OtakuBoards

MySpace

Pumpkin

[quote name='John']Myspace is an anachronism in the present-day internet. It throws out all the design tricks and aesthetics developed during the past half decade in exchange for hideous, cluttered page layouts that look to be ripped out of 1997, unleashes the horrible demon of auto-start music that had been caged for so long before, does absolutely nothing to promote organization or community amongst its members, has awful page loadtimes, and is owned and operated by a spam company. This last point provides the only reason that it managed to scrounge to the top of the social networking dogpile in the first place.[/quote]

Come to think of it, Myspace is kind of a badly made site. One of my friends showed me her Myspace and her Msn site. The Msn one did look a lot prettier. Not that i'm going to make a Msn account either (same views i have apply to it as Myspace).

• Replies 100
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Retribution][size=1']I never understood why people were so opinionated on the issue. As if MySpace had some detrimental affect on their lives.[/size][/quote] It has a detrimental effect on the internet and its relationship with society.

[quote name='John']It has a detrimental effect on the internet and its relationship with society.[/quote]

[SIZE=1]But...only if you actually go to the site and it's profiles, right? So then there's no harm! =p

I didn't want to get a MySpace for a while, but it's easier to leave messages to friends about concerts or parties this way if we can't get hold of each other. I don't visit too often, but it can be fun. No harm in it unless you're the type to post half-naked pictures of yourself.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I personally have no interest in joining myspace, but I?m not necessarily against it either. Usually most of the problems I hear about are a case of the person using the service being an idiot. Not something that myspace actually did. What ever floats your boat I guess. As often as I actually use a blog, myOtaku suits my needs just fine. [/COLOR]

For or against? Can?t see a reason why I would be against it, after all it?s not like someone is forcing me to join. In fact I don?t have an account at myspace. I?m really not into that sort of thing and even the myO account I have is rarely used.

The only reason I even know about it is due to several kidnapping cases that were on the news here in Salt Lake City, Utah during the past year. Because the stupid kids put enough information on their myspace accounts that the kidnapper used it to find them.

I can hardly be against a website for that since they didn?t make them put such personal information up on their page, they did it all by themselves. Not very bright, and since they were underage, sounds like either their parents didn?t do a good job of telling them the dangers, or they ignored it and put the info up anyway.

A few good posts have been made here and i thank you all. I would close this thread if i knew how, because well i didn't know there was already a five-paged thread on Myspace in the pc/mac forums. Again nice posts such as:[quote name='Retribution][size=1']I never understood why people were so opinionated on the issue. As if MySpace had some detrimental affect on their lives.[/size][/quote] which is pretty deep.

Fill free to pm me to help me get my thread off. thanks.
[COLOR=DarkRed][SIZE=1][INDENT]Actually it's a simple matter to just merge the two threads together like I just did instead of closing it. ;) ~indifference[/INDENT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Red']Haha. Don't get users mixed up with the sites they use![/quote] But the users [i]do[/i] get mixed up with the sites they use. How a site and its userbase are established, managed, and related to has a direct relationship with how the users behave around the site. And when the site is like Myspace and revolves around social networking and commmunication, usually with people you know in real life, it even affects how you relate to those people.

And it's run by terrorist factions too. Forgot about that part.

[QUOTE=John]But the users [i]do[/i] get mixed up with the sites they use. How a site and its userbase are established, managed, and related to has a direct relationship with how the users behave around the site. And when the site is like Myspace and revolves around social networking and commmunication, usually with people you know in real life, it even affects how you relate to those people.

And it's run by terrorist factions too. Forgot about that part.[/QUOTE]

But what about: "It has a detrimental effect on the internet and its relationship with society."

How is that?

[QUOTE=Red]But what about: "It has a detrimental effect on the internet and its relationship with society."

