OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

Goddammit stop fighting over dumb **** guys. What Jake said made perfect sense...saying metal doesn't exist is the only stupid thing in this equation.

Anyhoo I was listening to Onslaught during math class. I was trying to be as loud and obnoxious as possible because just before that they blamed me for the loud metal core coming from the guy sitting in front of me. Anyway onslaught is pretty good.

[QUOTE]I can't act like I'm 3 years of age. The fact that I don't listen to Coheed and Cambria is scientific proof that I am at least as mentally developed as a 12-year-old.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="1234"]Actually, my mentallity was like that before I listened to Coheed, now it's the equivelent of a 14 year old. Not every Co&Ca fan is dumb btw, just some.

I find that if you tell a person that a metalcore band isn't metal, they will argue with you. I have told my freinds that Atreyu and BFMV isn't metal and they go "you are too genre specific." No, I just hate how they think that those bands are metal when they are not. I'm not genre specific, I hardly know about genres anyways, I just hate when epople get them wrong. I.e, metalcore.

And on a seperate note, I admit, I like Becoming the Bull by Atreyu.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="1234"]I'm not genre specific, I hardly know about genres anyways, I just hate when epople get them wrong. I.e, metalcore.
[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]That sentence might be the most nonsensical thing ever written. How can you write "I'm not genre specific, I hardy know about genres" and then follow it with "I just hate when people get them wrong"? Do you hate yourself as well?

Besides, I think you are becoming a bit genre picky. Metalcore might be a fusion of metal styles and a little hardcore punk but it is still plenty close enough to metal to be called metal. Music is becoming overly sub-genred, and artists, afraid of getting bunched together with the herd, keep coming up with sub-genres within sub-genres. Honestly,I think these genres keep popping up because a lot of musicians are insecure. Though I would probably feel the same way about anyone that felt the need to snub me because I confused a metalcore band with a metal one.[/color]

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud'][color=indigo]That sentence might be the most nonsensical thing ever written. How can you write "I'm not genre specific, I hardy know about genres" and then follow it with "I just hate when people get them wrong"? Do you hate yourself as well?

Besides, I think you are becoming a bit genre picky. Metalcore might be a fusion of metal styles and a little hardcore punk but it is still plenty close enough to metal to be called metal. Music is becoming overly sub-genred, and artists, afraid of getting bunched together with the herd, keep coming up with sub-genres within sub-genres. Honestly,I think these genres keep popping up because a lot of musicians are insecure. Though I would probably feel the same way about anyone that felt the need to snub me because I confused a metalcore band with a metal one.[/color][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I'm begging all of you, PLEASE reply through PM.

Anyway, I'm listening now to... Wolves In The Throne Room, again XD. I can't help it, this album is incredible. It's one of those 'I could listen to this every day' albums. I want to memorize the whole thing![/COLOR]

[COLOR="1234"]Actually, I don't see why the metal community can't except metalcore as part of the metal genre, but that's just me. The same as Nu-metal.

Yeah Jake will come after me, but really I don't care, so Jake take it to PMs please.

I'm listening to Impulse by The Endless Sproradic, the song is werid but very good.[/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Oioi! I just (legally?) obtained the soon-to be released Ayreon album 01011001 and it is kicking some real *** as of track one (which is like 10 minutes long, XD). It's even go the vocalist from Blind Guardian! That's, like, automatic epic! This one seems to have a lot less focus on vocals than The Human Experiment, which is logical becasue THE was an opera anyway, but luckily it keeps the heavy roots of it's predecessor - the lack of which turned me off of Ayreon's earlier works. And as usual, the concept is pretty ****ing hilariously weird, but awesome. [/COLOR]

[SIZE=1][CENTER][B]Now:[/B] Merge On The Freeway [Dissapear Here]
[B]Artist:[/B] Bloc Party
[B]Album:[/B] A Weekend In The City[/CENTER]

it's kinda weird how this song paints a picture of Los Angeles, albeit it's a very strange picture painted with the colours of excessive drug use, partying, and sex. All of which is things you'd find in a perfect version of LA, obviously everyone knows [or [B][U][I] should[/B][/U][/I]] know that the city is nothing like that, but here's the weird part:

everyone is beginning to model themselves after that distorted picture of LA, and not only do the lyrics convey that well, the instruments also help bring this picture to life with the vast use of distortion effects, and the repetion of the verse and chorus riff to symbolise people slowly adapting themselves into the picture.[/SIZE]

[quote name='Premonition'][COLOR="1234"]Actually, I don't see why the metal community can't except metalcore as part of the metal genre, but that's just me. The same as Nu-metal.

