OtakuBoards

Hardwired Technical Help

Desbreko

Welcome to the Hardwired Technical Help thread. In here you'll find helpful links and information on how to solve some common problems with computer and video game systems. And, if you can't find anything that solves your problem, this is the place to ask for more specific help.

Please note, however, that this is not the place to ask for gameplay help. Use [url=http://www.gamefaqs.com][u]GameFAQs[/u][/url] for that.

Thanks to Red and Bombu for the original links and information.

[size=3][b][u]Video Games[/u][/b][/size]

[b]Tech Support and Information Links[/b]

[url=http://www.nintendo.com/consumer/][u]Nintendo Tech Support[/u][/url]
[url=http://www.nintendowifi.com/customersupport/SupportHome.jsp][u]Nintendo Wi-Fi Tech Support[/u][/url]
[url=http://www.us.playstation.com/Support][u]PlayStation Tech Support[/u][/url]
[url=http://www.xbox.com/en-GB/support/][u]X-Box/360 Tech Support[/u][/url]

[size=3][b][u]Computers[/u][/b][/size]

[b]Spyware[/b]

Spyware comes in many forms and can do a variety of things to your computer. Some range from startup icons (in the bottom right hand corner, next to the time, in Windows) that monitor your internet activity and pester you to download/buy things, others put toolbars in internet explorer or sit quietly and give certain websites information about your internet activity. Most spyware isn't harmful to your computer, just annoying and a waste of resources. There are two good programs out there that can remove spyware easily (I've included direct download links, these programs cause no harm to computers whatsoever and contain no advertising) -

[url=http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10045910.html?part=69274&subj=dlpage&tag=button][u]AdAware[/u][/url] is a useful and easy-to-use spyware removal tool. After downloading, installing and then opening it, click "scan now". Unless you want to customise your scanning options (such as only scanning certain folders), click on "use custom scanning options". Otherwise, click on "perform smart system scan" and then "next" in the bottom right. After AdAware has finished scanning your registry and folders it will come up with a list of spyware programs it has found. Unless you think it's wrongly distinguished a particular file as spyware, right click on one of the little boxes on the left and click on "select all objects" and then "next". AdAware will then remove the spyware files you have selected.

[url=http://www.download.com/3000-2144-10122137.html?part=104443&subj=dlpage&tag=button][u]Spybot Search & Destroy[/u][/url] is a little more advanced than AdAware, but in some respects better at finding spyware. [b]Note:[/b] If you have AdAware installed along with Spybot S&D - AdAware may 'find' spyware located in Spybot's folder. This isn't actually spyware, but records and backups (that don't work anymore) that Spybot keeps, so don't think that Spybot is a piece of spyware, as it's not. Also, if you have Download Accelerator Plus installed, Spybot will distinguish the adverts in the program as spyware. Deleting them will prevent DAP from working, so uncheck them after the scan.

After installing Spybot, open it and click on "check for problems". Spybot will then scan and give you a list of the things that is has found on your computer as spyware. You can choose which you want to keep (such as DAP, if you want it to continue running) by unchecking the little boxes next to each listed file. After you've done this, click on "fix selected problems". Sometimes Spybot will try to create a system restore point. You can prevent this if you wish, but because Spybot detects registry exploits (which Adaware doesn't), it's advisable that you do to allow yourself a chance to restore should you get rid of the wrong file.

[b]Virii/Worms[/b]

I recommend taking both of these scans, as sometimes one or the other is unable to detect or clean certain virii.

[url=http://housecall.trendmicro.com][u]TrendMicro's website[/u][/url] provides a free online virus scan which will require you to say "yes" to the download popup window that comes up, so don't be alarmed, it's just the scanning engine downloading part of itself onto your computer so it can run online. You can choose which drives on your computer you wish to scan, and the scanner can either automatically clean files of virii or you can choose to have it ask you at the end of the scan.

[url=http://www.pandasoftware.com/activescan/com/activescan_principal.htm][u]Panda Software's[/u][/url] free online scanner is pretty much the same as above, but as mentioned before, can sometimes find and clean virii that TrendMicro's scanner is unable to. It will also require you to download the engine onto your computer so it can scan online. You can select which drives you want to be scanned and if you the scanner to clean the files automatically or let you decide at the end.

[b]Other Exploits[/b]

As I'm sure a lot of people know, there are a number of exploits people have used to seriously annoy Windows users.

First up is messenger, which brings little boxes up on your screen with only an "OK" button to click (while you're on the internet), and advertises a variety of things I'm sure you aren't interested in buying. To get rid of it, follow these instructions. [b]Note:[/b] If you have multiple Windows accounts, you need to be logged into the account that has administrator access (normally the first account that was created). Click Start > Control Panel > Administrative Tools > Services. Scroll down to "Messenger" and double click on it. Click on the drop-down box next to "Startup Type" and then click on disabled, then apply. Once your computer has restarted this change will take effect, and you will no longer get the pop-ups.

