OtakuBoards

Important OB V8 Discussion

DeadSeraphim

[COLOR=Indigo][SIZE=1][FONT=Arial]Hello friends. I, like you, am a member of this forum, a forum that has been whole-heartedly devoted to anime for over 7 years. Now, as we all know, OB's [i]8th version[/i] will be coming in just a few short months, and I think it's about time that the people rose up and voted on the most important thing to ever face our generation: where do we go from here?

Sure, sure, you're all saying "Let's just stick with anime, it seems to work, you know?" but, friends, reconsider - [i]anime is dead[/i]. We need a new direction to make OB the premier interweb destination again, and unfortunately for you, James has already twigged to this, and is, as we speak, designing a monstrous beast coded in SGML and coloured [u]poo brown[/u] called "Ot[b]art[/b]kuBoards", an art deco project where you can only post in morse code or face a ban for disrupting the flow of the art.

Do you want to face this horrible future? No, I didn't think so.

I open the floor to you, the members, to define [i]where OB goes from this point on[/i]. I suggest OtahentaikuBoards (obviously, for the posting of cats), and I know Charles has [i]ideas[/i], that only he could [i]articulate[/i], but we can't be the only freedom fighters here. Speak up, be heard![/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

• Replies 62
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=deeppink]..
- .... .. -. -.-
- .... .- -
- .... .. ...
--- - .- .-. - -.- ..- -... --- .- .-. -.. ...
.. ...
.-
--. .-. . .- -
.. -.. . .- .

- .. -- .
..-. --- .-.
.-
-.-. --- ..- -. - . .-. .-. . ...- --- .-.. ..- - .. --- -. !

See, isn't that better? It's art![/color]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]Taking Dead seriously (I know, dangerous) I do think that OB should be headed in a different direction. Most of the active members don't even seem to care about anime... I mean theres quite a few anime fans here, but the label of 'anime forum' only seems to atract [strike]narutards[/strike] n00bs who post spamminess. We should go for something more a reflection of OB's style... but hey, these are the musings of the unimportant :catgirl: [/COLOR]

[size=1]I think Dead brings up a valid point, but OB is closely linked with if not a subsidiary of theO, right? I'm personally in favor of pushing OB into a much more general community, but the question is what will make us different from other boards if we do?

I kind of feel like we're clinging to anime as a crutch to keep us different from general discussion boards. If we let go of that crutch, we'll probably end up as a normal discussion board; granted with our own flavor, but a discussion board nonetheless.

The move away from anime has been a gradual process, most notably being the consolidation of the separate anime forums (Digimon, DBZ, Gundam, etc) into just the Anime Lounge.[/size]

[color=#4B0082]Funnily enough, the general discussion forum has pretty much always been the most active forum, closely followed by the RPG forum, with the anime forum(s) a somewhat distant third. I suppose OtakuBoards is technically an anime forum, but as long as I've been here it's never been the only major focus of the site. General dicussion, RPGs, and gaming have all been prominent features ever since version 3.[/color]

[font=Verdana][size=2]I'd like to see a skin for the next generation OB that isn't blue! Blue has been done to death. A warm colour might be a welcome change. I like the gray/red skin for the last days of V6 as a possible colour theme for the next OB.[/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2][/size][/font]
[font=Verdana][size=2]I'd also like to see a forum dedicated to the discussion of beer and all things beery. Think of the discussions: Favourite beer, Wost beer, Beer that has the best looking label, easiest cap to unscrew, Lager Vs. Ale, Favoured beer to get wasted on, Favourite sock to store beer in...[/size][/font]

[quote]Taking Dead seriously (I know, dangerous) I do think that OB should be headed in a different direction. Most of the active members don't even seem to care about anime... I mean theres quite a few anime fans here, but the label of 'anime forum' only seems to atract narutards n00bs who post spamminess. We should go for something more a reflection of OB's style... but hey, these are the musings of the unimportant. [/quote]

[font=arial]I tend to think that anime is just one part of what OB offers. Anime isn't - and hasn't been for a long time - the be-all and end-all of OtakuBoards.

If you really trace back OB's origins you'll find that we [i]actually[/i] began life as a GameBoy forum. Anime came to the site a little later in its life.

So I think that "OtakuBoards", taken literally, means "forums for hardcore fans" - that includes fans of many things (gaming and anime in particular). That's always been the case.

I think people have usually associated OtakuBoards primarily with anime because theOtaku.com became more anime-centric within the last few years. Even that is changing soon though.[/font]

[quote]I think Dead brings up a valid point, but OB is closely linked with if not a subsidiary of theO, right? I'm personally in favor of pushing OB into a much more general community, but the question is what will make us different from other boards if we do?

I kind of feel like we're clinging to anime as a crutch to keep us different from general discussion boards. If we let go of that crutch, we'll probably end up as a normal discussion board; granted with our own flavor, but a discussion board nonetheless.[/quote]

[font=arial]I think you are mistaken if you believe that anime is the only thing making OtakuBoards different from other message boards. In fact, there are many anime-centric boards out there - I'd argue that if we focus [i]too much[/i] on anime we will make this site less interesting.

Far from "clinging to anime as a crutch", I think anime is just one part of the site as I said above. It hasn't been OB's focus for a long time - it has just been a significant part of the site along with other elements.

