OtakuBoards

Shows from your childhood

ChibiHorsewoman

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy] Due to the Transformer's movie coming out this month and the fact that a friend of mine has gotten my both She'Ra Princess of Power DVDs I've decided to start reminiscing about TV shows that you may have watched as a kid.

I can't get a good post up now since I have a migrain. But I remember Rainbow Bright being one of my favorites. I even went as Shy Violet for halloween one year in a costume that my mom made... I even had a wig made from purple yarn!

Another good one was Jem and the Holograms., It really fit in with the 80's. Music videos, hair bands and trying to give kids subliminal messages through animation. Loved it.

So who else wants to share?[/color][/font]

[font=comic sans ms]I might not be able to list/remember the all the old shows I've watched back in the day. I have a hard time remembering most of these new shows that's been cancelled and whatnot. So to go reminiscing about the old.. This will be a hard task.

Let's see.

[b]Teenage Mutant Ninja Turtles[/b] - I can't forget about this. I still have alot the toys, action figures in my box in the attic. (Thinking about getting rid of.) Anyways, while my brother was hooked on [i]Voltron, Transformers, GI Joe, and Heman[/i], and my sister was on [i]My Little Pony and Carebears[/i], Turtles was my show. I dressed up as Raphael on one of those Halloweens back in the day.

And then it's the disney line-up that I wouldn't mind them putting back on someday. [b]Ducktales, Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers Darkwing Duck..[/b] I can't remember that other program, but it had something to do with some bears.. I want to say Gummi Bears, but it just don't seem right for some reason.

And then we also have [b]Alvin and the Chipmunks[/b] little program. [b]X-Men, Spider-Man, Batman, and for some reason Mr. Bogus...[/b] I remember the name, but don't remember anything about the show itself.

And then we move out of the cartoon area for some sitcoms... Starting with [b]Save by the Bell[/b], which I cannot watch anymore due to Screech. [b]The Cosby Show, Different World, Fresh Prince of Bel-Air, and [strike]Power Rangers[/b] (Why in the world is this still on tv?)[/strike]

Tv was my life back in the days. Still is in a sense, but "shrugs". I know there's alot more that I can't remember.[/font]

[SIZE="2"][COLOR="SeaGreen"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]@Phenom: Were you perhaps thinking about Tailspin? It was a pretty awesome show, and featured Baloo as a pilot.

In any case, there are tons of great shows on when we were kids. Specifically, I remember [B]Freakazoid[/B] [B]Animainiacs[/B] [B]Pinky and the Brain[/B] and on of my all time favorites, [B]Darkwing Duck[/B] (though Phenom already mentioned it).

It makes me sad that kids nowadays prefer to watch live shows like Lizzy McGuire and the Suite life of Zack and Cody, as opposed to cartoons.[/FONT][/COLOR][/SIZE]

Darkwing Duck!Oh my gosh I havent thought about that show in forever.I also watched Anamaniacs and Pinky and the Brain.Oh So Werid and Boy Meets World were great! Its funny because they recently started airing Boy Meets World again.I was so happy.

This thread just makes me smile.

Personally, I've watched a lot of what is being mentioned. I also remember watching Thundercats, Reboot and Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego?. I don't know what came over me to make those three shows the ones that stick out. I'm too upset at current children's programming. I also used to watch old Merry Melodies cartoons... the ones that are now off the air for being wrought with propaganda... yeah... those were the days.

"You know you're a 90's kid if you [i]knew[/i] Tommy (or Jason) and Kimberly were perfect for each other."

[color=darkred][size=1]

Who remembers [b]Street Sharks[/b]? That was all me.

I also had a great love of [b]Chip and Dales Rescue Rangers[/b]. I watched ALOT of the first [b]Power Rangers[/b] and [b]Voltron[/b]. [b]Beast Wars[/b] was a favorite of mine also. I enjoyed basically the entire [b]Nickolodeon[/b] line up. Particularly [b]Angry Beavers, The Wild Thornberrys, Aah! Real Monsters, Hey! Arnold, Doug, Kablam![/b], and [b]Rocco's Modern Life[/b]. Also, [b]All That[/b] was a regular for me.