Second is the worm, MSBlast, and it's many variations. It's rife on the internet, and most people with fresh Windows installs get it after logging onto the internet. If you get the NT/AUTHORITY dialog box telling you your computer is going to shutdown in 60 seconds, click on Start, then Run. Type "cmd" into the dialog and press enter, which should bring up a DOS window. Then, type "shutdown -a" (without the ""). This will get rid of the box and prevent your computer from shutting down, but your profile will be lost for the period that your computer is booted, preventing from doing small things like clicking once on a link to open a new window, among other things.

However, this will give you enough time to go to the [url=http://www.windowsupdate.com][u]Windows Update website[/u][/url] and download the necessary updates to protect you from MSBlast. Also, if your computer does restart, press ctrl + alt + delete after you log on to windows and look for "msblast.exe", then end the process. Although, this will not stop the 60 second shutdown box once it has come up on your screen.

Again, downloading the [url=http://www.windowsupdate.com][u]Windows Updates[/u][/url] can prevent quite a few exploits from occuring, but for virii and spyware the tools listed above provide excellent protection. You can also download a free firewall from [url=http://www.zonelabs.com/store/content/company/products/znalm/freeDownload.jsp][u]Zonelabs[/u][/url], called ZoneAlarm, but it has been known to cause crashes in some systems due it's use of the true vector engine. If you do download ZoneAlarm and start experiencing crashes (and think they may be related), right click on my computer, click "manage", then "Event viewer" and check the Application and System icons for "True Vector Service" errors with a big red 'x' next to them.

• 1 month later...
  • Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[SIZE=1]Okay, I'm wanting to hook my XBox up to Xbox Live again, but only for the shortest amount of time possible. Is it possible, does anyone know, to only pay for one month? And if not, does anyone have an unexpired two month free trial they're not using? If so, I would greatly appreciate it if you'd PM me the code. (I'm sure though that that is a snowball's chance in Hell). I just don't want to pay a lot of money for a big subscription when I'm only going to be using it for like a month or two. Thanks.[/SIZE]

[COLOR=Indigo][FONT=Comic Sans MS]Well I highly doubt anyone has any unexpired two month free cards left, but what you can do is just pay for xbox live monthly. An Xbox Live subscription is $5.95. At least , it should be. I don't know if it's different if you have a Xbox 360, but if you have a regular Xbox, you should still be able to pay only $6 a month. Which isn't that pricey. [/FONT][/COLOR]

• 4 weeks later...
[size=1][color=teal]I have a very odd question: For some reason my CD-ROM drive is now reading as a DVD-RAM drive and I have [b]no idea[/b] how this happened, the problem is that this DVD-RAM drive doesn't play CDs or DVDs correctly as they skip and stutter a lot so I obviously can't use it.

Does anyone here know how I can tell my CD-ROM drive to turn back into a CD-ROM drive and to stop thinking its a DVD-RAM drive?[/size][/color]

[color=darkred][size=1]Merged with tech help thread. -- Bombu[/size][/color]

• 4 weeks later...
Guest ImmortalisNefas
Alright, here's the deal. My computer is jacked up with a good number of viruses, spyware, and adware. So, I finally decided to was time for a reformat. Problem? I got my big plastic bag with all my computer stuff, and my freaking Windows XP CD is nowhere to be found. Theres the moniter CD, windows works, etc. But no windows XP CD. All in all..DAMN IT. Now, I think there is a way around this problem with my computer, but I want to ask here first. See, my computer is a store bought HP(Yeah, yeah. Dont even. I dont care.)and at start up I get asked if I want to go to a recovery console, which I heard can be done without the CD. I also have a D : Drive, which is called HP_RECOVERY. So, I was hoping that using one of those would allow me to reformat without the use of a CD. If so, please inform me as of how. I have entered the D : drive, and I really dont understand it one bit. So..yeah. I just want the computer to run good again, and reformatting and starting over is the only way that's gonna happen. So an answer as to if that can be done without the CD, and how would be much appreciated.

[font=arial][size=1]My Gateway has something like what you've described. Basically it has a partition where a back-up copy of Windows XP is kept, and if something like viruses were to ruin C:/ or whatever, one can restart the computer and wail on the F11 key until a menu pops up with several options, including moving all of your files to a back-up folder (this also renders the viruses that you have pretty much useless) and reinstalling Windows.

I've never used an HP, so yours might be really different.[/font][/size]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Rebooting and hitting F11 is indeed what you need to do but allow me to make one suggestion. While you can back up your files, I wouldn't suggest it since there's a good chance one or more of those files the cause for, or at least infected with, the viruses causing your current problem. If you do have to back things up, do them manually since the HP restore utility will back up everything and this is likely not a good idea.[/COLOR][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][/FONT]
[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]Just a suggestion.[/COLOR][/FONT]

I really wanted to play my PS2 the other day, and it won't read discs. I tried a few, and each of those I tried a lot of times. I cleaned each disc with a special cleaner for them, but still they did not read. So I am wondering, what is the best way to fix this problem? Is there a way?

