OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards Newspaper

Aaryanna_Mom

If you haven't already seen my suggestion in the Suggestion & feedback part of the boards then here it is:

[INDENT]I thought it would be nice to have a type of newspaper for OtakuBoards. I did some hunting around and found that this is an idea that has come up in the past and then died down. Not from lack of interest, but more from a having a clear direction to take. So my suggestion is to make having a newspaper more official in the same way that Otakupedia is. Not necessarily with a link but perhaps a permanent sticky in one of the sections, like OB Anthology for example.

And to realize this suggestion I already have a clear idea on how to go about it. For starters it would need to have a set format, one that would make it easy to do a publication and yet not require so much that it would never be done. The first format would be that instead of trying to do it weekly or even every two weeks, a monthly deal seems like it would be the most flexible. A report on interesting threads and things that have happened in the past month, to give an example it could be done in sections. Something like this:
[CENTER]
[SIZE=3][B]OtakuBoards Communiqué[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[B]Entertainment[/B][INDENT][information here on interesting threads, etc.][/INDENT][B]Community [/B][INDENT][information here on interesting threads, etc.][/INDENT][B]Creative Works. [/B][INDENT][information here on interesting threads, etc.][/INDENT]
It could even have a section for say featured members who have either made contributions to the site recently or in the past, or one that fills requests from members for articles. Other than the basic idea, the possibilities are endless. I?d really like to see what people think since it?s something I can see becoming a permanent feature instead of an occasional one. One that I know I would enjoy being a part of.[/INDENT]

Now I've started this thread since I'm quite serious about the suggestion, making a monthly newspaper a regular feature of OtakuBoards. By doing so I am of course offering my time in helping to run it. To do that I'd like to come up with a more firm plan since I'm sure many of you have great ideas for things that could be included with each publication.

Once we work out a format as well as a plan I intend on requesting that either a sticky thread be made for it or a link. So now that I've made that clear, what ideas do you have? What do you want to see or rather read about? Are you interested in helping? Even if it's only to point out threads or things that you think should be mentioned in the next publication. Also, what type of name would you prefer? The one I used of OtakuBoards Communiqué is obviously just a suggestion.

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[COLOR=HotPink][B]I think another good idea would be "Member of the month" and "Artist of the month" and etc. Those kind of things are fun for the members, as well as being able to vote on polls and nominating other members for "Member of the month". That's just one idea that comes to mind. [/B] [/COLOR]

[COLOR=goldenrod]It would be fun to do surveys as well. Or even interviews where you send someone a questionnaire and they answer it for the newspaper. There could be a section for weird trivia, things that are unique for that month in relation to the boards or in the anime world. You wouldn't have to do them every month, but having random fun stuff like that would be great fun.

I think it goes without saying that in addition to either a link or a sticky, it would need it's own suggestion thread where people could present ideas and comment on things. Or make suggestions on threads that should be mentioned. Though I suppose once a sticky thread is made or a link is provided, this thread could serve that purpose.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]I support the idea. Honarable metnions would be a good idea too. Like Namura said maybe a member of the month could be added as well as list of those memebrs who are intersesting. it's just a thought. Maybe a cool banner would set things off a bit. Usually appearences get more rave-reviews. If there was a cool banner that was on the top of the thread. Maybe a cool font much like the newspapers of today.

Even an art of the month where someone with a great picture that they drew was showcased. Along with information of it's creator and the drawing itself. Good ideas will keep coming. If the newspaper looks and feels great it will not be ignored. At least that's what I think.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkOrange]I like all stated ideas, and I can't wait to see how this starts! I think it looks to be fun and cool, I have no suggestions myself since I'm no good with that sort of thing, but I'd love to be an article writer for your newspaper! I have plenty of experience in journalism.[/COLOR]

I'm with you on this A_M. I would even be interested in helping out, and all the suggestions sound great to me. But maybe it doesn't have to be limited to just OB. I mean, we could expand it to a bit of external news. (Not a lot, but just tid bits with links to other articles) That way, for the people who are interested in other news but never really get the time to watch it or look it up on the net, (like me) we could have just a minimal amount of news on the other subjects people would want to hear about.

