OtakuBoards

Favorite 'old school' anime

ChibiHorsewoman

I got sucked in back when the Sci-Fi Network would play anime features on Sunday mornings. So I still have fond memories of watching heavily edited versions of Akira, Demon City Shinjuku, Wicked City, and Ninja Scroll.

It wasn't until Sci-Fi showed the first four episodes of Record of Lodoss War, and then stopped showing anime altogther, when I really started seeking it out. I really wanted to find out how that story ended I guess...

Old school anime for me is anything that used be on Toonami back in the day.

Sailor Moon- definatly had a huge crush on Jupiter way back in the day.

Thundercats- I fondly remember finding an old photo of me in a Thundercats shirt when I was like 4 or 5. I didn't remember anything about the series until I caught it on Toonami. I'm still a fan.

DBZ- I remember when a friend of mine got an uncut verison when I was like 14 and we were so excited cause they cussed it. Ah those were the days.

For this last one I wanted to put on here I honestly know very little about. I remember it well due to the fact my parents video taped a few episodes for me. Unfortantly the vhs tape got left in a box in the garage after we moved and was ruined by mold.... I still have fond memories of the series and would like to see all the episodes (which I haven't been able to find anywhere on the net :( and if anyone know where I can find them let me know)

Galaxy Rangers- Goose was like a cross between Clint Eastwood and astronaut. (kind of the idea of the show....) Doc also had those little virus things that hacked into alien computers. I'm blanking out on the girl's name and the leader that had the crazy arm...

It is a great series I remember from my childhood.

Edit: so I just recently found the offical galaxy ranger website!!!! this is what I'm talking about
[URL="http://rds.yahoo.com/_ylt=A9G_bDt_bDJLM5sAh0CjzbkF/SIG=12bphvejc/EXP=1261682175/**http%3A//www.anime.com/Galaxy_Rangers/images/circle01.jpg"][IMG]http://www.anime.com/Galaxy_Rangers/images/circle01.jpg[/IMG][/URL]

this was released back with HeMan and Thundercats back in the day....

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Hmm... I guess [b]Record of Lodoss War OVA[/b] counts as old school. Fun fact: It's actually the first anime I ever watched subbed! It was a pretty good anime, although I ended up liking the TV series pacing or plot or something better...
But still, RoLW is probably the best classic fantasy style anime I've seen yet. Think Lord of the Rings in terms of, well, everything. Dragons, elves, dwarves, evil sorcerers, yada yada. I really wish they would have translated the original novels 'cause I'd love to read them. :(

• 3 years later...
  • 1 year later...

I was baby sitting for my neighbors and they had a bunch of Sailor Moon videos, so I was automatically drawn to the ones in pink and sparkly boxes. I was about 13 or 14 at the time so late 90's. They let me borrow them, kinda like a video store.

I would watch DBZ Kai on Saturday mornings but I swear they played the same 2 episodes every month. I didn't get into DBZ until early 2000's and it's because of my husband, who was also my boyfriend at that time in high school. ^_^ 

I watched stuff like Pokemon, Yu-Gi-Oh! and Inuyasha in the late 90's and early 2000's but back then you'd have to watch it during after school cartoons or Adult Swim or buy videos from ebay. Sometimes they'd have a few in movie/novelty shops like Sunrise. The Struggle.  If streaming existed back then it would've been a different story. I know it. lol 

My heart will always belong to "Vampire Hunter D." It was my first anime, watched when I was too young for it. I was like 8 or 9 and I stayed up late and snuck downstairs to watch channels I shouldn't have. I also Hellsing. I guess there's a vampire theme going on here. 

• 3 months later...

Oh oh oh! I got this one; I enjoy a lot of mecha genres and especially the old school ones. I am a fan of Macross/Robotech series and Captian Harlock series as well.

Sailor Moon

My sister got me into this and I really love it! I am a member of like a few dedicated Sailor Moon forums. 

Cowboy Bebop

Classic space meets western. Love the characters, concept and love affiars.

Dragon Quest: Dai's Great Adventure

I mean come onnnn! Awesomeness.

The Vision of Escaflowne

WHo can forget this awesome mecha anime series and gorgeous movie??

Neon Genesis Evangelion

This...everyone shouldk now this series of fudged up pervertedness epic doom. So epic and classic.

Revolutionary Girl Utena

Also a messed up series and movie. An anime you have to watch more than once.

There are also favorites of mine! I can always rewatch these over and over!

Now I do have old school anime movies I like :

Maully, on 20 Feb 2015 - 11:32 PM, said:

My heart will always belong to "Vampire Hunter D." It was my first anime, watched when I was too young for it. I was like 8 or 9 and I stayed up late and snuck downstairs to watch channels I shouldn't have. I also Hellsing. I guess there's a vampire theme going on here. 

I agree! One of my favorites, alongside Akira and Grave of the Fireflies. 

Edited by Kiki

• 5 months later...