OtakuBoards

Pretentious Music for Pretentious Musicians

Jakehammaren

[font=arial][size=1]I actually know stuff about TSOAF, they're one of my favorite bands.

Basically, what's going on with their albums is that it's a side project for members of popular post-hardcore and alternative rock bands to play something different in. Before their only four shows in the west coast, the band had never met eachother. Instead, the artists were asked to mail in recordings of basically whatever they wanted and they would be put together into coherent music. The artists could not hear other parts of the music until the CD's came out.

I personally really like Tiger and the Duke leaps and bounds over Lover, the Lord Has Left Us. Tiger was a brilliant mix of electronics and light-hearted hardcore while the majority of Lover was really just noises put together to make beats and various vocalists singing over them.

And DB, I don't know what you expect from screams, I know you listen to them and respect them because you listen to Isis, Agalloch, and other aggressive bands. So do you not like Anthony's screams because they're high pitched? He has a shitload of talent and I'm sorry you don't see that.[/font][/size]

• Replies 115
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]And DB, I don't know what you expect from screams, I know you listen to them and respect them because you listen to Isis, Agalloch, and other aggressive bands. So do you not like Anthony's screams because they're high pitched? He has a shitload of talent and I'm sorry you don't see that.[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Well, like I said, I got used to the screams from TSOAF after listening a lot more times. Please mind you - when I first started listening to Isis I hated the vocals. I used to avoid anything with any kind of screaming or growling vocals. Isis is actually what bridged me over to liking them because of the way they sort of push the vocals behind the music.

When it comes to types of screams, I only like certain ones. First of all, I like it when they have emotion behind them (this is how I came to appreciate TSOAF screams) which both Isis and Agalloch have (agalloch being the kind of emotions unique to itself, though). I also appreciate deep screams depending on their portrayal. The type where they sound like they're just screaming as deep as possible for deepness' sake is weak. The best kind of deep screams are the ones that you hear from Opeth or even Dethklock.

I've always hated whiny or high-piched screams the most. Screamo and **** is the opposite of my forte - even in the background of the first Coheed album I couldn't take it at first. I've become more accepting, but still try to avoid.

Anyway, i don't listen for vocals in music anyway or obviously I'd've turned some of these bands away before.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]Dimmu Boirgur(sp?) , was a really good band I heard a few days ago. I heard the song was called the Serpantine something, I forgot the name. ^^;; But it was enjoyable.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Behold, the Hot Topic generation.

And for the record, Dimmu Borgir actually was quite good waaaaaaaaay back when they were a black metal band, but that ended a long time ago.

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Behold, the Hot Topic generation.

And for the record, Dimmu Borgir actually was quite good waaaaaaaaay back when they were a black metal band, but that ended a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="Olive"]I also heard the Sacriligous Scorn, and two other songs today on Yahoo. Good listens. Love to see their old ****.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Jakehammaren']Behold, the Hot Topic generation.

And for the record, Dimmu Borgir actually was quite good waaaaaaaaay back when they were a black metal band, but that ended a long time ago.[/QUOTE]

I agree with you there, but he's still good. And what I know of dimmu is that it was a one person band, he only played with others when he was live.

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]
Billy Shears (and maybe even Jake!) is(/are) going to want to punch me for mentioning this band here, but uhh...

THE LOCUST.

That's right, I said it.
The members are [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=Uqdw8wXqpA4][u]jerks[/u][/url] who are really talented but it's almost a waste because their music is mostly incomprehensible. Most of it is really intense speed punk made with synth noises and ridiculously distorted guitars, all four members screaming at you at once. If you're interested in checking them out, I recommend their album Plague Soundscapes. Their new one, New Erections, has [url=http://youtube.com/watch?v=gdfhmzcYRGc][u]one good song[/u][/url] and the rest is trash. I mean, [i]they're different.[/i]

And yes, [url=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/locustfiles/thelocust20075146aus.jpg][u]they[/u][/url] [url=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/locustfiles/thelocust20075089aus.jpg][u]always[/u][/url] [url=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/locustfiles/thelocust20075006toaus.jpg][u]wear[/u][/url] [url=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/locustfiles/thelocust20074640orl.jpg][u]those[/u][/url] [url=http://i148.photobucket.com/albums/s21/locustfiles/thelocust20074189stpete.jpg][u]costumes[/u][/url].[/font][/size][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="HotPink"][SIZE="1"][FONT="Franklin Gothic Medium"]Y'know, I was just wondering if they really wore those costumes all the time. They look as if they'd be burning up inside of them on stage. Anyway.

They achieved something. By making their music different. And then, you have quite a few other bands that call themselves noise-core or whatever. They're not quite as...well. Good as the locust, in a sense that the locust is really good at what they do.

Anyone listen to mewithoutYou? That band has started something, seriously. So many fans, so many haters, and the music is actually good. "I Never Said I was Brave" was a good EP, which was made up of hardcore songs, and then MWY changed their style to a soulful slowed down style.

