OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]All the music from Kingdom Hearts is a masterpiece. But the music from Kingdom Hearts II is phenomenal. Which song was it Sabrina? Probably Simple & Clean or Sanctuary.

Listening to DRAGONFORCE! I bought Inhuman Ram[page today. I just get pissed when people are like "Dragonforce is awesome." Then you ask them they're favorite song and they say "Through the Fire and Flames!" :animesigh Right now I'm listening to, Cry for Eternity.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT= "Franklin Gothic Medium"]Right now I'm hooked on [B]Lifehouse[/B] and that song [I]You and Me[/I]. My girlfriend kinda got the song stuck in my head. I don't mind because it reminds me of her and makes me happy. I need to pick up the tabs so I can play it for her :catgirl:

I'm also listening to

[I]Calling You[/I] by [B]Blue October[/B]
[I]Iris[/I]by [B]The Goo Goo Dolls[/B]
[I]When Two are One[/I] by [B]Atreyu[/B]
[I]Hand of Blood[/I] by [B]Bullet for my Valentine[/B]
[I]She Will Be Loved[/I] by [B]Maroon 5[/B]
[I]Brompton Cocktail[/I] by [B]Avenged Sevenfold[/B][/FONT]

I have been listening to [B]My Hero is Me [/B]and [B]Knives Exchange Hands [/B]both excellent hardcore bands.

My Hero is Me
[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=2639384"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendID=2639384[/URL]

They have a very nice sort of melodic feel to them. They seem like a more musically advanced fastest kid in 5th grade. Very sweet stuff.

Knives Exchange Hands
[URL="http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=5739391"]http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fuseaction=user.viewprofile&friendid=5739391[/URL]

These guys have a sort of death metally vocalist and occasionally they sound a bit grindcore like. But they also have a melodic side. Also their songs have really well thought out rhythms that I enjoy a lot.

Prem check these guys out.

[COLOR="SlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Currently I'm listening to the hard-core/metal band [B]Once Nothing[/B] which since I've heard them have quickly become one of my favorite bands because I feel that even though their songs are a bunch of breakdowns it works and it works REALLY well.

I bought another metal/hard-core CD last night titled; 'Ekklesia' by [B]For Today[/B] and while they are certainly growly they have some neat guitar riffs and their drummer makes good use of off timing double bass kicks so it's pretty nice.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[COLOR="DarkOrchid"][FONT="Times New Roman"]Well I had set my 11 [b]Depeche Mode[/b] albums to endlessly randomize themselves and loop until I was done cleaning my room, when suddenly they started playing "Stripped."

This naturally led me to go wander into the youtube realm to find their music video which didn't exist, but then I found that [b]Shiny Toy Guns[/b] had done an exquisite cover.

[URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZQyb_zV51HM"]Right Here[/URL]

Infinitely better than the horror show of [b]Rammstein's[/b] version. Which is not worth linking anyone to. Ever.[/FONT][/COLOR]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Well, just recently, I bought a hand full of CDs from [B]Between the Buried and Me[/B], [B]HORSE the band[/B], [B]Drop Dead Gorgeous[/B], [B]Breathe Carolina[/B], and [B]Here I Come Falling[/B]. All good bands. HORSE, DDG, and BC all have one thing in common I was looking for... Great synth. I just bought a keyboard, so I've really been listening to alot of stuff that uses keys alot. Here I Come Falling has a keyboardist too, but he only pops in every now and then.

I'm pretty impressed by [B]Between the Buried and Me[/B]. Thanks for recommending them, Ricky. I finally picked something up. [I]The Silent Circus[/I] is a fast-paced, death filled and technical metalcore album, for fans of [B]The Ocean[/B] and F[B]rom A Second Story Window[/B].