Yeah Jake will come after me, but really I don't care, so Jake take it to PMs please.

I'm listening to Impulse by The Endless Sproradic, the song is werid but very good.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

The reason I'm not PMing this is that Heaven's Cloud is obviously new and wasn't following the metal thread, so this is important information for him.

It's not that we dont [I]accept[/I] nu-metal and metalcore (all of which I'll refer to as mallcore for short), it's that it musically and culturally isn't metal (the former of which is 100% of the issue, but I just thought I'd point out the latter while I'm at it). It has nothing to do with us disowning it because we don't like it - it's because it's simply not the same type of music. There's a reason we don't refer to Green Day as an R&B group or Jack Johnson as a punk rock artist. What you're saying is literally the exact same thing as saying this:

[COLOR="red"] "I don't know why the hip-hop community can't accept death metal and country as part of the hip-hop genre".[/COLOR]

I know this has been explained a million times, but as I said, Cloud hasn't been keeping up (or at least I hope not, because if he has, then he's truly a lost cause).

Oh, and one more disheartening comment that I must attend to: Cloud, it has nothing to do with insecurity. If you truly think that just because someone knows more about music than you means they're insecure, then I'd hope you'd just stop listening to music altogether.

Oh, and I'm currently listening to "What's Left of the Flag" by Flogging Molly.

A Poor Man's Memory by Explosions in the Sky

[quote name='Heaven's Cloud']Besides, I think you are becoming a bit genre picky. Metalcore might be a fusion of metal styles and a little hardcore punk but it is still plenty close enough to metal to be called metal. Music is becoming overly sub-genred, and artists, afraid of getting bunched together with the herd, keep coming up with sub-genres within sub-genres. Honestly,I think these genres keep popping up because a lot of musicians are insecure. Though I would probably feel the same way about anyone that felt the need to snub me because I confused a metalcore band with a metal one.[/color][/QUOTE]

When you talk about genre specificity, like any other completely subjective topic, you have to see both sides. There's one side that thinks music is getting overcomplicated with genres upon subgenres upon subgenres of classification. The other believes that Iron Maiden and Swallow the Sun sound nothing alike, and it's absurd to consider them to be the same style of music.

Metalcore, whether a genre or not, is a completely different style of music than Metal. But there's a lot of loud noise and they scream a lot, so obviously they're the same genre, right?

However, classifying them thusly is like saying Led Zeppelin falls under the same grouping as Slipknot. What? They play really loud music, and both of them have guitars, right?

Well, then let's step outside the actual music, and say that a band is defined by their influences. Metalcore is influenced by metal and hardcore punk, but it's subscribing more to the metal influences than the hardcore ones (this, by the way, is a fallacy), so, obviously it should just be metal, plain and simple.

Once again, if we were to classify music by the influence, we'd have no need for genres. If you go back far enough, everything was the same genre, and that genre influenced the musicians of later years. The conclusion that a band's genre can be defined by its influences is absurd.

I'm going to stop myself here and redirect you to the now-closed metal thread, where you'll find a wealth of explanation far beyond my ability about why metal and metal imitation are different. To the metalhead, it's like the difference between sugar and artificial sweetener. To the metal savant, it's like sugar and salt.

[quote name='Premonition']Actually, I don't see why the metal community can't except metalcore as part of the metal genre, but that's just me. The same as Nu-metal.[/quote]

It's the same reason we still differentiate between Jazz and the Blues. Would you consider the works of BB King to be the same genre as Miles Davis? There's a wealth of difference between the sweet, solemn tone of an Opeth song, and the rackety noise of a DevilDriver song.

The reason, ultimately, is that the styles of music are different. The direction of the music is different. Notice how I don't say "bad". I say "different".

