OtakuBoards

Graphic Worm 2007

Retribution

[color=#606060]It might also be an option to upload a PSD format of the image for the next user (if you use Photoshop or PSP you can do this). OB supports PSD format I believe. This will allow accurate colour matching without too much trouble I should think (and if necessary someone can jump in and optimize your original layered file if you don't want to or can't).[/color]

• Replies 181
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[color=#4B0082]First off, no, this was never a problem with the first graphic worm because all submissions were required to be in jpg format. So there were never any issues with png support. Maybe we should just drop png and only allow jpg and gif for this worm? If this continues to cause problems for people matching up colors I might have to do that.

Anyway, the colors for Darren's entry match up in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. Again, this is because IE's support for png files is crap and it's making the colors on some png entries -- including jigglyness's -- darker than they should be. Opening the file in Photoshop and using the dropper tool on the bottom-right corner of jigglyness's entry gives the color [color=#4D6798]#4D6798[/color], while taking a screen capture of the worm in IE and using the dropper on the same pixel gives the color [color=#415B8E]#415B8E[/color], which is the same as on Darren's entry.

[b]Never, ever use a screen capture from Internet Explorer to compare colors, or preview your entry in Internet Explorer.[/b] Always save the previous entry to your hard drive and open it in your graphics program alongside your own entry to compare colors and preview it. IE is the devil and shouldn't ever be used at all when png files are involved.

Also, one more little thing that needs to be changed, Darren, is shifting the entire image down one pixel to get the lines to match up, then filing in the top row of pixels. Right now there's one row of white pixels along the bottom that don't match up and are pushing the rest up out of alignment.

The image quality and format is fine, though. The actual entry is plenty high quality, it's only the preview you posted of the two entries lined up that's grainy. You just need to make sure you're matching your entry's colors up to the previous entry's actual colors.[/color]

[quote name='Desbreko][color=#4B0082']First off, no, this was never a problem with the first graphic worm because all submissions were required to be in jpg format. So there were never any issues with png support. Maybe we should just drop png and only allow jpg and gif for this worm? If this continues to cause problems for people matching up colors I might have to do that.[/color][/quote]
I figured that if that were the case, it would have been a stipulation from the beginning. Either that, or someone would have decided that earlier on after we got several back-to-back problems....

[QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Anyway, the colors for Darren's entry match up in Internet Explorer, but not in Firefox. Again, this is because IE's support for png files is crap and it's making the colors on some png entries -- including jigglyness's -- darker than they should be. Opening the file in Photoshop and using the dropper tool on the bottom-right corner of jigglyness's entry gives the color [color=#4D6798]#4D6798[/color], while taking a screen capture of the worm in IE and using the dropper on the same pixel gives the color [color=#415B8E]#415B8E[/color], which is the same as on Darren's entry.

[b]Never, ever use a screen capture from Internet Explorer to compare colors, or preview your entry in Internet Explorer.[/b] Always save the previous entry to your hard drive and open it in your graphics program alongside your own entry to compare colors and preview it. IE is the devil and shouldn't ever be used at all when png files are involved.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I'm not sure I'm following... Sorry, if this sounds dumb, but what's the difference between a screen capture and just saving it... Because I opened Jigglyness's entry on my computer, saved it to my hard drive, and then opened it using Photoshop, so if that's not what you're talking about, then I'll figure out a differnt method should I choose to make another entry.

[QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Also, one more little thing that needs to be changed, Darren, is shifting the entire image down one pixel to get the lines to match up, then filing in the top row of pixels. Right now there's one row of white pixels along the bottom that don't match up and are pushing the rest up out of alignment.

The image quality and format is fine, though. The actual entry is plenty high quality, it's only the preview you posted of the two entries lined up that's grainy. You just need to make sure you're matching your entry's colors up to the previous entry's actual colors.[/color][/QUOTE]
I'll fix that ASAP and upload it right away. Would you prefer me to upload it as a jpg or a png after it's done?

[color=#606060]I started working on my image but I will wait until your final version is up. Having a higher quality version without artifacts will help with blending [i]a lot[/i]. It may be worth uploading your original file too just in case (i.e. your PSD).[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I probably would've just not allowed png from the start if I'd known this was going to happen. I thought IE only had trouble with png transparency, though. I'll talk with Retri and see if he minds dropping png for this worm, and if not I'll probably just convert previous entries to jpg and edit the rules to only allow jpg and gif.

A screen capture would be opening the image in IE and hitting the Prt Scr (print screen) key, which copies an image of what's displayed on your monitor to the clipboard, then pasting that into your graphics program. Or, alternately, right clicking the image in IE and selecting "Copy," then pasting that into your graphics program, will also result in the colors displaying wrong. Right clicking and selecting "Save Picture As," then opening the file in Photoshop did work for me (at least in IE6, I can't test in IE7), though, so if that's what you're doing I'm not sure what's going wrong.

