OtakuBoards

WORST Music Artist(s) Today

Aberinkula

[COLOR="Navy"][B]After reading the best music artist today thread and posting in it, I've decided to post it's counter-question. what are the worst bodies of music today? [/B]

[B]The Hip [/B]- My mom loves these guys, but I don't. I love rock, doesn't matter what kind of rock, but the Hip... ewww! His voice agitates me to no end, but the guitarist is good at his job.

[B]James Blunt[/B] - Blunt isn't the word, horrible is! His voice is like one-thousand nails having a party above a quiet apartment. i feel sorry for him almost. yet, the girls flock him like seagulls to a French fry. But one of my friends sung his song "beautiful" by saying, James Blunt is gay, instead of your beautiful. No that's mean to say, but when a girl like her doesn't like James Blunt, I worry that he is horrible!

[B]Now, what music artist(s) make you shudder, cry in agony and make you wish you were deaf?[/B][/COLOR]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Wow this thread is awesome...I get to rip on bands I don't like. Yeah!

Cradle of Filth- Everyone I know, including everyone in my band, loves this band but I hate them. I'm a big fan of screaming in rock, but when every song opens with a banshee shreik, I tend to walk away very quickly and change tracks...I'm not a big fan of death metal either.

Amy Winehouse-Maybe it's cause I've heard better crooner music, but I just don't like her sound. She sounds kinda like Pink going into the Jazz/Blues Genre. Her sound is unique, but not my cup of tea. Plus, I got like fifteen e-mails in one day telling me to download "Rehab" in one day.

Rain (Korean Pop singer)- I listen to a lot of J-pop and K-pop, but I just can't understand why he is such a big success....maybe it's his good looks...I don't know. Plus he was voted higher than Stephen Colbert on the Time magazine polls for fan voters online. That is going too far Rain!

[font=arial][size=1]Fall Out Boy: I don't think anyone just casually likes these guys. The world is basically polarized between people who love FOB and people who want to rip out their intestines and strangle them with said intestines. Guess which group I'm in. I don't know who told their vocalist that he could sing, nor do I understand how such lame hooks and stupid riffs can make a band so popular. And no, buff dude trying to sell me a phone, they do not get me pumped, stop putting your headphones on my tv.

Avenged Sevenfold: What self-respecting musician insults The Dillinger Escape Plan? Their guitarists might be pretty good, but the band is just a bunch of douchebags. You're cocky and you make crappy music, way to go, A7X.

Trivium, Poison the Well, and other generic metalcore bands: I don't think I needed to say anything after Trivium, actually.[/font][/size]

[color=#606060]I would agree with James Blunt for two reasons. One, his voice annoys the hell out of me. Two, his lyrics. In some of his bigger songs, I listen to the lyrics and think..."this guy has taken common lines from love songs of the last fifteen years and put them all together in the one track". There's just something highly unoriginal about a lot of his music; I think I take exception to that more than anything else.

There's only one other artist that comes to mind at the moment...Mika? I don't know how to spell it. He did that song Grace Kelly.

All I remember is the one line "Why don't you like me?" being repeated over and over in the first single, then in the second single it's "Love love me" over and over again. Does this guy have a serious self-image problem or is he just incredibly narcissistic? Not to mention that he seems to be trying to bring back some kind of 70's element that is long since dead for a reason. lol[/color]

[SIZE=1] I really dont like that Blunt guy, it's like he sucked in helium and he got kicked in the balls. it makes me cringe everytime I hear his voice. Yet I dont understand why girls like a guy that sounds like he got a gender change. =/

oh, I also hate [much against my little sister's love for them] Fall Out Boy it's like they started the killing of rock music as we know it, with their crappy, repetitive chord progression, lack of guitar solos and that Peter Wentz guy, he thinks the world revolves around him. he [out of all of them] needs a kick in the throat.

