OtakuBoards

WORST Music Artist(s) Today

Aberinkula

[SIZE="1"]Oh. Where to begin? Let's take out the media player shall we? Most of this is due to my rap obsessed brother who blasts music 14 hours a day.

Probably the most hated, [B]Lil Wayne[/B]. I'll admit, his rapping is a little more original and something more of what I actually consider "rap" but I can't stand the way that he sounds. It's like he's still going through puberty or something. He matches his music really well but I can't stand listening to any of his songs but one. And I'll rarely listen to that.

Next, [B]Snoop Dogg[/B]. Somewhat the same. I don't like his voice. It's scratchy and not very deep. But his freestyle is ok with me. Nothing that's been recorded though catches my ear.

[B]Kanye West[/B].....He tries too hard, he's too determined to give himself all the credit, and I've never heard a rapper talk about himself so much. Even if that's all they ever talk about. He takes it to the next level.

And to change up some genre, [B]Hinder[/B]. I've heard them. I can't say I want to again. Their music composer doesn't do too well of a job putting his work together. Especially "Lips of an Angel." Someone told me about this song so I listened to it as soon as I could to see if it was anything. I turned it off because I was barely halfway through. It's just not worth my wasted time.[/SIZE]

• Replies 145
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I get what you mean about Kanye talking about himself a lot - but I do love a few of his songs that have been on the radio (can't think of names right now). I definitely don't think I could sit through one of his albums without getting a little bored.

Snoop is ok. At least his voice is different! His subject matter, and that of a lot of that kind of rap, is pretty boring though. That's what gets the most I think. If rappers chatted about something half decent I'd like them a lot more. That's why, in my opinion, Kanye is one of the better ones!

[quote name='Sloth Girl'][SIZE="1"]Oh. Where to begin? Let's take out the media player shall we? Most of this is due to my rap obsessed brother who blasts music 14 hours a day.

Probably the most hated, [B]Lil Wayne[/B]. I'll admit, his rapping is a little more original and something more of what I actually consider "rap" but I can't stand the way that he sounds. It's like he's still going through puberty or something. He matches his music really well but I can't stand listening to any of his songs but one. And I'll rarely listen to that.

Next, [B]Snoop Dogg[/B]. Somewhat the same. I don't like his voice. It's scratchy and not very deep. But his freestyle is ok with me. Nothing that's been recorded though catches my ear.

[B]Kanye West[/B].....He tries too hard, he's too determined to give himself all the credit, and I've never heard a rapper talk about himself so much. Even if that's all they ever talk about. He takes it to the next level.

[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]I used to like rap music, but now, it's just a waste of talent. All they do is scrutiize blacks and black women. It's our word? Screw that, if you can say that we can too. But the thing is most of us don't because we're not racist. And hen white eople dress "gangsta"... bouy I'd like to rip off their pants and reveal how shameful they look.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Starfire0567']Well then that being said I'm giving my opinion on your opinion.

Unintelligent? Dearie,you are the unintelligent one. You know what? You are indeed the stereo-typical metalhead. Way to go proving we're different. And for one thing,emo isn't screamo. They're two different things. Learn the difference.

I'm the ignorant one? Haha funny! You're one who's getting all ***** about this.[/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]Hun, I think you're getting a bit too worked up over things. You can't judge someone as a metalhead because they like music and for the most part, you're going off topic. This isn't about you. This isn't about them. This is about music. So if you don't like it you're wasting my reading time with your useless rambling. Go somewhere else like a PM or IM maybe, and stop adding unneccessary things to other people's threads.

And for the plus, he's still right.
[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]I used to like rap music, but now, it's just a waste of talent. All they do is scrutiize blacks and black women. It's our word? Screw that, if you can say that we can too. But the thing is most of us don't because we're not racist. And hen white eople dress "gangsta"... bouy I'd like to rip off their pants and reveal how shameful they look.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
That'd be lovely.[/SIZE]

[quote name='I'm Not Nomura'][COLOR="HotPink"][B] She said unintelligent things about music, I pointed her out. Does...anybody actually know what emo is? It's screamo. Wowwwww. Research. Wiki.

Sorry, ChibiHorseWoman, but you shouldn't have said anything like that without actually knowing what the hell you were talking about.

[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]So we go back to where since I don't like your music I'm unintelligent. But I shouldn't get mad when you say that right? It's just an opinion. If I called you ill mannered because you don't like country music and tell you to do research you shouldn't get mad because it's my opinion.