I loved [b]Fox Kids[/b] and [b]X-Men: The Animated Series[/b] was amazing, and still is. So was [b]Spider-Man: The Animated Series[/b].

I looooooooved [b]Batman[/b]. That was probably the best put together cartoon series ever to come out of America. Is brilliant to this day. [b]Super Friends[/b] was something special. [b]ReBoot[/b] was great, as was all of the original [b]Toonami[/b] line up. Also the slightly new stuff, particularly [b]Tenchi[/b] series.

[b]Pokémon, Dragonball Z[/b], and [b]Digimon[/b] were life changers and play a large part as to why I'm here now. I used to watch alot of [b]Johnny Bravo[/b], too.

Cartoons were my past time as a kid, and I'd probably watch all of these shows today if they came on. Haha. It's a wonder I have a girlfriend... so sad.

P.S.-

How could I forget the greatest show to ever grace my viewing balls? [b]Thunder! THUNDER! THUNDERCATS![/b] HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO![/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

I enjoyed basically the entire [b]Nickolodeon[/b] line up. Particularly [b]Angry Beavers, The Wild Thornberrys, Aah! Real Monsters, Hey! Arnold, Doug, Kablam![/b], and [b]Rocco's Modern Life[/b]. Also, [b]All That[/b] was a regular for me.

I loved [b]Fox Kids[/b] and [b]X-Men: The Animated Series[/b] was amazing, and still is. So was [b]Spider-Man: The Animated Series[/b].

[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]I will agree with all the shows you named. I secretly loved the Wild Thornberrys. I will argue anyone in person on how much it sucked, but inside, I can recite the entire monolouge Eliza says in the beginning.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]Who remembers [b]Street Sharks[/b]? That was all me.[/Size][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Holy cow! I thought I was the only one who watched that!!! That was one of my favorites!

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]I watched ALOT of the first [b]Power Rangers[/b][/Size][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
It's sad that I still do watch a lot of Power rangers... Of course it's not the new crappy versions... I try my hardest to find and download the first 5 seasons...

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1][b]ReBoot[/b] was great, as was all of the original [b]Toonami[/b] line up.[/Size][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Whatever happened to that? I guess I missed the ending, but I used to be a cult-like watcher... I loved the concept and once again, I thought I was the only one who actually liked it. None of my friends did, anyway.

Also, to add to the plethora of tv shows that I watched as a kid, I have to say [B]Gargoyles[/B], and [B]Captain Planet[/B] were two of my favorites... I also didn't mind watching [B]Freakazoid[/B] every once in a while... I never went through a Transoformers or TMNT phase. (Strange, I know, since most young boys do) That's why I feel like such a loser for wanting to go and see the Transformers movie. (Especially after I made fun of this 8th grader in my quiz bowl class for bringing the toys to school every day...)

[color=darkred][size=1]

That last three you mentioned make me feel ashamed of myself... because I loved all of them. Especially [b]Freakazoid[/b] and [b]Captain Planet[/b]... In fact. I still sing the theme song from time to time, haha.

Also, I forgot to mention [b]Animaniacs[/b] and [b]Tiny Toons[/b] (classic!).[/color][/size]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]My list of childhood shows is so different. Even though there were cartoons I ended up watching Sci-Fi shows. Even if a few of them were just re-runs.

First up was Star Trek: The Original Series with Captain Kirk, Spock and McCoy. I couldn?t get enough of it. I just loved the idea of being in space.

Next was Battlestar Galactica: Not to be confused with that silly soap opera that was recently put out. But the original that came out in 1978. We watched every episode as it was aired as a family and I had the hugest crush on Starbuck, so when it was redone I was really annoyed that they turned him into a woman. One who just grates on my nerves.

