OtakuBoards

What happened to all the swear words?!

Zen

Guest Copycatalyst
You think I'm afraid to be banned? I was banned before and it means nothing to me, especially in the current state of these messageboards. So you can give me your vapid little threats from your mod position. I was a mod once, you know, lol. I am not afraid whatsoever. Ban me if you want to. Oh no.

[quote name='Copycatalyst']You think I'm afraid to be banned? I was banned before and it means nothing to me, especially in the current state of these messageboards. So you can give me your vapid little threats from your mod position. I was a mod once, you know, lol. I am not afraid whatsoever. Ban me if you want to. Oh no.[/QUOTE]

But it wasn't a threat, Mitch, it was merely a statement.

Anyway, if these boards mean nothing to you as you claim, then why on Earth are you wasting your time here? Doesn't a supreme mastermind such as yourself have anything better to do?

Quit fooling yourself, we know you love this place. ;D

[quote=Shy]I post almost exclusively in The Arena and I really hadn't noticed. From a creative standpoint I could see why the accidental filtering may upset people, but it's not a huge deal... most of the time people can tell what you're trying to say anyway.

The only annoying thing will be when the censor is lifted and all of the old swearing is still blacked out.

[/quote]

[color=#606060]Yeah, this really sums it up I think.

Mitch, get over yourself. There's really nothing about OB that's "repressive" - if you think blocking out a few swear words classifies as repressive, then you don't know what the word means.

In all honesty, I think some people need a severe reality check. It's posts like that which make OB painful - not anything else.

If you dislike OB so much, don't post here. Simple. If you continue to troll the site you're only proving my point - that you, rather than OB, are the problem.[/color]

[COLOR="Indigo"]:love2: [CENTER] *[B]worships the great Dessy[/B]* [/CENTER]
Heh, I just took a look since I was considering fixing a few posts, but whatever you did restored the swearing that was already there. Which is great. Silver One had very little to begin with and like SunfallE I found those asterisks annoying. lol So I'm glad I don't have to fix anything. [/COLOR]

[color=#4B0082]Oh, hey, you're right. I guess the way the filter works must have been changed between 3.0 and 3.6, because it used to be that once a word was censored in a post it couldn't be restored even after the filter was lifted. 'Cause I didn't do anything besides install the plug-in and specify which forums to disable the filter in.[/color]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]My prayers have been answered. Thank you, sir knight.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]
[size=1]"Dear God, let me curse on OB again."

Hm. :whoops:

-Shy[/size]

[COLOR="goldenrod"][quote name='Shy'][size=1]"Dear God, let me curse on OB again."

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]Hehe, that is an odd thing to pray for I must say.

I must admit I'm glad it's fixed though, if only to preserve those few cuss words in Silver One. Because even though they didn't, I still thought those asterisks looked painfully stupid. >_<

But I'm even happier that I don't have to go back through and fix the posts. Since I would have had to hunt for them, there wasn't a lot to begin with. Heh. :catgirl:

Anyway, regardless of how it worked out. Thanks for fixing it Des by virtue of installing the plug-in.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Shy'][size=1]"Dear God, let me curse on OB again."

-Shy[/size][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

God blessed us with our colorful language, haha.[/color][/size]

[quote name='The Boss'][color=darkred][size=1]

God blessed us with our colorful language, haha.[/color][/size][/QUOTE][color=#db2007]I dunno. Most swears really aren't that colorful, just various permutations of a few stock words. Anything creative wouldn't be censored anyway.[/color]

[quote name='Sara'][color=#db2007]I dunno. Most swears really aren't that colorful, just various permutations of a few stock words. Anything creative wouldn't be censored anyway.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=darkred][size=1]

I suppose not. But then again, we would get in deep dookie if we were creative.[/color][/size]

But then again, we would get in deep dookie if we were creative.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]How so? You'd probably be worse off if you [i]weren't[/i] creative, lol.

Swearing and creativity don't really go hand-in-hand though. Swearing may or may not be there...but creativity is something else.[/color]

[color=darkred][size=1]

When I say creative, I mean somehow fitting in curse words in a regular post but in ways that get them by. Like combinding one word with another or the whole color change mid-word thing.[/color][/size]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I noticed that you can now apparently use harsher words in the Anthology whereas they used to get bleeped as far as I remember... it took me by surprise becasause I typed '****' fully expecting it to turn into '****' but it didn't...[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]It helps to know what the word was DB! XD[/COLOR]

When I say creative, I mean somehow fitting in curse words in a regular post but in ways that get them by. Like combinding one word with another or the whole color change mid-word thing.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]Oh ok, I see what you mean. I thought you meant creativity in general.

There wouldn't be any need to bypass the censor in regular posts I don't think - I think you can probably get your point across without swearing. Even though I know we have users of all ages...I'd say the vast majority still want to have some kind of standard when it comes to language use.

Still, we have censors disabled in AA because that's a whole other thing. I'm just glad that people don't have to go back and change all their posts - luckily it was all automatic.[/color]

[color=darkred][size=1]

Yeah, you have no idea how huge a relief that was for me. Haha, I know that I can express myself adequetly without the use of curse words, but when certain stories are being told, they become nearly manditory. Several of my works deal with criminals or vulgar teenagers (such as the real me, coincedentally) and whil I don't think cursing is a great thing that everyone should use, sometimes it's just in character to do it.

But yeah, I'm definetly glad I don't have to go back and change everything I wrote on [b]The Hit[/b]. That would've sucked royaly.[/color][/size]

[FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]Here's an idea, let's make the cuss words be only viewable by people of certain ages. Like, for example, if you were 13 years or younger, you couldn't post or read any cuss words. And say you were 14 or older, you could. How about that? Also, where can I post my idea's about the ********** signature size Bull****.?^^[/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Dbzman26'][FONT="Garamond"][SIZE="2"]Here's an idea, let's make the cuss words be only viewable by people of certain ages. Like, for example, if you were 13 years or younger, you couldn't post or read any cuss words. And say you were 14 or older, you could. How about that? Also, where can I post my idea's about the ********** signature size Bull****.?^^[/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]That fact that you 're supposed to be 13 or older to join Otaku[b]Boards[/b] in the first place kind of invalidates that idea. And as the Creative Works category is the only one with swear words enabled, and the fact that they have ratings for it already seems a better system.

If you want to complain about signature size, make a thread about it here in Suggestions.[/SIZE]