Others new bands to my collection are [B]Breathe Carolina[/B] and [B]Here I Come Falling[/B]. Goodness, these two bands are good. BC is filled with techno, with strange boy band vocals, mixed in with screaming. The whole outlook on their EP [I]Gossip,[/I] is good. The only problem, is that some of the songs sound very similar, considering there is no acoustic drums, or guitar. Just synth and electronic drum loops. But this is a good one, for fans of The Medic Droid... and maybe even Metro Station. Here I Come Falling is amazing metalcore from the heart. I read alot of reviews on iTunes that said they sounded exactly like The Devil Wears Prada, and that they were too cliche'. I listened to them, and wow. They're not. They're a metalcore band with deathcore-esque vocals. Death metal vocals mixed with midways exhale screams, breakdowns, a few technical bits here and there, amazing guitar from southern metal to something you might hear from [B]Circa Survive[/B] or [B]As Cities Burn[/B]. Very emotional music, too. I recommend it to fans of Metalcore, that want something a little fresher without a total new feel.

Also, right now I'm listening to [B]Sky Eats Airplane[/B]. Nintendocore like that of HORSE, only less chaotic, with more metalcore influence.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"][quote name='Aberinkula'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"] Then you ask them they're favorite song and they say "Through the Fire and Flames!" :animesigh Right now I'm listening to, Cry for Eternity.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
Dude all Dragonforce songs sound the same. If you've heard TtFaF you've pretty much heard all their songs. lol

[youtube=Proof]MIleK5CRcjo[/youtube]

Right now I'm listening to a lot of Death Cab for Cutie. [b]I Will Possess Your Heart[/b] is amazing. I've also been listening to random ska songs for some reason. Catch 22 and Reel Big Fish to name a few.[/COLOR][/FONT]

[FONT=Arial]Goin' back a bit (again) to [B]Dire Straits[/B], namely [I]Sultans of Swing[/I] and [I]Money for Nothing[/I].

I hate that I can't find this stuff anymore in the music sections without going up to someplace like Tower Records or what, a full ninety-minute inconvenience?not counting traffic. It grates me that my library continues to suffer without the good stuff in it.[/FONT]

[SIZE=1]Currently listening to [B]BB King and Friends - 80[/B]. Got some great collaborations on it, from King and Clapton to Sheryl Crow, Mark Knopfler, Roger Daltrey and even Elton John. It seems to be good music to listen to while doing an immensely boring exam paper on Child Language Acquisition - not too invasive but interesting enough to listen to that I'm not falling asleep.[/SIZE]

[QUOTE]Dude all Dragonforce songs sound the same. If you've heard TtFaF you've pretty much heard all their songs. lol[/QUOTE]
I agree.

Anyhoo I am listening to Miles Davis and Staind's first album. Actually that's in the wrong order. I listen to Tormented (staind's album...) until I get a headache then I switch on Miles Davis and it goes away. A very good system.

Actually that was yesterday. Today I have been listening to Necrophagist and Nile. Mostly because I was to lazy to switch artists that weren't in N. That said they were both pretty decent death metal bands. I would give each of them about a 7 out of 10.

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]
Dude all Dragonforce songs sound the same. If you've heard TtFaF you've pretty much heard all their songs. lol
[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Oh I agree, but you know... it's annoying nonetheless. But despite that being fact, I did buy Inhuman Rampage... all of the songs sound the same! But the older Dragonforce sounds different imo. But, I just like 3 songs from that CD.

Lately I've been listening to the same crap I have been.

And also, to my surprise Waking the Demons by Bullet for my Valentine is an awesome song, I'm going to buy that CD *gasp*[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[quote name='Aberinkula'][COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]Oh I agree, but you know... it's annoying nonetheless. But despite that being fact, I did buy Inhuman Rampage... all of the songs sound the same! But the older Dragonforce sounds different imo. But, I just like 3 songs from that CD.

Lately I've been listening to the same crap I have been.

And also, to my surprise Waking the Demons by Bullet for my Valentine is an awesome song, I'm going to buy that CD *gasp*[/SIZE][/COLOR][/QUOTE]
I thought you didn't like BFMV?

Anyway you need to listen Knives Exchange Hands and My Hero is Me NOW!

Oh yea what I'm listening too...