I also hate those emo bands, they all sound the same! >_<
oh, The Almost is really annoying too.
seriously who names their band the [B][U][I] Almost[/B][/I][/U]? does it mean they admit that they suck when the state their name?[/rant][/SIZE]

[quote name='Sesshomarufan']
Rain (Korean Pop singer)- I listen to a lot of J-pop and K-pop, but I just can't understand why he is such a big success....maybe it's his good looks...I don't know. Plus he was voted higher than Stephen Colbert on the Time magazine polls for fan voters online. That is going too far Rain![/QUOTE]

[color=dimgray] :/ I [i]like[/i] Rain. Truthfully his hip-hop/upbeat songs are just horrible, but his ballads are very nice. And yes, he is very good-looking. ;) [spoiler]He actually looks masculine.[/spoiler] OT: Did you see Stephen Colbert's parody of Rain? Seriously, check it out. One of the most hilarious things ever.

But right now I hate Gwen Stefani. I don't even really know why, but she's just a celebrity I really don't like. Her songs annoy me, partly because I don't like the sound of her voice and mostly because they're just irritating. The Harajuku girls or whatever also irk me. I don't even know what happened there.

Kanye West is sort of off-putting, too. His songs are good, but they're not explosively great or anything, and it's annoying to see him think he's the God's gift to the world. [/color]

[quote name='Lunox'][color=dimgray] :/ I [i]like[/i] Rain. Truthfully his hip-hop/upbeat songs are just horrible, but his ballads are very nice. And yes, he is very good-looking. ;) [spoiler]He actually looks masculine.[/spoiler] OT: Did you see Stephen Colbert's parody of Rain? Seriously, check it out. One of the most hilarious things ever. [/QUOTE]

Hehe. He's singing in Korean!! That was a funny video. And he exploited every Korean stereotype of Korean people.

[Quote=Lunox]But right now I hate Gwen Stefani. I don't even really know why, but she's just a celebrity I really don't like. Her songs annoy me, partly because I don't like the sound of her voice and mostly because they're just irritating. The Harajuku girls or whatever also irk me. I don't even know what happened there.

Kanye West is sort of off-putting, too. His songs are good, but they're not explosively great or anything, and it's annoying to see him think he's the God's gift to the world. [/color][/QUOTE]

Kanye was cool with me, until he got on the tube and freaked out Mike Myers and Chris Tucker at the same time. I forgot what he said, something about some guy hating black people....but when you make Mike Myers and Chris Tucker both do a double take at the SAME time...that's just going too far.

Gwen Stefani is one of my favorite artists for her musical beats that Pharell produces,which are just awesome. The beat for Wind it Up was great. And you can't tell me that we didn't all have Hollaback Girl on our Ipod's at one time or another.

It was about Bush. It was surprising and probably stupid, but what can you say. I don't think two comedians being surprised by something said on live national TV makes it all that amazing, though. People are always surprised in those venues when people say stuff of political ramifications... they don't want to piss anyone off. Ratings and complaints are important.

Personally, I don't usually let the personality of artists affect my interest in their music. Most of the time it doesn't matter. I'm sure I'd hate almost every one on the planet to some degree if I knew every stupid thing they've done.

At the same time, Kanye has done some pretty stupid ****. I think the cake being when he sampled Diamonds are Forever and didn't credit Shirley Bassey, the singer. When asked about it he said something to the effect that he didn't know who she was, thought she was some "no name" singer.

The basic idea of it is stupid in and of itself, but basically what he's saying is that if the artist isn't big he should be able to sample them without repercussions as he pleases. I find that pretty disgusting, honestly, and definitely something that puts more of a negative spin on the artform.

My main problem with Kanye is that I don't think he's a good rapper. There's that whole aspect of "where did this come from?!" because his songs before breaking out were all [I]terrible[/I]. There's a conspiracy theories about that (ghost writers), but regardless... The guy is a decent producer and I think that's what wins people over. I hardly think he's a [B]worst[/B] artist, though.