My other favorite show was Buck Rogers in the 25th Century, the one released in 1979 with Gil Gerard and Erin Gray. I can look back and laugh at how cheesy that show is, but at the time I loved it. Heh.

I was also a complete and total Star Wars fan at that time as well.

As for actual cartoons, I vaguely remember watching stuff like Scooby Do and Transformers. But to be honest, I was more into the Sci-Fi stuff and reading. Though once stuff like Darkwing Duck and TaleSpin was put out by Disney that changed. I love all of those shows. Chip and Dale Rescue Rangers, Gummy Bears, Duck Tales, they were all awesome. Even today I still pull out either my tapes or DVD and watch them.

Oh and Pinky and the brain. Heh, I just loved that show. [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1] before indie punk rock, trance and electro music and surfing took over my life I was only constrained to the television. During those days I'd watch [B][U] Pinky And The Brain[/B][/U], my sister loved that show so much she named her dogs after them, I'd also watch the orginal [B][U] Power Rangers[/B][/U] [STRIKE] [I'm the blue ranger, dont tell anyone][/STRIKE] I'd also sit there and watch the [short lived] tv adaptation of my favourite book series [at the time][B][U] Animorphs[/B][/U], which was very forgettable, as in terms of animation, I'd watch [B][U]Outlaw Star[/B][/U] and [B][U] Big O[/B][/U] even though my young mind couldnt comprehend what was going on, I still loved those shows. On a Power Rangers side note, has anyone noticed how lame the series [with the exception of Ninja Storm and Mystic Force] has recently become? [it's like they're running out of ideas.][/SIZE]

[quote name='Felix Santiago'][SIZE=1]I'd also sit there and watch the [short lived] tv adaptation of my favourite book series [at the time][B][U] Animorphs[/B][/U][/SIZE][/QUOTE]
Ha, I was so obsessed with Animorphs, (although I had never read the books; I didn't like reading when I was young) I entered a national contest and won second place, receiving the first 9 episodes of season 1...:animesigh Yeah, I still miss that show

Oh and a more childish show that no one's mentioned,(I should probably take that as a sign that it's bad) is [B]Gumby[/B]. I see how stupid the show is now, but I believe it became my favorite after I lost interest in Barney and before I became obsessed with Power Rangers...

I was never really into Pinky & the Brain or Animaniacs... It alwasy made me mad that the mice never took over the world... Poor mice, so I lost intersest after I became old enough to comprehend that they would never come out on top... And Animaniacs just annoyed me as a kid. I was never one to like that style of cartoon, and animaniacs seemed to be a re-vamped version of Loony Toons. (also, a show I never really liked)

And I don't believe I've ever seen Darkwing Duck or any of those... If they came on the Disney channel, then I know I didn't. I wasn't into Disney shows until I was about 10 or 12, when they were playing my all-time favorites: [B]The Jersey[/B], [B]The Famous Jet Jackson[/B], and [B]So Wierd[/B]. I would probably still watch them if they were still on.

[quote name='Phenom'][font=comic sans ms]
[strike]Power Rangers[/b] (Why in the world is this still on tv?)[/strike] [/font][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]Because it kicks ***.

As for that show involving bears... Gummi Bears [i]was[/i] a show on the Disney Afternoon, but I don't know if it's the one you're thinking of. [URL="http://www.retrojunk.com/details_tvshows/26-adventures-of-the-gummi-bears/"]link[/URL] for reference.

I religiously watched Fox Kids and Kids WB for quite a while, and a lot of the shows I watched were already mentioned. I'll just fill in a few others.

Big Bad Beetleborgs, Mystic Knights of Tyr Na Nog, Masked Rider, VR Troopers, Super Human Samurai Cyber Squad (I was real big on the tokusatsu, can you tell?), Samurai Pizza Cats, Thundar the Barbarian, Johnny Quest, Star Trek: TNG, King Arthur and the Knights of the Round Table, various Nintendo realated cartoons.

