OtakuBoards

Pretentious Music for Pretentious Musicians

Jakehammaren

[quote name='Jakehammaren']There's not much to discuss. That statement is simply false.[/quote]

[SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Despite your response being a huge cop out, I will rephrase my previous statement:

[B]One would be extremely hard pressed to find "[U]progressive rock[/U]" being written these days.[/B]

There has been little to no progress made in the arena of "rock" in a long, long time, therefore, there is little to no progressive rock being made in this day and age.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Despite your response being a huge cop out, I will rephrase my previous statement:

[B]One would be extremely hard pressed to find "[U]progressive rock[/U]" being written these days.[/B]

There has been little to no progress made in the arena of "rock" in a long, long time, therefore, there is little to no progressive rock being made in this day and age.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]With rock still existing, there is no reason for anything to be called 'post-rock'. Come on now. No one asked genre titles to make sense.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Lethargy'][SIZE=1][COLOR=DarkGreen]Despite your response being a huge cop out, I will rephrase my previous statement:

There has been little to no progress made in the arena of "rock" in a long, long time, therefore, there is little to no progressive rock being made in this day and age.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

My answer wasn't a cop out. It was right. Your response confirmed it: it's a small genre nowadays, but it's still there. Just because it's difficult to find doesn't mean it's not there.

[COLOR="Olive"]Most likely the decline in a lot of rock music, is rap. Well, that's how I see it. The teenage population is with hip-hop, and they dare not listen to rock. It's really a shame, because rock is just SOOO deep.

But rock's sister, country is still popular. And really without country and bluegrass, rock would hardly exist. But even so, Country-rock is just plain funny weird. [/COLOR]

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]Most likely the decline in a lot of rock music, is rap. Well, that's how I see it. The teenage population is with hip-hop, and they dare not listen to rock. It's really a shame, because rock is just SOOO deep.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

What is this "decline in rock music" you speak of?

[COLOR="Olive"]well, not a decline in rock music, but more of a drop in appreciation. There's so much rap on. MTV hardly puts their rock shows on during day time. It's always at 11 PM, or sometimes later. Look if I want to watch Headbanger's ball, I want to watch it. But if I'm tired, I'm not wating too long. Especially on a shcool night. Who cares if there's screaming, boo hoo. I love hearinga few screas. Good god MTV. >_>

That reminds me, I happen to like Amon Amarth. Well, yeah one song. Black Bird something, I forgot. But it was great, and I love his vocals. Well now that I remember, I've heard two songs, but the first one I forgot too.

That Snickers commercial is kind of strange. It's like Vikings meet Chocolate.[/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]Dude, you listen to Breaking Benjamin. That's probably why you think there's a decline in rock music.

And I don't see that much of a difference between Amon Amarth's music and Metalcore. Seriously. Is that because I've only heard [u]With Oden on Our Side[/u]? It's basically metalcore with solos instead of breakdowns.

Jake's gonna be pih-hissed.[/font][/size]

[COLOR="Olive"]I love Breaking Benjamin for some unkown reason. They just haven't been knocked off their pedastal. It's the guy's lyrcis and voice that I love. Not really the playing.

I don't think Amon Amarth is metalcore, and I think Jake will be more than Pih-hissed. genre isn't a complete label for bands. Some bands have songs that aren't in their normal genre area. It's just that way. SO maybe it does sound metalcore. But I don't think Amon Amarth is metalcore.

I may lsiten to more generic rock music, but I'm very picky about it. Just becasue music I like may not be good, doesn't mean you can't be snobby about it. This kid at schools ays Papa roach is good, yeah. Whatever.I think they need to get a talent- O - Meter to test those guys out. A VERY BBBIIIGGG meter.

This guy I know say's Gorgorath is good. I don't believe him. I have problem's with a lot of very heavy metal, mostly becasue of the screaming. Sometimes it just doesn't cut it. But of coarse there are artist's that scream all the time, and do it well. But if a song has the same low-pitched scream in it, get it away from me.