Go ahead and keep your entry as a jpg. IE is at least consistent with those, and if we end up dropping png it would just have to be converted anyway.

Here's a jpg version of jigglyness's entry. You should match up your entry's colors to its, as it has the same colors that Photoshop and Firefox display for the png version.[/color]

[URL=http://img175.imageshack.us/my.php?image=014jigglynesszj7.jpg][IMG]http://img175.imageshack.us/img175/6202/014jigglynesszj7.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

Well, unfortunately, I don't have the memory on my computer to save all the projects that I make so I'm ususally forced to save my photoshop projects as jpg and then delete the PSD...

So while it would have been easy to simply add another layer of pixels, I'm afraid that it's not so simple to change it at this point...

Not to mention that I just don't have the time, and I don't want to be backing up the process. However, I do have a suggestion: If Jigglyness doesn't mind, could we uplooad hers as a jpg and through IE??? I went ahead to try the results and it still matches up with Ninjah's entry almost perfectly... (the only flaw is the puprle line that says "Crank it with," and even then I had to zoom in just to see that it wasn't the same color) :animesigh I don't know. If that's not something anyone wants to do, then I guess I'll have to be skipped and I can try again next time.:animecry:

At least now I know what I was doing wrong when I saved the image.

[color=#606060]I'm not quite sure what to do now...whether I should follow on from your image or the previous one.

I will wait to see what Retri says about how he'd like us to proceed before I work on something new.[/color]

[size=1]Real quick -- [b]please only submit jpg files from here on out.[/b] Those pesky png files aren't rendered the same in different browsers (Des told me so), so we'll be getting rid of them. Thanks!

As a fellow artist, I know how crappy it feels when you totally have to scrap a work because of a minor misstep. For that reason, I'll make an exception for you Darren and let your image into the Worm (even if it does have alignment/color deviations).

For future reference, everyone, keep your PSD until you're sure you won't need it anymore. A good rule of thumb would be once the person after you has posted theirs without incident, you can trash it.

So James, just add onto the end of Darren's.[/size]

[color=#4B0082]You don't need the original psd file to make such a small edit. It took me about five minutes to fix the alignment and colors. . . .

[URL=http://img408.imageshack.us/my.php?image=015eb1.jpg][IMG]http://img408.imageshack.us/img408/585/015eb1.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

So, yeah, please continue off of this image, Jeh.

Also, I've gotten the previous png entries converted to jpg, but I'm having trouble uploading files. So I'm not able to replace those or do the update for Friday until I can upload files via FTP again. James, I'll PM you with the details after I post this.[/color]

[color=#4B0082]I'm able to upload stuff again -- I don't know why it didn't work before and why it is now, but it is -- so I've updated the worm. I converted all the png entries to high quality jpgs and added Darren's edited entry.[/color]

[color=#606060]I'm not terribly happy with how this came out but I found it difficult to follow on from the previous image. I tried to incorporate Darren's linework into my own picture originally but I wasn't happy with how that looked.

In any case, I figured this would still be an interesting image. Big OB Evolution preview in here, haha. :catgirl:

[center][URL=http://img105.imageshack.us/my.php?image=evolutionpq8.jpg][IMG]http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/9160/evolutionpq8.th.jpg[/IMG][/URL][/center]

Link: [url]http://img105.imageshack.us/img105/9160/evolutionpq8.jpg[/url]

I think Pepper would make a good mascot.[/color]

[SIZE="1"]Would it be my turn now, or is Shishou going? He's on the list as after James, and I didn't see any post saying he was 100% sure he wouldn't be doing it, so I'm a tad confused. If Shishou has truly cancelled, the list should be updated, or something. [/SIZE]

[size=1][color=#8B008B]So I was looking at the Graphic Worm and I must say it's been progressing very beautifully. It's so awesome looking. I can't wait to see the end result; although I think that won't be until a very long time.[/size][/color]

[color=darkred][size=1]

Is it possible for me to submit a piece of drawn artwork to be used in one of the Worm section graphics? Maybe get half credit or something, because I really want to contribute to the worm, but I have no talent or means to do a graphic design.

So, one person can use the drawing I do, do as they wish graphically, and use it on the worm. Possible? Ye or Ne?[/color][/size]

[color=darkorange] Speaking from experience, the next person may not know they're up yet if they're going by the list in the original post. :p

On another note entirely, I'd be happy to work with Boss's artwork in my next submission, if he would like me to. ^_^[/color]

Yeah go for it. I already PM'ed Shishou and no answer. So that would give the go for you since it has been way past the number of days waited.

Oh yeah. Retri, you still need to add me and the others on the list again. In a post on the last page, I said I would go after cancer..I think.