How is that?[/QUOTE] Because the internet is associated with younger generations, and younger generations on the internet are associated with Myspace (both general but still existant and somewhat true perceptions). So since the general userbase is influenced by the site itself, and Myspace is (strongly) connected to society's perception of the internet as a whole via the younger generation, Myspace dictates much of society's perception of the internet. I've already told how the impression that it gives off is a bad one, but even if I hadn't, the lambasting of it--or quiet disdain at the least--in the popular media that we see every several news stories says enough.

• 3 weeks later...
[quote name='John']Because the internet is associated with younger generations, and younger generations on the internet are associated with Myspace (both general but still existant and somewhat true perceptions). So since the general userbase is influenced by the site itself, and Myspace is (strongly) connected to society's perception of the internet as a whole via the younger generation, Myspace dictates much of society's perception of the internet. I've already told how the impression that it gives off is a bad one, but even if I hadn't, the lambasting of it--or quiet disdain at the least--in the popular media that we see every several news stories says enough.[/quote]

This is just generalised gibberish. Or your opinion. Either way it has no foundation in fact, beyond the correct point that the media quite often lay into myspace when something 'socially unacceptable' happens there. As they do games, violent movies, music; rather than the parent who is doing a poor job, or the person who just has a few screws loose.

To say it has a detrimental effect on society or "dictates society's opinion on the internet" is beyond silly. Rather, it highlights what is already wrong by giving people yet another open, easily accessible and mass connected place to express themselves. Even then, one man's dirty shack is another man's palace - so what I consider wrong by stating the above could seem perfectly acceptable to another group.

Also, please remember that myspace was launched in 2003... far from when the popularity of the internet skyrocketed. If a group of people can't read between the lines in sensationalist media, then there's no doubt myspace will contribute to their opinion (mentioning society as a whole entity is treading on thin ice considering the degree that opinions vary, isn't it?). But it's a country mile from what you make it out to be, since there's plenty else for them to go on and oodles of other stories and supposedly morally questionable things from the internet.

Hope that made sense, it was hard to interpret and respond to what you'd written.

[quote name='Red']To say it has a detrimental effect on society or "dictates society's opinion on the internet" is beyond silly. Rather, it highlights what is already wrong by giving people yet another open, easily accessible and mass connected place to express themselves. Even then, one man's dirty shack is another man's palace - so what I consider wrong by stating the above could seem perfectly acceptable to another group.[/quote]Actually such a statement isn't silly at all. There's a certain amount of perception that the general public has about places like myspace and a lot of it is taken from what people see in the media and on the news. Especially for those people who are not members of the site. How many times have you heard someone bad mouth something and yet their only source was a snippet in the papper or the news? How many of them actually take the time to look into whether or not something actually is bad? [QUOTE=Red]Also, please remember that myspace was launched in 2003... far from when the popularity of the internet skyrocketed. If a group of people can't read between the lines in sensationalist media, then there's no doubt myspace will contribute to their opinion (mentioning society as a whole entity is treading on thin ice considering the degree that opinions vary, isn't it?). But it's a country mile from what you make it out to be, since there's plenty else for them to go on and oodles of other stories and supposedly morally questionable things from the internet.

Hope that made sense, it was hard to interpret and respond to what you'd written.[/QUOTE]You've kind of missed the point, most parents and people who don't have a myspace account either don't know or don't care when myspace was launched. What they do care about, to give an example, is the news report done here in Salt Lake City last year about a teenager who was kidnapped and that the kidnapper found her due to the information on her myspace account. The news does give a generalized statement on how it's important to not put such information on your profile, but it still gives the impression that myspace is nothing but a hangout for predators. And as you so aptly put it: [quote name='Red']This is just generalised gibberish. Or your opinion. Either way it has no foundation in fact, beyond the correct point that the media quite often lay into myspace when something 'socially unacceptable' happens there. As they do games, violent movies, music; rather than the parent who is doing a poor job, or the person who just has a few screws loose.[/quote]It?s not uncommon for the blame to be placed elsewhere instead of where it truly belongs. So it?s not complete gibberish but instead a fairly accurate observation of how people mistakenly assume a place like myspace is a representation of the Internet in general. The real gibberish is those people who are dumb enough to believe what they hear instead of looking into it and finding out for themselves just what the Internet really is, and myspace is just one tiny little part, that unfortunately gets media coverage instead of some of the more impressive things you can find online.