The guy from Fair to Midland for example. He can scream high and low. Now FTM isn't pretentious, as far as I know, but that guy has a very good voice that would fit well in metal.[/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]Meh, Papa Roach had some okay stuff on [u]Infest[/u]. I dug it when I was 11.

And I wasn't pigeonholing Amon Amarth into the metalcore genre. I'm aware of what they are. They'd be a good springboard to get your scene kid friend into real metal, though.

I don't know, I think the main thing was that a lot of it just seems like really simple riffs without much variation. Put one of their verses next to a verse from oh... Phoenix Bodies... and tell me what the difference is. Amon Amarth just feels too "chugga chugga" to me compared to even some more bland metal bands like Saviours. They just seem to borrow a lot of their riffs from stuff like As I Lay Dying.

My my, Jake. You're looking fabulous today.[/font][/size]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]Meh, Papa Roach had some okay stuff on [u]Infest[/u]. I dug it when I was 11.

And I wasn't pigeonholing Amon Amarth into the metalcore genre. I'm aware of what they are. They'd be a good springboard to get your scene kid friend into real metal, though.

I don't know, I think the main thing was that a lot of it just seems like really simple riffs without much variation. Put one of their verses next to a verse from oh... Phoenix Bodies... and tell me what the difference is. Amon Amarth just feels too "chugga chugga" to me compared to even some more bland metal bands like Saviours. They just seem to borrow a lot of their riffs from stuff like As I Lay Dying.

My my, Jake. You're looking fabulous today.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

Amon Amarth has, due to their record label, become tied to the vastly, unendingly stupid "-core" scene, where kids with their tight pants, comb-overs, and bad taste in music listen to them for ignorant, ironic reasons (OMG VIKINGS ARE LIEK AWESOM AND FUNNY LOLZ). Their music isn't metalcore in any way, though. Just listen more closely to their music. Lots of intertwining tremolo riffs, a lack of stupid "-core" vocals, actual key changes, and refreshingly complex song structures make them completely devoid of anything scene at all. I don't know what song you listened to, but give "Fate of Norns", "A Thousand Years of Oppression", "Gods of War Arise", "Hermod's Ride to Hel - Loke's Treachery pt. 1", and "The Last With Pagan Blood" a listen and see what you think.

And I'm not pissed. You're just wrong.

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]well, not a decline in rock music, but more of a drop in appreciation. There's so much rap on. MTV hardly puts their rock shows on during day time.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"]Here in lies the problem.

And how can you be "picky" with generic rock? Contradictions ftw.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

:animesigh

[COLOR="Olive"]Here's the answer...you can. You can be picky withanything really. Cause good music is mostly broughtby personal opinion. You can be pciky about generic music. Even though sme artists I listen to aren't, even though people say they are. It's all preferences.

How can you be picky with generic music... said the man who liked Mastadon. :P [spoiler] It's just a joke.Mastadon's pretty good.[/spoiler][/color]

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]Here's the answer...you can. You can be picky withanything really. Cause good music is mostly broughtby personal opinion. You can be pciky about generic music. Even though sme artists I listen to aren't, even though people say they are. It's all preferences.

How can you be picky with generic music... said the man who liked Mastadon. :P [spoiler] It's just a joke.Mastadon's pretty good.[/spoiler][/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]EXCEPT [B]MASTODON[/B] IS NOT GENERIC!!!!!!!!!! Breaking Benjamin is generic. Coheed, within it's genre, is prolly generic. There aren't any bands who sound like Mastodon.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="Olive"]THAT WAS A JOKE! I like mastadon, they have really good music out. And did I say they were generic. I was fricken kidding. And I know BB is, I wasn't talking about them. In fact, I'm starting to get tired of them. I was talking about Disturbed... well not necceserily pretentious, but not as Generic as other stuff I listen to.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']stuff.[/QUOTE]

[font=arial][size=1]I had some free time today, so I took another listen to the songs that you recommended that I have. I ignored the folk melodies because I knew that was part of the whole viking shtick. Generally, I'm turned off by that in metal music (but not in punk... weird) but Amon Amarth never seems to go full blast into dragon-slaying mode because there's a constant chugga chugga thing going on. Most of the viking/folk metal I've heard has parts where the entire band is devoted to these ethnic dance-y melodies, but AA feels like it only has half of that. It's brutal, but it feels light-hearted too, kind of like As I Lay Dying again. Most of the verses (other than the above folksy parts) consist of hammering the bass E string and some quick notes of a higher pitch, which is the "metal" in "metalcore," usually. That's what I heard and that's what I remarked on.

