OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[quote name='Botar'][color="darkgreen"] Shining Down, by Big D and The Kids Table.

I could never get into the main stream hardcore scene, (Sorry Zen) It's just way over done.[/color][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

What's mainstream hardcore?[/color][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="HotPink"]Listening to [B]Neutral Milk Hotel[/B], old, but still amazing. Indie music, of course. Saxophones, acoustic guitar, lyrics about random things, lo-fi-ness, good stuff.

Getting on to [B]The Smiths[/B] soon, I've been in love with them for a bit now.
[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[color=#9933ff][font=monotype corsiva][size=4]I don't know if I'll get beat for this or not but I am currently listening to [B]The Boys Of Summer[/B] by [B]The Ataris[/B]

Yes I know it's a [B]Don Henley[/B] remake, but I really like the song. I have my reasons dammit![/color][/font][/size]

If you aren't listening to [b]A Day To Remember[/b] right now, I feel sorry for you. One of the best bands ever. Period. Awesome.

GO LISTEN TO THEM![/color][/size]

I am currently listening to this: [URL="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=osdHg6K4M_M"][U]The Black Mages - Battle Theme (FFVI)[/U][/URL] It came up on Pandora, on my classical station. o_O It is interesting and I do like it. But it just seems odd considering the seeds for this paticular station. lol

[color="darkgreen"] I'm listening to Less Than Jake, Malachi Richter's Liquor's Quicker. I've been hooked on this song so much, just look at my sig! check out the song, it rules.

Oh, and Zen, by mainstream hardcore, I mean Sky eats airplane, Crimson Armada, A day to remenber, 4 years strong, Attack Attack, and so on, so forth. I can deal, and enjoy the screaming in Rise Against and Against Me! But not mainstream. It's the endorsers of the genera that pisses me off and drives me away, but I love skinny jeans and studed belts, just hate the scene kids and there attitude.[/color]

[quote name='Botar'][color="darkgreen"]

Oh, and Zen, by mainstream hardcore, I mean Sky eats airplane, Crimson Armada, A day to remenber, 4 years strong, Attack Attack, and so on, so forth. I can deal, and enjoy the screaming in Rise Against and Against Me! But not mainstream. It's the endorsers of the genera that pisses me off and drives me away, but I love skinny jeans and studed belts, just hate the scene kids and there attitude.[/color][/QUOTE]

Rise Against and Against Me! scream? I listen to both bands and I haven't heard it in either of them. I mean, loud, gravely singing isn't screaming. And the vocals don't really make it mainstream. Mainstream is the last thing I'd consider those bands, because the biggest stage any of them have been on is Vans Warped Tour, and they didn't even headline.

I mean, I dislike douchebags, but scene kids by defintion are just people who listen to underground music, support local music and bands, and attend 'shows' at local venues. I mean, if a scene kid is a douche, then dislike them, go for it. But I mean, by definition, I could be called a scene kid. And I don't find that to be negative.

On subjet, [b]Drop Dead, Gorgeous[/b] is coming to my town in a month. I'm going to go see them I hope, and I'm excited.[/color][/size]

[color="darkgreen"]I just remember in highschool just about all the scene kids were duchebags, so my view on hardcore has been slanted by the ones who represented it, but i'll give some of the bands another go around. But I have found that alot of hardcore bands love to use hardcore break downs, like the song smells like kevin bacon by iwrestledabareonce, and I really didn't like it, also 4 years strong, I gave them a go not to long ago, and I wasn't impressed. i'll give it a shot, but I will always love Ska and Punk![/color]

[quote name='Botar'][color="darkgreen"]I just remember in highschool just about all the scene kids were duchebags, so my view on hardcore has been slanted by the ones who represented it, but i'll give some of the bands another go around. But I have found that alot of hardcore bands love to use hardcore break downs, like the song smells like kevin bacon by iwrestledabareonce, and I really didn't like it, also 4 years strong, I gave them a go not to long ago, and I wasn't impressed. i'll give it a shot, but I will always love Ska and Punk![/color][/QUOTE]

Well, breakdowns are just a staple in that genre. Anything with a hardcore influence is going to have a break down. But [b]Four Year Strong[/b] and [b]iwrestledabearonce[/b] are about as different as they get within that spectrum. I mean, some people just don't dig it. But I like intense, energetic music.