So in the end myspace has a detrimental affect on society, though it's not of their own doing as society has willingly accepted the label that has been placed on them.

• 2 weeks later...
Okay, I'll throw in my opinion:
Maysapce is just another site for losers who don't have a life and should be hanging out with their real life friends.
That being said, yes, I do have one and I visit it every day at least 3 times a day. (even more on weekends) :catgirl:
How the heck are they so darn successful? I don't know. I can't even tell you why I go there most of the time. I sort of got into the whole blogging thing when I was in JR. High with Xanga... And then I moved to Myspace. I like them because I can write. (which is the reason that I joined OB)
I mean, let's face it: Myspace has it all; Hot girls, (even if they are fake or simply models posted by some imposter) music of all kinds, (I usually change my profile song every week) and videos galore with the new aspect the sit just added. It kinda makes it like a hybrid of Youtube and Facebook, but that's a whole different story... :cool:
And yeah, I guess it is some sort of popularity contest, (although about 20 of my friends are bands just so I don't have to search for their sites) However, the only people I actually talk to are those in my top 8. (Which is a popularity contest in itself) The others are just close friends and family. In fact, just to make me feel better about myself. When I get about 80 friends, I like to go through and delete everybody that-
A)I don't know
B)I never talk to
C)Is annoying
That way, everyone will be like, "What the heck!" because I'm so nerdy, and most wouldn't expect the nerd to delete ultra-jock (Hey that's a cool superhero name) That's just how I roll! ;)
But most importantly, myspace lets you customize your profile. As some say, that's not always a good thing and those few should be shot when they make flashy sites that I can't read because of my epilepsy. (I don't really have it, but I do wig out) But I'm generally very talented with basic photoshop and HTML code, so I love making my own profiles! :D
I guess myspace is for people like me and not for others... However, I don't think it will be a phase; it'll stick foreva!!! :p Unless something better comes along. (which, BTW, I can seriously debate over which blogging site is better for a long long long time) All the music on myspace ensures that for good, and with the new bands jumping on the bandwagon, (No pun intended) it's just gonna grow and grow with all the teeny-bopper girls (and in some cases guys) who want a chance to chat with their favorite artists! What they don't realize is that they're either talking to an imposter or they band's publicist 98% of the time. THAT'S WHERE MYSPACE'S SUCCESS COMES FROM!!!

*EDIT*
[QUOTE=animehazel]I have myspace, it's not as bad as everyone makes out because you can 1. not add people to freinds if you don't want to talk to people. 2. delete people if you don't want to talk to them. 3. flag people who rarely spam you with 'buy this from my website'

Myspace is only 'emo' to you if you add those kind of people to your profile. There are c.80 million profiles there, they can't all be idiots.[/QUOTE]

I totally agree with you about this! AND, for all the people who think that putting your info up is dangerous and all that jazz, there's also the fact that you can make your site private... In fact, you have to be at least 16 before you ever have the option to change you site to public! I was mad when I found that out, but I've gotten over since I'm of age now. So when people are harmed because of their own stupidity, it shouldn't be taken out on the website. Consider the person or (in the case of children) their family who doesn't warn them!

[URL=http://www.myspace.com/tomorrow_is_4ever_away]Here's my Myspace Site![/URL]

I know a child molester when i see it =\. I don't need to be supervised for someone else's doing.

Anyways, MySpace is a great way to contact your friends, through bullitens/messages and stuff. The fact that everyone basically has one makes this so much easier.

However, I hate people who still believe in Chain Mails and spam them on the bulliten =\.