And Revolver, I don't like Mastodon, but you can't say **** about them being generic. [i]You listen to Breaking Benjamin[/i]. You can't win.[/font][/size]

EDIT: *hi-fives DB*

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]I'd really love to punch your face goodbye.... I will say this one last time... I WAS JOKING![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I hope you learnt a lesson here - pretentious people don't **** around.

Anywho, has anyone here ever heard of [B]THE ALFEE[/B]? They're a Japanese prog-rock band with that 80s prog-rock sound (since they're old as hell) I found out about them through [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=dmFGDhJDwhE]this anime opening[/url], and they sound pretty ****** great. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Olive"]And how do you think feel when people call my music bad. I take it serious too. But obvioulsy you can't be picky about generic mainstream music.

J-rock is good music, and it has some great sounds. Really it comes from Japan, and they have some pretty good stuff on the market.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]And how do you think feel when people call my music bad. I take it serious too. But obvioulsy you can't be picky about generic mainstream music. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]If you go into a a thread marked PRETENTIOUS you should expect to get roughed around. You do know the definition of the word, don't you? If you'd just listen to some better music we wouldn't have this problem :p

Also, Jake, have you heard the [B]Dethklok[/B] song "The Lost Vikings" yet? It's so [B]Amon Amarth[/B]-esque that when I get it stuck in my head I sometimes think it's them XD[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]ZOMG, just listened to [B]Fate of Norns[/B] myself... I have no idea why I don't own this album! I've thought about getting it for a long time, and I had a friend who said he'd split the price and let me keep the disk. I really might have to hurry up and get into these guys. Didn't they just release something, too? I saw some big flaming this last time I was at FYE.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]J-rock is good music, and it has some great sounds. Really it comes from Japan, and they have some pretty good stuff on the market.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]
[font=arial][size=1]Normally I stick to one bomb on you per day but...
[i]What are you trying to say?![/i] "Japanese music is Japanese" pretty much covers it, I think.

Okay, I'm done. As far as this topic goes, I'm a huuuuuge fan of a band called [url=http://www.myspace.com/officialenvy][b]Envy[/b][/url], they're kind of like Isis in the sense where they started playing heavy stuff but then it got pretty.

There's also [url=http://www.myspace.com/borisatlast][b]Boris[/b][/url] and [url=http://www.myspace.com/azap][b]Melt Banana[/b][/url]. The former plays various types of rock and metal that kind of depends on the album, and Melt Banana plays stuff that sounds like the bastard child of Deerhoof and The Locust.

Links are bolded, I'm not like you guys going around bolding every little thing.[/font][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkRed"]I hear a resounding "Aye" when I ask: should Revolver shut up?

Its ok though, little guy. According to your profile, you are younger than 17. That means you haven't developed a decent music taste yet. It's ok, some boys have it later than others. Your time will come.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="Olive"]Thanks Billy, even thhough it sounds like your giving me [B]the talk.[/B]

I have the best music out of my friends though, which isn't saying much. I hang out with the Metalhead Clique. My cousin has asome good metal. 3 Inches of Blood, however not pretentious (as far as I know) they are good, and I'd like to hear more of them. Too bad you can't find good music where I live, it's only in a handful of times where good music is found.

I do have the internet, but my parents are technologically retarded. They won't buy anything off the net. Asked them why and I got the "we can't but were not telling you why, so get a job even though you probably won't find good work at your age" speach. I can't wait until I'm 16 and can get **** easier.[/COLOR]