It doesn't get much more intense. I listen to (or have listened to) everything, and when I say that, I mean it. It just can't find any other music that gives me that feeling that deathcore/metalcore/hardcore (etc) does. I love it to the point where I actually have an audition to try out as vocalist for a band in a few days.

Also, I'm one of those people you probably hate who hardcore dance... :rolleyes: But you can't blame me. I'm a dancer regardless, and a martial artist on top of that. It's like a combo of the two, haha.

But I'm sorry your local scene kids were jerks. It happens. I come from a smaller community than you I'm thinking, so everybody is friends with everybody else, and douchebag people usually are hated by all. So yeah. All my 'scene' friends are generally chill people.

Anyways. Here's a song that I've been listening to alot of recently.

[center]
[YOUTUBE= Parkway Drive - "Romance Is Dead"]DScZ42PPIyo[/YOUTUBE][/center]

[/color][/size]

[color="darkgreen"] Zen, you seem like a cool guy, and I know what you meen about the feeling you get from you're genera of music, I fell the same way when I listen to Pints Of Guinness Make You Stronger, by Against Me! and other good Punk bands. Also, I don't mind the hardcore dancing, but our scene, (Newark Ohio) the scene kids try to windmill there way into our mosh pits and it's really annoying if you know what I mean. So I don't hate all scene kids, it's just i've been subjected to duchebags who represent hardcore, but you seem level minded and fare, so there might be hope after all.[/color]

Most modern hardcore leaves a bad taste in my mouth, metalcore/deathcore especially. Is it intense? Sure, but it just feels like a cartoon intensity to me--a bunch of 20-somethings trying to make something more spectacular of themselves than they really are. I can deal with some '90s stuff, and I'm giving United Nations a chance, but other than that, everything except oldschool hardcore just seems to lack a certain vitality.

Lately, I've been working on my familiarity with the chip music scene by finally getting around to some Bit Shifter and Anamanaguchi. I was pretty disappointed with Bit Shifter's [I]Information Chase[/I]; just a bunch of brainless dance tunes put together on a Gameboy, although "Hexadecimal Genome" was quite a highlight. Anamamaguchi, though, is ****ing great. Their free EP, [I]Power Supply[/I], is inventive, filled-out (three band members'll do that for ya), and really intense. I also listened to their album [I]Dawn Metropolis[/I] on their site, and it's even better. Really talented stuff, I might have to buy it.

I also listened to Starscream, and while their rougher, noisier approach to chiptune is a nice contrast to most of the stuff out there, I might have to give them a bit more time to grow on me.

[quote name='John']Most modern hardcore leaves a bad taste in my mouth, metalcore/deathcore especially. Is it intense? Sure, but it just feels like a cartoon intensity to me--a bunch of 20-somethings trying to make something more spectacular of themselves than they really are. I can deal with some '90s stuff, and I'm giving United Nations a chance, but other than that, everything except oldschool hardcore just seems to lack a certain vitality.
[/QUOTE]

See, I feel the opposite. I mean, I like Black Flag and Dead Kennedy's quite a bit, but old hardcore just isn't heavy enough for me. It just doesn't pump me up and make me want to do reckless things the way that metalcore and deathcore do. Though lately I've been listening to alot of screamo and post-hardcore, deathcore and metalcore combine the intensity of hardcore with the heaviness of metal which I really, really like. It just fits in for me.

Just ain't for everyone.

But what's wrong with 20-somethings wanting to making something spectacular of themselves for 2-4 minutes at a time on stage? Isn't that kind of the spirit of rock 'n' roll? I mean, every rock star is human. They're only rock stars when they are performing. It's not like Elvis pooped diamond encrusted turds, haha.[/color][/size]

[SIZE="1"]Right now I'm listening to the soundtrack of [b]Age of Conan[/b], in particular a piece which plays during the Conall Valley segments of the game called [url=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aWC554j9gJ0][I]The Dreaming Anew- Memories of Cimmeria[/I][/url].[/SIZE]

[quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]

See, I feel the opposite. I mean, I like Black Flag and Dead Kennedy's quite a bit, but old hardcore just isn't heavy enough for me. It just doesn't pump me up and make me want to do reckless things the way that metalcore and deathcore do. Though lately I've been listening to alot of screamo and post-hardcore, deathcore and metalcore combine the intensity of hardcore with the heaviness of metal which I really, really like. It just fits in for me.

