OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[size=1][b]The Zutons[/b] - both albums: [b]Tired of Hanging Around[/b] and [b]Who Killed... The Zutons?"[/b]

Well, I think they're one of the coolest bands on the block. No idea why I don't listen to them more often, but they are great. The songs are inventive and have splendid harmonies in them and listening the albums makes one feel good.

W00t, for Zutons![/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Well... On the subject of mathcore, it's basically just a genre like metalcore, deathcore or hardcore with odd time signatures, calculated, technical riffs and drum beats, with some jazz influence... At least, that's what I know it to be... I'm listening to several math bands right now... As the Sun Sets, which I highly recommend.... The Number Twelve Looks Like You (which I'm always listening to, considering they are my favorite), The Dillinger Escape Plan (Mostly Calculating Infinity, but I listen to some of their other stuff sometimes as well...) Converge and Botch of course, ... Some Girls has got to be one of my favorites besides The Number 12 too... They're effing... crazy. I love it.

and while this band is really a sure-thing practitioner of mathcore, they're very similiar, with their time sig changes, and strange appeal...

HORSE the Band. Nintendocore, to the max.... Love it. R. Borlax is my favorite album, and in fact, I was listening to it most of today, before switching to Enter Shikari, a similiar Post-hardcore act with great time signatures and synth riffs.

edit: Well, I noticed Panache talking about Dog Fashion Disco alot... So I decided to give them a try.... They're really good. I figured they'd be a metalcore band at first, but what I got was a great avant-garde band, which I like... So I now know where Panache's Custom title is from, and I'd like to congrat him, on having cool musical interests. Bam Blam Thank You Ma'ame.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="1234"]I (finally) bought Saturate by Breaking Benjamin earlier this week. I am [B][I][U]HAPPY[/U][/I][/B]! Polyamorous, Home, Wish I May and Sugarcoat prove to be worth the whole year I've waited to find the album. Other songs, like Shallow Bay and Medicate took a while for me to get used to. But all in all, the album is pretty good.

In other musical news, I'm taking a likiing to Chevelle. Most recent obsession is, I Get it. I LOVE this song, and hopefully I can find Vena Sera soon so I can buy it. The lyrics are just great for the song, and I"m convinced that Chevelle is pretty good. On my ProjectPlaylist I have some other songs by them too, like Tug-O-War for instance.

I've also got Fair to Midland's Orphen Anthem 86' on my ProjectPlaylist, and I'm hoping my gf will be able to get it. I've also got a few songs from Shabutie on there, my favorite being Kinderwhore. Plus, I've got some songs by the band 3, which has some kind of conection with Co&Ca. Hopefully I can find their last album Wake Pig or The End has Begun. The song The End has Begun, These Iron Bones and Alien Angel are good songs by these guys.

I've also taught myself how to play the intro to In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth: 3 by Coheed and Camrbia, on my bass guitar. So lately, I've been wrapped up in music and I've been having luck with finding some good bands. Soon I should have some good metalcore on my ProjectPLaylist too, I've decided to put some Between the Buried and Me and As I lay Dying when I get the chance.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]edit: Well, I noticed Panache talking about Dog Fashion Disco alot... So I decided to give them a try.... They're really good. I figured they'd be a metalcore band at first, but what I got was a great avant-garde band, which I like... So I now know where Panache's Custom title is from, and I'd like to congrat him, on having cool musical interests. Bam Blam Thank You Ma'ame.[/QUOTE]SOMEONE FINALLY LISTENED TO ME!!! HOLY ****!!!

This requires a small personal celebration for me.

So as of now I am listening to [B]Pink Riots [/B]by [B]Dog Fashion Disco [/B]

This song I just downloaded from itunes recently. I must say it is a very sexy song. His voice make it seem apocalyptic yet in the background there is a sort of carnival like sound which makes for a very odd experience.

[COLOR="1234"]I bought Avenged Sevenfold's new self-titled album. It's alright, but nothing spectacular. I went to Wal-Mart and the one where I live is closing down to make way for the Super Wal-Mart, so the prices were lower. So I decided to buy it, and it's nothing superb, but it's not crap.[/COLOR]

[quote name='Panache']SOMEONE FINALLY LISTENED TO ME!!! HOLY ****!!!

This requires a small personal celebration for me.

So as of now I am listening to [B]Pink Riots [/B]by [B]Dog Fashion Disco [/B]

This song I just downloaded from itunes recently. I must say it is a very sexy song. His voice make it seem apocalyptic yet in the background there is a sort of carnival like sound which makes for a very odd experience.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]I think that's why I like them alot as well... They have a very odd sound, while not going too crazy with their stuff. They've got a nice original sound... Like if Art rock and Metal formed together to make a peanut butter and jelly sandwich, lol.

