OtakuBoards

What Are You Listening To?

.:[ Revy ]:.

[quote name='Zen'][color=royalblue][size=1]

This is truth.

Nobody has their sound. Nobody.[/color][/size][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]And nobody should ever gain their sound. Oliver Sykes is one of a kind, in my opinion anyways. I idolize his vocal work, along with Tommy Rogers' vocal work. Both of them are my well, vocal idols hahaha

Anyways, I looked everywhere for a proper video of the song Higinia by Blessthefall, I love that song. Oh, and along with Suicide Season I bought Ruination by Job for a Cowboy, it's not as good as Doom, but it's still not that bad at all.

Now all I need to do is get the UnderOath CD Lost in the Sound of Seperation. I swear I must have listened to Too Bright to See Too Loud to Hear at least 50 times last night at my friend's house.

I'm also thinking about buying The Used's new CD once it comes out. And of coarse the new Between the Buried and Me album, I can't wait for more than 2 months for it! I'm practically seething!

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Anyone listen to post hardcore any more?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I think the newest Silverstein CD is considered Post-Hardcore? At least from what I've heard. Well if so, it's one of my favorite albums right now. At The Drive-in is a good band though, The Mars Volta may be better, but ATDI is still pretty kickass.[/FONT]

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Ughh, UnderOath, Find a better band, no offence, but the vocals are rubish![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I don't really prefer Spencer Chamberlain's vocals that much either. His clean vocals are good, but as for his screaming, it's not that great. But the band itself isn't half-bad either. I used to ADORE them until I heard a lot of the better stuff out there.

You know, I almost forgot about the recent show in my district last week! A band called South-Hollywood Shootout did a cover of Reptar, King of the Ozone by the Devil Wears Prada. A kid who just graduated this year did the clean parts and I have to say, they pulled it off nicely. Also, From This Day played their last show there as well, I've heard they're bigger overseas, so maybe some people here have heard of them?[/FONT]

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]For me, if the vocals don't work, the bands bad, not individualy, but as a whole, know what i'm sayin?

Jack knife to a swan - MightyMightyBosstones.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]To be honest, I do. One band whom I can't stand at all because of their vocalist is Thursday. I don't know why but I can't stand the vocalist after seeing one of their videos I cringed. But for bands like Underoath, the clean vocals save them.

My friend can't stand the vocalist of Drop Dead Gorgous. While I admit I've never heard a song by them, considering how close our tastes are I don't know if I'd like them either.

I'm still wondering if Abigail Williams is a good band?[/FONT]

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]What genera is Abigail Williams? Also, good to see we meet eye to eye, Have you tried ska out? You might dig it, I do.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I've heard a bit of it, and I think it's pretty cool. Is Anti-flag ska? My other friend talks about them and described them as ska once.

As for Abigail Williams, I'm not entirely sure. Something tells me they might sound like Bleed The Sky or The Acacia Strain? I'm not sure why though.

Wow, apparantly I was waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay way way way off, Wiki says they are Symphonic Black Metal. Now wiki may not be the best source, but still, I'm worried that I got them waay off like that.[/FONT]

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Anyone listen to post hardcore any more?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[color=royalblue][size=1]

Lots.

[b]Glassjaw[/b] anyone?

Or how about some [b]Alexisonfire[/b] and [b]A Skylit Drive[/b]?

And yes, Jabber, Oli Sykes is definetly one of the best, if not the best, screamers/vocalists in music ever. His range is basically untouchable. And he just puts out such a vicious vibe. It can't be described in any other way... just vicious.[/color][/size]

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]What genera is Abigail Williams? Also, good to see we meet eye to eye, Have you tried ska out? You might dig it, I do.[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

I file [b]Abigail Williams[/b] (and band I discovered very shortly before their big break) as somewhere between [b] Behemoth[/b] and [b]Black Dahlia Murder[/b], so... Blackened Deathcore, hahahaha.

I tried out a little Ska. There's not to much that I'm really, really into.

I mean, I liked [b]No Doubt[/b] when they were out, they're kinda ska-ish. I downloaded a bunch of [b]Less Than Jake[/b], [b]Big D and the Kids Table[/b], and[b] Streetlight Manifesto[/b] after I heard that [b]Less Than Jake[/b] were doing horns on [b]Four Year Strong[/b]'s cover of "Spiderwebs" by [b]No Doubt[/b], which is excellent.

Speaking of [b]Four Year Strong[/b], are there any fans here? Pioneers in the happy hardcore/pop-punk genre. They are amazing. They just released a new album called "Explains It All" which is cover album filled with big singles from the nineties that influenced them.[/color][/size]

[SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Currently listening to [B]Cobra Skulls[/B] new album 'American Rubicon'.

If you don't know who [B]Cobra Skulls[/B] are, you're missing out. They're a punk band from Reno, Nevada and they are awesome. All kinds of politically charged songs, and even some about nearly-underage sex. Stuff all you hipsters enjoy.

Went to their concert last night and they tore the place down.[/COLOR][/SIZE]

[quote name='silpheedpilot'][SIZE="1"][COLOR="SlateGray"]Stuff all you hipsters enjoy.
[/COLOR][/SIZE][/QUOTE]

Me, you, Jabberwocky, Nomurah!, and Botar are what you would call "in the scene".[/color][/size]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Well good day for me, I got a new MP3! And I thought I'd be missing my music for longer than this. Well, right now I'm just diggin' some BMTH while my mom watches the news. Lately I've been thinking about buying Ten by Pearl Jam, I can't help but admit I like them. The songs Alive and Jeremy are pretty good, umung the others. And sometimes nothing's better than some good ol' grunge rock.