Most of the things I really do not care for I have a hard time calling just plain terrible. I could fill up a room with the names of bands I don't like, many of which were probably mentioned in the best artists thread lol. Opinions are opinions, though.

[quote name='Sesshomarufan'] And you can't tell me that we didn't all have Hollaback Girl on our Ipod's at one time or another.[/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]******** I can't. For one, I don't own an iPod; second, I [i]loathe[/i] Gwen as a solo artist, I've never had that song on any music player I've had, be it CD or just my computer. I don't even listen to any radio stations that play it.

Also, I hate My Chemical Romance, because they butured "Under Pressure."[/color]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]Avenged Sevenfold: What self-respecting musician insults The Dillinger Escape Plan? Their guitarists might be pretty good, but the band is just a bunch of douchebags. You're cocky and you make crappy music, way to go, A7X.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I agree. I like A7X's music, but they need to watch the insults, since they seem to not realize where they fall in in the heiarchy of bands...

First, [B]Artists i despise[/B]: Rhianna (there's only one freaking 'e' un 'umbrella'), any generic RnB singer, T.I (I will shoot this man), Gwen Stefani (I have yet to hear a song of hers that didn't make my eardrums bleed), Hilary Duff, Lidnsay Lohan, Kelly Clarkson (eww...), that one slut who's always on the news who's name escapes me, um... every crappy pop artist in history... the greater majority of rap artists....

[B]Bands I despise[/B]: Fall Out Boy, The Used, My Chemical Romance (someone throw them in a volcano, please), Hawthorne Heights, 30 Second to Mars, Dashboard Confessional, Underoath, Angels and Airwaves, As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, Between the Buried and Me, Blink 182, Bullet for my Valentine, Chimaira, Demon Hunter, Every Time I Die, From Autumn to Ashes, From First to Last, HIM (someone kill Ville Vailo please...), Killswitch Engage, Mudvayne, New Found Glory, Norma Jean, Papa Roach, Plain White T's, Radiohead, Staind, Taking Back Sunday, The Academy Is..., Thrice, Thursday, Yellowcard ( I can't believe they have the nerve to cal themselves 'unique')

That covers all the ones I particularly hate. There are plenty of other bands I don't like who I just don't know the name of/can't think of any songs by XD[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]I agree. I like A7X's music, but they need to watch the insults, since they seem to not realize where they fall in in the heiarchy of bands...

First, [B]Artists i despise[/B]: Rhianna (there's only one freaking 'e' un 'umbrella'), any generic RnB singer, T.I (I will shoot this man), Gwen Stefani (I have yet to hear a song of hers that didn't make my eardrums bleed), Hilary Duff, Lidnsay Lohan, Kelly Clarkson (eww...), that one slut who's always on the news who's name escapes me, um... every crappy pop artist in history... the greater majority of rap artists....

[B]Bands I despise[/B]: Fall Out Boy, The Used, My Chemical Romance (someone throw them in a volcano, please), Hawthorne Heights, 30 Second to Mars, Dashboard Confessional, Underoath, Angels and Airwaves, As I Lay Dying, Atreyu, Between the Buried and Me, Blink 182, Bullet for my Valentine, Chimaira, Demon Hunter, Every Time I Die, From Autumn to Ashes, From First to Last, HIM (someone kill Ville Vailo please...), Killswitch Engage, Mudvayne, New Found Glory, Norma Jean, Papa Roach, Plain White T's, Radiohead, Staind, Taking Back Sunday, The Academy Is..., Thrice, Thursday, Yellowcard ( I can't believe they have the nerve to cal themselves 'unique')

That covers all the ones I particularly hate. There are plenty of other bands I don't like who I just don't know the name of/can't think of any songs by XD[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Hey I hope you know, Kelly Clarkson is cute! I admit, I've seen the video to Never Again, and I must say, I'd kill to see her get out of a bathtub!

My Chemical Romance. The music''s good... but the band!

