OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[QUOTE='[Sound_Nin];808157'][COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]Right now it's on White Knuckles by Five Finger Death Punch.
When I first heard the band name I was thinking it was well... a lame band.
But now they're one of my favourites. Whenever I hear a guitarist with actual talent, I smile. It's not easy to find these days.

Don't get me wrong, I like catchy riffs as much as the next guy. But there's just something about music you can listen to in complete awe.

I'm also listening to Bright Eyes. Completely different genre, but that's how I am.

So anyway, I completely recommend the aforementioned song.
[/FONT][/COLOR][/QUOTE]

What type of music is that? I might check it out.

[SIZE=1]I just did the craziest thing I could think of. I opened up Windows Media Player and highlighted every album I've put on my computer (or that I've organized into the proper album as I got it song by song) and told it to play on shuffle. So while Billy Joel is playing right now, it may be Black Sabbath, Creed, Toby Keith, or George Strait next. ((Or Flogging Molly for that matter.))

I listen to almost anything.

EDIT: Actually, Kidnap the Sandy Claws ended up the next song. For those who don't recognize it, it's off the Nightmare Before Christmas soundtrack.
[/SIZE]

[quote name='Panache']What type of music is that? I might check it out.[/quote]

[COLOR=Navy][FONT=Book Antiqua]It sounds pretty thrash-y to me, or hardcore.
But I'm not very good with genres.
I'd say Thrash, though.
Whatever it is, it sounds good.
[/FONT][/COLOR]

Well, right now I'm listening to Savin' Me by Nickleback(YAYS!). It's my favorite song right now. Then I've also become attatched to the song Must Get Out by Maroon 5.
Also, as annoying as it is to me, I've got 1234 by Feist stuck in my head. Now I'm listening to it...GRAAH!

[FONT="Tahoma"]I put the Nightwish album Once on my computer and added it to my random play list so right now I'm listening to [B]The Siren[/B]... This one is fun with the guitar solos and the rather haunting sound the main singer conveys. Creepy in a delightful way that almost sends shivers down one's spine. :catgirl:[/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Yeah, I officially apologize for all the Nightwish spam in this thread. Good group, though.

So I went album-hunting and came up with Keiko Matsu: The Ring. Pretty good smooth-jazz keyboardist, and her arrangements are pleasurable to listen to.[/FONT]

[FONT="Tahoma"][quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Yeah, I officially apologize for all the Nightwish spam in this thread. Good group, though.[/FONT][/QUOTE]*pokes you* Tis good stuff!

But since I've got it going on random... I'm now listening to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=RTHvfYKyyeM&feature=related"][U]Spanish Romance - Anonymous[/U][/URL] :p Though it's not this clip at You Tube. It's a copy that I shamelessly begged for from Crystia. It's a copy of Darren playing his own arrangement of the song. Very pretty. ^_^[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"]Yeesh, and here I wondered why Crys was showing off her Nightwish obsession to everyone.

Anyway, at the moment I'm alternating back and forth between [b]Disturbed[/b] and [b]Nickelback[/b]. I'm not hugely into metal, but Disturbed just have something about them musically which I enjoy. I've always enjoyed Nickelback's stuff, it's just taken me ages to actually go out and get their albums as opposed to listening on Youtube.[/SIZE]

[COLOR="Indigo"][quote name='Gavin'][SIZE="1"]Yeesh, and here I wondered why Crys was showing off her Nightwish obsession to everyone.[/SIZE][/QUOTE]Blame Allamorph, he got me started on it. :p

Anyway, right now I'm on this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2HLC3_UxI&feature=related"][U]Haddaway - What Is Love From Movie Night In Roxbury Nick[/U][/URL] It's much more fun in the context of that movie though. That show is so painfully stupid you can't help but laugh at it. Heh. This clip with Jim Carrey [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgM9_QJ6cZc&feature=related"][U]A night at Roxbury[/U][/URL] is the funniest though. [/COLOR]

So I just purchased three new Cd's.

[B]Boy Hits Car-The Passage[/B]
I haven't heard all of this as of yet. but I have heard other songs from them in the past. They have a very eastern sound to them. Their bassist is really talented and their vocals fit well with the songs. I also enjoy the lyrics a lot. The guitar is sort of bland at times but overall they are a really great band and so far this album is very good.

[B]Seether-Finding Beauty in Negative Spaces[/B]
This isn't as hard as it used to be. Even though that's the case I still really enjoy it. It seems more grungy and h4artfelt. Also the lyrics are really good.

[B]Cat Power-Jukebox[/B]
This is a really great album. This singer has an amazingly soulful voice. Also her band brings a sort of radiohead feel to everything. the whole feel of it is sorta jazzy and folksy. This is probably one of the best bands with a female lead I have heard in a long while.