[COLOR=Indigo]Ah good, you've got this up already and I'm loving all the suggestions so far. I like the idea Darren has as well about other news, especially since I'm sure you could provide links to interesting things that were covered over at theOtaku. It wouldn't be that hard to find things that would be fun to include.

Also, even if you haven't decided on a complete name just yet, you could go ahead and start a thread in the Art Request section of the boards, asking for a header or different banners for each section. Since like Premonition mentioned a snazzy appearance would make it more fun too.

Obviously you don't know all the sections yet or the requirements for a header per se, but it probably wouldn't hurt to let artists know you're looking for that. And some of them might even have ideas or suggestions for things graphically that you might not think of.

If you leave it completely open to suggestion besides limiting it to one that wouldn't stretch OB's layout if this is done in a thread instead of a link to deal like Otakupedia...One of the first polls you could have would be for the members to pick the graphics for the newspaper.

Also, my offer to help with this still stands. Just let me know what you'd like me to do Kathy. ;)[/COLOR]

I'll throw my input in as well as offer to help when the time comes. Anyway, my thought is that in addition to the monthly deal it might be fun to spring surprise publications, kind of like a special edition. Since I'm sure there will be times when you might want to do more than just post it once a month. That way if it only happens occasionally it won't derail the idea. You'll still do the monthly but if you don't have time to do it more often it will be fine, but if you do you can surprise us with another one before the next month comes up. Kind of a regular once a month deal and unexpected specials thrown in from time to time. In the form of an additional publication that is. Hopefully that made sense. lol

[size=1][color=#9907BB]This is a great idea, [B]A_M[/B] and I really like how you organized a style it should be in. I really like everyone's ideas and I think this would make a great addition to OtakuBoards. On top of that, maybe it'll bring some more people to check out the Anthology. I'm willing to help out as well and I should, seeing as I feel I've been neglecting my Moderator duties.

Anyways, usually in newspapers they have a Living, Entertainment, Comic/ Funny, Letters to the Editor, Headline News, and what have you not. So, the OB Newspaper shouldn't just be limited to the Arts & Entertainment but also to the entire OtakuBoards- Hardwired, Otaku Lounge, etc. Also, I agree with [B]indifference[/B] about using [B]Darren[/B]'s idea on external news. I think it would give the newspaper a more connected feel to it.

You know...perhaps compiling a list of what you'd like to see in the Newspaper might help in working out the kinks. You could start out with the main ideas and then underneath the main ideas have what you think would go best with that category. It sounds a bit tedious, I know, but I really think it might help.

Let me know if you need any help, I'm more than happy to help. In fact, it'll help me be productive. =P[/size][/color]

[FONT=Tahoma]The idea does sound interesting, and of course there will be writing involved so i'll be more than happy to help out and contribute. Whether it's OB related or external news.

I like the idea where the sections of a normal newspaper would be represented here in the form of "Anime Lounge section, Hardwired Section, Creative Works" etc etc. Like [b]Hardwired[/b] sounds good for that section, but maybe something like [b]Lounging Around[/b] for the otaku lounge, etc. Then section like "People" which would be about members for whatever notable reason, etc. Or like the already mentioned idea of "Member of the month" "thread of the month" etc.

We could have column writers for each section, or have people state which sections they would most like to write for and then send in a sample article for whomever the editors are to decide on. There could be specific people to write for each section with some guest articles written here and there like freelance, while the "contracted" writers so to speak would be required to hand something in on a monthly basis or bi-weekly basis, whichever the final decision is.

Since something like this takes a good deal of commitment, it would be good to ensure the reliability of the incoming articles by doing the trial article idea. Though that's only if you intended on having definite columnists. Either way, I look forward to contributing. [/FONT]

[COLOR=goldenrod]Most of the things I would suggest have already been mentioned but I'd thought I'd at least make it known that I too would like to help out with this. Everyone has such good ideas to make it more of a complete newspaper and doing it monthly seems like it would work really well.