Man I watched a lot of TV.

Also, Pete and Pete gets its own special mention because it's the best thing in the history of ever.

Also, Felix, I didn't think any other Animorph book fans existed, heh.[/color]

Guest Tri-Edge
[b]Gumby[/b]...wow, that's a name I haven't heard in a LOOONG time. lol, I remember I loved that show, and tried recreating Gumby with some clay. I remember I used to get excited when he got in his truck (or was it his?). lol

Now, since I didn't grow up in the U.S., my favorite show of my childhood (which still is today, actually) was [b]Saint Seiya[/b], or if you were raised in a spanish-speaking country as I was, [b]Caballeros Del Zodiaco[/b]. Ah man, the violence, the bad language, the bloodshed! I loved it! lmao =D!!

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]Super Human Samurai Cyber Squad[/color][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]So I'm not the only one who liked that show, heh.

Most of my childhood ones have been mentioned already, all the Disney stuff like [b]Rescue Rangers[/b], [b]Tail Spin[/b], [b]Duck Tales[/b] and [b]Darkwing Duck[/b], though I hated [B]Alvin and the Chipmunks[/B] for some reason. All the Marvel stuff like [b]Spiderman[/b], [b]The Hulk[/b] and [B]X-Men[/b] were great as well, probably half the reason I'm such a massive nerd today.

[b]Star Trek: The Next Generation[/b] was cool, I used to sit and watch it with my dad, he'd been raised on [B]The Original Series[/b] which to this day I can't watch because of it's shite plots and dodgy actors.

After the first series of [B]Power Rangers[/B], anything that had to do with martial arts was cool for me, despite me dad being best friends with a former karate world champion, it wasn't until PW it seemed worth watching. If I remember right, [b]Captain Planet[/b] caused a "save the environment" binge in my local school when it was airing. It was funny to see classmates put their knuckles together and pick up rubbish thinking it was cool, half of them wouldn't do it for money now.

[b]Biker Mice from Mars[/b] was another one I remember. [b]Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles[/b], it was Hero on this side of the Atlantic, something about kids acting like ninjas if they saw it in the title...

[B]Saved by the Bell[/b], [b]Fresh Prince of Bell Air[/b] and the [B]Brady Bunch[/B], which was big in our house. [B]Johnny Quest[/b], [b]Flintstones[/b] and the [b]Jetsons[/b].

And of course the last big two. [b]Dragonball Z[/b] and [b]Transformers Generation 1[/b]. [/SIZE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"] [b]Teenage Mutant Hero Turtles[/b], it was Hero on this side of the Atlantic, something about kids acting like ninjas if they saw it in the title...[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

O_o I think I just threw up in my mouth a bit. You poor deprived children...

anyway, the first show I ever fell in love with (ignoring [B]Barney [/B]and [B]Sasame Street[/B]) was[B] Power Rangers[/B]. I have a truckload of power rangers toys, and my favorite was always the blue ranger since I identified with him (the smart guy in the glasses and all) and he was blue >_> I think I kept up with it through the first 2 seasons and then generally lost interest. I still remember having the cassette tapes and listening to them all the time. My favorite had to be...

[B]"White - ranger tiger power, white - ranger tiger power, white - ranger tiger power! white - ranger tiger power! tiger power! tiger power, now!"[/B]

Up next comes [B]Beast Wars[/B], which my brother and I are actually marathoning right now. I own pretty much every damn Beast Wars action figure there is, all in this huge bucket. I have the whole original line, too. I think I started to loose interest near the very end of the series, but when I was watching it I was basically obsessed. I still remember waking up in the morning and it would be the 'power block', the theme song of which was [B]'POWERIN' UP THE POWER BLOCK!!!!!![/B]'

I remember a couple other shows that I watched to a lesser extent during those times. I definitely remember [B]Beetleborgs [/B]and [B]VR Troopers [/B]which I considered both sad Power Rangers knock-offs that I was mildly interested in.