Just ain't for everyone.

But what's wrong with 20-somethings wanting to making something spectacular of themselves for 2-4 minutes at a time on stage? Isn't that kind of the spirit of rock 'n' roll? I mean, every rock star is human. They're only rock stars when they are performing. It's not like Elvis pooped diamond encrusted turds, haha.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[color="darkgreen"] I have to go with Zen on this one, Dead kennedys will always kick ***, but I need stuff thats a little harder, if you know what I mean, like Rise Against, still punk, but alot more heaver and gets me pumped. And It's fun to be in the lime-light once in awile, thats why If you want to feel like god for a 15 minutes, fine by me. But thats just my slant on things.

I'm listening to Malachi Richter's Liquors Quicker by Less Than Jake, again. I love the song to death, It gets me pumped.[/color]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Right now I'm listening to Taking Cassandra to the End of the World party by Fear Before. It's one of the best songs by these guys and it's from The Always Open Mouth. That's the last album before they changed their band name.

Fear Before, in my opinion, is one of the cooler bands in their genre. If not for their musical prowress, but for their lyrics and how trippy their songs are. Now the CD Fear Before is their awesome as all hell. My username is the name of track 5 from the CD. They have a lot of guest vocalists in this CD too, especially in Review our Lives (Epic).

Two really awesome bands are iwrestledabearonce and wecamewithbrokenteeth. Iwrestledabearonce is just random as all hell, considering the fact that in the middle of one of their songs they start playing the inspector gadget theme. And as for their song Alaskan Flounder Basket, the beginning is hilarious. (It quotes a line from Scary Movie 2) As for wecamewithbrokenteeth, they aren't that good, but its fun to listen to them. They use electric drums so it doesn't really have the same old spirit as other bands, but they do have some funny song titles.[/FONT]

[quote name='Jabberwocky'][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Right now I'm listening to Taking Cassandra to the End of the World party by Fear Before. It's one of the best songs by these guys and it's from The Always Open Mouth. That's the last album before they changed their band name.

Fear Before, in my opinion, is one of the cooler bands in their genre. If not for their musical prowress, but for their lyrics and how trippy their songs are. Now the CD Fear Before is their awesome as all hell. My username is the name of track 5 from the CD. They have a lot of guest vocalists in this CD too, especially in Review our Lives (Epic).

Two really awesome bands are iwrestledabearonce and wecamewithbrokenteeth. Iwrestledabearonce is just random as all hell, considering the fact that in the middle of one of their songs they start playing the inspector gadget theme. And as for their song Alaskan Flounder Basket, the beginning is hilarious. (It quotes a line from Scary Movie 2) As for wecamewithbrokenteeth, they aren't that good, but its fun to listen to them. They use electric drums so it doesn't really have the same old spirit as other bands, but they do have some funny song titles.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

Me, you, and Nomurah! will get along just fine.[/color][/size]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]That sounds excellant Zen ;)

Now, onto the music!

Right now I'm just listening to Palms Read by Protest the Hero. I love this band, they're perfect when going on a walk because they make you want to just go out and have an adventure. Two other really good songs by them are Sequoia Throne and Bloodmeat. The vocalist sounds like an opera singer in Sequoia Throne as he sings about aliens and space. And as for Bloodmeat, he sings about various rulers and great warriors such as Genghis Kahn and you can't help but scream/sing along to the lyrics. Plus the guitar and bass adds to the soundgasm.

I sugget if you're into music with a sense of adventure, you listen to them.

Next I'm going to listen to Red because I'm in the mood for their awesome Duran Duran cover.[/FONT]

[color="darkgreen"] I to am dggin Jabberwocky, he explains things very well, now I just got to get him into punk and ska, nice to meet you Jabberwocky, hope you become a regular here.