And now that I've started I have a suggestion, one to add on to BKstyles of picking writers. If you do go with specific writers I would go more for getting a team than just one or two people for a spot. Since having more than one person means that if someone doesn't have the time one month, someone else would. And it would add a nice amount of diversity to what is put out. I'd stil have guest writers too like BKstyles mentioned.

Anyway I'm looking forward to seeing how this goes. ^_~ [/COLOR]

I definately think SunfallE has a great suggestion. A team of writers for each category would make things less stressful about making a deadline. I'd also recommend maybe doing reviews for movies, games, etc. I wouldn't mind writing for particular games that are coming out either giving information about them and also critiquing since that is always fun. For movies, I would suggest Dragon Warrior. I remember seeing a thread where he wrote about movies that came out and an opinion on it, and I think he pulled it off very well.

I would really like to see this newspaper idea come through this time and would love to help out if I can. Hopefully it will even bring the Hardwired section into light for once instead of just the lounge. You should make a sign up list in which people wanting to volunteer could maybe send in a sample article for their writing ability. That way its fair and based off your abilities. As for graphics, dont ask me!

I think I've seen White around here somewhere.....Hrm...

[QUOTE=Peanut]I definately think SunfallE has a great suggestion. A team of writers for each category would make things less stressful about making a deadline. I'd also recommend maybe doing reviews for movies, games, etc. [b]I wouldn't mind writing for particular games that are coming out either giving information about them and also critiquing since that is always fun[/b]. For movies, I would suggest Dragon Warrior. I remember seeing a thread where he wrote about movies that came out and an opinion on it, and I think he pulled it off very well.

I would really like to see this newspaper idea come through this time and would love to help out if I can. Hopefully it will even bring the Hardwired section into light for once instead of just the lounge. You should make a sign up list in which people wanting to volunteer could maybe send in a sample article for their writing ability. That way its fair and based off your abilities. As for graphics, dont ask me!

I think I've seen White around here somewhere.....Hrm...[/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]I think you and me will be working together in the future in that case. lol. Of course you can have the MMOs, but there's no way i'm letting you take [i]all[/i] the RPGs. ;)

But clearly, I am a fan of this idea as well. Movies, games, maybe even books if we have enough dedicated booknuts here (clearly, this is coming from a less than dedicated non-book nut). Personally, I would spend a lot of time on game re/pre viewing, some animes if they catch my attention, and perhaps the latest and greatest in the arena.

Concerning happenings in the arena, in addition to summaries and reviews of existing RPs, we can try to recreate the coming attractions idea that was tried not too long ago by Jokopoko. We can keep it up and release information as we gradually get it from the intended creator like previews for movies and such, I think it will add a lot of fun to the opening of the RP itself and it will give an idea to whose interest it piques. We can hold interviews with the participants as well to get the inside details on what it was like being a part of them, and maybe even their critiques ;P.[/font]

Goodness, so many wonderful ideas! :catgirl: This is going to be fun! I'm going to start organizing everything that's been suggested and then I'll come back and repost with it.

I'm going to start a thread in the Art by Request section for the main banner since we can always request more for the other sections once we are decided on a plan. Plus I think it would be fun to do as indifference suggested, give the artists total freedom, other than to request that it doesn't stretch the layout of OB.

It would be interesting to see what names they come up with as well, or even a banner without a clear name would work too. Anyway, I'll do that and then in the next day or two I'll have the rest up since I want to make sure I address all the suggestions that were made.

