OtakuBoards

Hardwired Technical Help

Desbreko

[quote name='Doc Holliday']No problem.

I'm contemplating changing my user title to "Free tech support."[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Nyurr hurr hurr. We could use you. Since your free, I'll be glad to [strike] whore you out[/strike] recommend you for all questions I can't solve myself. Thanks for being such a big help.

Now here's my problem. I have a really nice laptop. All of a sudden it stopped holding a battery charge and my charger doesn't get recognized so I can't run it off the charger either, much to my dismay. Any possible ideas on what it may be? I surmised that it was the port where the charger gets plugged in got knocked loose. I'm just hoping it's not what people have being saying it might be.

Internal Power System Failure :'([/COLOR][/FONT]

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=#35160f][SIZE="1"][FONT="Trebuchet MS"][quote name='Korey'][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]Now here's my problem. I have a really nice laptop. All of a sudden it stopped holding a battery charge and my charger doesn't get recognized so I can't run it off the charger either, much to my dismay. Any possible ideas on what it may be? I surmised that it was the port where the charger gets plugged in got knocked loose. I'm just hoping it's not what people have being saying it might be.[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

There are a number of things that could possible be wrong with your laptop so I'll make a couple of guesses and hope I hit somewhere in the ballpark.

If your laptop isn't relatively new, I'd say its just a problem with the battery and go and buy a new one.

If its just a knocked out port like you say it may be then its just an issue of re soldering the joints back together (since the machines really love to do a crappy job of doing it themselves).

Other than that it sounds like you may have a short somewhere on the motherboard, and for that there's nothing else to do but to get it replaced / repaired.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"][COLOR="Indigo"]EEE i dunno the model, but it's a Gateway laptop. I asked a friend and he said it was probably the port getting knocked out, which a good soldering would be in order. I guess I just need to have someone look at it.[/COLOR][/FONT]

• 3 weeks later...
[color=#9933cc]Haha, actually, I have a question of my own, concerning my laptop. It's a Dell Latitude D630. I've had it for about 18 months and when I start it up, it's been telling me, "Your battery is able to charge normally. However, it is reaching the end of its useable life. You can experience a longer operating time with a newer battery. You might want to consider purchasing a replacement battery now." And of course, it comes with a helpful link to the Dell store where I can buy a battery for $149.99. -____-

Since I am a poor college student with little/no money, my question is this: if I always run my laptop on AC power from this point on, do I still need to buy a new battery?

I'm also reluctant to buy any battery other than the one on the Dell website because I have a warranty on the rest of the computer (which conveniently covers everything BUT the battery) and I'm afraid if I buy a generic battery, it might void the warranty. =/

I've googled the problem, but I keep finding conflicting answers, and I pretty much trust you guys, so I thought I'd ask.[/color]

• 3 months later...
[size=1]Firefox annoys me.

Randomly, it does this thing where the typing goes backwards. For example if I type in the address bar 'http://' it'll come out something like '//: ptth' or mostly all muddled up like that. The only way I get around this is closing firefox and reopening it; Facebook chat is never effected, just when I'm typing in the address bar and on OB.

Does anyone know a quick fix to this instead of closing firefox constantly?[/size]

[FONT=Arial]Got a peculiar problem that's driving me nuts. I can't connect my tower to the internet. It's funny, because when I came home I remember connecting it on the fourth day back, and we haven't changed hardware yet. But I attempt to do it now, and all I get is a discovered modem, and unidentified network, and no internet.

And aggravatingly, the laptop being used currently is completely fine, as evidenced by me posting right now.

I've powered the modem down, I've reset the LAN adaptor, I've gotten new IP settings. I dunno what's going on, unless the modem is just locked into this particular laptop or something.[/FONT]

Having a particularly annoying issue.

My internet connection works. It works with my computer.It works with my PS3. It works with my 360.

But not with my Linksys router.

I only have one internet connection open at the moment, and that's my 360 connection. It is constant and reliable. But all three DID work at once, and with no noticable lag. Then, randomly, as I'm surfing the web while waiting on my party to come back for another map on COD4, my connection dies. On my PC. 360 is still working. PS3 is off and has been off.

New wires. New router. Same modem. Same PC, same PS3, just got the 360. Tried doing different cables for different systems, different combinations and slots on the router, did a soft reset, did a hard reset, and still, only one works at a time.

Anybody offer any insight?

...Somewhat like Allamorph's problem. But with three things.

Also, disabled all the firewalls I could find.

[FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Ok, let's see what we can do...

Vicky: Unforunately, I'd say that's a bug with your FF or that you have a virus on your computer that causes it process the strokes backwards. Try checking your computer for viruses and making sure you have the latest version of FF on your harddrive. Also, delete all of your cookies off of your system. That should clear things up.

Allamorph: It sounds like your computer just can't connect to the internet. I would say it's your modem. If the tower is working just fine and nothing has changed, it is doubtful that's the case. Also, you want to make sure that your network settings haven't changed if the network was a secure network. That makes a huge difference in networking.