Let's see what else... oh don't tell me that I'm not allowed to form an opinion on something I don't like before doing research. How do you know that maybe just maybe I did listen to metal for a while and have decided that I don't like it.

And this ends my defending myself.... I have bigger things to worry about than someone I don't know say that I don't know anything about music

Hey can I say I hate elevator music? Or Soft rock? It puts me to sleep. Certain pop music makes me want to throw up... Oh yeah! I know a genre that I hate... Children's music. Anyone who has a toddler can probably relate with me. So far the only decent toddler songs are from my daughter's Philadelphia Chicken CD... and two other ones from the same publisher.[/color][/font]

[quote name='ChibiHorsewoman'][color=#9933ff][font=lucida calligraphy]

I know a genre that I hate... Children's music.[/color][/font][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]Sometime's I wish mother goose would get her tail cooked. Children's music is a lot worse than any other genre you could think of.

Sometimes I wish the wheels on that damn bus would fall off thus causing mass panic, that'll teach kids who are under the driving age aboutthe harm busses cause.[/COLOR]

[IMG]http://warnerkirby.blogs.com/photos/uncategorized/the_more_you_know775718.jpg[/IMG]

[FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue]People, please, let's keep things civil. This thread is bound to generate replies that you do not agree with[/COLOR][/FONT][FONT=Verdana][COLOR=blue] and you're welcome to voice your opinion but do so without insulting other members.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]My god...

Nom, you (string of explatives), what the hell right do you have to judge the fact that someone doesn't like screaming? Just cuz you don't like screaming doesn't mean you misunderstand the genre. I think I understand the (vast plethora of) genres of metal far better than you do, Nom, and I'm mature enough to know that some people don't like screaming regardless of the music behind it.

I don't even like screaming myself! Death Metal bands almost always sound like ******** screming into the mic with their pseudo-toughness, black metal bands think their all damn dramatic - it's annoying far more often than it's cool and by the way, they put the freaking lyrics over the music most of the time, so if you don't like the lyrics, it can be impossible listen to.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]I used to like rap music, but now, it's just a waste of talent. All they do is scrutiize blacks and black women. It's our word? Screw that, if you can say that we can too. But the thing is most of us don't because we're not racist. And hen white eople dress "gangsta"... bouy I'd like to rip off their pants and reveal how shameful they look.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I think you're just listening to the wrong groups. None of the hip hop I listen to even covers those topics... in some cases, they speak out against it. I could name off several off the top of my head, but I doubt anyone would care.

The thing I'm noticing is that almost every one in here is taking their thoughts (many of which are far from objective and seem to be based on a certain period of time and very specific artists) on what they've heard of a genre and applying it to the [I]entire[/I] genre and all of its sub-genres... and that doesn't necessarily work.

Plus whether or not "nigga" or whatever else is an acceptable word for [I]anyone[/I] is a whole other topic. There are blacks out there that don't think this is something that should be done either.

[quote name='Sloth Girl'][SIZE="1"]

And to change up some genre, [B]Hinder[/B]. I've heard them. I can't say I want to again. Their music composer doesn't do too well of a job putting his work together. Especially "Lips of an Angel." Someone told me about this song so I listened to it as soon as I could to see if it was anything. I turned it off because I was barely halfway through. It's just not worth my wasted time.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[SIZE=1] I agree with you on both accounts, why did Kanye West kill [B][U] Harder, Better, Faster, Stronger[/B][/U] with his egotiscal rapping about how much better he is than everyone else? I havent lost respect for [B][U] Daft Punk[/B][/U] but, I have lost respect for rap music in general, I didnt even like it in the first place.

On the hinder note, what is up with that guy's voice?! it's like a cat's tearing out his vocal chords. it's very annoying.[/SIZE]

[quote name='I'm Not Nomura'][COLOR="HotPink"][B] Does...anybody actually know what emo is? It's screamo. Wowwwww. Research. Wiki.[/B][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=deeppink]I'm sorry, what? Are you saying that emo is screamo? Or are you saying that RJA is screamo?

I did the Wiki research (I assume you meant Wikipedia, correct me if I'm wrong), and it basically said neither are true. While it claims screamo evolved from emo (specifically emocore), it did not claim that screamo was emo.

At least, not current emo; current screamo apparently is the same thing as early 90s emo, which I must stress is considered different than modern emo. However, I can almost guarantee that no one here is referring to that era of emo, save perhaps you.