I would say that the mix of people in our community as well as things like RPGs are what make OtakuBoards wholly unique. Community Events are another big factor there.

The implication here is that we're going down an anime-centric path and that we need to change direction. I don't think we've been going down an anime-centric path...well, [i]ever[/i]. It's always been there, but it's never defined OtakuBoards.[/font]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']Funnily enough, the general discussion forum has pretty much always been the most active forum, closely followed by the RPG forum, with the anime forum(s) a somewhat distant third. I suppose OtakuBoards is technically an anime forum, but as long as I've been here it's never been the only major focus of the site. General dicussion, RPGs, and gaming have all been prominent features ever since version 3.[/color][/quote]

[color=deeppink]It's been that way for longer than that. At least in terms of general discussion; Anime was way more popular than RPGs and gaming during V1 and early V2. Dragonball alone had over ten times more posts than Games and Stories. Go back too much farther, and you won't even find an RPG forum.[/color]

[font=arial]It depends what you're referencing though. As I said earlier, OB was originally born out of Absolute GameBoy. I suppose it depends whether you count AGB and theOtaku.com: Forums as actually being early versions of OB itself.

RPGs really started to become significant during Version 3. So we've had more history with RPGs being a major feature than not, I suppose.
[/font]

[QUOTE=James][font=arial]It depends what you're referencing though. As I said earlier, OB was originally born out of Absolute GameBoy. I suppose it depends whether you count AGB and theOtaku.com: Forums as actually being early versions of OB itself.
[/font][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I do. The Otaku.com: Forums is V1, after all, and AGB is the same thing with a different name and slightly different focus.

And I was merely pointing out that while Anime has never been the top draw, it's still had times when it was pretty prominent.[/color]

[QUOTE=Nerdsy][color=deeppink]I do. The Otaku.com: Forums is V1, after all, and AGB is the same thing with a different name and slightly different focus.

And I was merely pointing out that while Anime has never been the top draw, it's still had times when it was pretty prominent.[/color][/QUOTE]

[font=arial]Yep, I tend to consider AGB Forums as being the genesis of OtakuBoards.

I just don't think we've ever really been entirely based around anime, so when people say something like "for once we should go in a different direction and pay less attention to anime"...I tend to think, well, that's what we're doing anyway. lol

Everything is always in a state of flux not just here but elsewhere in the network. theOtaku.com's new version will, for the first time in several years, expand the content it covers (i.e. anime won't be the [i]only[/i] subject to be covered). So there's always room to grow.

The next version of this site will probably end up being different to what most people would expect anyway. Not to say that it'll suddenly stop including anime or gaming, but it will really be fundamentally different in a lot of ways. At the moment I think we're treading water because we are reliant largely on word-of-mouth/viral growth as well as referrals from myOtaku.com (both of which are fine, but don't make for a major expansion of our audience).

For those who would advocate major new directions...I guess I'd just ask which directions they are referring to. If there's some major subject out there that we aren't covering that people think we should, it'd be a good idea to suggest it - I'm always happy to read about new ideas (especially from existing members).[/font]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']I blame 2007DigitalBoy; he first started the thread down this dark path. All in favor of a banning, say aye. :modrod:[/color][/quote]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]as site administrator, though, I don't think you really need any consent... wait, what are we discussing here?! O_o[/COLOR]

[size=1]I think we should change the name to [b]ObamaBoards[/b], and focus entirely on American presidential candidate Barack Obama. We would have to change the forum structure accordingly, but I don't think the current staff would take issue with their reassignments. Otaku Lounge could be used to discuss his stance on the war, while our Creative Works area could become mini-shrines focusing on Obama fan-fiction and wallpapers.

Is that better, Alan?

-Shy[/size]

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=#0e1030][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]The only reason I can think of Des not doing some sort of an insta-ban would be to make a person into some kind of a man-slave

You're pretty screwed now.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR=DarkOrange][size=1]Wouldn't be the first time I've had this situation...[/size]

As for suggestions of what the boards should be... [B]ObeatnikBoards[/B]. We could have all our posts be told as poetry and have snazzy avatars of [B]The Beatles [/B] and [B]Pink Floyd[/B].[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=Ikillion][COLOR=#0e1030][SIZE=1][FONT=Trebuchet MS]The only reason I can think of Des not doing some sort of an insta-ban would be to make a person into some kind of a man-slave

You're pretty screwed now.[/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]Wow, I had no idea Des turned people into slaves. o_O If so as Ikillion says...you are so screwed 2007DigitalBoy.

I don't suppose anyone knows how many people Des has already turned into slaves?

[QUOTE=Rachmaninoff]Wow, I had no idea Des turned people into slaves. o_O If so as Ikillion says...you are so screwed 2007DigitalBoy.

I don't suppose anyone knows how many people Des has already turned into slaves?[/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]13, including a chicken and four Transformers.[/font][/color][/size]

[quote name='DeadSeraphim][size=1][color=indigo][font=arial]13, including a chicken and four Transformers.[/font][/color'][/size][/quote]

[color=deeppink]Don't forget that ferret. Although I understand you not wanting to talk about it. *shudder*[/color]