OtakuBoards

OtakuBoards Newspaper

Aaryanna_Mom

[color=#606060]I think the newspaper may need to be separated from Otakupedia so that they aren't exactly the same thing. A newspaper shouldn't be like an encyclopedia - I think it should be more conversational than Otakupedia, probably.

My suggestion would be to pool your resources and publish something weekly or bi-weekly - it could include imagery, links and interviews as well as just articles.

I think your articles could be different to Otakupedia - smaller articles with a more conversational tone. You could cover general trends and the less "significant" subjects on OB. That way you can co-exist with Otakupedia.

Otherwise if you want to merge with Otakupedia...you might as well just post in the Otakupedia thread, you know?

Of course, if you produce a couple of longer and more in-depth pieces...there's no reason some of those couldn't be picked up by Otakupedia in the future. So you can cross-over while still being different.[/color]

• Replies 143
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I have no intention of turning it into a branch of Otakupedia. ;) For the same reasons you just mentioned James. Though I certainly see no problem with articles being adapted to fit Otakupedia.

Anyway... I am sorry that I have not gotten this going. I've been having trouble with my health lately so I've been feeling out of it for a while. Some of the articles I have not received yet, however, I already have more than enough for a first edition. I have decided to ask my daughter to do the actual thread with the newspaper since she understands how to do the tags and such far better than I do. So she's going to be our publisher.

So you can all expect it up in the next day or two. ;) Also it looks like we will be going with the second banner, so thanks again for all the work in making one for this project. Also, for those articles I didn't get, still send them to me since they can go in the next edition. :catgirl:

[FONT="Tahoma"]I was thinking that this thread, much like the Otakupedia Suggestions thread could be stickied for usage by the newspaper's writers in order to discuss what articles need to be written, who is planning on writing what article, and for what issue of the paper it will be intended for. This would be a lot easier and quicker than the writer's conversing only via PM. This way everyone knows who is doing what, there is no danger of a duplicate article, interview, etc.

A_M can also use it for article requests and such if people either need help deciding on what to write or if something in particular is exceptionally noteworthy.[/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']I have decided to ask my daughter to do the actual thread with the newspaper since she understands how to do the tags and such far better than I do. So she's going to be our publisher.[/QUOTE]And done. That took forever! Between setting up the links/tags to each section, and removing all the color and font tags from the actual articles to checking and rechecking to hunt down stray tags messing things up... I spent over two hours on that post.

So you guys had better like it! [/end of empty threat] Oh and one other thing DB my mom is holding back on the caption contest article since she wants to combine it with other game threads to make it a more general article. If that makes sense. So it's going to go into the next edition. ^_~

Anyway... It's up! :catgirl:[/COLOR]

Thank you very much hun, just trying to figure out so many tags was giving me a headache. And you got it exactly like I was wanting it to be. ^_~[quote name='Shy'][size=1]Anyway, this was a really interesting read. My expectations for an OB newspaper were pretty low, but you totally blew me away. I can't wait to read the next installment, and hopefully I can contribute some articles of my own.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]Glad to hear it. ;) Though if anyone has suggestions on how to improve it by all means speak up. I didn't get as much done as I would have liked due to not feeling well. So I'd like to make sure there's more involvement from everyone who was interested in being a part of this.

So once I finish with the holiday I'll be asking for more articles; reviews; member of the month and artist of the month recommendations as well as more ideas of what to include. The format is by no means set. ^_~

*cough* And some of us will actually get an article to you this time. Heh. Especially with how nifty looking that first edition was. I especially liked the in depth one BKstyles did on the Panopticon. And the interview was an unexpected and yet nice touch.

As for articles, I even have an idea, and once I think on it a little more I'll come back and announce just what it is so no one else does one on the same topic at the same time.

[COLOR="Indigo"]I rather liked that first edition as well. The layout with all the links was great, as well as all the articles. I especially liked BKstyles's reference to the imprison system in his article:

[INDENT] [I]the real fun of this system was seeing what kind of disconcerting method of punishment the deranged mind of Indifference could come up with each time a rule was broken.[/I][/INDENT]

Anyway, I'll get the ball rolling for the next edition. And to that effect I have sent you a short article on this thread Aaryanna_Mom: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57263"][B][U]Movie Limericks [/U][/B][/URL]

If I think of others I'll come back and either edit this post or simply post to indicate what I am working on.[/COLOR]

Thank you very much Crystia for the first article, or rather the second since I still have the one I'd like you to expand 2007DigitalBoy. And to do that I'd like you to add these two threads into the mix, a sort of these types of silly games pop up from time to time sort of deal.

[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57363"][U]Would you rather? version 3.0[/U][/URL] ~2007DigitalBoy
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57356"][U]What do your Avatar, Signature and title say to other people?[/U][/URL] ~2007DigitalBoy

Also I went through the boards looking for some things to report and this is what I've found so far. But by all means if you see something else then declare your intent to write about it by posting here.