[QUOTE=BKstyles][font=tahoma]I think you and me will be working together in the future in that case. lol. Of course you can have the MMOs, but there's no way i'm letting you take [i]all[/i] the RPGs. ;)

But clearly, I am a fan of this idea as well. Movies, games, maybe even books if we have enough dedicated booknuts here (clearly, this is coming from a less than dedicated non-book nut). Personally, I would spend a lot of time on game re/pre viewing, some animes if they catch my attention, and perhaps the latest and greatest in the arena.[/font][/QUOTE][font=tahoma][size=2]Aha, I'm definately doing MMO's! No one can beat me on that one, bwhaha. Infact, there are many new mmos coming out over the summer. As for RPGS and console related games, I'm probably not the best at it so having BK to help with that would be nice. Also, I love the fact about book reviews. That would fit nicely in the Anthology category. I'm a big book nut although I can't say I've read anything lately due to being busy, but I'd still love to do it.

Hope you post up all the categories and ideas up soon, I can't wait to try out! [/font][/size]

[QUOTE=Darren]
Also, I had the idea since you guys were talking about games and stuff, it hit me that RPs in the Arena would be a great thing to cover... Just like book reviews, we could review the current status of an ongoing RPG in the Arena and do things like what were mentioned before. (Writer of the month, creator of the month, coordinator of the month, ect.) Just let you guys know what I mean, for the more popular RPs, like OB Survivor, we could talk about the current challenge, who's expected to do good and not-so-good and who we think should leave the game and whatnot... Also, we could advertise stuff from the Inn. It could kind of be like Joko's "Upcoming Events" that he did for a couple of issues where he gave previews to promising RPs. We could advertise promising RPs that were open in the Inn...
[/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]It's funny how you quoted my entire post yet failed to realize that I already suggested all of that in the very same post, lol.[/font]

Oh, I thought you were talking about actual video game RPGs... Sorry I'm tired, but I guess it's good to see that I'm not the only one to come to that idea.

[B]Edit:[/B] After rereading that quote, I just realized that I'm a complete idiot! *Slaps himself* as I said earlier, I'm tired, but I guess I just skimmed that entire bottom portion and didn't pay attention to what I was typing... I'm gonna delete that comment because I'm completely embarrassed. Well then, I don't even know why to keep this one since it doesn't really offer much... I guess I'll just say

I want to write for the paper really really REALLY badly. 'Kay! :D

[SIZE=1][COLOR=Navy]I really do hope that we can get a constant newspaper for OB going because I think it'd be a really big hit and I'd feel that it would be helpful, because I honestly don't frequently visit the other forums besides mainly the Arena so it'd be cool to be able to know what's new and all that. The others ideas mentioned in the thread have been great.

I'm willing to offer up my services to do writing for this, after all, I'm kinda studying this type of stuff in uni so I guess it'd be a helpful experience? Do let me know if you need me in any way.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

All right here's what we have so far:

[CENTER][SIZE=3][B]OtakuBoards Communiqué[/B][/SIZE][/CENTER]

[B]Entertainment[/B][INDENT][information here on interesting threads, etc.][/INDENT][B]Community [/B][INDENT][information here on interesting threads, etc.][/INDENT][B]Creative Works. [/B][INDENT][information here on interesting threads, etc.][/INDENT]
[B]Members[/B]
[INDENT][Member of the Month]
[Artist of the Month][/INDENT]
[B]Beyond OtakuBoards[/B]
[INDENT][News]
[Comics][/INDENT]
[B]Reviews[/B]
[INDENT][movies]
[books]
[anime, etc][/INDENT]
Now this is just a general idea, but as you can see stuff for each section of the boards would go into it's respective main title. Since activity varies so much I think using the same header for each section would work. We could even include the names BKstyles mentioned like Lounging Around in the banner for each section. Since I'm of the opinion that breaking it down into each area would make things more complicated than needed.

I also like the suggestion that we have more than a main dedicated staff since there are a lot of people who would like to be a part of it and by not having set staff or rather only one person per section it would make it easier if someone ended up too busy one month. Plus there's no reason why more people can't be involved. At least that's my thinking. So each section will be open for several people as well as freelance since I'm sure there might be some who want to contribute and yet not be stuck in the same area the whole time. Or guest writers who contribute occasionally.