I am listening to Dope,Chevelle, and Coheed and Cambria. Random songs from random albums.

[b]Caramell[/b]
[i]Caramelldansen Speedycake Remix[/i]

Yes the girls are still dancing in my Otakuboards banner, and I still enjoy this song. Kind of a shame that the girls came from a Hentai anime, though I might watch it anyway after finding out just how bad of a perverted series it is. I can deal with it if it is less than Elfen Lied, though more than that and I wont watch it.

This song is still spreading like the plague as well, I've heard about 20 people in reality listening to it in the past week, thinking it as something new.

[quote name='8bit'][FONT="Tahoma"][COLOR="DimGray"]
Dude all Dragonforce songs sound the same. If you've heard TtFaF you've pretty much heard all their songs. lol[/COLOR][/FONT][/QUOTE]

Not quite. Through the fire and the flames definately sounds different from songs like Operation Ground and Pound, and Revolution DeathSquad is very different in sound from the others.

[quote name='Panache']I thought you didn't like BFMV?

Anyway you need to listen Knives Exchange Hands and My Hero is Me NOW!

Oh yea what I'm listening too...

I am listening to Dope,Chevelle, and Coheed and Cambria. Random songs from random albums.[/QUOTE]

[COLOR="DarkSlateGray"][SIZE="1"]The funny thing is, I don't like the stuff before Scream AIm Fire, the time between SAF and The Poison helped them mature. Now, they're the same guys as before, but more enjoyable.

Dope is the ****, the bassist is Mudvayne's guitarist's brother btw. Awesome song by Chevelle is Comfortable Liar, gotta get the second album.[/SIZE][/COLOR]

[FONT=Arial]Went on a small splurge today, netting me six more CDs for my collection. Foremost among them was [B]The Best Of Dire Straits[/B], which has some [I]very[/I] nice classical guitar-influenced songs, furthering that band on my awesome scale. Also snagged the [I]legitimate[/I] [B]Once[/B] to replace the burned Nightwish disc I have, along with (for no reason, really) the [B]Halo 3 soundtrack[/B]. I saw Ok Go's [B]Oh No[/B] and decided "what the heck", and Kamelot's [B]Ghost Opera[/B] and Opeth's [B]Blackwater Park[/B] rounded out the selection.

(Completely forgot to look for Porcupine Tree, though. Crap.)

After a complete listening, my verdict on Opeth thus far is . . . odd. I [I]really[/I] want to like them; they have a great sound, and Mikael Ã…kerfeldt has a fantastic voice that blends really well with the arranging.

But then he does the screaming?and not just screaming for the effect, but screaming over beautiful guitar licks. Don't get me wrong, I don't mind it when it's done in taste with the surrounding music, but it just seemed to ruin the mood, like sludge poured into a garden. Granted, it's a dank garden, with gnarled trees and twisted undergrowth and heavy soupy mist about chest-high; but I like that ambiance just as much as I like a regular "happy" garden, and sludge is sludge. Ruins everything.

So overall I think I have to rank them about B-. Shame, too; I [I]dug[/I] some of their clean stuff.[/FONT]

[QUOTE]Completely forgot to look for Porcupine Tree, though. Crap[/QUOTE]

!!!!

Porupine Tree is amazing! My favorite Prog Rock band ever!!! Open Car and Don't hate me are both really good songs. You should listen to them now...

Oh yea I have nothing for me here by Dope on repeat. Shut up it's catchy...

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Wait.. is that the song that goes "Theeere's nothing forr meee hereee.... "... Isn't that on Guitar Hero 3? xD Heh... That's definitely one of my least favorites on the game. My most favorite being "Through the Fire and Flames" because its extremely long and fun to play.

About Opeth... don't judge them by the vocals so much, Allamorph. I mean... if everyone judged by vocals, then there would officially be no King Diamond fans. Zing!