Overall I am happy with my purchases.

[quote name='indifference'][COLOR="Indigo"]Blame Allamorph, he got me started on it. :p

Anyway, right now I'm on this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IK2HLC3_UxI&feature=related"][U]Haddaway - What Is Love From Movie Night In Roxbury Nick[/U][/URL] It's much more fun in the context of that movie though. That show is so painfully stupid you can't help but laugh at it. Heh. This clip with Jim Carrey [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZgM9_QJ6cZc&feature=related"][U]A night at Roxbury[/U][/URL] is the funniest though. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"]Heh sure Crys, I don't recall Allamorph being the one going on about them in our AIM conversations. ^_~

Heh, nice job with Haddaway by the way, the second one has definitely given me some laughs in the past. I was actually thinking of posting it in the Lounge's Funtime thread.[/SIZE]

[FONT="Arial"]Now I'm listening to Nightwish; "The Siren," and loving Tarja's voice even more than I ever did. If that's possible.

I don't think it's all the talk in here about them that's brought me back, really. This was just perfect timing.[/FONT]

So all this talk of Nightwish made me wanna hear them. Overall they are pretty disappointing for me. Their sort of classical metal mix seems really boring to me. very dull. I also really don't like this singer. She is just very bland. Her voice reminds me of like...an old school opera singer or something.

*starts listening to seether some more*

[quote name='Panache']So all this talk of Nightwish made me wanna hear them. Overall they are pretty disappointing for me. Their sort of classical metal mix seems really boring to me. very dull. I also really don't like this singer. She is just very bland. Her voice reminds me of like...an old school opera singer or something.

*starts listening to seether some more*[/QUOTE]

[FONT="Arial"]SHAMEFUL! What song did you listen to that seems boring?[/FONT]

[quote name='Clurr'][FONT="Arial"]SHAMEFUL! What song did you listen to that seems boring?[/FONT][/QUOTE]
Planet Hell and Nemo. It usually takes me to be in a specific mood to listen to things like this but I don't imagine I would enjoy it even then. It just seemed really bland overall.

At least I gave it a chance right?

I finally got around to listening to Five Finger Death Punch. their vocalist is really hit or miss. Sometimes his vocals are really good. The other times he sounds like an angry Grover from sesame street.
But their guitarist is really realyl skilled. I love him. Good rec Sound Nin!

[QUOTE=Panache]Planet Hell and Nemo.

At least I gave it a chance right?[/QUOTE]
[FONT=Arial]Meh, I suppose.

Given the two you picked, I'm not really surprised. Nemo isn't exactly the most exciting track they have, and Planet Hell is best heard whilst imagining a massive homage to every Gundam space battle ever fought. You really need to hear Dark Chest of Wonders, I Wish I Had an Angel, Ghost Love Score, and . . . [COLOR="DarkRed"]Clurr[/COLOR], help me with the good ones from Century Child and Over The Hills? :animeswea

And even then, look into some tracks from Dark Passion Play. Anette Olzen's voice is much more contemporary and exciting, though Tarja has her good moments.

And again, I'm not surprised you don't care for Tarja; she [I]is[/I] an operatic soprano, after all. Probably not what you're used to looking for.[/FONT]

Meh I may look into it more. But it wasn't just the vocals that put me off. I think Swallow the Sun does what these guys are trying to do much better. But then that is just one mans opinion. They're pretty successful right?

And I am really digging this Cat Power song Don't Explain. She has a really strong yet sad voice. It's empowering yet sorrowful. I really like this group a lot.

[FONT=Arial]Checked out Five Finger Death Punch just for the devil of it.

[I]*shrug*[/I]

Musically they're unimpressive. I mean, I could be biased, but I'm just a little bone-weary of hearing that poor worn-out i-VI-VII progression that every band and their mother seems to milk for all its worth. (I mean, I like the sound of a bunch of bands that use it, but when it's the basis for [I]every stinkin' song[/I] . . . I mean, you know?) The lead vocal is a decent screamer ([I]decent[/I], I say, but no more), and his tonal singing has a nice quiet strength to it, and the guitarist is okay. Not bad by any means; he knows his arpeggios and scales and what, but I've heard better.

And though I may have daggers thrown at me, I'll go back to Pete Cetera for that one.[/FONT]

[SIZE="1"][FONT="Century Gothic"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]I almost baught The Bedlam in Goliath, but my obsesion with Chevelle forced me to buy This Type of Thinking (Could do us in). So far, I've only listened to track 3, Vitamin R (Leading us Along) and it is a good example of the difference between Chevelle and Tool. Pete Loeffler of Chevelle can go from a soft voice, to an aggresive and brutal voice, which is something Maynard James Keenan is good at.