My next big obsession would be [B]Pokemon[/B], which I was introduced to just befroe it became popular and remained intensely into long after it was no longer cool to like it. Basically everyone in third grade made fun of me for always wearing Pokemon T-shirts. Anywho, at that time I was also watching all the classic cartoon-cartoons. [B]Ed Edd n' Eddy [/B]was always my favorite, and I watched [B]Dexter's Lab[/B] and [B]Powerpuff Girls [/B]more sparingly, along with all those others.

[B]Captain Planet [/B]was one that I didn't see as much, but every time I saw it I loved it. I'm known to this day for breaking into the theme song at random times. Some others that I know I liked but don't know when I was watching them were [B]Gumbi[/B], the occasional [B]Animaniacs[/B], a little [B]Freakazoid[/B]...

There are a couple shows that I had like one random VHS of but I never knew where to find the show to watch it. [B]Gargoyles [/B]was one of them, as well as an obscure cartoon known as [B]Rude Dog [/B]that I seem to be the only one who's ever heard of, but i was obsessed with it back when I was tiny.

I remember that when it comes to the old [B]Toonami [/B]shows, I couldn't understand most of them. Shows like [B]Tenchi[/B], [B]Reboot[/B], and [B]Sailor Moon [/B](which I just thought was the epitome of girly and I was alwas a manly man) went over my head.

Oh, and to [B]the Boss[/B]; [B]Thundercats [/B]is of course the greatest! [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Navy"]I love [B]Rocko's Modern life![/B] I remember heifer, he was funny as hell. But I never want to see another naked male cow as long as I live! And [B]DB:[/B] I loved [B]Ed, Edd, n' Eddy[/B] so much. I can actually imitate the way Ed runs. Me and my grandmother loved [B]Reboot[/B]. I miss that show, along with [B]SD Gundam[/B]. Yes I liked [B]SD Gundam[/B]! >_>[/COLOR]

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]

I religiously watched Fox Kids and Kids WB for quite a while, and a lot of the shows I watched were already mentioned. I'll just fill in a few others.

Big Bad Beetleborgs, Mystic Knights of Tyr Na Nog.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I commend you Nerdsy, for letting me remember the greatness that was [b]Big Bad Beetleborgs[/b] and [b]Mystic Knights[/b]. I'm ashamed of myself for forgetting them... I mean, I had the toys!

Like a few others, I'd say that [b]Outlaw Star[/b] was huge for me, but then again, it still is, so I don't rack it up as a childhood show.

I tell you what I watched as a kid, but HATED. [b]Cow & Chicken[/b] and [b]I Am Weasel[/b]... God, Cartoon Network drilled that into my psyche.

I did love [b]Dexter's Lab[/b] though. Not to mention [b]Pinky and The Brain[/b]. I've even caught myself spouting the catchphrase on occasion when someone asks me "What are you gonna do tomorrow/today, Mike?"

"The same thing I try to do everyday, Pinky.... Try to take over the WORLD!"[/color][/size]

I remember my sisters and I watching Animaniacs for hours on end every saturday morning (provided they could get me off Barney. Man, I was a wimp back then.) i loved the way the clown never got to celebrate Wakko's birthday in one piece (especially when his own balloon creations were used against him.) Shortly after WB left local airwaves, I turned to Fox, where I stayed for quite some time. Digimon, Transformers and the like. Now that Fox hosts 4Kids (Ironically, they didn't handle Digimon TOO badly,) I have a loaded cannon pointed at anyone who controls the remote on Saturday mornings (usually me.) WB recently came back to local TV, under the guise of the CW. I tried out their saturday morning lineup and found lackluster performance. Cartoons are crap nowadays. That's why more kids turn to Disney channel sitcoms.

