OtakuBoards

Hardwired Technical Help

Desbreko

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]Does it work for the slim version?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[FONT="Tahoma"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Navy"]
I'm sure it would, seeing as how the only difference is is that it's slimmer and smaller.

...Actually, that would mean smaller cables too, wouldn't it? I have the regular one, so I wouldn't know. I believe they are the same size, I think.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[quote name='Break']Yeah, well, I tried to at least. It's an awkward place to blow into though :animestun

Can you recommend anything else?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Perhaps the light on your PS2 burned out. If you take it to a place that repairs game consoles, they can fix it for you rather cheaply. Better than mailing it to Sony.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Blitz_Kid'] i need help with my computer, first of when my mom was signing up for People Pc they told her that it was ok to go online. but i had one problem. the computer wouldn't let me or my family go on the internet. so does anyone have any idea as to why that happen? my guess is that the phone modem doesn't work. [/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I've had this problem before too on my old Gateway That had Windows ME. If you take your reboot discs, there should be one with programs and drivers on it. I forgot the exact process on how to go about it but if you go into custom install of programs, there should be a couple of modems you can install to your computer. Install those modems and you should be able to connect to the internet.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[color=#9933ff]I bought a laptop with XP over the summer. When I tried to play a DVD on it all those months ago, it said I didn't have the drivers to do so, and directed me to websites with drivers starting at around $30.

I talked to someone a week fews ago who told me that there are drivers to play DVDs that should be free.

One, I'm not sure who is correct. And two, if there are free drivers, are there any that you know of that you would recommend? I don't want to pick something sketchy that will screw up my computer, so I'd rather have your input. Thanks!

P.S.: The laptop in question is a Dell Latitude D630 if that helps.[/color]

• 1 month later...
Alright. I got a phone that's compatible with Bluetooth today. I want to put some mp3's on it, but when I plug it in to my computer via USB, all it does is charge. I thought my laptop was compatible with Bluetooth, but I don't seem to have that driver. So what I need is:

1 Bluetooth driver for Windows Vista Home Premium that allows me to share files between a blackberry cell phone and a computer.

And no snide remarks about Vista being my problem. I've already acknowledged that.

so every time i restart my computer, i get 2 notepad .... files that open up.

both are called process or some thing.

i have waited for about 1/2 an hour and nothing comes up on them, they are blank.

does any one know why the hell that would happen? has it ever happened to any of you? how do i stop it from happening other than removing notepad from my computer?

im hoping its not a virus or some thing:animeangr

[quote name='MistressRoxie'][color=#9933ff]I talked to someone a week fews ago who told me that there are drivers to play DVDs that should be free.[/color][/QUOTE]

Long time no speak, hope you're well! :p Don't know if you've managed to solve this one or not but just in case you haven't got round to it, go here: [url]http://www.videolan.org/vlc/[/url]

It's not a driver but a free media player that will play almost any video under the sun, including DVDs. Afraid I don't know of any free drivers that will plug into windows media player or any of the sort.

[quote name='Aceburner']Alright. I got a phone that's compatible with Bluetooth today. I want to put some mp3's on it, but when I plug it in to my computer via USB, all it does is charge. I thought my laptop was compatible with Bluetooth, but I don't seem to have that driver. So what I need is:

1 Bluetooth driver for Windows Vista Home Premium that allows me to share files between a blackberry cell phone and a computer.

And no snide remarks about Vista being my problem. I've already acknowledged that.[/QUOTE]

Broadcom do a general bluetooth driver: [url]http://www.broadcom.com/products/bluetooth_update.php[/url] however you'll need either bluetooth in your laptop/pc or a usb dongle if you want your pc to communicate with your phone this way.

Not a snide remark but Vista may very well be your problem. Whack your phone model number into google and just add "vista bluetooth" to the search, if people have been having problems you'll most likely get a few results detailing why.

Alternatively you should be able to copy files across just using USB, it's faster anyway.

[quote name='Red']Broadcom do a general bluetooth driver: [url]http://www.broadcom.com/products/bluetooth_update.php[/url] however you'll need either bluetooth in your laptop/pc or a usb dongle if you want your pc to communicate with your phone this way.

Not a snide remark but Vista may very well be your problem. Whack your phone model number into google and just add "vista bluetooth" to the search, if people have been having problems you'll most likely get a few results detailing why.