I completely disagree with Dragonforce sounded alike on every song. Like. "Storming the Burning Fields" starts off with that creepy riff, and THEN it goes into the thrashing stuff that you get during the middle of TtFaF. And of course, "Body Breakdown" starts out will a really off time sig, before going into the thrashing stuff, like you'd find in "Storming..." only except... without the creepy riff. "The flame of youth" has alot of tapping in the beginning... you know we don't see any of that in their songs...

...oh.... wait...[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[FONT="Arial"]Nine Inch Nails; "Demon Seed"

I downloaded their recent album, The Slip, because it was free. I figured, why not. But upon first listen it was kind of boring. I haven't listened to much NIN in the past, but I sort of get the impression that they're capable of so much more than this. I love "Head Like a Hole," but none of the tracks on this album really stand out much to me.[/FONT]

[QUOTE]Wait.. is that the song that goes "Theeere's nothing forr meee hereee.... "... Isn't that on Guitar Hero 3? xD Heh... That's definitely one of my least favorites on the game. My most favorite being "Through the Fire and Flames" because its extremely long and fun to play. [/QUOTE]Yea it's the only song I really like from Dope at the moment. And Dragonforce sounds extremely boring to me. Some guy with a stupid voice yelling about stupid topics playing fast guitar with little to no feeling.

[QUOTE]About Opeth... don't judge them by the vocals so much, Allamorph. I mean... if everyone judged by vocals, then there would officially be no King Diamond fans. Zing! [/QUOTE]I could understand if he were talking badly about the vocals why this would make sense. But if he's praising them? Why say that? And I disagree. Vocals are very important in my opinion in genres of music that actually have vocals. If you just gonna get some dipshit who can't sing don't have a signer in your band. Be purely instrumental.

[Edit] Bah I didn't read his entire post. I agree with Allamorph still. A lot of bands (not just opeth) sort of throw crap on their flowerpots so to speak with their random screaming.

[quote name='Whoa, Mann][SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]About Opeth... don't judge them by the vocals so much, Allamorph. I mean... if everyone judged by vocals, then there would officially be no King Diamond fans. Zing![/COLOR'][/SIZE][/quote]
[FONT=Arial]:p

Let me clarify real quick: I spoke only of the vocal there not because they were the only thing I didn't like about it, but because the screaming detracted so much from the overall mix of the group?which, as I said before, is really good?that I just couldn't enjoy them when Ã…kerfeldt was doing it. When he was just singing, they sounded fantastic.

[quote name='Panache']!!!![/quote]
I know! :animeangr[/FONT]

Allamorph you should give Jesu a try. I am positive Jesu doesn't cover their sexy riffs with random screaming. Plus they have a really cool trippy but optimistic atmosphere in their music sort of. It's sort of calming but it still is sort of edgy.

I am listening to Jesu now that I am yapping about it. Conquerer to be specific. His repetitive "Ah" sort of create a weird tone to the song. Sort of Droney. Great stuff.

[quote name='Panache']Yea it's the only song I really like from Dope at the moment. And Dragonforce sounds extremely boring to me. Some guy with a stupid voice yelling about stupid topics playing fast guitar with little to no feeling.

I could understand if he were talking badly about the vocals why this would make sense. But if he's praising them? Why say that? And I disagree. Vocals are very important in my opinion in genres of music that actually have vocals. If you just gonna get some dipshit who can't sing don't have a signer in your band. Be purely instrumental.

[Edit] Bah I didn't read his entire post. I agree with Allamorph still. A lot of bands (not just opeth) sort of throw crap on their flowerpots so to speak with their random screaming.[/QUOTE]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Haha... maybe you didn't sense all of my sarcasm aimed towards Dragonforce. I understand why you'd say that, and honestly, whether or not the singer is sucky, I prefer music to have vocals. It just kind of helps me through a song. But, I don't listen just for the vocals... One of my friends found this one band hilarious BECAUSE she has no aspect of music, other than vocals. She's one of the scene, I'd say. She gave me their demo, and I liked them... The vocalist was bad, but the band as a whole was good. A little cliche', but good at what they were doing... Blah.. blah... you know. Let's not try and get into any arguments about vocals of all things... Just, tones against vocals only piss me off, you know? Like [B]Enter Shikari[/B]. The band is one of my top favorites, but the guy cannot scream worth... pooey. But I love them anyway.