RJA is also not listed as emo.

Pehraps you could elaborate on what you mean? Or perhaps provide a more reliable source than a wiki?[/color]

[font=arial][size=1]If you read that Wiki article, it says that the current emo stems from Jimmy Eat World and Dashboard Confessional, and the term was basically used to separate their lyrics from those of other rock bands at the time. These bands weren't any different from pop-rock, but their record companies advertised them as this certain image, and I know at least Jimmy Eat World [i]hated[/i] it.

Bands like My Chemical Romance are nothing more than alternative rock. Bands like Underoath are Metalcore (although with some emo influences). Those bands are all so different from eachother that it is impossible that they are in the same genre.

Meanwhile, there are hundreds if not thousands of modern, active bands that fit the 80's and 90's emo style and have continued to evolve it like how it should be in any genre. As far as screamo evolving from emo, that's not necessarily true. Screamo was coined as a term for the resurgence of the old style of emo when the new style was in full swing and is the generally accepted term for all of the hardcore punk-influence emo. Unfortunately, as Wiki will point out, Screamo is often attached to any band that screams, including metal/core bands, which is ridiculous.[/font][/size]

The only real point to be made here is that almost no one on the planet uses genres (particularly sub-genres) correctly and thus I don't really see the point in having to really differentiate between them to this degree. I suppose it is of interest when really trying to pin down what you like and what you do not so that you may find new groups that interest you, but when it has to debase into "he doesn't scream like this so it's not my genre!!!" I think it's into new territory entirely.

This isn't in reference solely to screamo vs emo, since I know of the differences, but rather this whole overall wave of [I]be really specific or I'll rip your face off[/I] genre discussions that seem to have taken over the Internet. I don't even know how people [I]enjoy [/I]music anymore.

Meanwhile, we have people writing off really amazing bands such as Say Anything that don't fit into ANY definition of "emo", whether it's low key crap about feelings or screamo or whatever else. I mean, what's the point of genre labeling in this case? To dismiss a band for false reasons? I mean, it's one thing when you apply the things [I]correctly[/I] (like perhaps I'd say Jake does), but it's another when you apply these [I]incorrectly[/I] as attacks. I don't even see the point.

We're in a situation where somehow "indie" is a genre and if no one else finds that ridiculous, I'm not sure what to say. Genre whore-ism has to die.

[size=1]Semjaza just spoke a good deal of wisdom there. But for some reason, I'm going to talk about genre... heh.

Specifically, I'd like to talk about rap vs hip-hop. It's a saddening trend that everyone considers them equivalent, and thus hate them both. It bothers me that people lump them all together, consider the artists untalented, and the music as a whole garbage. Granted, you don't have to like it, but at least see the artistry involved?

My point here is that rap is the worst music today. Music that glorifies homophobia, senseless violence, buying caddies instead of saving. Music that preaches mysogyny and materialism. Generally, this is the stuff you hear on the radio. You do find a few gems here and there, though... like Common and Kanye.

Hip-hop doesn't really glorify anything. I consider it more a chronicling of life. Usually this life is an impoverished, inner-city life, and the music exposes all those blemishes. It's thoughtful and much more pensive than its belligerent counterpart [rap].

*hops off the soap box*[/size]

[quote name='Semjaza']The only real point to be made here is that almost no one on the planet uses genres (particularly sub-genres) correctly and thus I don't really see the point in having to really differentiate between them to this degree. I suppose it is of interest when really trying to pin down what you like and what you do not so that you may find new groups that interest you, but when it has to debase into "he doesn't scream like this so it's not my genre!!!" I think it's into new territory entirely.

This isn't in reference solely to screamo vs emo, since I know of the differences, but rather this whole overall wave of [I]be really specific or I'll rip your face off[/I] genre discussions that seem to have taken over the Internet. I don't even know how people [I]enjoy [/I]music anymore.

Meanwhile, we have people writing off really amazing bands such as Say Anything that don't fit into ANY definition of "emo", whether it's low key crap about feelings or screamo or whatever else. I mean, what's the point of genre labeling in this case? To dismiss a band for false reasons? I mean, it's one thing when you apply the things [I]correctly[/I] (like perhaps I'd say Jake does), but it's another when you apply these [I]incorrectly[/I] as attacks. I don't even see the point.