On another note, why is it so bad they're considered to be rock or punk? Is there something about a band not being "metal" that makes them [i]bad[/i]? See, I like a lot of music outside of metal. I'm very firmly entrenched in independent rock, jazz, and the blues, and I find those genres to be exquisite, each with its own feel and taste. Metal is a great genre - it's expansive, and covers a wide array of styles and sounds that makes it almost as ambiguous, now, as Rock - but there's something powerful in the way Explosions in the Sky creates a guitar epic, how Leslie Feist croons a love song, and how Ray Charles rasps out the anguish of the blues. There's something that metal, with all its thunder and fury, cannot express that other genres may.

Now, whether your fare be prepubescent lyrics about savagery and rebellion (in the case of nu-metal), or recycled At The Gates riffs under the croak of an adolescent lyric about frustration or girl problems (in the case of metalcore), it doesn't matter what genre they fall under.

I repeat.

[B][SIZE="4"]IT DOESN'T MATTER WHAT GENRE IT FALLS UNDER.[/SIZE][/B]

If you're really afraid of what your friends will say about "Your music not being metal enough", then you're not really convicted of your interest in the music. Hell, Jake's been battling me on band after band after band for years and years and years, but I like what I listen to enough that I never stop.

In short, your music isn't metal. [i]SO[/i]?

[quote name='premonition']Actually, my mentallity was like that before I listened to Coheed, now it's the equivelent of a 14 year old. Not every Co&Ca fan is dumb btw, just some.[/quote]

You're wrong. Coheed and Cambria is for gender-confused hot-topicites who continue to infuriate me, even in my college years. It's remarkable how smart someone can become while still acting like a prepubescent little tween.

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]It might be easier to accept the guidelines of ye metalitons if you weren't constantly backstabbing your credibility with snide remarks about the bands we like, yaknow? I mean, it's one thing to teach someone to like more music, it's another to tell them they lack intelligence for what they already listen to.

I like Coheed and Cambria more than most metal bands. You're not going to convince me not to like them by telling me they are bad when in my mind they are good, because you're just contradicting what I regard as fact, hence conflict. I've learned a lot from Jake by listening to his praise for bands, but nothing from his insults.

Honestly, people, there's no reason to get all fired up and insulting over this. You can't take the fac tthat someone likes Coheed and Opeth as an insult or stupidity on their part - it's just a difference in tase. All the insults are just perpetuating this conflict.

Prem, honestly, you need to not be so emotional about it, too. Jake is a troll in a lot of ways, and letting him get to you is just feeding the troll and makes you look like an idiot, hence the insults and the idea that you never learn. Not that the others are helping much, but try to just ignore their comments and you'll be off much better.

I admit, I get emotional myself, especially when being accused of something I had no way of avoiding, however feeding the troll just got both of us in trouble. So for god's sake, someone has to be the better man, so stop bitching back and forth. Personally, I won't even reply to the comments about Coheed - those are 0beron's opinions which I'm not oing to change - I'll just keep my own opinion - no need to argue.

- also, i'm listening to the last song on the Ayreon album - most of the album was good, some wasn't as great. It's more along the lines of their old style, with remnants of the Human Equation laying about. [/COLOR]

[COLOR="Indigo"]This warning apples to the following members:

Jakehammaren
Premonition
Panache
0ber0n the Neko
2008DigitalBoy

I expect all of you to stop this pointless nitpicking. Start growing up and respecting that people have different tastes in music. This kind of nonsense got one thread closed and this time around I'll start considering a temp ban instead of allowing it to derail yet another thread. Stop berating other's choices and the rest of you stop defending those choices and use the report post button or pm one of the moderators with your concerns. This has gone on long enough between all of you and I expect you all to quit looking for reasons to insult one another.[/COLOR]

Uh yeah...hi...I'm just here to post my listening stuff....hope that's ok:animeswea

Right now I'm listening to my buddy's band [B]Sound Theory[/B]. He and I talk about music all the time and we often find ourselves air guitaring and playing faux drums while we're at work...he suggested I checked out his band on MySpace...so I did and I liked their style of music...so if you guys wanna check em out....