My friend thinks the lead singer is so damn sexy! But guess what? he's ugly as hell's ***!

i agreee with every band you hate DB, except: Mudvayne, Killswitch Engage adn Bullet for my Valentine. HIM... :blowup: That's all I have to say about them.

[B]Rap artist's I actually do like: Jay-Z and Eminem.
Rap artist's I do hate: VERY ONE EXCEPT THE TWO!!![/B][/COLOR]

[font=comic sans ms]Hard to say especially when one such as myself don't listen to much to begin with. (Or rather, I only listen to one specific genre these days, gospel) Lack of interest in music or no one is putting anything good out there to grab my attention. "shrugs"

My only source of music is the radio, unfortunately, and I only listen to it when I'm in a vehicle. I don't look at videos unless it's the mid 90's stuff. (Or I come across them while channel surfing.)

Anyway, from what I've heard off the radio.

[b]T-Pain[/b] is probably the worst I've heard thus far. I don't pay attention to much of what he is saying, but I can figure out what it's about just from the title of any of his songs. I think one of the songs I heard is called [i]I'm in love wit a stripper[/i].

Can't remember the other artist(s).[/font]

I hate everything you'd expect me to hate:

God-awful poser wannabe bands whose fans actualy believe they're metal, such as Avenged Sevenfold, Bullet for my Valentine, Trivium, etc.

Mallcore bands such as Slipknot, Devildriver, Ill Nino, etc.

And Nickelback. No-one should like Nickelback. I don't even understand how they're still making "music".

I can stand most rap music, but when R. Kelly came out with Trapped in the Closet, I just shuddered. I listened to it and when he mentioned there was a midget in the song, I was like "Aw, here it goes..." That kind of stuff needs to stay away from music altogether, this kind of rapping soap opera. It's not even a song when you think about it...it's just him telling a story but in a singy type of voice. Kind of like a telegram guy....