We're in a situation where somehow "indie" is a genre and if no one else finds that ridiculous, I'm not sure what to say. Genre whore-ism has to die.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]It mostly comes down to people being defensive of their genre. Someone who likes the genre known as 'emo' does not want people to think that they listen to MCR so they try to excentuate what bands are actually 'emo'.

Now this really is the wrong way to go about it. Rather than designate themself a genre, people ought to give every band a chance and say what bands they like and hate. That's why I went through the trouble of writing out a whole list of every individual band I hate except the ones I don't know the names of.Same goes for bands we like...[/COLOR]

[quote name='Retribution'][size=1]Specifically, I'd like to talk about rap vs hip-hop. It's a saddening trend that everyone considers them equivalent, and thus hate them both. It bothers me that people lump them all together, consider the artists untalented, and the music as a whole garbage. Granted, you don't have to like it, but at least see the artistry involved?

Hip-hop doesn't really glorify anything. I consider it more a chronicling of life. Usually this life is an impoverished, inner-city life, and the music exposes all those blemishes. It's thoughtful and much more pensive than its belligerent counterpart [rap].[/size][/QUOTE]
[SIZE="1"]I've had conversations with people my age about this constantly and for some reason, they always claim that hip hop is the greatest and will never die. And that rap is about real life "things" and "problems" that they see everyday and it's wrong for me to say that it's what I think; trash.

Mid 90's is when most urban music begin to just decline horribly. More stereotypical black people coming from the same areas all with the same message about hood life, their new found money, and how they enjoy to have their women. You heard less and less about real life events and trauma that most, now considered "old school" rappers, used to rap about.

For the most, hip hop and rap are two entirely different things. I've heard "No! Hip hop is a part of rap. It's still the same!" which made me want to scratch my brain out. Rap now is just noise to me. When I stop to listen, words don't even actually rhyme most of the time and the context with the song doesn't resemble the original stuff at all. Hip hop is full more of rhythm and sounds which makes it easier to dance to which is somewhat it's only reason. Now music industries are meshing the two together and all focusing it on "rap" which makes me want to scratch and tear my brain out. Nowadays, people can't even tell the difference. There are few groups or individuals who atleast can keep the two separated.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Navy"]That new hip-hop song with the rock inside it is really good. I forgot what the album is called though. The song is "Party Like a Rock Star" and it's a pretty hip-hop osng. I don't Jay-Z or eminem it's just the other artists I dislike.

I used to adore rap music, but I grew out of it. Some songs I put up with. I don't listen to much Death Metal because constant screaming bugs me. However some bands go away from their sound.(I.e Linkin Park) And it turns out either horrible or great. In LP's case their music wasn't as good as the other albums, but it wasn't crap at all, it was rather good.. A7X changed a bit when City of evil was realesed. without all of that screaming they became better. Compared to waking the Fallen which I think is a couple steps below CoE.

I used to lsiten to music like say anything, now don't get me wrong, they can play really good but I don't like the lead's voice for some reason. Some country I like because of the soothing voiceces, it's a vacation from the rock I listen to. The first time I listened to "wow... I can get sexual too" I loved it, but it's turned icky to me after the 15th time.

If I ever get an Ipod, I'll download one of their songs and see if I can have a change of heart.

I like Ozzy Ozbourne's old music, but I was put at a distance by his latest CD. I loved Chris daughtry's music when it came out on CD, but after a while i didn't like it anymore.

Music taste, is liek your taste buds. They change as you grow, as does the way you like your music..[/COLOR]

I think the rap versus hip hop argument is a fair one to deal with, despite my previous post. I suppose It's kind of like the different types of any genre, the average person cannot tell them apart because the basic construction is obviously similar... but I have to scratch my head when I say I like Edan or Mr. Lif and people equate it with something like you (Sloth Girl) are referring to. I suppose I [I]do[/I] mind when people use their presuppositions about a genre to attack it.

I actually feel that, even within the music industry, there's been more of an effort to push hip hop styles in recent years... it's definitely more single worthy, if nothing else. Unless I'm just listening to the wrong stations? lol

[quote name='Semjaza']We're in a situation where somehow "indie" is a genre and if no one else finds that ridiculous, I'm not sure what to say. Genre whore-ism has to die.[/QUOTE]

It is pretty silly. But then, I am often lost for words when people ask my what kind of music I like. I can never name a genre correctly, so I just list a load of bands. When people ask me now I just say a bit of everything (even though that is a bit of a lie, it is just so much easier to say lol).