And with that in mind it has occurred to me that the best way for people to try out is to go and find something that happened last month here on OB and write up a bit about it and submit it. Either to this thread or as a pm. Or if you want to do a review on a book or game or that works too. Or perhaps you know of someone who would make a perfect member of the month or artist of the month. Then we can start with a grand opening of a back issue if you will for the month of May.

Now if I've missed anything or you have additional ideas definitely mention them since I'm sure we could do more if we really wanted to. Anyway, I look forward to seeing what all of you contribute.

[COLOR=DarkRed]Maybe we could have researches look around the boards to see what's up. I could help with that actually. My writing skill are still in development, but I coulld do some looking to se what's up.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=DarkRed]Now that I think of it, maybe you could add a section where members give others tips on stuff. Say a member puts tips of how to make a good story.[/COLOR]

[COLOR=Indigo]Seems to me that a good place to get reviews that are fairly current is straight from theOtaku since Gail does them of new DVD releases. So with that in mind I have gone through the past month at that site and got names and links to all of the ones she has done for the newspaper. It could go under either the Review section or the News section of the paper.

[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/afro_samurai_(dvd_review)/2402/]Afro Samurai (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/black_cat_vol._4_(dvd_review)/2381/]Black Cat Vol. 4 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/case_closed_vol._3.1_(dvd_review)/2415/]Case Closed Vol. 3.1 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/demon_prince_enma_vol._1_(dvd_review)/2389/]Demon Prince Enma Vol. 1 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/full_metal_panic:_tsr_vol._4_(dvd_review)/2380/]Full Metal Panic: TSR Vol. 4 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/gunbuster_2_vol._1_(dvd_review)/2390/]Gunbuster 2 Vol. 1 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/peach_girl_vol._1_(dvd_review)/2368/]Peach Girl Vol. 1 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/trinity_blood_vol._6_(dvd_review)/2369/]Trinity Blood Vol. 6 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/tsubasa_reservoir_chronicle_vol_1_dvd_review/2401/]Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Vol 1 DVD Review[/URL]

And there you have it. The nice thing about these is that even though they are for a single DVD they are newly released as well. Making it a good choice for people to take a look at if they are looking into getting a series.

And since you were talking about a back issue of May as a starting point I searched through that month for the DVD reviews that Gail wrote. ;) I put them in alphabetical order instead of by date though.

I can do more if you like. I'm not the best at writing up articles and such, but getting information is something I can do on a regular basis for the paper.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE=indifference][COLOR=Indigo]Seems to me that a good place to get reviews that are fairly current is straight from theOtaku since Gail does them of new DVD releases. So with that in mind I have gone through the past month at that site and got names and links to all of the ones she has done for the newspaper. It could go under either the Review section or the News section of the paper.

[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/afro_samurai_(dvd_review)/2402/]Afro Samurai (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/black_cat_vol._4_(dvd_review)/2381/]Black Cat Vol. 4 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/case_closed_vol._3.1_(dvd_review)/2415/]Case Closed Vol. 3.1 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/demon_prince_enma_vol._1_(dvd_review)/2389/]Demon Prince Enma Vol. 1 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/full_metal_panic:_tsr_vol._4_(dvd_review)/2380/]Full Metal Panic: TSR Vol. 4 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/gunbuster_2_vol._1_(dvd_review)/2390/]Gunbuster 2 Vol. 1 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/peach_girl_vol._1_(dvd_review)/2368/]Peach Girl Vol. 1 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/trinity_blood_vol._6_(dvd_review)/2369/]Trinity Blood Vol. 6 (DVD Review)[/URL]
[URL=http://www.theotaku.com/news/view/tsubasa_reservoir_chronicle_vol_1_dvd_review/2401/]Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle Vol 1 DVD Review[/URL]

And there you have it. The nice thing about these is that even though they are for a single DVD they are newly released as well. Making it a good choice for people to take a look at if they are looking into getting a series.

And since you were talking about a back issue of May as a starting point I searched through that month for the DVD reviews that Gail wrote. ;) I put them in alphabetical order instead of by date though.