I've been a fan for a while, and these guys are really original, and while alot of people don't like this band, because of their style..Who cares? They're one of the few bands that sound different from other bands on Solid State records, and I'll give them credit for that.

Songs I'd recommend-
"Four Word Letter"
"Dying is Strange and Hard"
"Carousels"
"We Know Who Our Enemies Are" (Aaron basically had a nice white-boy rap going on in this song xD)
"The Cure for Pain"
"In a Sweater Poorly Knit"

Listen to them. They're really good. :D [/FONT][/SIZE][/COLOR]

[font=arial][size=1]I'm personally sick of hearing about mewithoutYou, EVERYONE BETWEEN THE AGES OF 13 AND 18 AND THEIR GRANDMOTHER LISTENS TO THIS BAND.

They're different, but at the same time, they appeal to a WIDE range of people, Christian Metalcore idiots who will listen to anything and everything with the Solid State / Tooth and Nail stamp on it (that's where you fit in!), hipsters, hipsters with bad hair, hipsters with tight pants, and scene chicks who only like the scene and not the music.

I think we can all agree that these are some of the most annoying people in the world.

First Maylene, now this. Get out of this thread, Nomura. :D

At least Revolver's fun to pick on.[/font][/size]

[COLOR="Olive"]Yup, i'm gald to be pikecd upon. Makes me feel wanted, ya know? At least I don't listen to mewithoutYou. The best Video Game song is Blow Me away by Breaking Benjamin. Generic I know, but they made a song for the Halo soundtrack. :p Halo for christ fricken's sake. That should give you something to gloat about?

Another annoying music personna, Bono. sure he's a good guy, but will he just shut up. He has soooooooo many awards I'd like to *****-slap him and throw him into a pit of Hades.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"][quote name='Revolver'][COLOR="Olive"]Blah blah nothing important.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

Please, just stop posting in this thread. I'm abusing the mod rod, sure, but for the love of God, why aren't you making any sort of discussion? You keep mentioning the same bands, the same people, and then when other members call you out on all the total **** you listed, you then shift your judgement talk about how you don't even like the band.

Huh?/lol?:animeknow

The thread title: "pretentious". You still, for some unknown reason, post gems like...

[QUOTE][COLOR="Olive"]The best Video Game song is Blow Me away by Breaking Benjamin. [B]Generic I know[/B], but they made a song for the Halo soundtrack. Halo for christ fricken's sake. That should give you something to gloat about?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

So why do you bother posting about generic bands? Everyone has given you the shaft because you keep talking about Breaking Benjamin, so the common man figures, "hell, he might stop". Sure, this is an internet forum, you have the right to post, whatever, and I'm getting a little more worked up than usual, but there are some people who post in this thread who are trying to have a semi-coherent discussion.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='DeathKnight'][color=crimson]You know if you reverse "fact" and "opinion" that you have a statement based in truth there?

Interesting![/color][/QUOTE]

You know that if you don't change anything at all about your statement, it will continue to be a glaring testament to you not knowing what you're talking about?

Interesting!

And Dimmu Borgir has been a full band pretty much from it's inception. Dimmu Borgir is a "them", not a "he". And again, they used to be pretty good, but after Stormblåst they started going downhill fast. Now they're just another goth metal band of the more extreme persuasion for Hot Topic to shell out to mallcore kids who think it's black metal (these are the same kids who wouldn't know their Darkthrone from their Mayhem and think that Burzum is hip-hop slang for a woman's backside). Oh well... at least they're better than Cradle of Filth.

I am a self-confessed music snob, which means I have to post here.

After skimming through the rest of the thread, I came across a statement to the effect: There is no such thing as progressive rock anymore.

I am here to say this is catagorically untrue.

Progressive rock & metal are my favorite genres, and I know that they are alive and well and thriving. They may not have mainstream popularity, but that counts for nothing in the world of true music anyway.

Some of my favorite bands include: [B]Ayreon[/B], [B]Dream Theater[/B], [B]Genesis[/B], [B]Kamelot[/B], [B]Nightwish[/B], [B]Pain Of Salvation[/B], [B]Pink Floyd[/B], [B]Porcupine Tree[/B], [B]Queensryche[/B], [B]Rush[/B], [B]Spock's Beard[/B], [B]Symphony X[/B], [B]Threshold[/B], [B]Vision Divine[/B], and [B]Yes[/B].