[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57362"][U]Guide To Becoming An Internet Superstar At OtakuBoards - An Essay[/U][/URL] ~SunfallE
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57084"][U]Graphic Worm 2007[/U][/URL]
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57470"][U]What is OB?[/U][/URL] ~2007DigitalBoy
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57478"][U]Sci-Fi Showdown [Duel] - [PG][/U][/URL]

These last two are tied together. Because the closure of the padded room party lead to the controversial thread[I] I'm a little confused[/I]. Which was later removed. But this chain of events lead to the creation of the thread about what is and isn't appropriate for the Adventure Square.

I'd prefer that someone who followed along and read the [I]I'm a little confused [/I]thread before it was removed, since I'd like it to tie together. And include the fact that Desbreko closed the Survivor 4 thread as a type of joke/teach deal in regards to the whole affair since Sandy closed the Padded room party and that spawned the [I]I'm a little confused[/I] and so on.

[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57468"][U]¡The Return of the Padded Room Party ! Everyone Invited! [PG][/U][/URL] ~BKstyles
[URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showthread.php?t=57473"][U]What kinds of threads are and are not appropriate for the Adventure Square?[/U][/URL] ~BKstyles

Also for who ever does the What is OB, I picked that because it's where James posted indicating that he had banned Copycatalyst A move that made quite a few members happy. So I'd like it to include that thread and the controversial events that surrounded it in the end.

And the Sci-Fi showdown even though the stories are not posted yet seems like a fun idea for the OB Anthology. And since we are still on a monthly schedule, it should be finished before the next edition. So someone can claim it, and then wait for it to be concluded to write the article.

Anyway... If the rest of you have any ideas or other stuff that would improve the format of the actual paper thread just let me know.:catgirl:

[COLOR="goldenrod"]Well since I commented a few times in the thread I'm a little confused before it was removed I'll take those last two. Since I remember enough to give a little bit of a summary. as to what went down. I'll get started on it. ^_^

As for suggestions. I really don't have any since I thought the first edition looked fantastic. :catgirl:[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]I do have a suggestion or rather request of the authors who write the articles. Please leave out the font and color tags for the actual article when you send it to my mom. >_< Those were a pain to remove since all it takes is one missed tag to mess things up.

Trust me, if you all did that I'd love you forever. :catgirl:[/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="goldenrod"]Well since I commented a few times in the thread I'm a little confused before it was removed I'll take those last two. Since I remember enough to give a little bit of a summary. as to what went down. I'll get started on it. ^_^

As for suggestions. I really don't have any since I thought the first edition looked fantastic. :catgirl:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]Damn you sunflower, you have no idea how glad i'd be to write an article on those.

and @ Aaryanna: No problemo, makes things easier for us :p[/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='BKstyles'][FONT="Tahoma"]Damn you sunflower, you have no idea how glad i'd be to write an article on those. [/FONT][/QUOTE]Well if you really want it that's fine by me. ^_~ I'd have no problem doing [I]Guide To Becoming An Internet Superstar At OtakuBoards - An Essay[/I] instead. Because honestly I don't mind at all. Especially if its something you'd really like to do an article on. [/COLOR]

[quote name='SunfallE'][COLOR="goldenrod"]Well if you really want it that's fine by me. ^_~ I'd have no problem doing [I]Guide To Becoming An Internet Superstar At OtakuBoards - An Essay[/I] instead. Because honestly I don't mind at all. Especially if its something you'd really like to do an article on. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Damn you BKStyles, I would've love to do an article on those two threads! i can actually here you're 'JUST AS PLANNED!' maniacal laughter in the background :animecry:

Anywho, Aaryana Mum, assigning me to articles without my permission? You're lucky I like you XD Anywho, I'll happily do them game threads as well as lay claim to the What is OB? thread.[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]Anywho, Aaryana Mum, assigning me to articles without my permission? You're lucky I like you XD Anywho, I'll happily do them game threads as well as lay claim to the What is OB? thread.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]I'm glad to hear that you like me. ;) My reasoning however was that since you already wrote the first one it would be unfair to turn around and give the assignment to someone else. :catgirl:

I do find it funny that three people want to do the dual one with the most controversy attached to it. Well other than the What is OB? since that includes the banning of CC/Mitch. And since SunfallE said she was fine with you doing it BKstyles I'll go ahead and indicate that you will be doing it.

Also, I'd if anyone has recommendations for member of the month or artist of the month I'd like those sent via pm so it's a surprise to the member in question. And I'd still love to see some reviews written by members. I was glad we had the links for theOtaku. But I'd love to see some done by OB members.

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']I'm glad to hear that you like me. ;) My reasoning however was that since you already wrote the first one it would be unfair to turn around and give the assignment to someone else. :catgirl:
[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]He gets attached pretty easily A_M, once you get to know him, he isn;t that bad.:p

As for me, I really need to get crackin! But I don't know where to find leads, or how too! But I'll try my best! And if there is anything interesting that needs an article, I'll try and tackle it. That is if you allow it, I don't want to do something without your permission.