I can do more if you like. I'm not the best at writing up articles and such, but getting information is something I can do on a regular basis for the paper.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=tahoma]I don't know how this comment will be perceived but as great as each of her reviews are (and i mean that, I read all of them when i have the time) they are reviews for TheO. It's been a bit since the direct ties between OB and TheO have been severed, and this is our newspaper. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be redundant to constantly take such written reviews and articles from TheO because they've been written already. I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't mind undertaking the task of writing up DVD reviews for the animes that interest them as they come out or as they get them her on OB. It gives people more options to write and that way it's like our own contribution since it's the OB news, not TheO news.

I'm not saying we couldn't use some reviews every now and then, but not to fill up our review section with already written ones from another source.
[/font]

[QUOTE=BKstyles][font=tahoma]I don't know how this comment will be perceived but as great as each of her reviews are (and i mean that, I read all of them when i have the time) they are reviews for TheO. It's been a bit since the direct ties between OB and TheO have been severed, and this is our newspaper. I guess what I'm saying is that it would be redundant to constantly take such written reviews and articles from TheO because they've been written already. I'm sure there are plenty of people who wouldn't mind undertaking the task of writing up DVD reviews for the animes that interest them as they come out or as they get them her on OB. It gives people more options to write and that way it's like our own contribution since it's the OB news, not TheO news.

I'm not saying we couldn't use some reviews every now and then, but not to fill up our review section with already written ones from another source.
[/font][/QUOTE]Not to be picky but you seem to have missed this part:[quote name='indifference][COLOR=Indigo]Seems to me that a good place to get reviews that are fairly current is straight from theOtaku since Gail does them of new DVD releases. So with that in mind I have gone through the past month at that site and got names and links to all of the ones she has done for the newspaper. It could go under either the [B]Review section[/B] or the [B]News section [/B']of the paper. [/COLOR][/quote]I don't think she was suggesting that we only use reviews from theOtaku, or that we couldn't write our own. And I see no reason why we couldn't include it in the news section that is as the title put it [B]Beyond OtakuBoards[/B] Though it would probably be a good idea to have more than just reviews from other places for the part that comes from other sites.

Besides isn't Gail a member of OB? Isn't her user name Panda? So technically you could consider it to have been written by an OB member. At least I'm pretty sure that it's her. lol

[B]EDIT:[/B] Okay I checked and it is her Panda's the Category Moderator of Community for the site. As well as an Administrator for theOtaku.

[quote name='Rachmaninoff]I don't think she was suggesting that we only use reviews from theOtaku, or that we couldn't write our own. And I see no reason why we couldn't include it in the news section that is as the title put it [B]Beyond OtakuBoards[/B'] Though it would probably be a good idea to have more than just reviews from other places for the part that comes from other sites. [/quote]

[font=tahoma]You'll find little to no trace of such accusations in my post, but rather an expressed deterrent of my indicated issue. This is what I meant by i don't know how the comment will be taken, but i assure you I did not misunderstand the post toward the direction of thinking that she meant that we would [i]only[/i] take reviews from TheO, and i especially did not condemn the idea of using it for the [b]Beyond OtakuBoards[/b] section.

My apologies if my concern was taken the wrong way, I just wanted to make sure that we do not become reliant on these reviews as primary source since it would cut down on the options for the OB writers to write.

Also yes Gail is Panda I believe, but i was pointing out that they were written [i]for[/i] TheO, not by a member of just TheO. [/font]

[COLOR=goldenrod][quote name='BKstyles][font=tahoma']My apologies if my concern was taken the wrong way, I just wanted to make sure that we do not become reliant on these reviews as primary source since it would cut down on the options for the OB writers to write. [/font][/quote]No worries there, I understood what you were getting at. And I would prefer if we have reviews written by members. At least for the review part. But for the beyond OB section, theO is a good source since Panda does write great reviews. ^_~ Oh and yes, it is the same person.

I say we whack indifference for not being more clear. Or Rachmaninoff for getting the wrong idea. :p[/COLOR]