One of the best aspects of progressive is the concept albums. Some favorites are:
[B]Ayreon[/B] - Into The Electric Castle / The Human Equation
[B]Dream Theater[/B] - Metropolis, Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
[B]Genesis[/B] - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
[B]Kamelot[/B] - Epica / The Black Halo
[B]Pain Of Salvation[/B] - Remedy Lane / BE
[B]Pink Floyd[/B] - The Wall
[B]Porcupine Tree[/B] - Deadwing
[B]Queensryche[/B] - Operation: Mindcrime / Operation: Mindcrime II
[B]Shadow Gallery[/B] - Tyranny / Room V
[B]Spock's Beard[/B] - Snow
[B]Symphony X[/B] - Paradise Lost
[B]Vision Divine[/B] - The Perfect Machine

One place I go to to listen to this amazing music (and more) is Progulus Radio.
[url]http://www.progulus.com/samPHPweb/now-playing.php[/url]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Ayreon is excellent. Well, honestly, I ony like The Human Equation (listening to now, actually). There's just some amazing and memorable songs on there. It's one of those albums that you really memorize ever note in. Favorite songs are definitely Day 3: Pain, Day 8: School, Day 12: Trauma, and Day 16: Loser. I actually bought the 2-part Universal Migrator album, but it bores the hell ou of me. Only song I really like is My House on Mars, which I love FWR.

Dream Theater is similar in this regard. I love Train of Thought, but I don't really like their oldre stuff - i ave Awake and it just bores me. I like what I've heard of the 2-disk one who's name escapes me, but it's always too expensive. As for ToT the only problem I have is that i can get a headache listening to it, and it's just so damn pretentious... however, Honor Thy Father and In the Name of God are both amazing tracks.

Pink Floyd's The Wall is great, though i only really care for select tracks. Namely, Comfortably Numb and Hey You. the movie was ****ing awesome, though, lol.

I tried to get into prog before, but it just bugs me for the most part. I think Symphony X is okay, just nothing spectacular. [/COLOR]

[quote name='TimeChaser']I am a self-confessed music snob, which means I have to post here.

After skimming through the rest of the thread, I came across a statement to the effect: There is no such thing as progressive rock anymore.

I am here to say this is catagorically untrue.

Progressive rock & metal are my favorite genres, and I know that they are alive and well and thriving. They may not have mainstream popularity, but that counts for nothing in the world of true music anyway.

Some of my favorite bands include: [B]Ayreon[/B], [B]Dream Theater[/B], [B]Genesis[/B], [B]Kamelot[/B], [B]Nightwish[/B], [B]Pain Of Salvation[/B], [B]Pink Floyd[/B], [B]Porcupine Tree[/B], [B]Queensryche[/B], [B]Rush[/B], [B]Spock's Beard[/B], [B]Symphony X[/B], [B]Threshold[/B], [B]Vision Divine[/B], and [B]Yes[/B].

One of the best aspects of progressive is the concept albums. Some favorites are:
[B]Ayreon[/B] - Into The Electric Castle / The Human Equation
[B]Dream Theater[/B] - Metropolis, Part 2: Scenes From A Memory
[B]Genesis[/B] - The Lamb Lies Down On Broadway
[B]Kamelot[/B] - Epica / The Black Halo
[B]Pain Of Salvation[/B] - Remedy Lane / BE
[B]Pink Floyd[/B] - The Wall
[B]Porcupine Tree[/B] - Deadwing
[B]Queensryche[/B] - Operation: Mindcrime / Operation: Mindcrime II
[B]Shadow Gallery[/B] - Tyranny / Room V
[B]Spock's Beard[/B] - Snow
[B]Symphony X[/B] - Paradise Lost
[B]Vision Divine[/B] - The Perfect Machine

One place I go to to listen to this amazing music (and more) is Progulus Radio.
[url]http://www.progulus.com/samPHPweb/now-playing.php[/url][/QUOTE]

Being such a prog fan, I must know: do you enjoy Opeth? They're by far my favorite progressive metal band (later-period Enslaved, Communic, Symphony X, and Evergrey are a few more prog-metal bands I enjoy [I would say Kamelot, seeing as you've listed it, but they're not prog metal, they're power metal]). I'm particularly fond of Opeth's ability to work blatant 70's prog worship into such a dark, brooding, and contemplative musical landscape. Brilliant stuff.

[FONT="Arial"]I found a band that seems to me to be pretty pretentious. The music is complex in the sense that it can be pretty fast and often uses nonstandard time signatures. The only way I know how to describe their sound is some kind of math metal with "obligatory" sections of funk and no vocals, but it's so awesome.

[U][URL="http://www.myspace.com/wtsh"]Walking Talking Steven Hawking[/URL][/U]

Of their four songs, I can't really pick a favorite. I don't remember listening to Sith Lords and Plastic Swords, but I looooove the other three. "Barnabas the Sullen Sailor Boy" is actually a story in musical form about a a sailor who is lonely at sea when he meets a girl, Griselda, who throws him a bottle. But the bottle hits the boat and it begins to sink. Somehow he saves himself and he falls in love with Griselda, but she turns out to be his archnemesis. The two fight and Barnabas emerges victorious (in a rather anticlimatic ending, however :/).[/FONT]