OtakuBoards

What happened to all the swear words?!

Zen

[color=darkred][size=1]

Since when is swearing banned in the Anthology and Arena? I go back to read The Hit before writing a new chapter for it, and all the good stuff is ****'d out. When did this happen? And why?[/color][/size]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]It's on Des's to do list of things to fix since the upgrade: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=781202&postcount=22"]Bugs[/URL] Believe me I know. It mutilated my Silver One rpg even though there's very little swearing to begin with.[/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

So it's all just a glitch then?

I hope so, because Hit is about assassins, bounty hunters, and gangsters. Not the most clean cut of people. I understand that it's not necessary all the time, but I don't much want my stories censored, haha.[/color][/size]

[COLOR="goldenrod"]I'm not sure but based on what Des said it looks like even if they restore it so swearing is allowed it looks like people will have to actually edit their posts to put the swearing back in: [URL="http://www.otakuboards.com/showpost.php?p=781337&postcount=30"]POST[/URL][/COLOR]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I was afraid of that... crap.

Oh well, I guess it won't matter much. I don't think alot of people are going to be reading the 30+ pages of [b]The Hit[/b] anytime soon.[/color][/size]

it's probably because even though that your threads may be R rated, this site is still intended for those of all ages, so any random member under the age of 14 may still be offended by the blatant and constant use of curse words, sooooo that's what i say has happened.

[color=darkred][size=1]

I've been around a while, homie. It's not because of that.

You read one page of [b]Kill Adam[/b] and you'll be bombarded with expletives and naughty things. And that was by [b]James[/b] and [b]Shy[/b] (along with several other mods). That's why the Creative Works section has rating systems, so that can go on without people being offended.

[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

I've been around a while, homie. It's not because of that.

You read one page of [b]Kill Adam[/b] and you'll be bombarded with expletives and naughty things. And that was by [b]James[/b] and [b]Shy[/b] (along with several other mods). That's why the Creative Works section has rating systems, so that can go on without people being offended.

[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]Exactly. The censor was a custom thing that has been overwritten as part of the vB upgrade - it isn't a big deal, honestly. All it means is that existing swear words might be blanked out. If it's a huge issue those words can be replaced once we've sorted the filter out. It's a pain, sure, but it's ultimately not a big issue.[/color]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I've been told that. It is a bit of a pain, but it ultimately doesn't matter, seeing as how it will only effect people who want to go back and read old RPG or Anthology posts.

Any news on when it'll be fixed or will it be just when Des gets to it?[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

I've been told that. It is a bit of a pain, but it ultimately doesn't matter, seeing as how it will only effect people who want to go back and read old RPG or Anthology posts.

Any news on when it'll be fixed or will it be just when Des gets to it?[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]It'll be fixed whenever Des gets to it, yep. There are a number of other more critical things for us to look at first. The language filter in Adventure Square is a priority though so you can bet it'll be sorted out before too long.[/color]

Guest Copycatalyst
Insert four-letter word which is often starred like a star on the holy wood walk of frame here.

Insert four-letter word meaning female dog which was slangized to mean a derogatory term for a woman.

Insert three-letter word meaning happy but now having to do with sexuality here.

Insert four-letter word meaning, in political correctness, biologically-drained, biological output.

Insert explanation saying a word's connotation is often denotated.

Insert explanation here saying we are uptight Victorian apes.

Insert airy post into thread so that in all its fluffiness it cannot be deleted by mod rob.

Now end post.

Guest Copycatalyst
[quote name='Dagger']That wasn't so tortuous, now was it?

:catgirl:

~Dagger~[/QUOTE]

Yes. It was like crucifying myself on a word-cross. I bled ink. And my nails need to be filed away in a .doc. Being Jesus Christ without and a Happy Lennon Gun and a Malcolm X sun is not as shiney as it seems to illuminate insects and bugs that squashed us in pasts beyond pasts and futures to come.

[quote name='Copycatalyst']Insert four-letter word meaning female dog which was slangized to mean a derogatory term for a woman.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Last time I checked, ***** is a five-letter word. [img]http://www.orangelazarus.net/groupsounds/images/smilies/emot-fry.gif[/img][/color]

Doesn't it make it all the more fun though when you see the stuff blacked out, or the sounds bleeped out? We all know what the BLEEP you mean anyways, so what's the BLEEPin point of being able to see it in print?

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']Doesn't it make it all the more fun though when you see the stuff blacked out, or the sounds bleeped out? We all know what the BLEEP you mean anyways, so what's the BLEEPin point of being able to see it in print?[/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]In reality nothing is really being censored anyway...we've had the language filter disabled in the Creative Works area for quite a long time. That this has changed recently is really not deliberate, obviously.