As for rap? I don't think there are different genres within it - only those who do it well, and those who do it not so well. It is usually the lyrics that I can't deal with, as I've said. And the possible lack of musical scope or variety. That's why I like things that are a bit different.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]O.o Sorry, everybody. Yesterday=not good. ^^

Moving on.

Now, I have to say. Modern day coutnry can't stand up against old school country. Nor can hip hop.

Actual rap= Fast licks, lyrics spitting here and there, K-os, Planet Asia. Etc.

Bad Rap: Catchy sentences repeated over and over again, which involves no talent. They can be talking about bologna, and everybody down here would still listen...oh. Wait. Sorry, already had a song like that.

Good Country: The stuff that matters. Old school Johnny Cash, verging on the line of Country and rock. Or even David Allen Coe, that dude was like...the pirate of country...or...something.

Bad Country: The stuff that hasn't evolved. It evolved into something more poppy and different than old school country, and looky here. Since the nineties, it's stayed the same. It will always be the same. Albums sound exactly alike. CMT play two songs two different times...leaving you thinking..."Wait...Didn't I just hear this?"

Newschool versus old school, :[

And to the conversation while ago. If you don't like screaming period, I assume you don't like Dave Matthews. Look into it. Ferrizzle.

Yeah, Wiki's bad source, probably should've read through that once or twice lol. However, while so many people refer 'emo' as HH or other poprock/punk bands, they will never be emo. And Screamo is misused as well, for bands like Blessthefall or RJA, HH, or whatever. All that is just post/poprock/punk stuff.

And prem....Do you mean to tell me that because Matt stopped screaming a little, A7X suddenly became better? City of Evil was a pure good album. Hands down, Matt didn't even have to sing at all, it was all in the band. [/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='I'm Not Nomura'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]And prem....Do you mean to tell me that because Matt stopped screaming a little, A7X suddenly became better? City of Evil was a pure good album. Hands down, Matt didn't even have to sing at all, it was all in the band. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]'M. shadows' has to be the worst vocalist of all time, period. Back when he was screaming, he had the weakest, most uninspired bitchy scream I have ever heard. It was like listening to an iguana scream or something - or like he was half dead and grasping for breath. When he sings, he sounds like he's whining into a microphone and has next to no emotion behind his sound.

Honestly, the first couple of times I listened to CoE I couldn't eevn listen to it because his voice was so freaking annoying that I couldn't stand to hear it - especially cuz for most of the album he sings constantly and what's more there's voice overlaps all over the place so it's like hearing a chorus of dead cats belting out the lyrics.

I ended up liking the album, though, simply because it's so epic and the musicians don't deserve to be ignored just because they are brought down by their crappy lead man.

Their old albums, though, I still can't handle. That scream is positively unbearable.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Magenta"][SIZE="1"]Don't get Matt wrong...He's got a good pair of chords on him...but...he doesn't quite use them right. Put it simple, the band is amazing. The achoustic breakdowns, the drummer Rev is one of the best in his category, and all of the facemelting riffs by the three axe wielders...

Anywho.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='I'm Not Nomura'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]
And prem....Do you mean to tell me that because Matt stopped screaming a little, A7X suddenly became better? City of Evil was a pure good album. Hands down, Matt didn't even have to sing at all, it was all in the band. [/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Navy"]His screaming was so bad it distracted me from the rest of the band. And they are amazing! As for M Shadows voice, I thought he sung well in the song River, with Good Charlette.

I agree with DB, their other albums are bleh fro me. Waking the Fallen sounded like crap, except Won't See you Tonight PT1 where he didn't scream.[/COLOR]

Any band with more than one member having a poofy beard, thick-rimmed glasses, and/or playing an unconventional instrument, such as Broken Social Scene, Dr. Dog, and Clap Your Hands Say Yeah. Somehow they all seem to exude the same hip, tongue in cheek, trying-too-hard attitude, and it kills me. Have I actually [I]heard[/I] any of their music? Oh, hardly, but I'm still at that point in my life where I enjoy being irrational and unaccepting.

Also, the Beatles, for vaguely similar reasons.

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="Navy"]His screaming was so bad it distracted me from the rest of the band. And they are amazing! As for M Shadows voice, I thought he sung well in the song River, with Good Charlette. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[font=arial][size=1]Because he's with Good Charlotte. A [COLOR="DarkOrange"]dead cat[/COLOR] would sound good next to them.[/font][/size]