I'm listening to [B]The Skies Revolt[/B]. This is what comes off as another mainstream sxcore band, but I listened to them for once, and I like them... The vocalist makes use of both guitar and keys, and he's not bad at keys, I must say, and his guitar work is great along side the lead. I havn't gotten any of the band's newer stuff, but they just released a CD and Comic Book package! HOW COOL IS THAT?

Also listening to [B]Sky Eats Airplane[/B]. Go Sky Eats Airplane.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

edit: Sorry, Allamorph. You may not understand this from my point of view. I enjoy the screaming over clean guitar, and, either way, the clean guitar is still there, so why should the vocals even matter? I'm not trying to get in a fuss. Overall.... the band is a death metal group yes? Screaming is obviously in the nature, but I will not deny that his clean vocals are excellent, maybe because of his ascent. That, I think we can agree on.

[quote name='Panache']Allamorph you should give Jesu a try.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]I'll keep that in mind.

[quote name='Whoa, Mann'][edit: Sorry, Allamorph. You may not understand this from my point of view. I enjoy the screaming over clean guitar, and, either way, the clean guitar is still there, so why should the vocals even matter?[/quote]
That's actually the key difference between our tastes; you're listening to each part as an independent entity, and I listen to hear the mesh. So when I hear Opeth, I don't hear that their style fits with screaming, and so it sounds like screaming for the sake of screaming instead of screaming with the music.

And again, I said "with the music", not "with clean guitar". Whether or not the vocals clash with the guitar isn't as important; I mean, listen to something like [I]They Are There[/I] by Charles Ives and you'll hear massive clashing with melodies that simply do not belong together*, as if you took twelve different songs, put them with your own, and pureed them all together. But they [I]fit[/I], and the screaming doesn't [I]fit[/I]. Instead it seems to want to take over the entire song and do its own thing, instead of matching and blending with the rhythms that the guitar, bass, keys, and drums were all laying down.

So in essence, it sounded more like two different groups when that happened: the band in one corner and Mikael Ã…kerfeldt in the other.

And I'm not attacking you for liking it; I'm just tossing out my stance and making sure you understand why I dislike his particular screaming. (Call me shallow, but I much prefer the screaming in Drowning Pool's [I]Bodies[/I] because it seems to belong there.) I do have one other comment, though.

[QUOTE][I]Overall.... the band is a death metal group yes?[/I][/QUOTE]
As far as I'm concerned, a band should define their genre, not let a genre define them. That to me is the difference between regular bands and (imo) eclectic groups like Porcupine Tree and Nightwish; Porcupine Tree does some aggressive stuff, and then they can turn around and perform laid-back pieces like [I]Trains[/I] and [I]Lazarus[/I]. Nightwish is [I]called[/I] a Metal Opera group, but songs like [I]Sleeping Sun[/I] are more rock ballades than anything commonly associated with Metal. Even Kansas did some screaming back in the day. ([I]Lightning's Hand[/I], if you don't believe me; and granted, it isn't a whole lot, but it's there.)

So I don't care if a band is Death Metal or not. If that's what they play, then cool, if they sound good doing it. But if that's all they allow themselves to play because "they're a death metal band", then that severely diminishes them in my eyes; they have set themselves a box they can't escape.

Incidentally, I laugh a lot when I hear death metal, death core, grunge, metal, metalcore, grungecore, hardcore, hard rock, heavy metal, etc. It seems so silly to have to start your own category just because of a few minor style differences.

Seriously. Romanticism as a style lasted for around seventy, eighty years, and we have to have new individual styles every few odd months? :bellylol:

--------------
*[SIZE="1"]Most of Ives' works are like that, and it's really hard for me to not laugh during his music when he randomly tosses [I]The Star-Spangled Banner[/I] into a quote from something by Dvorak.[/SIZE][/FONT]