EDIT: I'm up for reviewing a game I have around the home.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='BKstyles'][FONT="Tahoma"]and @ Aaryanna: No problemo, makes things easier for us :p[/FONT][/QUOTE]:love2: Consider yourself loved. ^_^

As for actual articles... I'll take the Graphic worm since I think it would be fun to point out how it ran last year and earned an official spot at OB like Otakupedia did. With it's own link for viewing last year as well as the contributions being made this year. ^_^

And I must say, that Sci-Fi challenge up between BKstyles and SunfallE has me wanting to challenge someone to a similar duel only in Fantasy! Hehe, I just need to find a victim! :catgirl:[/COLOR]

[quote name='Aaryanna'][COLOR="goldenrod"]:love2: Consider yourself loved. ^_^

As for actual articles... I'll take the Graphic worm since I think it would be fun to point out how it ran last year and earned an official spot at OB like Otakupedia did. With it's own link for viewing last year as well as the contributions being made this year. ^_^

And I must say, that Sci-Fi challenge up between BKstyles and SunfallE has me wanting to challenge someone to a similar duel only in Fantasy! Hehe, I just need to find a victim! :catgirl:[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Tahoma"]:animeblus. Hehe.

Looks like we started the trend, SunfallE. Wonder who's gonna step up to Aaryanna's challenge :p. Also, you could have done the article if you wanted. I really wouldn't have minded...but since you've already picked another one out and A_M has me down suppose I would just be complicating things further if I didn't go through with it, heh.[/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='BKstyles'][FONT="Tahoma"]:animeblus. Hehe.

Looks like we started the trend, SunfallE. Wonder who's gonna step up to Aaryanna's challenge :p. Also, you could have done the article if you wanted. I really wouldn't have minded...but since you've already picked another one out and A_M has me down suppose I would just be complicating things further if I didn't go through with it, heh.[/FONT][/QUOTE]*dances* I made BKstyles blush! Tee Hee! :D

As for the challenge. Oh this just makes me want to giggle, but I got an answer to that challenge in less than three minutes from posting it! So as soon as we hear back from the people we'd like to be judges Jokopoko and I will be doing a story spar in the world of Magic and Fantasy!

Oh and just to stay on topic. *cough* I'd like to do the article on the spar between you and SunfallE once it comes to a completion. ^_^[/COLOR]

• 3 weeks later...
[FONT="Comic Sans MS"][COLOR="goldenrod"]Just to let you know A_M I've almost got my article ready for you. Heh, it's been a challenge on how to write it since some of it was considered an ego trip instead of a method to becoming a superstar. Anyway, I'll have that sent to you in the next day or two. ^_~[/COLOR][/FONT]

Thank you everyone who has sent me an article so far. :catgirl: As well as the recommendation for member of the month. What I still need is a recommendation for artist of the month, if you know someone who fits, send me a pm with the information on them.

Also, those of you who offered to be editors, speak up and let me know if you have time and I'll get what I have sent off to you so you can get it back to me next week. I also need to know if others have articles that they are finishing up, or reviews and news to submit.

Like before, I am not exactly aiming for the first of the month, but I do intend to get it up within the first week, so if you have something for me or are close, just let me know so we can get it into this edition.

[quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']Also, those of you who offered to be editors, speak up and let me know if you have time and I'll get what I have sent off to you so you can get it back to me next week. I also need to know if others have articles that they are finishing up, or reviews and news to submit.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I've just been sitting here, waiting for a go. Anytime you want, ma'am. :animesmil[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]I've just been sitting here, waiting for a go. Anytime you want, ma'am. :animesmil[/FONT][/QUOTE]
[size=1][color=#8B008B]As have I. I'll have work off from Monday to Wedneday so send anything my way. =][/size][/color]

• 2 weeks later...
Just a quick heads up people, if you have an article ready please get it to me ASAP since I am going to have Aaryanna put up the next edition either tomorrow or Friday. I'm still waiting on the revision to the game threads from you Revelation and the revision on the events threads from you Allamorph.

I do have some other material that I've been given, but instead of delaying things further I intend to go ahead and get it up instead of sending those other one's to editors at this point.

Anyway, thanks again for all your hard work people. :catgirl:

[FONT=Arial]I believe I've sent you everything. In fact, the events was the first one I sent back.

If you didn't get it, I'll re-send it.

-A

[B]Edit:[/B] Okay, so it isn't in my sent file. Odd. Sorry; I must have dreamed that or something. :p I'll get it to you asap.[/FONT]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"][quote name='Aaryanna_Mom']Just a quick heads up people, if you have an article ready please get it to me ASAP since I am going to have Aaryanna put up the next edition either tomorrow or Friday. [/QUOTE]And it's up! :catgirl: If anyone had an article that was almost ready, finish it up and get it in ASAP so we can get it to the editors and have it ready to go for next month. Also, once again I am so glad OB got updated. Posting something like that is so much easier with the changes. Hehe. Oh and thanks for leaving out the color and font tags everyone. That too made it easier. [/FONT][/COLOR]