[FONT=Times New Roman][SIZE=1][STRIKE][COLOR=Red]well through my eyes i see that myspace is a horrid bug that almost everyone i know has contracted. most of the kids at school have it, and when i tell them i dont have one....well watch, this is what happened during math class:

Girl: hey Mr. Fury, do you have myspace?
Fury: <_<....uh, hi kris, no i dont actually.
Kris: omfg, angel did you hear that?!
Angel: Leon, why dont have a myspace?
Fury: because, it's mainstream.....>_>
Kris: what's mainstream?
Fury: :animeangr omyfuingawd, kristina, you have to expose yourself to more music. it basically means that everyone likes it.
Angel: well why dont you have one?
Fury: because, they have: pedos, emos, posers, etc.
*Fury continues to go down the list of flaws he has seen from myspace*
*kristina and angel inform the rest of the class that Mr.Fury doesnt have myspace, the rest of the class becomes alarmed and begin to beg him to get one*
Fury: woah. since when is a URL server a neccessity? -_____________-'

im never getting one, i find myO easier to manage, cos there are people here that share the same intrest: art, wheather it be in anime or video games, music, and other mediums of media.

tomorrow i bet the cheerleaders will try to get me to get one. :animesigh better prepare for that one.

thank you for your time.[/FONT][/COLOR][/STRIKE]

Let a year or so since, that post pass...and to my disbelief I now have one.

I really dont log in much, I just use it to keep tabs with my friends overseas, my older brother, and local friends.

you can find me [URL=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=77896073]here[/URL] but my profile is set to private. have fun trying to find a way in [really obvious][/SIZE]

[SIZE=1]MySpace, or EmoSpazz as I've come to call it, is a Blight of the internet and must be purged. The number of times people have talked about it at college and get just slightly worked up about it..."Oh has so many friends!" "Look at all my comments!" "You such a friend whore" (what ever the hell that means). Even when our college blocked the site over the holidays for "Mature Content", they actually looked for proxy avoidance sites to continue acessing it.

I admit that I had an EmoSpazz account many moons ago, and I'm not proud of it. It eventually stuck me that it was just a faster way to tell peolpe that I'm not exactly what you would call 'normal', and I have since abandoned it on an IP far far away.

Best Decision. Ever.[/SIZE]