*R. Kelly's voice*

Mrs. Pemberton...Stop
I regret to inform you...Stop
That your husband...Stop
Is...Stop...Is...Stop...
~~~~~~~
Fade to black...

Tune back in to watch *Trapped as a Telegram Reader* ^_^

[quote name='Nerdsy'][color=deeppink]******** I can't. For one, I don't own an iPod; second, I [i]loathe[/i] Gwen as a solo artist, I've never had that song on any music player I've had, be it CD or just my computer. I don't even listen to any radio stations that play it[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=3]I'm going to second that motion. And not just because I don't own an iPod. I liked No Doubt. They had some good tracks and Gwen Stefani was a wonderful artist back in the day (I even have their greatest hits CD) But something happened when she decided to go solo and hired her Harijuko (sp?) girls and launched LAMB. That girl should just go into hibernation until she comes to her senses.

Paris Hilton... okay so that's like a given... I mean who likes Paris Hilton? Even as a person who really likes that snotty stuck up self absorbed *pulls out a thesourus* no-breasted uh... witch? No wonder her dog kept running away!

Practically any screaming metal band ever invented. I love yelling and everything, but when your singing voice sounds like you've got something caught in a meat grinder it's time to throw in the towel.

Rush. I'm not just saying this because it was my ex's favorite band. I'm saying this because every damn song of theirs sounded the same with a few tweaks in the rhythm, the lyrics or the tempo.

B4U- Dammit all I don't even know or care if it's really Be 4 You or whatever. But they're some J-Pop band that a friend of mine is obsessed with. He talks about them and obsesses about them so much that I don't even want to hear any of their songs. I've already determined that they suck and that I want to pierce my own ear drums if I'm ever forced to listen to a CD of theirs.

Red Jumpsuit Apparatus: No one has mentioned them yet.. shocker. I liked their one song- Face Down, but the rest of the CD is horrendous. I think I would have been better off buying Danielle Peck's self titled album and a large double double.

And now I'm done... if you'll excuse me I have to go do something besides rant.[/color][/font][/size]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=3]B4U- Dammit all I don't even know or care if it's really Be 4 You or whatever. But they're some J-Pop band that a friend of mine is obsessed with. He talks about them and obsesses about them so much that I don't even want to hear any of their songs. I've already determined that they suck and that I want to pierce my own ear drums if I'm ever forced to listen to a CD of theirs.
.[/color][/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Silver"]Don't go near a DDR machine then, they are littered by songs by Be For U. I don't really have a problem with them, they are just like J-pop's version of the Spice Girls or RBD. But I think that hating them just because your friend obsseses over them is a little extreme. I've had that syndrome too with FALL OUT BOY (yes I like them, but I don't obsess over them, I do listen to them casually) I LOATHED them, just because everyone around me liked them so much. Then I listened to their CD and found some tracks that I liked. I hate their Guitarist though, Pete? He is such a self absorbed ***-hole, he had the nerve to question Brandon Flowers of the Killers that FOB was riding on the coattails of the Killers' success? Oh yes you were FOB...YES YOU WERE[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[SIZE="2"][FONT="Courier New"]I'm going to have to agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far, with the exception of the Avenged Sevenfold supporters. I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Nickelback yet. I really don't see whatever it is that their fans see in them. [/FONT][/SIZE]

[quote name='DaSilva'][SIZE="2"][FONT="Courier New"]I'm going to have to agree with pretty much everything that's been said so far, with the exception of the Avenged Sevenfold supporters. I'm really surprised that no one has mentioned Nickelback yet. I really don't see whatever it is that their fans see in them. [/FONT][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Go back and read my post, I did mention Nickleback.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Haha! Looks like Jake finally came back and is as pissed at crappy bands as ever! I have no idea how I overlooked Nickelback, one of the horrendous, sucky mainstream bands that make no sense. Everytime I hear 'look at this photograph' befroe abruptly switching channels i feel like puking.

Oh, and I totally forgot From a Second Story Window and Vampire Moose[/COLOR]

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"]
Oh, and I totally forgot From a Second Story Window[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[font=arial][size=1]Their recorded stuff is pretty generic, but you really need to see them live. They are so much better, they play their stuff faster and it's just more energetic.

Oh, and who did you see, DaSilva, who was supporting A7X here? Don't misunderstand, I want those guys dead, haha.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Sesshomarufan'][FONT="Century Gothic"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="Silver"]Don't go near a DDR machine then, they are littered by songs by Be For U. I don't really have a problem with them, they are just like J-pop's version of the Spice Girls or RBD. But I think that hating them just because your friend obsseses over them is a little extreme. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=3]You only say that because you didn't have to listen to him gush about them for two months straight... every email, every IM, ever away message and every phone call. Trust me it gets old and annoying. But so did Shake It by Andre 3000 (or whoever that was) a few years back and I can almost tolerate that song now... so maybe in another five years I'll put up with that band.[/color][/font][/size]