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Comic Sans MS]I don't care what anyone says, I'm happy with MySpace.

A long while back, I had the idea that maybe, since I moved schools one year, I could regain contact with my old friends, since "Everybody use MySpace."

And guess what? It actually worked. One random day, a friend of mine I haven't seen in 6 years found my page, and asked if I was who he thought I was.

I don't even have an actual picture of myself on there. ;) [/FONT][/COLOR]

• 2 weeks later...
Guest jamescooper
But then again, we can't stop the rise of [URL=http://www.profilepitstop.com/articles/myspace/identity-theft-and-myspace-phishing.php]myspace phishing[/URL], which caused Myspace to be somehow unsafe to its users. Added to that, there seems to be no absolute control when it comes to sexual cybercrimes born out of myspace.

Personally, I can't stand MySpace. I just can't understand what kind of kicks people get out of it by posting up so much depressing stuff about their real-lives. That's why we live, to have fun OUTSIDE of the digital economy. I find that Bebo is just the same. My friend has an account on it and I have found, just by watching, that so many chavs and ******** go on it. There's never any account I see without some sort of insult in their chat box, or death threat or something equally as pointless.

What I've also found is that whenever there's any sort of anime forum or online game, you'll never find any chavs or morons who go on it. Why? Because those types of people never seem to like anime or manga. All they seem to enjoy is the strange and weird interests of today's society. Not that it's bad, I mean everyone is entitled to their own opinion, but there are many things about modern youth today that I just don't understand.

At least on this forum we can all get along and not have people who think it's funny to spam or behave like idiots.

I have a [B]MySpace[/B] but Im not as addicting there as I am in [B]MyOtaku.com[/B]. I only got one so I can keep in touch with some friends who are heading to college or already are. I keep my profile private because there are people who harrased other people. Which to me, its digusting. But the only thing I cant stand is those freaking chain letters and some ridiculous bullentins they have.

• 1 month later...
My school has internet filters, and blocks myspace. It also blocks some backdoor sites. Does anyone know a way to bypass this?
[color=red][size=1]Instead of closing the thread, I merged it with this thread. However, post quality is still an issue here, and though it's straight to the point, it couldn't hurt to give more than 2 lines of detail. ~Phenom~[/color][/size]

[QUOTE=cancer]My school has internet filters, and blocks myspace. It also blocks some backdoor sites. Does anyone know a way to bypass this?
[color=red][size=1]Instead of closing the thread, I merged it with this thread. However, post quality is still an issue here, and though it's straight to the point, it couldn't hurt to give more than 2 lines of detail. ~Phenom~[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

Easy stuff .Hack the schools main computer and while you are at it change your grades.

No same in my school unless you have permission (which I doubt they would give you ) then theres no way to fully access the site.

[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]here[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]Anywho, nobody saw that! [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]Yeah... Myspace... I never really got into myspace until about 11 months ago when my friend kept nagging me to get one, so to shut him up, I got one. Worst. Mistake. Of. My. Life. Now I'm addicted and constantly finding new people to bug through my school's group and my ROTC group. [/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue][b]Original Thoughts:[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]Myspace was the lamest thing I had ever heard of. People going out of their way and obsessing over taking poorly-angled pictures of themselves just so they can feel like they are on the internet. That's how I saw it.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue][b]Now Thoughts:[/b][/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]Holy crap this site is addicting. I'm still logged in and refreshing as we speak :o lol. Facebook is just lame though. I do have friends on myspace that, like many others it seems, I would never talk to if it weren't for myspace. The bulletin surveys and quizzes keep me entertained while I'm up at all hours of the night trying to sleep. Curse you, Tom. Curse you forever. Damn addicting sites... gr.[/color][/font]
[font=Comic Sans MS][color=royalblue]^_^ new comments! w00t! ..er... yeah... I'll go myspace now.[/color][/font]