Alternatively you should be able to copy files across just using USB, it's faster anyway.[/QUOTE]

Thanks.

I've got a fairly new laptop and F6 has a Bluetooth button as a Function alternative, so I assume it's capable, I just don't have the setup application preinstalled.

EDIT: I guess not. I suppose I'll just pick up a dongle next time I have money then.

Not a sausage of a clue. It's worth doing a quick virus/spyware scan to double check that nothing's trying to run some malicious scripts or something of the sort at startup.

What version of windows are you running?

If you can be bothered a screenshot of the 2 windows might help (hit the prntscrn key to take the screenshot & use paste in paint or another image editing program, then save and post it here!).

Crap. I think I have a virus. My computer keeps freezing and crashing out of the blue. What's more, sometimes it doesn't even start up properly.

I'm probably going to take my laptop into Best Buy tomorrow if I can't fix this myself. What I need to know is :

How do I go about completely wiping my (Vista Premium) computer and restoring it with the small amount of drivers presented to me on a backup disc at purchase?

Please help. I'd rather not spend too much money on something I already have.

EDIT: Nevermind. I think it's covered by warranty anyway. In related news, I'm going to be on a downgraded system and may not post very much for the next 2 weeks.

[quote name='spy46']would any one know why 2 blank notepad files open up every time i restart my computer or just turn it back on?

both of them are called "process"[/QUOTE]

what processes/applications do you have running at startup?

either way, run an anti-virus scan to make sure it's not part of some virus's payload.

does it cause any particular errors, or does it just appear at boot for no reason?

• 7 months later...
[SIZE=2]I just got this new external hard drive and I can't seem to get it to work. I have done all the set up correctly in attaching it to the computer. The green light is on saying its ready. The problem is the icon to the lower right corner of the status bar does not appear. I have also gone under my computer to see if it is under there as a removable device and its not.

Any ideas on how to solve the problem or is the hard drive defective.

Here is the external hard drive that I bought.
[/SIZE][B][URL="http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9871218"][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]MicroPac - USB 2.0 Super Slim 2.5 Inch Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure, Black [/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/B]

[quote name='Cat'][SIZE=2]I just got this new external hard drive and I can't seem to get it to work. I have done all the set up correctly in attaching it to the computer. The green light is on saying its ready. The problem is the icon to the lower right corner of the status bar does not appear. I have also gone under my computer to see if it is under there as a removable device and its not.

Any ideas on how to solve the problem or is the hard drive defective.

Here is the external hard drive that I bought.
[/SIZE][B][URL="http://www.walmart.com/catalog/product.do?product_id=9871218"][FONT=Verdana][SIZE=2]MicroPac - USB 2.0 Super Slim 2.5 Inch Aluminum Hard Drive Enclosure, Black [/SIZE][/FONT][/URL][/B][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Comic Sans MS"]The only suggestion I have is to try another USB port. I know one of mine is faulty, so it's probably not an uncommon problem. That's all I can think of, though.[/FONT]

• 1 month later...
[FONT=Arial]Right, so I've been curious about a particular little 'glitch' in FireFox for a while now and I would like to know what any of you gurus can tell me about it.

Every now and again, when I attempt to access certain pages (even if I'd been on the site just a second before and was simply browsing), I'll get hit with a 403 Forbidden error, a 405 Method Not Allowed error, or simply be redirected to a page that has nothing to do with anything, like Google English or (once, recently) some bizarre Microsoft page that dealt with who knows what. Either that or I'll get an "invalid url" deal, which cites anything after the DOTcom of the address as the offending script, even if it's just the slash.

Usually when this happens I have to kill FF, open it, wait for the "FireFox is busy; you need to close the window before you open another one" message (which makes very little sense), say Okay, and open FF again. That fixes whatever was screwing around, but I'm curious if this is a thing peculiar to FireFox, and if using a different browser would help.[/FONT]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]First things first, clear out ALL your internet stuff (cookies, sites, temp files) and see what that lands you. If you are running Vista or anything that has virus protection, make sure that you do a thorough check of your computer with it. You may have a trojan that redirects you and opens protocols that make no sense to your computer, thus why you get 403s and 405s.