Good job, Prem. At least you admit to liking some metalcore bands.. May I suggest something a little out of the box though... Listen to Norma Jean, Underoath, and Heavy Heavy Low Low. These three bands provide us with some metalcore, that has good assets, and slightly original sounds... Between The Buried and Me would be on the list too, but I see you've already listened to them. Hoorah!

Today. I listened to... Uh... The Number Twelve Looks Like You actually... I seem to listen to them alot. Now, I'm listening to the Agonist. It's either a melodic death metal band, a deathcore band, or a cool metalcore band... Doesn't matter.. They don't sound like many deathcore bands I've heard, and I know deathcore..

Speaking of deathcore. I just now switched over to listening to these fine bands that I suggest anybody that wants a cross between real metal and metalcore, should find it here.

Bring Me The Horizon
From A Second Story Window
Embrace the End
Arsonists Get All The Girls
Arma Angelus

The Number 12 Looks Like You is also rooted in deathcore, as From A Second Story Window, in mathcore.
[/COLOR]
[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]This just in, the agonist is indeed a deathcore band. :] It's pretty good except that I don't like the chorus verse system. But the dual vocals are awesome... Considering the lead singer is a chick and can scream so furious... like... a dude. She's awesome.

Anyway, I've never heard Jack that Knife. Right now my music players aren't working.. They kind of mood swings, well Myspace does anyway.

Prem, I actually dont listen to much grindcore anyway, because I can't stand just grind by itself, without some form of other genre to switch over to. Wecamewithbrokenteeth would be the only one I listen to, other than bands close to grind... like the Number 12, which usually gets written off as a grind band or noisecore band.

The word noisecore band just sparked me to listen to the Chariot. The Chariot is a chaotic noisecore band like that of Norma Jean, but faster... and well. With more noise and ringing guitar sounds, and just banging the crap out of the drums.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="hotPink"]Nice ad, Panache. >_<

I like Radiohead as well, they have a pretty experimental sound to them as well... Avant garde, indeed. I like some of their more mellow songs.. like Creep. At one time Creep was my favorite song... It's so catchy.

Now I'm listening to THE COPS KILLED KENNY. [url]www.myspace.com/thecopskilledkenny[/url]

I highly suggest anyone who sees this post goes to that page and listens to make music. :]]][/COLOR][/SIZE]

[font=arial][size=1]Now then. I have been listening to The Blood Brothers' older stuff, mainly March On, Electric Children. It's the turning point of their musical career, where they had the style of their new music forming, but it also had the rawness of their older records. Ever record since this one has seen them wimping out more and more (but they picked a lot of it back up in their last album, Young Machetes).[/font][/size]

[COLOR="1234"]I've been listening to A Little Pice of Heaven by Avenged Sevenfold, and I must say it is EPIC for them. The song doesn't have guitar in it, and besides the drums and vocals, it's unlike Avenged Sevenfold. Honestly, most of the music is played by other instramentslike the piano, trumpet, etc. And it makes a great song. It's a tale about a man, who kills his lover, has sex with her dead body, than gets killed by her ghost. Than to top it all off, they marry and go on a killing spree.

It's a really good song, and it actually makes the album worth while. BUt don't expect some Hard Rock tune, it's like a broadway show in 8 minutes. But I'll say, it's an amazing song for Avenged Sevenfold. Not my favorite song by them, but it's unique for them and it's up there.[/COLOR]

[QUOTE]I wish Jake was back.[/QUOTE]

Err I think that post would make Jake very very angry...I'm pretty sure he dislikes greatly all genres that end in core. Many a feelings would be hurt...

[B]40 Below Summer-Rejection[/B]

Man I like this. I like the bass especially. Really smooth and sexy.

Oh and face I am stealing that picture.

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Now, what am I listening to?

Die Kreuzen- a nice hardCORE band.

Bring me the Horizon- a nice deathCORE band.

As the Sun sets- a nice mathCORE band.

Alesana- a nice post-hardCORE band

The chariot- a nice noiseCORE band

norma jean- a nice metalCORE band.

[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[COLOR="1234"]Anyways, right now I'm just listening to whatever I find, lol. But I'm still listening to that new Avenged Sevenfold album, which after listening to it a few times, it's not that bad anymore. Still hate Dear God though and I want to take M. Shadows' head and smash it agianst the floor. Did you know, early Avenged Sevenfold was a mix of Punk and MetalCORE?[/COLOR]

*Sigh* Not this ******** again...