I'm listening to my mom snore down stairs, its terrible.[/color]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Haha, thanks for the comforting welcome guys. And I think I'll be here for a while.

As for right now, I'm listening to Metallica's All Nightmare Long. Something about Metallica just makes my heart warm with nastalgia and of coarse, awesome head bangy-ness... okay that's not even a word.

Anyways, yeah man, Metallica! [/FONT]

[quote name='John']Is it intense? Sure, but it just feels like a cartoon intensity to me--a bunch of 20-somethings trying to make something more spectacular of themselves than they really are.[/quote]
[FONT=Arial]Sums up my feelings pretty well. But I've started experimenting around and looking for names that aren't (or weren't) household, and looking for taste over marketing. I'll get back on that note when I find/get into something I can set down more definitely.

On a related note (not genre), heard a song today with the line [I]"I don't want to be anything other than what I've been tryin' to be lately"[/I]. I laughed so hard I about drove off the road. I mean, really? That's, like, normal. Why are you singing about it like it's amazing?

I love fail!lyrics.

Currently: [B]Sun Rises Down[/B], Acroma. (imeem is being funky at the moment. Nothing on YouTube. Otherwise I'd have a link.)[/FONT]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Well, right now I'm listening to Fear Before... AGAIN! I just can't stress how awesome I think this band is. They aren't my absolute favorite, but they're climbing the ladder to number 4 on my list. And yes, I have a list of favorite bands, so sue me.

Anyhow, I'm gunna beat a dead horse till it turns to powder! Listen to some Fear Before if you know what's good for you. If you don't like screaming too much, just look up some songs from their newest album Fear Before. Two songs that are worthy of listening too are Tree Man and of coarse, Jabberwocky... hmm, also Fear Before Doesn't Listen to People Who Don't Like Them is a good song. And yes, the title is [I]that [/I]long.

I guess I'll just listen to Circle Takes the Square next so I don't talk for hours about Fear Before. :animesigh[/FONT]

[quote name='Zen'][COLOR=royalblue][SIZE=1]See, I feel the opposite. I mean, I like Black Flag and Dead Kennedy's quite a bit, but old hardcore just isn't heavy enough for me. It just doesn't pump me up and make me want to do reckless things the way that metalcore and deathcore do. Though lately I've been listening to alot of screamo and post-hardcore, deathcore and metalcore combine the intensity of hardcore with the heaviness of metal which I really, really like. It just fits in for me.

Just ain't for everyone.

But what's wrong with 20-somethings wanting to making something spectacular of themselves for 2-4 minutes at a time on stage? Isn't that kind of the spirit of rock 'n' roll? I mean, every rock star is human. They're only rock stars when they are performing. It's not like Elvis pooped diamond encrusted turds, haha.[/SIZE][/COLOR][/quote] I meant "make something spectacular of themselves" musically, not as it pertains to the state of actually being in a band. It seems like in most of the stuff nowadays, there's no honest passion behind the aggression--it's just being fast and heavy for the sake of being fast and heavy, and I prefer to listen to something that in some way, any way, justifies the aggression it displays. In fact, it was reading Minor Threat's lyrics and several of the early bands' stories that drew me to the genre when I had barely heard any of the music at all.

[FONT=Arial]Just wanted to note that I'm really enjoying the actual discussion that's resurfaced again, and that no one seems to feel the need to bother with the "you suck for listening to this type of music" crap that you can find about a year back in this thread.

Nickelback's [B]Dark Horse[/B] album showed up in the mail recently for no reason. Any essential thoughts from anyone before I give it a listen? (Might as well, you know. No reason not to.) How generic have they gotten, if they're generic at all? Scanned through the lyrics, and nothing seems to jump out impressively. My eyebrow went up a couple of times, though.

Currently: [URL="http://www.last.fm/music/Mythos/_/Icarus"][COLOR="Blue"][B]Icarus[/B][/COLOR][/URL], Mythos. Love the bass. Too bad I can't hear it on this laptop. :animeangr[/FONT]