Also, get off campus internet, because it will mess you up with the sheer traffic of it. I'm assuming you run a wired connection, but if it's wireless, run to a wired one stat. The wireless connections are insecure and anyone could plop some nice Trojan packets in your lap [/FONT]

[color=#4B0082]First off, try running a spyware scan with Spybot and/or Ad-aware and see if they pick up anything. (You can download both for free.) Anti-virus scans are good too but this sounds more like a spyware problem than a virus. Also make sure that Firefox is added to your list of exceptions in the Windows Firewall.

If that doesn't do it, disable any Firefox add-ons (aka extensions) that you've got installed and see if that helps. If it does, go through and re-enable them one-by-one until the problem starts again, to isolate the offending add-on.

If that still doesn't help, try backing up only your bookmarks file (run a search for bookmarks.html if you don't know where it is) and completely uninstalling Firefox. Make sure all your profile data and everything is wiped, then re-install and replace your bookmarks file.

If none of that helps, the connection errors are most likely just a problem with your net connection. Though I'm not sure what else could be causing redirects besides trojans or bad Firefox add-ons.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko'][COLOR=#4b0082]If none of that helps, the connection errors are most likely just a problem with your net connection. Though I'm not sure what else could be causing redirects besides trojans or bad Firefox add-ons.[/COLOR][/quote]
[COLOR=Blue]You've been given some pretty sound advice already but I did want to comment on the last part of Des's post.

Before you do anything else, unless you've already done this, check if you have the same problems on a different browser. If you do, this indicates a problem with either your connection or with the computer itself. In all honesty, this sounds more like an actual computer problem than one linked to a specific browser of internet connection but this extra check can't hurt and it a bit simpler than uninstalling things right away.

Assuming you're on a Windows machine, I also suggest you restart your computer and boot into safe mode (press F8 after your computer beeps while booting) and try browsing like that. Safe mode should prevent whatever is causing this problem from running assuming it's something like spyware or a trojan.[/COLOR]

• 1 month later...
So I was given homework over the break. (What are these teachers thinking?!) I'm suppose to ask people about advantages adn disadvantages of Windows, OSX and Linux.

So... Can any of you tell me the advantages of Windows, OSX and Linux? I've never heard of OSX a day in my life, and I'm just now hearing about Linux although I still know nothing about it. I'm currently using windows but as far as naming the advantages and disadvantages of it, I'm in the dark.

I also have some math homework... [size=1]These teachers are crazy giving us homework over a Christmas break.[/size]

• 2 weeks later...
[quote name='Magus']So I was given homework over the break. (What are these teachers thinking?!) I'm suppose to ask people about advantages adn disadvantages of Windows, OSX and Linux.

So... Can any of you tell me the advantages of Windows, OSX and Linux? I've never heard of OSX a day in my life, and I'm just now hearing about Linux although I still know nothing about it. I'm currently using windows but as far as naming the advantages and disadvantages of it, I'm in the dark.

I also have some math homework... [size=1]These teachers are crazy giving us homework over a Christmas break.[/size][/QUOTE]

Do your own damn homework.

Whatever, might as well answer it...

[u]Advantages of Windows:[/u] Better supported gaming APIs (DirectX), (usually) better app support...there's not much here...
[u]Disadvantages of Windows:[/u] Still uses a filesystem that requires defragmentation (NTFS sucks), more malware and more exploits for apps running on Windows and Windows itself, the NT kernel is huge.

[u]Advantages of Linux:[/u] Open source, less susceptible to malware and exploits (actually not really, just that crackers really haven't taken up too much of an interest into breaking UNIX-like systems so far), some Windows apps can be ran through a binary compatibility layer, relatively stable basis for building operating systems around.
[u]Disadvantages of Linux:[/u] Open source, OpenGL support blows, you're most likely going to have to work within your shell a lot (may not actually be a disadvantage for some), less support for applications.

[u]Advantages of Mac OSX:[/u] Based off Darwin and FreeBSD, so in turn is running a modified BSD kernel under its hood (BSD is...what you could say is a brother to linux), less susceptible to malware and exploits (see the same point above), Boot Camp.
[u]Disdvantages of Mac OSX:[/u] Crappy OpenGL support, maintained by the black hole of customer service that is Apple.

This is just a rough overview, feel free to add.