Chaos: That's odd, because those connections all run through the same (wired? wireless?) router. You need to check your ports on all of the connections and make sure that everything is freed up. Also, make sure that your 360 connection isn't taking up too much bandwith that it causes the other systems not to get a stable connection.

*tags in Des for further advice*[/FONT]

• 3 months later...
I've been having the craziest of problems with this computer as of late. It's been doing automatic restarts and going to a blue screen yet, I unchecked that option. It'd even restart while in safe mode at times. Did a system recovery (went back to factory condition) and I'm still getting this auto restart with the blue screen.

• 2 months later...
I have a netgear router and it keep knocking me off the internet. Test with another laptop and it works fine. I also test the wireless card in the laptop that loses the connection and it's fine. I already reset the the router and still get the same thing. Any ideas would be great on how to solve this problem.

[color=#4B0082]If you lose connection with one laptop while the other remains connected, that means it's most likely a problem with the laptop rather than the router. Have you compared the network connection settings between the one that loses connection and the one that doesn't?

Also, how did you test the wireless card? Did you try swapping the two laptops' cards and seeing if that made any difference?[/color]

We took the laptop not working right to different places that had free wireless. My college, the library, my dads girlfriends place, Bookmans, and other places. They all had different degrees of connection levels but I never got kicked off and it was fine.

I forgot to mention that the other laptop is actually a netbook and it does lose connection with the router but it logs on right away with no problems.
I'm not really sure how to switch my wireless card because its build into the laptop. I don't want to take it apart and mess something else up.

[color=#4B0082]Ah, okay. It probably is the router, then. The netbook is apparently just better at picking the connection back up.

And you can't swap wireless cards that are built in, so forget that. If it were the kind that plugged into a slot in the laptop, then it would be simple.

Anyway, first I'd make sure there's nothing around the router that could be causing interference. Then I'd take a look at the router's wireless settings and try tweaking stuff to see if anything has an effect. (If you don't know what the settings mean, now's a good time to learn. Wikipedia knows all.) Like, if you're using encryption, try disabling it and seeing if that makes a difference, or try changing the basic rate, etc. But it may just be that your router's wireless is crapping out.[/color]

• 3 weeks later...
I have a new problem with a refurbished computer from overstock.com. I can't seems to get the sound to work. I don't even have a volume icon by the time or when I go under the control panel and use the advanced volume controls. It keeps saying I have the drivers and hardware. When I click the volume control advanced has no mixer device. I'm not sure where to go to install the mixture device. I did what Microsoft said under the troubleshooter but none of it worked.

[color=#4B0082]Where did you get the sound drivers for it? I'd try uninstalling them and installing a new version from the manufacturer's website (if you know who made the sound card, or the motherboard if it's on-board sound) or Windows Update.[/color]

Thank you for your help Desbreko I had already did your suggestion in no change. We end up calling the person we bought it from and found out that the company forgot to check the sound card and the sound card is bad. They also didn't even enable the sound under the bios. They are allowing us to ship back the item for free and send us a different computer all together.

I have a Dell laptop with window xp, when I try to do the system restore something went wrong. It say: Application cannot be executed. The file is infected. Please activate your antivirus software. I barely have any anti-virus on my laptop, yet this warning or error is not letting me do it .I have some virus and trojan and all that bad stuff on my laptop, I'm trying to get rid of them but cant. Even when I try to do it in safe mode, the safe mode doesnt work too. I want to know your opinion and method to help me before I take it to an electronic shop and get my laptop clean from all the viruses, trojan, worms, etc.

[color=#4B0082]Download [url=http://www.safer-networking.org][u]Spybot[/u][/url] and [url=http://www.avira.com][u]Avira AntiVir[/u][/url]. Update both of them so you have the latest definition files. Boot into safe mode. Run scans with them (not at the same time). With any luck, that will clean out your system.[/color]

• 2 weeks later...
My laptop is now malfunction because of the spyware thats on it. On my laptop screen there is a green-blue color border with a message in the middle that says "YOUR COMPUTER IS INFECTED" or something like that and its mainly due to some spyware that I got like from no where and I can't figure out how this happen. When ever I try to open something, it says that the file is infected and I should activate my antivirus even though I have an antivirus and its not working like it suppose to. Is there anyway to fix this problem or I should take it to a computer store and have them fix this problem? Any advice would help.

If what Desbreko recommended doesn't work I'd give Malwarebytes a try. It's a pretty good program to use if conventional means don't work.

Here's the link: [URL="http://www.malwarebytes.org/"]Malwarebytes[/URL]
Here's another link: [URL="http://www.myantispyware.com/2009/06/08/malwarebytes-wont-install-run-or-update-how-to-fix-it/"]Fix[/URL]

That second link has got a tutorial on how to install and run Malwarebytes if the infection is stopping it from installing and/or running.

[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Did you try what I posted before?[/color][/QUOTE]

I did try to download what you posted but during the download my laptop actually stop working and I can't go to the internet and other stuff with it anymore. :( So theres nothing I can do until the problem is fix.