Anyway before I went to sleep last night I listened to more Dog Fashion Disco. This time Pink Riots and Pour Some Urine on Me. These are probably my favorite songs from them at the moment. I also listened to Worm in A Dogs Heart which was the first song from them and it is incredibly awesome.

Mann if you haven't heard all of these you should listen to them.

[quote name='Panache']...Pour Some Urine on Me.[/quote]

[COLOR="1234"]O_o?

Anyways, last night I downloaded a small bit of 3's [B]All That Remains[/B]. And now after listening to the first! minute and 22 seconds of the song, I want to buy the album, The End is Begun, SO BADLY! I just can't get over how great this band is, in fact they're pretty unique. They also have the album Wake Pig, that I'd like to get as well.

FYE is pissing me off BTW, They sold Agalloch albums, and htey have the nerve to not take out the tab that says 'Agalloch' on top. There hasn't been an Agalloch album under that tab in over 3 MONTHS, and yet they continue to let the tab stand there and tease me... bastards >_>[/COLOR]

@Goodbye Face
Bravo!

@Prem
If you liked the original "Pour some Sugar on me" don't listen to this.

I've been listening to Ion Dissonance. As of now I am listening to kneel from them. Surprisingly I like these vocals. Usually a band with vocals like this would immediately turn me off to them. I also like the guitars rather spastic sound. It sounds really random at first but then it comes together to a good melody.

[FONT="Arial"]Genres are so lame, you guys. I don't see how it's possible to classify every band you listen to perfectly, because I seriously doubt each band will fit all the genre criteria exactly how it should (according to whom, anyway?). Really, it just seems like such a waste of time to try to put your music into a bunch of different categories, and then get into little tiffs when someone disagrees with what you think.

It's not important, in the long run. Music should be enjoyed as it is, without the bells and whistles of post-whatever-core and the like.

[/soapbox]

I've been listening to Godspeed You! Black Emperor; "Blaise Bailey Finnegan III" for the past fifteen minutes or so, and I like it, for the most part. Fifteen minutes, to me, is a little long for a song to last, especially when there aren't any vocals (other than a sampled monologue that plays intermittently throughout), but I've been sitting through it this whole time.

I love how the instruments play quietly for a long time, then slowly build the tension during a more vehement part of the monologue, and manage to squeeze my heart as they climax. Beautiful. <3

I need to be in a certain mood to listen to lengthy songs with awesome soundscapes like this, but I'm trying to expand my musical interests a bit so I'm giving everything a chance.

Now I've got Dredg; "Lechium" playing. I like it so far, it reminds me a little of A Perfect Circle. [/FONT]

[QUOTE]Genres are so lame, you guys. I don't see how it's possible to classify every band you listen to perfectly, because I seriously doubt each band will fit all the genre criteria exactly how it should (according to whom, anyway?). Really, it just seems like such a waste of time to try to put your music into a bunch of different categories, and then get into little tiffs when someone disagrees with what you think.

It's not important, in the long run. Music should be enjoyed as it is, without the bells and whistles of post-whatever-core and the like.[/QUOTE] I said something to that effect before and I am pretty sure I got laughed at. Or yelled at. Forgot which.

Anyway I was getting sick of hard music so I decided to listen to Porcupine Tree Dark Matter to be precise. Very awesome and very calming.

[COLOR="DarkRed"][SIZE="1"][B]A Silver Mt. Zion/ Tra-La-La Band[/B]- God Bless Our Dead Marines.

Empowering song, despite the minimalist arrangement/ production. It consists of drums, cello, violin, piano, vocals, all being played seemingly carelessley. The vocalist, Efrim Meinuck, is not the best singer, but the words he sings wouldn't make as much imparct if they weren't sung that way. The music evolves into a fiery, sort of Celtic jig-style rhythm, then falls back into the beginning melody. After a section of the vocalist "losing" things, it turns into a singalong round of "When the world is sick/ Can someone be well?/ But I dreamt we was beautiful and strong." A stark, hopeless contrast to the charged beginning. Makes you want to cry.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

Right now, it's my soundtrack from DNAngel, and it's currently on the full opening song: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBC65-1GjAU"][U]DNAngel Opening Song[/U][/URL] One of the only anime shows that I got the cd's for. I definitely enjoy listening to it, it's got a lot of nice stuff on it.

EDIT: And before I forget, it's also one of the few that I actually like the voice of the person singing. Usually, they tend to have a tiny bit of a shrillness to it that I don't care for. XP