You know Zen, I'm beginning to believe Oli may just be the best vocalist for his genre. His vocals in Count Your Blessings were really good, and they're even better in Suicide Season. So I can't wait to see what the next CD is going to dish out. As for his vocals being vicious, I can agree. I love the emotion in his vocals. In my opinion the song Suicide Season is one of the best examples of the emotion he puts into songs. The same can be said for This Sadness Will Never End.

Also, No Need for Introductions, I've Read About Girls Like You on the Backs of Toilet Doors is one of the most amazing song names ever.[/FONT]

[COLOR="DarkGreen"]If we can take this to the best vocalist ever, i'll have to go with Michael Acherfeld. His cleans are heavenly and his growls are demonic. Opeth wouldn't be as good as they are without him. Who do you think is the best vocalist out there?[/COLOR]

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]If we can take this to the best vocalist ever, i'll have to go with Michael Acherfeld. His cleans are heavenly and his growls are demonic. Opeth wouldn't be as good as they are without him. Who do you think is the best vocalist out there?[/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]He is a very good vocalist indeed. I love hearing his voice despite only hearing Opeth, 10 times in my whole life haha[/FONT]

[quote name='Jabberwocky'][FONT="Palatino Linotype"]
You know Zen, I'm beginning to believe Oli may just be the best vocalist for his genre. His vocals in Count Your Blessings were really good, and they're even better in Suicide Season. So I can't wait to see what the next CD is going to dish out. As for his vocals being vicious, I can agree. I love the emotion in his vocals. In my opinion the song Suicide Season is one of the best examples of the emotion he puts into songs. The same can be said for This Sadness Will Never End.

Also, No Need for Introductions, I've Read About Girls Like You on the Backs of Toilet Doors is one of the most amazing song names ever.[/FONT][/QUOTE]

The way he switches between different scream styles on the entire [b]Suicide Season[/b] album is amazing to me. He does a really amazing Frank Carter-style old school hardcore yell, his signature, vicious highs and some damn brutal lows. With the exception of clean vocals he has the most range out there. So I agree, he is the best of the best when it comes to screams.

Other favorites include Leo Miller from [b]Animosity[/b], Jeremy McKinnon from [b]A Day To Remember[/b], and Mitch Lucker from [b]Suicide Silence[/b]. I have alot of idols.[/color][/size]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]My favorite vocalist of all time? Well that's easy, Claudio Sanchez of Coheed and Cambria. I've always loved his falsetto, his voice just makes me beileve the emotion of his songs. Also, he can do a fricken' crow scream that knocks your socks off. Listen to the first 30 seconds of the song Hearhshot Kid Disaster and you'll know what I mean. The bassist Michael Todd can do some harsh vocals as well, in the song In Keeping Secrets of Silent Earth he does backround vocals and he and do some pretty gnarly things.

My second favorite vocalist is Pete Loffler of Chevelle. He reminds me of Maynard James Keenan with his change between harsh and clean, but I like his voice better. Also, he is an amazing lyricist. The lyrics in his songs like In Debt to Earth, Vitamin R (Leading us Along) and a bunch more are brilliant. Oh, I missed Jars, their new single which is brilliant both lyrically and vocally. And for a more maintstream band they sure are different from a lot of their brethren. A lot of the big metal-heads at my school even agree Chevelle is pretty kick-***.

Then of coarse there is Oliver Sykes and Between the Buried and Me's Tommy Giles Rogers Jr. Oli is my favorite screamer, but I favor Tommy only because he has an inredible range in terms of clean vocals. If you watch the DVD for Colors and listen to Aspirations, he goes extremely high. And there's Mordecai which is just an orgasm of pure viciousness with an onslaught of elegance towards the end.

Damn... I just remembered the vocalist of Fear Before is also amazing. He did some guest work in Prequel to the Sequel heading into minute 6, with Tommy and him it was amazing. I could just imagine him, Oliver and Tommy together... damn...

Anyways, right now I'm listening to Love me Dead by Ludo, there's nothing heavy about them but this song is down right awesome and funny. I suggest watching the video to the song, it's pretty good. If you want to see someone who looks like a nerd, just look at the band's lead singer.[/FONT]

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]I still go with Michael Acherfeld. His growls are **** tastic and his cleans are perfect. [/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]Hmm, you know, now that we're on the subject of vocalists, who's your LEAST favorite vocalist?

Mine would have to be James Blunt... 'nuff said...[/FONT]

[quote name='Botar'][COLOR="DarkGreen"]Didn't UnderOath have a chick leade singer before? I just remember a horrible women lead singer in a band like that. I also hate Sex pistols vocalist. Man did they blow a load![/COLOR][/QUOTE]

[FONT="Palatino Linotype"]I prefer loads to be blown from good music haha. And, I don't think UnderOath started with a chick? They did have a different lead singer. I'll look that up. For sure that would change my image on them. Sure, Spencer's screams are neither original nor great, but with his clean vocals and the band's work, the band is good on that.

You know the guy from the Sex Pistols is, indeed, pretty horrible. He was a judge on Bodog's Battle of the Bands on Fuse, but I think he sucks testicles.

And speaking of lead singer's, Blessthefall's lead singer is HORRIBLE when put in Escape the Fate. In Blessthefall he does a good job but EtF is not themselves anymore with him. Too bad what's his face had to go punch someone, otherwise we'd have him :animesigh[/FONT]