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="2"][COLOR="Green"]I see your plight, but trust me there are worse songs to hear from DDR and Japan. Here's another band I love to hate.

AQUA- You may know them from Barbie Girl fame, but I know them as the most annoying band/group in the world. Their stuff is all sort of Ace of Base ish, where everyone's beats are the same, just with new words. But unlike Ace of Base, who are also Norweigan BTW, Aqua has the most annoying female singer. My sister had their old album and trust me, it got old quick when we listened to it on car trip. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

Worst Artists of our time:

Musicians whose perogative is one of enhancing an image, or creating wealth (or the appearance thereof). There is a large list of pop-rock bands that fall into this category.

Also, bands that make no efforts to make their music indivual and interesting are terrible. Innovation is key in artistry, and so far there are few bands with the balls to experiment with their sound, to risk putting out a terrible album for the sake of furthering the greater cause of music.

I think it's truly unfair to the real artists out there to refer to those who do not innovate as "artists" or "musicians". It's insulting to those who have to actually try to make an album great. Sure, not everyone can make a great album, but why are those people involved in music in the first place? It seems silly that of the recent explosion of music into the mainstream (due to the expansion of a mass media capable of reproducing audio at a minimal cost) there are so few out there who actually "create" music, and so many that merely "play" it.

I guess that's my take on it. Also, Nickelback is ****ing awful.

[quote name='2007DigitalBoy'][COLOR="DarkOrange"] Every time I hear 'look at this photograph' befroe abruptly switching channels i feel like puking.

[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]If only the photograph had a pic of someone breaking all of their albums in half and eating their flesh. But we can only dream...

I hate Kelly Clarkson's music genre, and I hate her music, but I can watch her videos. I have a kiddie crush on her yhat's why.

Jake hates Slpiknot, and I can't blame him. I'd lke to wrap a bass guitar cord around the lead singer's neck. [/COLOR]

[quote name='0ber0n the Neko']
I think it's truly unfair to the real artists out there to refer to those who do not innovate as "artists" or "musicians". It's insulting to those who have to actually try to make an album great. Sure, not everyone can make a great album, but why are those people involved in music in the first place? It seems silly that of the recent explosion of music into the mainstream (due to the expansion of a mass media capable of reproducing audio at a minimal cost) there are so few out there who actually "create" music, and so many that merely "play" it.
[/QUOTE]

[color=#606060]It's interesting you say that.

In this thread there's a lot of discussion about what groups we don't like (i.e. personal taste) but there's little objective discussion about which artists are actually innovating.

For instance, Gwen Stefani. I'm the first to say that I'm not really fond of a lot of her newer stuff. But you know what? I think she's far more innovative now than she was with No Doubt. "Innovative" doesn't necessarily mean "pleasing to the ear", but honestly, I look at the last five or six songs she's released...and they're all doing something quite diffferent - genuinely different. Each new release is different from the last and as a sum, all of her post-No Doubt stuff has been significantly different from general mainstream pop.

So although I doubt I'd buy any of her albums, I feel I have to give her a lot of credit for daring to be different in an age where confirmity rules all - especially in the pop music scene. I don't know how much of it is her, but even her music videos are remarkably unique compared to the general stuff that's out there. I assume she's the one driving it all, so yeah, I tend to give her credit for being relatively daring in a fairly conservative field.

I think my atittude toward music has changed a lot in the last few years, with this sort of stuff. I listen to a lot more pop music now than I ever did before - maybe because I'm at an age where I don't care what's considered "cool" (not that I ever really cared; I think I just literally listen to more pop now than before). I just listen to music if I like it - and if there happens to be a strong creative element behind it, I appreciate it all the more.

An example of this would be Australian artist Candice Alley. I think she's just released her second album. I'm only vaguely familiar with most of her music - but I recently bought "Before You Go" from iTunes music store (interestingly the album version is accoustic where the "radio" version is totally electronic...I prefer the former honestly).

Now you may listen to this song and think "Just another pop track". And yeah, it is. But Candice Alley wrote the lyrics, wrote and performs all of the accompanying music [i]and[/i] she's essentially her own producer and promoter.

So far she's had a fair bit of air time on smaller stations in Melbourne but not much exposure nationally. I really think it's a shame. While her music isn't incredibly innovative, it's catchy and shows talent - and most importantly, it all comes from her.

I would be disappointed if artists like her were swept under the "mainstream pop crap" label that so many young people seem to use these days. In many ways, mainstream music can be the hardest to produce - I'd say it's more difficult and requires arguably more talent to produce something enticing for a mass audience than to produce something that caters to only a small range of listeners.

I tend to like a bit of everything, but sometimes I feel that the words "mainstream" and "pop" are used incorrectly - in a derogatory sense, where these words don't necessarily need to have that connotation (especially when such a connotation discounts the efforts made by writers, singers and producers - many of which, I'm sure, work very hard and are very talented).[/color]