I hear it is quite common a common problem as well, as I asked my friends. They got new PS2s to solve it, lol, but I don't have that kind of money. Help me!!

[quote name='Bombu'][color=darkred]Did you blow into the disc drive to get dust out?[/color][/QUOTE]

Yeah, well, I tried to at least. It's an awkward place to blow into though :animestun

Can you recommend anything else?

• 1 month later...
i need help with my computer, first of when my mom was signing up for People Pc they told her that it was ok to go online. but i had one problem. the computer wouldn't let me or my family go on the internet. so does anyone have any idea as to why that happen? my guess is that the phone modem doesn't work.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 1 month later...
[COLOR="Olive"]God damn, I'm plan old screwed. My dog chewed through my playstation 2 wire, and now the thing won't work. Can I go out and buy a replacement wire? Or could I cut the bad spot out and reconnect the wires? I need help NOW. I'm suppsoed to be getting a new game this week, and another next week. But if I can't play my PS2, I can only ogle at the damned games.

If there is anything else I could, tell me. I just don't want to go out a buy a new PS2.

P.S. If this is in the wrong spot just move it. I didn't know where help with wires would go. :animeswea
And you can use this thread to discuss about ways to fix wires or chords and to help with other wire needs..
[/COLOR]

[font=Arial]Did yoru PS2 come with a warranty? If so, is it still valid and applicable to this situation? If your warranty is good, do not cut the wire, which would probably void your warranty. Instead, get it fixed/returned or whatever.

If your warranty isn't valid, or you don't have one, I have no idea what you should do.[/font]

[color=#4B0082]Which wire? If you mean the power or AV cables you'll probably be able to buy a replacement, though you might need to order it online. I don't know that many retailers would have replacement PS2 cables, unless it's a standard type of cable with no special connectors, but it's worth checking.

Also, if it is the power cable, [i]do not[/i] cut and try to reattach it. That's just asking for trouble. And by trouble I mean the cable possibly causing a short circuit and catching fire.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]
Also, if it is the power cable, [i]do not[/i] cut and try to reattach it. That's just asking for trouble. And by trouble I mean the cable possibly causing a short circuit and catching fire.[/color][/QUOTE]

Only if you are an amateur. Anyone who knows a good bit about wiring can easily repair a damaged power cord with it being no more dangerous than it originally was as long as it is done right and in accordance with electrical code.

It mostly depends on what cable exactly. an AV cable can be obtained at wal-mart probably (though depending on the signal it might work if spliced), a power cord is repairable or replaceable. A wire inside it though, that the whole unit may be beyond repair.

[color=#4B0082]The fact that he's asking if it's even possible makes me doubt that he knows how to properly repair a power cable. It can be done if you know what you're doing, sure, but I wouldn't recommend trying it if you don't.[/color]

Guest The Blue Jihad
[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]Which wire? If you mean the power or AV cables you'll probably be able to buy a replacement, though you might need to order it online. I don't know that many retailers would have replacement PS2 cables, unless it's a standard type of cable with no special connectors, but it's worth checking.

Also, if it is the power cable, [I]do not[/I] cut and try to reattach it. That's just asking for trouble. And by trouble I mean the cable possibly causing a short circuit and catching fire.[/COLOR][/quote]

Addendum: And kill the dog.

[COLOR="Olive"]Yeah I'm about to do off with the ***** >_>

And it's the power cord. Well thr inside of the power cord has sliver wires throughout it. But I think there's something in the middle of it. Could bethe main wire. I'm no technition. I'll see if my father could splice it.[/COLOR]

[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]Hey, don't blame the dog just because the wire was laying there in his reach and he was damn bored. It's not his fault the PS2 wires looked like his next chew toy and he wanted to play with them.

Give pets a little more sympathy, [I]honestly. Sheesh.[/I] :animesigh

Anyway, I agree, don't try to fix the wire yourself unless you [B]absolutely understand[/B] what you're doing. If you do it without thinking, you could damage it even more when it could easily be replaced.

I just say either go somewhere to get it fixed [I]or[/I] just go to your nearest Wal-Mart or whatever and buy another cable. There should probably be power cables in separate packages sold by Sony or another company, since they probably think things like this would happen.

And if that doesn't work, I suggest going with Retri's opinion as well.

[B]AND NO HARMING THE DOG.[/B] D<[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='The Blue Jihad']Addendum: And kill the dog.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Strangle it with the cable it chewed through imo. :p

GameStop.com has a PS1/PS2 [url=http://www.gamestop.com/product.asp?cookie%5Ftest=1&product%5Fid=800533][u]Nyko AC Power Cord[/u][/url] for only $5 so I'd look into that if you're not confident about repairing your cable.[/color]