Plus the vocals sound like Maynard went back in time when he a teenager. They sound a lot a like. But yeah, can't wait to get this CD on my MP3![/COLOR][/FONT][/SIZE]

[FONT="Arial"]I guess I could understand the thing about Nemo, as it was their first single (that actually got played on MTV), but Planet Hell? I was totally rocking out to that song earlier, haha.

Yeah. Last I heard they were Finland's most popular band or something. Or at least that's how it seemed. I haven't done the research or anything.[/font]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Given the two you picked, I'm not really surprised. Nemo isn't exactly the most exciting track they have, and Planet Hell is best heard whilst imagining a massive homage to every Gundam space battle ever fought. You really need to hear Dark Chest of Wonders, I Wish I Had an Angel, Ghost Love Score, and . . . [COLOR="DarkRed"]Clurr[/COLOR], help me with the good ones from Century Child and Over The Hills? :animeswea[/font][/quote]

[font=arial]ESPECIALLY Ghost Love Score. I know someone who doesn't like this type of music at all, and thinks he wouldn't like Nightwish anyway, but really really loves Ghost Love Score. It's so insanely epic.

Allamorph; that's really hard. Century Child is my favorite Nightwish album everrrr. I know you've already heard Phantom of the Opera and End of All Hope....definitely check out "Bless the Child"--it's somewhat similar to Ghost Love Score, as is "Beauty of the Beast." Dead to the World has some bitchin' synth lines. "Slaying the Dreamer" is the only song that ever honestly compelled me to headbang like it was going out of style, but I don't know how you feel about that.

As for Over the Hills, I'd primarily suggest the title track (which is a cover), "Astral Romance" (a remake), and the live performances of "Beauty and the Beast." Oh, their live cover of "Walking in the Air" is quite good as well.[/FONT]

[quote name='Panache']So all this talk of Nightwish made me wanna hear them. Overall they are pretty disappointing for me. Their sort of classical metal mix seems really boring to me. very dull. I also really don't like this singer. She is just very bland. Her voice reminds me of like...an old school opera singer or something.

*starts listening to seether some more*[/QUOTE]I find that kind of ironic really, since that classical influence is what I love about it. It's the other kind that I can't stand. XP And as others already said, the singer[I] is [/I]an operatic soprano. Another thing I think really suits the more symphonic sound the band has. But hey, I can understand, after all, I don't like most of the other stuff.

Anyway, right now I'm listening to [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4JG8KkWhsiY&feature=related"][U]Bach Double (Concerto for Two Violins in D minor)[/U][/URL] So beautiful. I mean, even though I do like Nightwish... I can only listen to that kind of stuff for so long before I have to switch back to something like this. XP

[FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Ugh classical music besides [B]Beethoven[/B] makes me cringe... bleck! XP

I can't stop listening to [U]Vitamin R (Leading us Along)[/U] by [B]Chevelle[/B]. the song is just so hautning I can't escape it. The vocals going from soft and beautifully mesmerizing to aggressive and amazingly mind-destructive screams. Plus the lyrics are amazing. [B][I]"Suffer now of suffer then. It's bad enough I want the fear. Need the fear." [/I][/B]These lyrics just get to me.

The song itself is about addiction to Ritelin, hence the song title, Vitamin R. But god the song is a prime example of a haurting tune you can't turn. I'm a sucker for the alt-metal/post-grunge scene.[/COLOR][/SIZE][/FONT]

[quote name='Aberinkula][FONT="Book Antiqua"][SIZE="1"][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"]Ugh classical music besides [B]Beethoven[/B] makes me cringe... bleck! XP[/COLOR][/SIZE'][/FONT][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Beethoven split the Classical and Romantic scenes; you're probably thinking about early Classical and Baroque, both of which were kind of prim, yes.

I doubt you've heard much Strauss (even if he [I]did[/I] sit on tonic for [I][U]eight[/U] [U]years[/U][/I] at the end of every piece) or Smetana or Dvorak or Gershwin or stuff that's really intense. Even Reed, who's most likely Neo-classical or sommat, is great; his [I]Russian Christmas Music[/I] is one of the few pieces of music in existence to elicit an openly emotional reaction from me.

Don't knock the old stuff, guys?it's where grunge and metal came from.

Came from Jazz, too, really. But that's a massive essay that I don't want to write. :p[/FONT]

[quote name='Allamorph'][FONT=Arial]Don't knock the old stuff, guys?it's where grunge and metal came from.[/FONT][/QUOTE]That's what I was just thinking. I always do when people bash the stuff and then rave over things that are heavily influenced by it. Heh.

Anyway, I am now listening to this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=akc0v_KTZBM"][U]Beethoven - Piano Concerto no.5[/U][/URL] You're out of luck Prem... You have to like it since it's Beethoven. :p That and the pianist Claudio Arrau... good lord is he good.