[URL="http://myspace.com/soundtheoryband915"]http://myspace.com/soundtheoryband915[/URL]

So I am a sellout. I was listening to [B]Paramore[/B] this morning. emergency and Misery business were my poisons of choice. The lead signer just has an uber voice. reminds me of flyleafs lead singer. I kinda did have an ulterior motive though...this hawt chick in my math class likes them. I wanted a common interest there. But that's besides the point.

Anyway to make up for it with myself I listened to [B]Porcupine Tree's [/B]Hatesong. Man Porcupine Tree is such a flexible unique band. They can play a crude heavy song one moment then a slow beautiful one the next.

[COLOR="RoyalBlue"][FONT="Lucida Sans Unicode"]Right now I'm listening to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hkbdP7sq0w8"][U]Dust In The Wind[/U][/URL] by Kansas. Though I'm listening to an instrumental recording made just for me as a gift, so it's just the guitar and nothing else. I love it though, I've always loved this song. :catgirl:[/FONT][/COLOR]

[quote name='Felix Freeman'][SIZE=1][CENTER][B]Now:[/B] Merge On The Freeway [Dissapear Here]
[B]Artist:[/B] Bloc Party
[B]Album:[/B] A Weekend In The City[/CENTER]

it's kinda weird how this song paints a picture of Los Angeles, albeit it's a very strange picture painted with the colours of excessive drug use, partying, and sex. All of which is things you'd find in a perfect version of LA, obviously everyone knows [or [B][U][I] should[/B][/U][/I]] know that the city is nothing like that, but here's the weird part:

everyone is beginning to model themselves after that distorted picture of LA, and not only do the lyrics convey that well, the instruments also help bring this picture to life with the vast use of distortion effects, and the repetion of the verse and chorus riff to symbolise people slowly adapting themselves into the picture.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]

[color=indigo]At first I was kind of disappointed with [b]A Weekend in the City[/b]. [b]Silent Alarm[/b], Bloc Party?s previous album, was just so good that I guess my expectations were unreasonable. After having this in rotation for a few weeks I really grew found of the album. Many of the songs are wonderfully somber, and even the more upbeat tunes have a sort of melancholy appeal.

I do agree that ?Merge on the Freeway? does paint an interesting picture of LA, but I think it is an astutely accurate one.

Anyway, this week I have been listening to [b]Song to Fly[/b] by Yoko Kanno. Like many I became fascinated with Kanno?s work (along with the Seatbelts) after watching Cowboy Bebop. Her stuff is such and odd mixture of musical styles that it her album is really a hodgepodge of choral, pop, and jazz tunes. If you have an eclectic taste in music than I would definitely recommend this album.
[/color]

[FONT=Arial]Currently hitting Lunar's second album, Wall of Sound, pretty hard. Good electronica group, speaking from my utter wealth of experience. :p

As a bonus track, they added in nice remix of a previous chart, The Unknown. I like it even more than the original, probably because it reminds me of the erratic nature of Floodlights, also from the initial Hybrid Awaken album.

For those curious about it, google "Wall of Sound", go to the official site, and there you go. Google had no links to it for about three weeks, which I found curious, but it's there now.

[B]Edit:[/B] I will be looking to get several of Porcupine Tree's albums sometime soon, expenses permitting.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]Listening to Euphoric Field, the openiing theme to ef ~a tale of memories~ which is my favorite anime of all time as it stands. Heard the full version the first time, reading the lyrics, then listened to the Japanese version used in the last episode, then went back to lisen to the full again without reading it.

For those who aren't aware, the lyrcs in my signature come from this song, and I pplan for them to remain there for as long as ef remains my alltime favorite show, which is bound to be a bit of time until Shinbo creates something even better, lol. The song is simply amazing, beautiful, and inspirational. Even if the singer's English is HORRIBLE, it still sounds great XD. I plan to record my own version with vocals done by local English speaker yours truly XD[/COLOR]

[quote name='0ber0n the Neko']They sound as if Adam Duritz developed acute autism, joined TV on the Radio, and then convinced the band to play every single generic radio hit single by every pop-punk band in existence simultaneously.[/QUOTE]

Well, I'm not here to defend my band... Just to question why you think they sound generic?

[B]generic[/B]

adjective
1. relating to or common to or descriptive of all members of a genus; "the generic name"

With their unique style, I would hardly call them generic... But, it's all opinion. I tend to favor experimental styles, so mewithoutYou fits me. Really if you can get passed his talking all the lyrics, it's really easy to enjoy the rest of it.