I'd say there's a pretty big difference between being Victorian in approach and simply filtering out swear words in general discussion. If the former applied we'd probably also be talking about subjects and concepts as well as words and obviously that's never been an issue.[/color]

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']Doesn't it make it all the more fun though when you see the stuff blacked out, or the sounds bleeped out? We all know what the BLEEP you mean anyways, so what's the BLEEPin point of being able to see it in print?[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Because it's sometimes a pain in the *** to try and work out which curse word he used when it's just a group of five or seven asterisks put together. [/SIZE]

Guest Copycatalyst
[quote name='Desbreko'][color=#4B0082]Last time I checked, ***** is a five-letter word. [img]http://www.orangelazarus.net/groupsounds/images/smilies/emot-fry.gif[/img][/color][/QUOTE]

Oh, you know, [i]my bad[/i]. Do you feel happy that you gave me a little jab? You'd better be careful when you're dancing with a left-handed wordboxer.

Well James, what's the point? Behind the stars we all know the word is there. What does hiding it from us do? Make it seem like it's no-no and taboo? What we do with these words makes them infamous, and therefore people are more apt to use them simply because of this itself. If we actually you know, didn't make them infamously like this, the entire facade of them meaning something detrimental would dissipate. It's interesting that we put words like that on a pedestal as if to justify their exclusive use to be mean or harsh or unendearing. It's interesting such connotations even exists in our words period; it shows that this violent, mean-spirited manifestation of ourselves exists very fluently in us even to this day, as much as we seemingly say we've surpassed it. In my opinion it's just as vapid and empty as the decadence of the Victorians; and the rules around here are like that too, though apparently I posted in a thread and you changed the rules as if instantly so that you could cover yourself up and justify keeping the thread open when other people have posted such threads many other times to get them closed. . .and of course this goes back to way back when when we know, had an intro forum, where things like that would be covered--and we were more kind and open to other members. But I guess that time is gone. It's just blatant favoritism as far as I am concerned. If some 10-year-old newb posted such an intro thread you would've closed it, no two thoughts about it. Yet oh it's this member that's been here for a while so that's okay.

So you know, whatever. I don't even want to post here any more because it's such a repressive atmosphere in many ways. But it seems I've engendered some good, intelligent discussion at times; the highpoint of this being the beauty thread. Oh and you know when I tell someone how it is in another thread then my posts get deleted like they're some virus. . .

[quote name='Copycatalyst']Oh, you know, [i]my bad[/i]. Do you feel happy that you gave me a little jab? You'd better be careful when you're dancing with a left-handed wordboxer.[/QUOTE]

You might be a wordboxer, but he holds the Ban Hammer. [I]I[/I]'d be the careful one in your position, Mitch.

What comes to the absence of swear words, I didn't notice that either. It prooves how unused they really are in the Adventure Square. Nothing to make a fuss about.

[size=1]I post almost exclusively in The Arena and I really hadn't noticed. From a creative standpoint I could see why the accidental filtering may upset people, but it's not a huge deal... most of the time people can tell what you're trying to say anyway.

The only annoying thing will be when the censor is lifted and all of the old swearing is still blacked out.

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]The only annoying thing will be when the censor is lifted and all of the old swearing is still blacked out.

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]That's what I'm thinking. There's next to no swearing in my Silver One RPG, but damn if those asterisks don't look painfully stupid. [[SIZE="1"]and no their not, they just seem that way to me[/SIZE]] Especially since if it were me, I would have simply never used the swear word in the first place if it couldn't be seen.

It bothers me more from the standpoint of having good people RPGing in it that don't over use the limits I put on the RPG in the first place. So I just find it irritating. It's like they all behaved themselves only to get clobbered anyway. lol Still it was unintentional so I'm sure Des will get to it.

Though whether or not it get fixed doesn't really bother me. But I still feel the urge to go and correct each post, even though I can't, other than my own posts. And even then, I can't restore it to what it use to be. At least not yet. :animesigh[/COLOR]

[quote name='Copycatalyst']Oh, you know, [i]my bad[/i]. Do you feel happy that you gave me a little jab? You'd better be careful when you're dancing with a left-handed wordboxer.[/QUOTE][color=#4B0082]Why yes, yes I do. Thanks for asking. I thought the part where I stole a smiley from Group Sounds was especially good. It seems the cool thing to do these days.

Anyway, the filter will be fixed as soon as I can get the customer number and password for our vB license from James, then download and install [url=http://www.vbulletin.org/forum/showthread.php?t=98269][u]this[/u][/url].[/color]