CW Saturday lineup:
Krypto the Superdog: Since when can he even talk?
Loonatics Unleashed: I want to strangle the guy who came up with this.
Tom and Jerry Tales: Don't remake classics. It doesn't work.
Shaggy and Scooby-Doo Get a Clue: Same as above, except made worse with "superpower' scooby snacks, a "pimp my ride" Mystery Machine, and over half the crew gone (ya know, Daphne wasn't ALL looks, just 98%)
Johnny Test: Crap. Don't touch it with a 10-foot pole. Theme song's okay, though.
Legion of Superheroes: Superman's kinda gimmicky, but otherwise decent.
The Batman: Somewhat annoying VA, and Robin's a total brat, but Decent nonetheless.
Xiaolin Showdown: I could take or leave it.
Spider Riders (discontinued): If someone could find me a Sub of this, I'll take it for a spin. The dub VA's suck.

natsukashiiiiiiiiiiii
Ok.. when I was really little, like 4 or 5, we didn't have a tv so whenever I visited my grandma, who did, I'd sit and watch nickelodeon all day... :) I'd watch Aah! Real Monsters and Doug and Rocco's Modern Life and Ren and Stimpy for some odd reason.. I really didn't like any of them... (well.. I liked Doug..) And I used to watch GUTS!.. the first one, then global guts... hehe the AGGRO CRAG!!!!! I always wanted to go on that show... uh.. Legends of the Hidden Temple, Salute Your Shorts!, Hey Dude, The Secret World of Alex Mack, Clarissa explains it all, All That.. Merry Melodies/Looney Tunes (I wish they still aired those :'() pretty much whatever was on.

Then we moved, and got a tv... no cable though, and I watched Where in the world is carmen sandiego, Power Rangers!!! (I loved that show.. no idea why...) I think I used to watch Beast Wars sometimes.. uh.. Sabrina the Teenage Witch, Ghostwriter, Bill Nye the Science guy, ReBoot, Heh.. I remember seeing Sailor Moon a couple times and thinking it was the wierdest thing...
As far as non-little-kid shows went...
Star Trek: The Next Generation
Xena: Warrior Princess
Hercules: The Legendary Journeys
Star Trek: Voyager
X-Files (how many 7-year olds watch THAT show?? I was a strange child...)

The we moved again, and I'd watch Captain Planet.... he's our hero... gonna take pollution down to zero... (oh god now it's stuck in my head... NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOoooooooooooooooooOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!!!) Hmmm.. ah yeah, Speed Racer, Johnny Quest, Dexter's Lab, Powerpuff Girls, Looney Tunes again, uh... blah too long ago can't remember... I watched random MTV top-whatever-number shows...

And, of course,
They're pinky, they're pinky and the brain brain, brain, brain, brain...

I'm sure there were more.. I was practically glued to my TV when I was little...

[QUOTE]Nerdsy Said:
Did anybody have a thing for [B]Blossom[/B], or am I the only one?[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Green"][FONT="Comic Sans MS"]She was ok, though I always thought her best friend was cuter.

By the way, did anybody ever watch the morning line up on UPN (channel 13 here in socal) They had [B]Beast Warz[/B], [B]Biker Mice From Mars[/B], [B]King Arthur and the Knight of the Round Table[/B] and 2 other shows that many people seem to have never heard of; [B]Bruno the Kid[/B] (which was freakin awesome) and [B]James Bond Jr[/B]. (which was also a really fun show.) Just curious to see if anybody else saw and remembers it.

Also, I'm sad that no one has yet mentioned [B]Wishbone[/B]; my random knowledge on classic books plot lines and main characters is all in thanks to that wonderful Jack Russel Terrier.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Jiazu']And, of course,
They're pinky, they're pinky and the brain brain, brain, brain, brain...[/QUOTE]

Actually, the first one is [B]Dinky.[/B]

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iJPFSNu_QNs"]See for yourself.[/URL]

Anyway, why did all the good stuff jump the shark, anyway? Dot's contemporary translations of Shakespeare were comedic gold. America isn't making any more good cartoons (I'm actually starting to get tired of Family Guy being the only quotable one out there,) and anime Dubs are lackluster, as well.