Anyway, on to the question:

"Jesus Christ" by Brand New. It's not as good as some of their old stuff. (In fact, it's a lot slower than what I'm used to) But again, the lyrics are amazing. So much so that I decided to post one of them:

"Jesus Christ, I'm alone again. So what did you do those three days you were dead, 'cause this problem's gonna last more than the weekend..." :p

I'm listening to my psych 1010 teacher talk about research methods.

[quote name='Darren']Well, I'm not here to defend my band... Just to question why you think they sound generic?

[B]generic[/B]

adjective
1. relating to or common to or descriptive of all members of a genus; "the generic name"

With their unique style, I would hardly call them generic... But, it's all opinion. I tend to favor experimental styles, so mewithoutYou fits me. Really if you can get passed his talking all the lyrics, it's really easy to enjoy the rest of it.[/quote]

Unfortunately, "mewithoutyou"'s musical style is nothing really new. The indie rock scene has been mass-producing bands like them for the last year. The genus is "mediocre indie rock", and it has "recycled At the Drive-In riffs, Modest Mouse/Franz Ferdinand song structure, and trying REALLY REALLY HARD TO BE UNIQUE" in common with said genus.

[SIZE=1][CENTER][B]Now:[/B] Meet Your Master
[B]Artist:[/B] The Faint
[B]Album:[/B] Y34RZ3R0R3M1X3D[/CENTER]

It was a little hard to ingest the first couple of listens, the first thing I said to myself was: "This is [B][U][I] NOTHING[/B][/U][/I] like Glass Danse, I Disappear or Agenda Suicide", and I got this sick to my stomach feeling, wondering what happened to one of my favourite dance-punk bands, it felt like Reznor did this himself and threw their name on the bill. [They were also one of the three acts I recogised from the tracklisting] A few revolutions later, I find myself moshing to it, and it's beginning to feel less like a remix and more of an original song, featuring Reznor on vocals.

by the way; is that how they spell year zero [B][I][U] in[/B][/I][/U] Year Zero?[/SIZE]

[quote name='Panache']A[B]These Arms Are Snakes[/B] medley. I like these guys a lot. I can't really put my finger on what genre they are.[/QUOTE]

[font=arial][size=1]Those guys are pretty cool. They got really old after a while though. The music is really bland for their genre (which is basically post-hardcore, I wouldn't go too much deeper with that) and the vocalist just kind of rhythmically shouts.

You might like Transistor Transistor. It's the same thing but heavier and better.

Also, a band I'm friends with put up some new recordings of old songs and they sound really good. They sound a little like a mix of Chiodos and Between the Buried and Me. If you're into the stuff, you should check them out: [url=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=50431493][color=gray]Fastest Kid in 5th Grade[/color][/url][/size][/font]

[quote name='Goodbye, Face'][font=arial][size=1]Those guys are pretty cool. They got really old after a while though. The music is really bland for their genre (which is basically post-hardcore, I wouldn't go too much deeper with that) and the vocalist just kind of rhythmically shouts.

You might like Transistor Transistor. It's the same thing but heavier and better.

Also, a band I'm friends with put up some new recordings of old songs and they sound really good. They sound a little like a mix of Chiodos and Between the Buried and Me. If you're into the stuff, you should check them out: [url=http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=50431493][color=gray]Fastest Kid in 5th Grade[/color][/url][/size][/font][/QUOTE]

OH ****! Fastest Kid in 5th Grade is bad ***. I don't know much about hardcore or punk or anything that much and I usually have to wade through a bunch of stinkers to find a winner....but when I find a winner I REALLY like them.

Oh and I will mess with Transistor Transistor a tad thanks for the rec.

Oh yea I am listening to [B]Fastest Kid in 5th grade[/B].

[COLOR="DarkOrange"]I might sheck them out since I'm a little bit of a closet post-hardcore fan. Currently listening to Lost My Music, which is the second song from the concert scene in The Melancholy of Haruhi Suzumiya that is always overlooked. It's a great song, but God Knows is just [i]so incredibly amazing[/i] that it overshadows anything else, XD.[/COLOR]